Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

where do you get the ideas for creating your houses

Comments

• Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I love the sims 4 build mode cos it makes things easier for people like me. Being able to pick up and move entire rooms or buildings, or delete rooms etc when you have made a mistake - so convenient and time-saving!

I really wish they had more roof options though, and it bugs me that the apex roofs have a different edge finish than the hipped roofs, so it makes it difficult to combine them on one building - the one sort hangs over the edge of the wall nicely and the other doesn't.

This X 1000. :( We NEED more roof options. Why did they give us a beautiful curved porch option, and no curved roof to go with it? Or an easier way to make roofs over a bay window? Or a conical option for towers? They made building so much easier in TS4, but the roofing is terrible.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,623 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »
    I build real homes that I have lived in or see on my drives to work. I've also tried homes from TV shows, but I find most of the time the insides do not actually match the outside.

Also, google floor plans. I find really nice ideas there. :)

Don't be afraid to post pics of your builds. Even if you think they are no good, I bet they are, and you'll get constructive criticism that can be helpful.

Amen to that. I positively am not so good with roofs. LOL A very kind Simmer offered to help fix my Legacy house, which she did. I'm grateful. Also, I need to learn how to landscape. Curb appeal is so very important, after all.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    lotarylotary Posts: 111 Member
    I love the sims 4 build mode cos it makes things easier for people like me. Being able to pick up and move entire rooms or buildings, or delete rooms etc when you have made a mistake - so convenient and time-saving!

I really wish they had more roof options though, and it bugs me that the apex roofs have a different edge finish than the hipped roofs, so it makes it difficult to combine them on one building - the one sort hangs over the edge of the wall nicely and the other doesn't.

I second this: the sims 4 building tools being 'non-expert builder friendly' and the roofs as well. I often get frustrated when it comes to roofing. I hope they come with more roof options and the automatic roof feature like we had in TS3.

And for house inspiration... my inspiration comes from the sims themselves. Who are they? What's their hobbies/occupations? Do they like to try new things or more conservative (you can just go with your imagination for this part)? E.g.: if your Sim is a writer and you imagine them as a conservative one, you may want to build them a library + writing room, and thus you go with classic theme for overall appearance. If your sim is a goofball, you may want to go with bright colors and popping stuff to decorate their house. But If I'm really stuck, opening the gallery and learn how other builders build their houses helps me to get inspired, too.
    Origin ID: lotary00
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,616 Member
    I like to look through the catalogue at The Sims Resource to get inspiration. I would also google images.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    LiseliljeLiselilje Posts: 33 Member
    I get my inspiration from looking at houses when im walking arounnd. I get inspiration from movies, shows, housing and real estate shows.
    My houses tend to have a mix between a Danish and an American vibe. The outer structure and layout mixes it together.
    I like to switch between traditional and modern styles, and sometimes build a traditional house that looks it has a new modern addition to it.
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    edited October 2016
    I decide on a style (see walking around, TV etc.) and then google plans or images of that style. It's next to impossible to recreate accurately but it gives a good starting off point. My current house was about 50,000 originally (wasn't their first house obviously) and I just keep adding on as they can afford it and they now have a 200,000 house with a rocket pad in the 2nd basement level so the rocket is in a launch pit (for want of a better word) and you can see down into the basement (pit is windowed) and second basement from the garden and only the tip of the rocket and a fence is all you can see unless you look into the pit. I love building as they can afford it.

edit - like this.

modern%20house%20original.jpg
    I fancied doing a modern build so I found this image.

and sort of copied it, as far as the sims would let me.
    modern%20house%20morning.jpg
    Morning
    modern%20houseafternoon.jpg
    Afternoon

Obviously I ended up adding bits of my own and it's not landscaped or anything (No rooms yet, just stairs because I wanted stacking stairs and it's easier to do it without room constraints, at least I find it easier.). I have also picked up a few build 'tricks' (not really tricks but easier ways of doing stuff) by watching lots of building videos (The Sim Supply on YouTube does really good builds, especially for modern type builds). I think it was him that said build a box then keep adding bits on until it looks like you want it to.

The house won't be to everyone's taste and compared to others it really isn't great but it's a pretty big leap from my first houses. Excuse the family milling about in the foreground it's for them so I have to move them in to keep a track of money (They have a fair bit after selling the old place so at least they'll have furniture this time!).
    Post edited by jeepjeepcat on
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I think about how many sims will be living in the house and will the kids be sharing. what hobbies do they have and what can they afford.
    I start with a basic room this is the hub of the house, I always have a hub in this will go the kitchen, diner and living room. the reason is my sims like to watch telly while eating and even if the telly is in a different room when eating they look through the walls to watch telly, also when friends come over there is more seating and they don't all have to file out into the living room to watch a movie. so I have it all in one room. off this main room I have the bedrooms and bathroom. I don't bother with hall ways. My inspiration is a dolls house, it has to work for playing and making sure I haven't built it too big that it takes sims a long time to get around it. I start with the basics.
    when they have more money I will expand the rooms and start adding another bathroom or bedroom. so my house grows where it is needed.
    for the roof I like nearly flat roofs . I don't usually bother with the sticky out bits because we cant use them as actual rooms. I wish we could use the roof space as a room. But I cant even put down tiles over the top floor like we can in sims 3. so its wasted space to me. I never see the roof anyway. and neither do my sims.

Build what you like and you can always change it while playing, if it doesn't work play around with it a little at a time.
  • Options
    QtKawaiiQtKawaii Posts: 37 Member
    Hmm. What I do is I just start off with one room, and before long I have a huge house. It all just comes from the imagination. I was bad when I first started, so you'll get better with practise. :smile:
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Pinterest :D
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member

Was literally about to say this
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Well, sometimes it just starts with a silly idea. For instance, "Hey, I'd like to make a floating house!" or "What if there was a house based on the structure of mushrooms?" Then, I just go from there.

You can also try creative exercises like trying to build the best underground mansion you can, building the most depressing starter home possible, trying to use a huge lot to the fullest from end to end with the maximum number of floors and all, and trying to make the most interesting home you can under a certain budget. But, the key is to challenge yourself.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    portroyal56portroyal56 Posts: 38 Member
    Pinterest is great for inspo! I like to look at floor plans and then design my own take based on them!
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited October 2016
    My homes temd to be rather uninspired.
    I tend to build my homes around basic principles of efficient routing,. space conservation (without breaking rule one) and the best bang for the buck for comfort and environmental scores. this tends to limit my options quite a bit for starters.

Once the house becomes too small for their stuff, and they have enough Simoleans I tear it down and build the house around their objects...(or just exapnd it if I like the basic layout.)

• Options
    tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »

Was literally about to say this

Aha same! I have a dream home board, color scheme board, and a Sims house board. I sometimes get on my iPad while I'm building and use the things I have pinned that I liked for inspiration when I build.
  • Options
    SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    I'm usually just driving around with my mum and then I see a really cool house and think, "I could make that in the Sims." I love doing the interior designs/floor plans, I just hate doing the outside. I can never seem to make it pretty on the outside and the inside. But hey, building just takes a lot of practice. No one starts out freakishly good at building. I will admit, though, building on the Sims 4 is much easier than on the Sims 3.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Google Maps is a good resource to use when you are trying to build a real house you've passed. I feel pretty creepy doing it, but it beats trying to take actual picture of strangers' homes.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    another thing I do is if it has stairs and after a while it will, I put theb to the back or to one side, out of the way so I can pan in and out and not have to go around the stairs.
  • Options
    CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    I know my houses are not the best, nor the greatest. However I do feel like I'm improving with my landscaping. I get my muse from traditional houses you see, I'm not the one for these modern homes. I do try.
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Honestly, just build a lot. I also watch building videos on youtube. The Sim Supply mostly, but there are others. When I was first learning, I would download a house I liked from the gallery and take a really good look at it. Then try to build my own version. A caution here, start on a clean lot if you want to upload your version, or it will look like you are trying to steal someone else's work.

Just build. Try new things. You will get better.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Pinterest
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited October 2016
    Either from real life or from other Simmers, although a lot of the time I'll just wing it and build each room individually and work with whatever the result is - I've actually built my best houses this way.
  • Options
    kailayykailayy Posts: 678 Member
    edited October 2016
    Pinterest. I have boards for exterior, interior and house plans and use them as inspiration.

f83dfb1c9b73678c25af9b6044949efa.gif
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    So I keep seeing people who build houses and usually they are way better then mine. (honestly mine are usually not that great) anyways i am curious where you guys get the ideas to be able build your houses cuz I would really love to build more creative houses but I feel like i cant.

I usually focus on balancing comfort with functionality since there aren't enough matching textures or decor to create anything which would be considered stylish and the sims tend to remain in any area with a television.

Sims need at least a 1/2 bathroom ratio, two units of walking space to any active area (which may mean two staircases if there is high activity on upper floors), at least two units of free counter space, an alternate option for every function in case of failure (microwave/stove, sink/dishwasher, bath/shower, two computers, at least two sims with cooking and repair skills), one entertainment area if you want them to socialize autonomously at a specific location, otherwise you'll have to lock doors, etc.

While considering the requirements, you should try designating substitutes for non-existent objects/textures. You may be able to scale an object or align multiple to create a structure which is similar to what you desire, however you must imagine the product first, and you should focus on what you want your characters to do with the space (or at least what you would do with it in reality). Looking at other designs is not necessarily a good way to find inspiration.

As a starting point, it might also help to consider the layouts of your own home, and the homes of your friends, then add styles and decor which are visually appealing to you.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Also, for me, it depends on whethed I am building for aesthetics or game play. For game paly, I just build a reasonable.house that works. For example, I tend to have problem with the camera bounce. So if it's a house I am playing I will build down rather than up. For aesthetics, I will build a second or more floors as needed.
  • Options
    Racheltje_RRacheltje_R Posts: 2 New Member
    I look up cute houses on weheartit and rebuild them! I would like to show you an example, but i'm new so I can't post pictures yet :(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top