Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Good morning!

We’re back to the Pruetts this week! I really love this family. Asia has some news and is excited about being around more often. Can you guess what it is? Enjoy.

http://www.jes2gstories.com/joneses-7-1-asia-returns/
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    @pixelatedKar I've seen you liking my chapters! :blush: Thank you!

I actually explained my outlining process to someone else recently so I hope you don't mind if some of the answer is identical :tongue:

My outlining is a multi-step sort of process :)

I begin with something very loose and vague. For example, when I came up with my plot for Dust to Dust, each plot point formed a bullet-point list.

I don't want to spoil D2D for you, so unfortunately I can only give you a few bullet points haha

-Boy moves into a new house
    -Boy meets ghost
    -Boy wants to help the ghost come back to life
    -Boy grows up, falls in love with ghost
    Etc.

I call this initial outline my "skeleton" outline. It's the bare bones version of the story. Then I move on and add the "meat" ;) Hahaha

Eventually it grows and grows until I have a full-on, chapter-by-chapter outline, with 1-2 sentence descriptions of each chapter.

For example

Chapter 1: Lucas is unhappy about moving and decides to run away from home
    Chapter 2: Lucas meets Evelyn, and decides to stay
    Chapter 3: Lucas decides he wants to know more about Evelyn
    Chapter 4: Lucas talks to Evelyn again
    Interlude: We learn more of Evelyn's backstory
    Etc.

That chapter-by-chapter outline changes and grows as I go, especially if there are changes I decide to make as I go along. :)

It's a bit of a time-consuming process, but it worked very well for me with Dust to Dust, and continues to work well for me in planning out my legacy :blush:

snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Sourocha wrote: »
    Good timezones, guys! I Am very happy because my story is going to be put of the hiatus! Yay! And is going to be drama and sadness! Yay! :D , and I have a plot story question, if a person lose someone they really like, and time passes, is It possible to that person have some days that It is very sad? And other days happy?

Speaking from personal experience, yes!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @Sourocha Even YEARS after you lose someone you love, you can have bad days. I was really close with my grandfather, and he passed away when I was 14. Last year (12 years after he died) I was going though old pictures of him and saw a photo that made me miss him and start crying.

The pain never 100% goes away, but you learn to deal with it and move forward :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    RE: outlining

It's actually pretty interesting how much outlining was emphasized in all of my English courses in school. I use outlining for more than just writing now. For example i have an assignment coming up and we are to design a shelter for the refugees. I made an outline of what steps I needed to do. As well as small notes of research that were important to my design.
  • Options
    OJenn wrote: »
    RE: outlining

It's actually pretty interesting how much outlining was emphasized in all of my English courses in school. I use outlining for more than just writing now. For example i have an assignment coming up and we are to design a shelter for the refugees. I made an outline of what steps I needed to do. As well as small notes of research that were important to my design.

Same here. I outline everything.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    SimmerSteffieSimmerSteffie Posts: 723 Member
    Hey everybody!
    I've been sucked into the vortex that is one of the other sites I frequent. I am terribad at managing my time effectively.

Goals for the day:
    - Record/edit/render at least two IBSI episodes
    - Write and screenshot at least one Priest legacy update
    - Host my event on other site at 6.
    :sunglasses::sweat_smile:

We'll see.

How was everyone's weekend? Any big plans for the week? :)
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    Hey everybody!
    I've been plum into the vortex that is one of the other sites I frequent. I am terribad at managing my time effectively.

Goals for the day:
    - Record/edit/render at least two IBSI episodes
    - Write and screenshot at least one Priest legacy update
    - Host my event on other site at 6.
    :sunglasses::sweat_smile:

We'll see.

How was everyone's weekend? Any big plans for the week? :)

Right now (before I head into work), I'm trying to set up a package to send off to my girlfriend this week (If I'm lucky, I can choose the option that makes it get there within two days or so). Getting everything done for it is...easier said than done. :/
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Sourocha wrote: »
    I have a plot story question, if a person lose someone they really like, and time passes, is It possible to that person have some days that It is very sad? And other days happy?

@Sourocha My grandpa died about 4 years ago. When my family is together we'll talk like he's around and messing around with us. "Look at that mess under the table. You're channeling grandpa!" Everyone will be happy and laughing.
    On the flip side, I'll be by myself thinking about things going on in my life and I'll get upset because I think of how excited/proud grandpa would be for/of me.

My grandma (on my other side) very recently died and I haven't had a happy moment yet. It's too soon for me. When we were cleaning out her room I was handed an envelope that was "Megan Stuff"; I didn't look inside. I did this weekend, though, and there were some thank you notes I had written her when I was very little. One just said "DOG" in tiny Megan writing and then I drew a picture of a dog, lol. That got me going, too. I'm sure there will be happy moment in the future but not for a while.

Sorry if I dampened the mood... :heart:
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    pixelatedKarpixelatedKar Posts: 382 Member
    @pixelatedKar I've seen you liking my chapters! :blush: Thank you!

I actually explained my outlining process to someone else recently so I hope you don't mind if some of the answer is identical :tongue:

My outlining is a multi-step sort of process :)

I begin with something very loose and vague. For example, when I came up with my plot for Dust to Dust, each plot point formed a bullet-point list.

I don't want to spoil D2D for you, so unfortunately I can only give you a few bullet points haha

-Boy moves into a new house
    -Boy meets ghost
    -Boy wants to help the ghost come back to life
    -Boy grows up, falls in love with ghost
    Etc.

I call this initial outline my "skeleton" outline. It's the bare bones version of the story. Then I move on and add the "meat" ;) Hahaha

Eventually it grows and grows until I have a full-on, chapter-by-chapter outline, with 1-2 sentence descriptions of each chapter.

For example

Chapter 1: Lucas is unhappy about moving and decides to run away from home
    Chapter 2: Lucas meets Evelyn, and decides to stay
    Chapter 3: Lucas decides he wants to know more about Evelyn
    Chapter 4: Lucas talks to Evelyn again
    Interlude: We learn more of Evelyn's backstory
    Etc.

That chapter-by-chapter outline changes and grows as I go, especially if there are changes I decide to make as I go along. :)

It's a bit of a time-consuming process, but it worked very well for me with Dust to Dust, and continues to work well for me in planning out my legacy :blush:

Thank you so much! This is super helpful, going to try working out all my random thoughts into this form.
    Legacy Central - Reading Circle | The Blount Legacy | One Hundred Gnome's
    ORIGIN ID: pixelatedK
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    edited September 2016
    @Sourocha It has been 5 years since I lost my mom. Most days are good for me except certain ones like holidays, her birthday, my birthday, the day she passed etc. Then there are still days, days where I would normal "need" my mom and the fact that she isn't there destroys my day. I have days where the memories are sweet and others where they tear me apart.

That being said everyone's journey in dealing with loss is different. It is a Rollercoaster and life does go on, but you are forever changed. If that makes sense.
  • Options
    cshanercshaner Posts: 2,620 Member
    @pixelatedKar regarding outlining. (Tagging @OJenn @Jes2G @CitizenErased14 )

I didn't outline previously when I did game driven stories, but since crossing over to doing 95% story driven I outline everything.

I received a very similar answer to my question from Citizen when I first joined the community here and began to understand you could do more than just wrap a story around what the game throws at you.

My legacy for example is nearly all game driven through Gen1. As Gen2 began I developed a single sentence outline for each generation from 2 to Gen10. Then taking each character in Gen2 that I will focus on, I break their arcs down into teen, YA, and adult. I have an idea what will be going on for each character for the entirety of the generation.

I only have Gen2 mapped in this much detail at this point. G3 - G10 are still just in single sentence stage.

I have an overall lifetime arc for my G2 heir, his siblings have teen and some YA arc. Not sure if they will fade to the background later or not. :smiley:

Because I already have the single sentence idea for G3, I'll begin outlining G2 angled to help that plot begin too as the G3 kid(s) enter the story.

Before the G3 heir is ready to take over the story, I will have at least through YA with detailed outline.

Writing without an outline for me seems now like driving a car without a seatbelt.
    covensig800x200.jpg?w=676
    SimFluence - Where Sims Influence the Story
    Blood that Binds: A Vampire Coven Challenge Updated 04/22/2017
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    Origin ID: cshaner07
  • Options
    Unrelated to the conversation at hand...

I'm very unimpressed with origin at the moment.
    Won't close, but also won't load Sims.
    I'm trying to be productive! :frowning::angry:
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    just back from the dentist. no cavities

time to see what aydens up too.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @SimmerSteffie: Have you tried going into Task Manager/Activity Monitor (of course depending on your operating system) and killing the Origin process there?
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @SimmerSteffie: Have you tried going into Task Manager/Activity Monitor (of course depending on your operating system) and killing the Origin process there?

Yeah, wouldn't even close there!
    I got it to eventually, but man...

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)
  • Options

Oh yikes. D:

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options

Oh yikes. D:

To be fair, I think my computer is just under qualified for the things I want it to do. :tongue:
    Running Sims and Fraps is taking all of its brain power.

On the plus side - first IBSI episode is rendering!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    so it feels more like a actual custody arangement i switch the kids back from whoever their visiting back to the parent on sunday evening. game sundays. now its about 2 hours to go and the kids i n aydens house keep calling the kids in elsas house.
  • Options
    pixelatedKarpixelatedKar Posts: 382 Member
    @cshaner Thanks so much with the help. I can't wait to actually sit down and sort through all my ideas. My worry was I'd have way to much going on within the story.
    Legacy Central - Reading Circle | The Blount Legacy | One Hundred Gnome's
    ORIGIN ID: pixelatedK
  • Options
    cshaner wrote: »
    @pixelatedKar regarding outlining. (Tagging @OJenn @Jes2G @CitizenErased14 )

I didn't outline previously when I did game driven stories, but since crossing over to doing 95% story driven I outline everything.

I received a very similar answer to my question from Citizen when I first joined the community here and began to understand you could do more than just wrap a story around what the game throws at you.

My legacy for example is nearly all game driven through Gen1. As Gen2 began I developed a single sentence outline for each generation from 2 to Gen10. Then taking each character in Gen2 that I will focus on, I break their arcs down into teen, YA, and adult. I have an idea what will be going on for each character for the entirety of the generation.

I only have Gen2 mapped in this much detail at this point. G3 - G10 are still just in single sentence stage.

I have an overall lifetime arc for my G2 heir, his siblings have teen and some YA arc. Not sure if they will fade to the background later or not. :smiley:

Because I already have the single sentence idea for G3, I'll begin outlining G2 angled to help that plot begin too as the G3 kid(s) enter the story.

Before the G3 heir is ready to take over the story, I will have at least through YA with detailed outline.

Writing without an outline for me seems now like driving a car without a seatbelt.

Citizen explains it so well, and I’ve begun meshing her method with my own. I have nothing to add to the outline discussion. :)

I’m actually reading a book about outlining right now…cuz I’m a geek like that lol. I haven’t learned anything earth shattering yet, but what I’ve seen (and what we all already know) is that there is no right or wrong way to outline. You don’t even have to use that traditional list-like outline format. Some people are more visual and may prefer something more pictorial like a mind map or even a story board. Just find whatever works for you and go with it.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    ThymelessThymeless Posts: 1,184 Member
    I GOT PAST THE WRITERS BLOCK *throws confetti everywhere*
    Thank you everyone for your advice, and especially @CathyTea and @CitizenErased14 for checking the bit I was struggling with and making sure it sounded realistic :)
    Chapter 04 - A Different Kind of Clubbing
    amb-04-ss11.jpg?w=700
    signature-gen-3.jpg
    Sci-fi/Fantasy Lover | Taurus
    House: Hufflepuff/Pukwudgie
    The Centauri Legacy | Can You Hear the Violins? | Drifting with Nifflers
    Reading Circles: Reader's Nook
  • Options
    i need to figure out how to get ayden in my library or he will never be allowed to die. lol.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Did some screenshotting today and remembered how much of a precious marshmallow child Samira is:

ENA8WEE.jpg

1z3boqr.jpg

It's for the first chapter from her PoV. I've written some of it and it's a little strange having a child in this story be a witness and not process it accurately. Franco was able to immediately jump to the (accurate) conclusion that his parents were criminals. Samira, being a much more naive kid, can't put together all the thoughts to conclude "oh, these people are depressed/traumatized/reacting based on trauma" and I have to do all that heavy lifting with pure dialogue that she just happens to hear. D:

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Did some screenshotting today and remembered how much of a precious marshmallow child Samira is:

ENA8WEE.jpg

1z3boqr.jpg

It's for the first chapter from her PoV. I've written some of it and it's a little strange having a child in this story be a witness and not process it accurately. Franco was able to immediately jump to the (accurate) conclusion that his parents were criminals. Samira, being a much more naive kid, can't put together all the thoughts to conclude "oh, these people are depressed/traumatized/reacting based on trauma" and I have to do all that heavy lifting with pure dialogue that she just happens to hear. D:

Ooooh! So excited about this! She is such an awesome kid. I love that dynamic you're setting up with her being so good and naive.

Also...
    I wonder if she'll ever meet Ox-Head! He might like to have a tea party with her! She'll just have to remind him that he doesn't have to keep drinking. He can stop when his bladder is full.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top