Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Saying No to The Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    marx13marx13 Posts: 48 Member
    Ifreshyeh wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat. What pushed me towards saying "no" was more of a money factor since I'm a university student and money is tight. I was still hoping that I could get into TS4. City Life sparked some hope but I think they're headed the shell/apartment route which is something I and many other players hated in TS3. That spark fizzled. I don't know if I'll ever get back into playing TS4, but all I can do is hope for the best.
    And don't mind those comments about attention seeking OP, they probably come from attention seekers themselves ;)

I'm in the same boat. If I'm going to spend money on a video game it sure as heck better be good. Believe me I'm totally the kind of person to splash money on something worthwhile and starve for a week (so to speak), but I deem the whole game inherently broken or...unfixable - the system, the game within itself is too flawed, and I haven't seen any improvements that would make me reconsider. No shiny new EP is going to persuade me otherwise. It looks very pretty, don't get me wrong but I have learnt the hard way (as in my wallet) that with this iteration, things just look good and that's it. (In my opinion).
    I'll still be reading the reviews and what people have to say, because the franchise will always be very dear to my heart... but yeah..I'd rather miss out this time.
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

What I find funny, though, is that some people who endlessly say that they're enjoying the ts4 aren't off playing it. I know that when I was devouring ts3, I never came to the forums. I was having way too much fun to care about what anybody else was doing.

Seriously. That's how I am with anime. I disappear off the forums for hours (at least I THINK it's hours. Could be days or months. I lose all sense of time when I'm in Animeland) when before I was ALWAYS on here. If you're off doing something you're truly enjoying, the last thing you would be thinking is 'Wondering what the people on the Sims forums are doing. Perhaps I need to on there and tell them ONCE AGAIN how I enjoy playing this game that I am not playing.'

Spending more time on the forums (likely telling people they are wrong for daring to dislike Sims 4) than playing the game you say like so much.

• Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    edited September 2016
    If you took it as self-righteous than that's your problem. There was nothing in that OP that sounded like they were putting their opinions above anyone else. But you took the time to type out that post. Must not be that insulted.
    Nehemiahxx wrote: »
    Mendota wrote: »
    What I don't get is why do you Sims 3 players feel the need to make post after post insisting that we all like the same things that you do. I hated Sims3 with a passion and so did many others, but I never felt the need to make self righteous posts on a constant basis about how I hated it. The real point of these post seems to be trying to convince others that their choices are somehow inferior to yours. This is insulting. You deliberately overlook the fact that others are enjoying the game and insist that there is something wrong with us for doing so.

I have been playing the Sims since the Sims 1, a veteran player as you like to say. And I like the Sims 4 best of all, and yes I only play families. What makes your long winded view better than mine? And the way that you have posted makes it clear that this is what you think. If you love Sims 3 then play Sims 3, but understand that those of us who like Sims 4 DO NOT WANT SIM 3 REDUX.

Then why did you feel the need to comment on said "self-righteous" post...with a self-righteous post???

Because it's an attempt to start drama for no reason.
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    edited September 2016
    No, it is pointing out that not liking something is a personal issue. And it is up to you to solve it. If reverting back to an earlier game is the answer then do it. As I said the only point to posts like this is to somehow convince others that their choices are wrong because they don't agree with you. I hated Sims 3, but I didn't post about it because that was my personal issue. And I understood that my disappointment was not more important than others enjoyment. And again these sort of post that in the end say nothing more than: It's not like the Sims 3 or Sims 2 so therefore I don't like it; are not productive and it is not useful feedback. It also disregards those who are enjoying the game as it is.

I had to sit out the Sims 3, and now it is my turn again. If some of you feel the need to sit out the Sims 4, fine, but coming here to constantly post about it is not necessary. As far as drama, that is all that the OP post was setting out to do.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    LadyJester wrote: »
    This really breaks my heart im literally crying at the moment I dont want to see the sims go down like this....

then help make it what it was - a sandbox life simulator inclusive to all styles of play with expansion packs interwoven in every neighborhood.

everybody here, that is a paying customer WANTS this series to continue, but, as the core of what made it an actual life sim, not pieces pasted together here and there.

also - it is not the fans that are making the sims go down "like this" (as you phrased it) - it is the "vision" of whomever made the decisions.

Please stop for a minute. I don't know if I would want The sims 4 to keep going. I am starting to have some doubts. I paid 60.00 for Sims 4 + some other amounts. Sure the new content is nice for awhile. Then I feel that on one hand EA/Maxis wants Sims 4 to go on forever. Am I in Dreamland yet?
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    "Hate." The OP didn't use the word hate once. In fact, if she hated the game I doubt she would have bothered writing that long post. She provided good constructive criticism about traits and other aspects of the game that are lacking which the devs haven't really acknowledged. The point is, she is here because she obviously cares about the series and wants some things to be reevaluated before justifying spending any more. This kind of posting isn't done out of hate and I respect that she is taking a stand like this. No one should feel offended when someone posts criticisms or opinions about this game or any game. Don't take it personally. We're all simmers just trying to have fun and every voice matters whether you agree or not.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    I don't think spending time on the forums and enjoying the game are mutually exclusive. :) I usually devote a couple of hours daily to my game and visit the forums when I'm having lunch, taking a break at work, waiting in the doctor's office, having a cup of coffee, or like now, while watching a program on television. Or multitasking in the bathroom. :p
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited September 2016
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    To me, it's a mobile game. But event hat's a bit harsh because the sims free play is better than the sims 4 in my opinion. I suppose, it's more like they were going to make an online world with set tasks and puzzles for people to play together. Then when Sim City died they panicked and went /no no we have to change this!/ and crammed sub par interactions into the game, with sub par ways to customize the majority of the game.

When you've been playing a game for 16 years, it can be a hard thing to let go of, because it's become a part of your routine. But it really can't be held onto, if there's nothing to hold on to.

I actually feel a little insulted when you keep saying that TS4 is a mobile game because it sure isn't!

She said that to her it's a mobile game. It's her opinion. And I would guess she means it looks and plays like a cheap mobile game, with which (having tried it) I agree.

You don't think so, good for you.
    You hate mobile games. Why? You don't even seem to have tried them. Is that the reason?

In the same way I could say that I don't like PC games because they are trivial if I only had tried minesweeper and similar games. But I have and I know that games are different.

But let us return to the Sims games. What is the difference between the mobile Sims games and the PC games? There is only one major difference: The mobile Sims games don't get expansions and the PC Sims games get a huge number of them. Do you feel that EA hasn't released and SPs for TS4? Is that the reason it feels mobile to you??? Or is it because TS4 can't be played without a touchscreen???

How does TS4 compare to a tablet game like XCOM: Enemy Within which requires 3.51 GB and probably is a bigger game than an old "small" game like TS2? Well TS4 sure is a childish game in comparison. So I don't feel TS4 to be similar to mobile games at all.
  • Options
    Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    edited September 2016
    When Sims 4 first came out, I said to myself that I would give it a chance and would purchase the packs up to a night life type of expansion. If I’m not satisfied with the game by then, I will no longer purchase anything else.

The only way I would purchase another EP is if they introduced supernaturals and based on what I’ve read, I don’t think they will be adding those.

So sadly, this will be the end for me after this pack.

On the subject of mobile games, I don't like them because the screens are too small and I don't have very good eyesight so playing those types of games will put a strain on me.
    Post edited by Meela_Pasht on
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I feel you, OP. But for me, the CL expansion info is not disappointing at all, and rather exciting. So I'm going to stick around and see how the game turns out in the end. At least we still have previous games to go back to when we get frustrated with 4. But I don't hate 4 and I'm slowly liking it more.

That said, I look forward to the day when another company creates a competitive life sim game. Even if it's vastly different from The Sims series, I'd be interested to try.
  • Options
    KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    Why can't The Sims 4 be better like The Sims 3 and The Sims 2? :bawling: Please developers, Make Sims great again! :sweat::s
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

• Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    james64468 wrote: »
    LadyJester wrote: »
    This really breaks my heart im literally crying at the moment I dont want to see the sims go down like this....

then help make it what it was - a sandbox life simulator inclusive to all styles of play with expansion packs interwoven in every neighborhood.

everybody here, that is a paying customer WANTS this series to continue, but, as the core of what made it an actual life sim, not pieces pasted together here and there.

also - it is not the fans that are making the sims go down "like this" (as you phrased it) - it is the "vision" of whomever made the decisions.

Please stop for a minute. I don't know if I would want The sims 4 to keep going. I am starting to have some doubts. I paid 60.00 for Sims 4 + some other amounts. Sure the new content is nice for awhile. Then I feel that on one hand EA/Maxis wants Sims 4 to go on forever. Am I in Dreamland yet?

I'm with you on that. I was just responding to the person who was basically implying that because of our reactions to not being given what we have expected, the sim series going "down" (their words, not mine), was somehow our faults.

I want a brand new fully fleshed out, all neighborhoods connected where every expansion pack can be carried out in every single neighborhood, sandbox, play it my way game.

But, this is what they put out.

But, yeah, I am with you on wanting this one to end, so they would scrap it and start with a full base that is capable of everything we have come to know and expect, and would be willing to pay for.

• Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    I like TS4 for what it is ... I do hope that it gets better, and I told myself that I can't make a decision until EP3 comes out. I personally loved some of the SP's, and I thought DO was a really great game. But I know what you mean about a lot of things feeling "less than" compared to other iterations.

And your disdain isn't necessarily for the devs themselves. Because people in this society tend to look at the worker bees instead of the higher ups. Why? I have no clue. Upper management is a large part as to why this game is lacking. It's why any company is lacking. I don't think the dev's love the game any less, I just think that the corporate minds at EA have started to take hold of them. TS1 started off untainted. TS2's development was also untainted. And then the game started to really take off, and stuff packs came out, but it was still a solid franchise ... well, when TS3 rolled around (and even midway through TS2), I believe that EA started to get into the development side of things. And in TS3, EA was fully taking over since Will Wright left. Then we had the TS3 store and all those money grabs, though TS3 as a base game was pretty well made IMO. And now we are at TS4 ... it was clear that EA had a motive of wanting to drive their sales which is why the bar was set so low, so that it could be accessible to as many people as possible. I still support this game and the people who are trying to make the most of it.

The same issue is with a lot of companies though ... build a name for yourself, then cut costs and quality so that you can ride on your reputation while you increase your profit exponentially. Unfortunately it is happening to TS4. I am hoping that it will pass, because if it doesn't, I don't want to continue with the franchise either. I left for TS3 because I felt like it was being treated as a cash cow. I stuck around for TS4 because it really felt as though they started to remember something that they forgot. With the way things are going IMO, it looks like they are on an upward trend, and I am hoping that they find a way to keep going in that direction.

Unfortunately, you already gave up on the franchise. I understand your frustrations, and I just want you to know that I have many of the same thoughts/hopes for the game as you!

---
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. I think it's time to move on (or, actually in your case, to move back) and return to your beloved TS3 again.

What I find funny, though, is that some people always need attention when they don't like a particular thing. Often followed by a big announcement: LISTEN GUYS, here I am and I am having enough of this game. It's plum because 'insert reason here'. Time to say good-bye!

Alright. Take care of yourself and I wish you fun playing TS3.

Every person should be able to voice their opinion of the game. It isn't just one person doing it. It's multiple people. From different walks of life. People have grown to come to that conclusion. So I think it is worth it to listen to your customers. And what does it say when you receive the same complaint about the same thing, and it is coming from a bunch of different people? Seriously. It isn't that hard to figure out that there is a problem. And it isn't just the forums ... look at the YouTube, Facebook, and forum comments.

I want people to speak their opinion of the game. That is what this forum is here for. It's the feedback section for a reason. This is their feedback. People being detailed and extensive with their feedback is a good thing, believe it or not. What is gained from someone just leaving the franchise without saying why? How does anyone improve? Feedback is used as a bridge between the customers needs and the company.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited September 2016
    Luke wrote: »
    I like TS4 for what it is ... I do hope that it gets better, and I told myself that I can't make a decision until EP3 comes out. I personally loved some of the SP's, and I thought DO was a really great game. But I know what you mean about a lot of things feeling "less than" compared to other iterations.

And your disdain isn't necessarily for the devs themselves. Because people in this society tend to look at the worker bees instead of the higher ups. Why? I have no clue. Upper management is a large part as to why this game is lacking. It's why any company is lacking. I don't think the dev's love the game any less, I just think that the corporate minds at EA have started to take hold of them. TS1 started off untainted. TS2's development was also untainted. And then the game started to really take off, and stuff packs came out, but it was still a solid franchise ... well, when TS3 rolled around (and even midway through TS2), I believe that EA started to get into the development side of things. And in TS3, EA was fully taking over since Will Wright left. Then we had the TS3 store and all those money grabs, though TS3 as a base game was pretty well made IMO. And now we are at TS4 ... it was clear that EA had a motive of wanting to drive their sales which is why the bar was set so low, so that it could be accessible to as many people as possible. I still support this game and the people who are trying to make the most of it.

The same issue is with a lot of companies though ... build a name for yourself, then cut costs and quality so that you can ride on your reputation while you increase your profit exponentially. Unfortunately it is happening to TS4. I am hoping that it will pass, because if it doesn't, I don't want to continue with the franchise either. I left for TS3 because I felt like it was being treated as a cash cow. I stuck around for TS4 because it really felt as though they started to remember something that they forgot. With the way things are going IMO, it looks like they are on an upward trend, and I am hoping that they find a way to keep going in that direction.

Unfortunately, you already gave up on the franchise. I understand your frustrations, and I just want you to know that I have many of the same thoughts/hopes for the game as you!

---
    Yeah, I agree. I think it's time to move on (or, actually in your case, to move back) and return to your beloved TS3 again.

What I find funny, though, is that some people always need attention when they don't like a particular thing. Often followed by a big announcement: LISTEN GUYS, here I am and I am having enough of this game. It's plum because 'insert reason here'. Time to say good-bye!

Every person should be able to voice their opinion of the game. It isn't just one person doing it. It's multiple people. From different walks of life. People have grown to come to that conclusion. So I think it is worth it to listen to your customers. And what does it say when you receive the same complaint about the same thing, and it is coming from a bunch of different people? Seriously. It isn't that hard to figure out that there is a problem. And it isn't just the forums ... look at the YouTube, Facebook, and forum comments.

I want people to speak their opinion of the game. That is what this forum is here for. It's the feedback section for a reason. This is their feedback. People being detailed and extensive with their feedback is a good thing, believe it or not. What is gained from someone just leaving the franchise without saying why? How does anyone improve? Feedback is used as a bridge between the customers needs and the company.

This is such a great balanced post.

Honestly, the developers are the ones in the trenches and in the front lines, and from what it seems like, gamers, themselves.

My husband works at a security company maintaining their servers and when management keeps changing and they were just bought out, he is the one, who for months will have been following the decisions that originally were made and then they switch it all again - so, he is the one who has to do the actual work and it takes time to change direction and it is frustrating when it happens over and over again.

All decisions start up at the top. But, we don't, as customers really have access to the top - they don't make themselves available to real feedback.

I am not disparaging EA, but, pointing out a fact, that when one of their own, Ocean Quigley from SimCity 2013, states that without the "tops" interference what we could have had - it says alot.

It is just a fact. Everybody in game development knows this.

Where is SimCity 2013 today? That is not what we want to happen to the Sims - the exact opposite.

The Sims 1 WAS "untainted" - it was just all about the game, and you did not need a whole marketing team to sell it.

Everybody who played it loved it and wanted it to grow and it sold itself.

If they channeled all the money into game development and not marketing - the game would sell itself.

Marketing can only sell it for so long, but when you finally sit down to play the game and it isn't what it could be - what they don't seem to get is that it is our own actual experience that will sell it and not marketing's words.

Nobody who loves this series and has been with it for 16+ years wants it to fail at all!

It is the exact opposite. We want it to be the best it could ever be.

• Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited September 2016
    carly552 wrote: »

I don't know where you live, but I live in America. Here is America there is something called Freedom of Speech. If you are not familiar with that concept I highly suggest you should look it up. Maybe you haven't learned that in school yet.

OP elegantly and formally stated why she is done with the sims 4, it's not like she said immaturely. Even is she did, she has an unalienable right to say so. If you can't handle that then maybe you shouldn't have clicked on this forum as you probably knew what she was going to say

And I hope you have fun playing the "great" and "fun" Sims 4.

Okay, let's just ignore for a moment that the concept of "Freedom of Speech" you are referring to is something that regulates the relationship between the government and its citizens and insofar has nothing to do with anything that has happened here: I did nothing different than react on her post. Hopefully that's not forbidden yet. But after reading your outraged post I am not so sure anymore.
    Post edited by HalloMolli on
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    carly552carly552 Posts: 119 Member

I don't know where you live, but I live in America. Here is America there is something called Freedom of Speech. If you are not familiar with that concept I highly suggest you should look it up. Maybe you haven't learned that in school yet.

OP elegantly and formally stated why she is done with the sims 4, it's not like she said immaturely. Even is she did, she has an unalienable right to say so. If you can't handle that then maybe you shouldn't have clicked on this forum as you probably knew what she was going to say

Okay, let's just ignore for a moment that the concept of "Freedom of Speech" you are referring to is something that regulates the relationship between the goverment and its citizens and insofar has nothing to do with anything that has happened here: I did nothing different than react on her post. Hopefully that's not forbidden yet. But after reading your outraged post I am not so sure anymore.

You were implying that people shouldn't say when they are fed up with the sims 4 or how they feel about the sims 4.
    baby-pink-cute-cute-night-gif-Favim.com-3891443.gif

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I think it is hard for some players who do not play other franchises outside of the Sims series to get an idea on how each sequel while new does expand on the older features and combine them with newer features. It is like playing the Battlefield series, they do not gut the new version, they keep the essential features and add on to the new version and this was not done with Sims 4 and why some people are complaining. What was done here cannot be done in other series because most folks will not accept it and EA knows it and another thing they do not cater to one class of players.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member

Okay, let's just ignore for a moment that the concept of "Freedom of Speech" you are referring to is something that regulates the relationship between the goverment and its citizens and insofar has nothing to do with anything that has happened here: I did nothing different than react on her post. Hopefully that's not forbidden yet. But after reading your outraged post I am not so sure anymore.

You were implying that people shouldn't say when they are fed up with the sims 4 or how they feel about the sims 4.

That's simply not true. I never told anybody to stop giving feedback. Please stop reading such things into my post!
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."