Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

where do you get the ideas for creating your houses

So I keep seeing people who build houses and usually they are way better then mine. (honestly mine are usually not that great) anyways i am curious where you guys get the ideas to be able build your houses cuz I would really love to build more creative houses but I feel like i cant.

Comments

• Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I build real homes that I have lived in or see on my drives to work. I've also tried homes from TV shows, but I find most of the time the insides do not actually match the outside.

Also, google floor plans. I find really nice ideas there. :)

Don't be afraid to post pics of your builds. Even if you think they are no good, I bet they are, and you'll get constructive criticism that can be helpful.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    The Sims3 forums had this great thread/group Builders 101 (or something similar). Anyway they had all these tips and the biggest I got off them where
    -use a house plan. Personally I browse houseplans.com
    -select your colour palette before you start decorating. Too much colour in one space doesn't tend to look so good.

Course, that's just me.

But it means I start off with a family/household in mind (am I building for a single Sim, a flat of varied young adults, a family) and I find a plan that I like to suit their needs.
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »
    I build real homes that I have lived in or see on my drives to work. I've also tried homes from TV shows, but I find most of the time the insides do not actually match the outside.

Don't be afraid to post pics of your builds. Even if you think they are no good, I bet they are, and you'll get constructive criticism that can be helpful.

believe it or not i tired showing off one of my houses ( i am proud off but was told sucked) on here and yeah its like no one really gave any good advice other then its not good,its boring and not at all a nice house and yeah it made me discouraged i can try to see if i can get a link to my house though maybe you can tell me what you think :)
  • Options
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    Piperbird wrote: »

believe it or not i tired showing off one of my houses ( i am proud off but was told plum) on here and yeah its like no one really gave any good advice other then its not good,its boring and not at all a nice house and yeah it made me discouraged i can try to see if i can get a link to my house though maybe you can tell me what you think :)

Awww, well those people are jerk faces then. :)

If you think it's boring, try different roof styles. Try pulling out rooms so the building isn't just a square. Play with different sidings, not all walls have to be the same.

I'd love to see your build!
  • Options
    how do i find my house on the gallery i am looking for it right now but it wont show up even when i try to search for it :/
  • Options
    Do you know the name of your build? I could also search for it. Make sure you have 'maxis curated' unchecked when searching, too.
  • Options
    okay i tried reuploading my house but then it kind of went away i found it for a second and now its gone. i think its because the lot i am using still has the orginal owners name on it -_-
  • Options
    SynneSolSynneSol Posts: 85 Member
    I suck at building houses, so instead i download empty houses from the gallery and furnish them after my liking :)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    OK, I see it. It is a bit plain, but not awful. The first thing I would do is lower that roof. It takes away from the focus of the build itself. I would change the windows to something larger, so you can use less, it looks cluttered the way it is. Try breaking up the solid brick by using siding on the second floor, or a different kind of brick on some areas.

The inside looks good, but very spacey. When I build a room, I place furniture as I go along. It helps me plan out the shape and size of the room I am looking for. Too much space causes Sims to take a very long time to travel.

This is a very good start! Go ahead and play around with it. Change windows, change roof color, add flower boxes and outside decorations. I'll change things several times before I pick something I like. Have fun with it. :)

Edit: @brendhan21 Would you mind if I downloaded it and messed around with it a little? It's been forever since I've been in the game, so it will be a while for it to update and everything. I can post pics when I finish.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello :)
    This is a link to a helpful builders guide by Ruthless KK.
    http://simsvip.com/2014/10/30/now-available-sims-4-building-guide/

These links may help.
    Sims 4 Building Basics :
    build mode guide for beautiful homes
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/
    Stairs and basements
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/stairs-basements.php
    Using building cheats
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/cheats.php
    Roofs
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/roofs.php
    Decorating (indoors)
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/decorating-inside.php
    Decorating (landscaping )
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/decorating-landscaping.php
    Split levels and lofts
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/split-levels-lofts.php
    Cabinets and Islands
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/counters-islands.php

SIMSVIP : OUT OF THE BOX : BUILDING FOR BEGINNERS IN THE SIMS 4
    Out of the Box: Building for Beginners in The Sims 4 (Shape and Proportion)
    http://simsvip.com/2015/08/03/out-of-the-box-building-for-beginners-in-the-sims-4-shape-and-proportion/

Out of the Box: Building for Beginners in The Sims 4 (Exterior Color and Texture )
    http://simsvip.com/2015/08/09/out-of-the-box-building-for-beginners-in-the-sims-4-exterior-colors/#more-55640

Out of the Box: Building for Beginners in The Sims 4 (Wall Details)
    http://simsvip.com/2015/08/26/out-of-the-box-building-for-beginners-in-the-sims-4-exterior-wall-details/

Out of the Box: Building for Beginners in The Sims 4 (Decks,Floors,Decor)
    http://simsvip.com/2015/08/31/out-of-the-box-building-for-beginners-in-the-sims-4-decks-floors-and-decor/

Out of the Box: Building for Beginners in The Sims 4 ( Landscaping)
    http://simsvip.com/2015/09/08/out-of-the-box-building-for-beginners-in-the-sims-4-landscaping/

Out of the Box: Building for Beginners in The Sims 4 (Trying Different Styles)
    http://simsvip.com/2015/09/14/out-of-the-box-bu

These are just some guides that may help you :)

Your home on the Gallery looks very nice! :) It is a great home for a Legacy family. It is great that it has six bedrooms. Very nice layout of the interior of the home.
  • Options
    OK, so I only have the base game, so I did not have a big enough lot to place your entire build, and I lost items from packs you used. Here is your original build:
    10-14-16_7-12-03nbspPM_zps7xee47e1.png
    10-14-16_7-12-09nbspPM_zps0pnfxd5r.png

I changed the roof height, windows, siding, and added landscaping. I did not change the shape of the house at all:
    10-14-16_7-32-29nbspPM_zpskqiihjjy.png
    10-14-16_7-32-17nbspPM_zpsybmtqwjr.png

It is still a bit overwhelming with all the windows. I would make the rooms inside much smaller to cut down on all the dead space. But, does that help at all with ideas?

• Options
    siennaSTARsiennaSTAR Posts: 739 Member
    Honestly, I just google houses in the style I want and then take a few ideas from various images.
  • Options
    KasanthKasanth Posts: 166 Member
    I sometimes remember things I liked about real houses I have seen. Sometimes look up floor plans on the internet.
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited October 2016
    My process in a nutshell:

Step 1: Make big box

Step 2: Make slightly smaller box, attach off to the side of big box.

Step 3: Make even smaller box, stick it somewhere that feels too empty.

Step 4: Add details like windows, doors etc. Cross gable roofs are easy to do and look great.

Step 5: Paint it neutral colors if I'm looking to do a modern build, or "warmer" colors if I am doing a traditional build. Add stone / brick accents on the frontal side.

Most importantly, don't over think it and have fun! A lot of times a simple design works the best. Sure, all those fancy french balconies or turrets are nice, but what's really important is that your house looks proportional.

Also remember, the golden ratio is your friend (1:1618). This applies to things such as length to width ratios, or relative size of those boxes, etc. You can also sort of apply the same rule to the relative sizes of the front and back yards, so you have an idea on where to position your house on the lot.

An easy rule of thumb I follow is to make the house fit on half or ~60% of the lot, and leave the rest to yards and landscaping.

dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @Piperbird That is so helpful of you to do all that and post pics of the changes.

I'm not a brilliant builder and I remember when I first started I used to make my houses square and plain and just plonk a roof on. I have gotten lots more ideas from people on here, and also from downloading other houses and having an in-depth look at how other people do things.

Landscaping and decor can make a huge difference and I concentrate on those things far more now than I ever used to.
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    I am also lookin for tips on house ideas since mine aren't good either
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    I just go to Google and look at different house exteriors, and take some idea's from them. Another good idea is to search up different floor-plans. But to be honest, most of the time I just think of them from my head, and try to make the house a bit interesting :)
  • Options
    EgomouseEgomouse Posts: 69 Member
    Alright, here's a few tips.
    1. Accept that most Sim players are not architects. James from Sim Supply, for example, is not an architect. If he can build a nice house, then with enough practice, you can make a nice house. Have fun :)
    2. Know the basics of building an interesting house. That is, if all your houses are boxed shape, then....simply, don't make a box. Add stuff to it. Make it unboxy. Also, houses tend to have entrances. Add a porch, add fences, etc. Try to keep it to a theme. Pay attention to how your fences look, how your windows look, how your doors look. Then you can plan how to use them to all fit together in a house. Feel free to browse the gallery and take notes on how people's houses look and what makes them look interesting and cool to you.
    3. Learn how to do landscaping. In general, here's what you want: a few neutral colored plants, a few colorful plants to accent your lot, and add varying heights to your build. You want to make sure the neutral colored plants as your primary plants to place everywhere, with the few colorful plants to spruce up here and there, but not to spam it everywhere so it won't overwhelm. With the varying heights, you want the taller plants to be next to the corner of the outside of the house or maybe hugging around the tree. The varying heights will help make your landscaping look dynamic and interesting, and bring life to your house.
    4. As a beginner, you should start small. Do small houses and focus on the details. Maybe try focusing on making starter homes (homes that are under $20,000 including the lot). Bigger builds tend to take a really long time and might end up looking rectangular. You want to try avoid boring rectangular.
    5. Think about builds. Try to think of things you want to build, think of how houses look realistic. For example, think about the bottom supporting the top parts. You don't want a low height wall on the bottom with a high height wall at the top. Its kinda weird? Idk, maybe its just me lol. Basically, what I am saying, is to look at it and think "oh, this doesn't look balanced" or "the roofs overwhelm the walls, maybe I should make the walls taller". If the roofs seem overwhelming, you can break it apart, for example, build a room to cut through the roof.
    Untitled.png
    6. Remember to test our your build to make sure everything works fine and press upload, even if you're not finished, to check if the build looks nice in the screenshots.

Alright, time to show some examples, I suppose :p
    Untitled.png
    So, here is a very boring layout. In fact, who the heck knows what some of these rooms are meant for lol. It does, however, checks a lot of the list: entrance, starts out boxy, and adds rooms next to it. When making a house, think about the things you need in the house. For example: you want a bedroom (likely medium size room), a living room (likely the largest room), a kitchen (this can be part of the living room), a bathroom (likely a small room), etc. The study room isn't exactly necessary, but that can be added in either the living room or bedroom, or as a separate room. Press the key "T" for an overhead look and decide if you like the layout.
    Fool around, make rooms, go crazy. Always keep in mind, don't make it a boring rectangular/square shape house. You could always look up floor plans, but this is The Sims. You can make crazy stuff and still look nice. A reminder that having boxy rooms doesn't mean it is a completely boxy house.
    Untitled.png
    So, here's an example of landscaping. These shrubs, I'm not too sure about...Anyways, remember to always use the terrain paint so the plants looks like it grew there instead of being artificially there. I would recommend using the cheat "bb.moveobjects on" so you can move the plants closer together. This makes it look better and more realistic.

Last tip. Take critiques from other people, but if all they say is negative things without being constructive, just disregard their comments.
    These are just general steps to get you started. Roofing will take a lot of time and practice and would be much harder to describe. Interior design is part of step 2 (keeping to a theme, although rooms don't have to keep to the house theme, but it should keep to the room theme at the least). Making a story about your house can really help. If you imagine a hoarder family, put a ton of clutter in the house. If you think the family is old fashion, you might want to look up Victorian housing as an example. Victorian houses could be hard to make though because they can be pretty complex. You could start with contemporary houses as they normally have flat roofing. They are modern, very sleek, and look pretty awesome imo.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I find inspiration in the houses around me, as well as from using Google Images.
  • Options
    TaraIris94TaraIris94 Posts: 552 Member
    I've found that looking on the gallery is often inspiring. Usually when I start to build a house or if I'm thinking about it I'll sort of plan out how I want it- I'll make a list of what rooms I want on each floor to give myself an idea of a floor plan. I also think about the style of house I want- for example I'll search on the gallery and on Google images for modern homes. I will also consider the colors I want to include- I love using vibrant colors so I often go with that a lot, but mostly when I'm browsing for inspiration I find that a lot of builders tend to decorate with a lot of brown colors. The entire time I'm visioning what family/families will live there- will there be a baby? Maybe other children? I try to build rooms that will fit the future residents' needs. Landscaping is also a must (in my opinion) it's easy to go overboard with it however. I also search for landscaping ideas when I'm decorating the outside of the house. Also, feel free to experiment with different styles of roofs- sometimes flat ones are the way to go.

I hope these tips helped :)
    Feel free to check out my builds on the gallery- I don't have many on there but my name is the same on there! And just remember, building takes practice! You'll eventually get to a point where you can be confident in the builds you make. Let me know if I can be in any other assistance to you, I'm always happy to help :).
  • Options
    simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    I have a big note pad which I use to sketch out house plans, mainly from ones I have seen on houseplan websites. Then if I get stuck, I can use it for some inspiration. I've found you can also look up plans for restaurants, shops etc.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    edited October 2016
    I look up house plans and build it exact. Otherwise i just do a big square and the add or take away rooms, maybe add a porch.

Building was hard for me in the beginning. Playing the sims 2 helped me enjoy it more. Sims 3 had so much that i became terrible at it again. The sims 4 is similar to the sims 2 to me with build mode so now I'm back to liking it again.

I so wish I could install the sims 3 again because now I feel confident to be able to build a decent house. I feel the sims 3 build mode was for professionals lol
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Here in the UK we have a wide range of architectural styles from Victorian Gothic, Art Deco, Tudor, Georgian and plenty in between. House plans are a good idea and I agree working out a colour palette beforehand is helpful. Sometimes just playing around on an empty lot can turn into something use able. The TS3 fora and some youtubers suggest working for a client,a sim with a specific lifestyle. This can be fun. Would suggest for large, complex builds keeping notes and backing up regularly. Don't be afraid of colour. Feature walls with colour or texture always add interest. Happy building :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I love the sims 4 build mode cos it makes things easier for people like me. Being able to pick up and move entire rooms or buildings, or delete rooms etc when you have made a mistake - so convenient and time-saving!

I really wish they had more roof options though, and it bugs me that the apex roofs have a different edge finish than the hipped roofs, so it makes it difficult to combine them on one building - the one sort hangs over the edge of the wall nicely and the other doesn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top