May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Plum Tree Family Tree Tool: Developers Wanted

Comments

• Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    Thank you very much for this tool. This will definitely make it easier to keep track of each of my family trees as they go through various generations, particularly since I have multiple save files.
  • Options
    CoreyCanadianCoreyCanadian Posts: 5,701 Member
    @Yubell your family tree is absolutely amazing! Makes my family tree feel so tiny lol. I got a bunch of generations going but you seemed to have played every branch where I kill mine off lol
  • Options
    dancingindiordancingindior Posts: 159 Member
    Just an update, I've opened it in Firefox rather than Safari and I appear to be able to add people now!
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @ThePlumbob
    So, I love this tool! it is amazing!
    Although, I have a small issue. The tool button doesn't appear for my founder's husband, who has an ex-wife and a daughter (not with my founder), who I can't add to the tree, since the tool button isn't available for him, but would like to, as they're quite important to the story.
    @TurquoisePapaya To add his ex-wife, add her name into the same text box that his name is in in the partners drop-down (when you click on the wrench for his current wife). A circle with her avatar on it should then appear overlapping his avatar on your tree.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    Speaking of Bios, we now have improved formatting options for them, which should help you guys covering as many details as possible in there in an organised way - details here

ODNWs2C.jpg

Yes! This makes it even easier to present the information in a nice way. I had completely missed that update :smile:
  • Options
    ThePlumtreeThePlumtree Posts: 119 Member
    Ooo wow lots of chatter and feedback :)

@totalRainbow Glad you like it and hopefully with more work you'll love it even more :)

@CharKittyBoo Nice tree, lots of drama in trees is what I like seeing :) hopefully it does manage to stay nicely organised in your plum tree.

@Virginger1228 Like your tree too and someone with 10 children should be a fun one to see.

@Yubell WOW I think thats one of the biggest trees I've seen yet. I'm really impressed :D

@Kluenii I like how you've been taking advantage of the new formatting for bios, makes it much more readable. Good effort on the really descriptive bios there a real good look into your sims lives :)

@dancingindior Not seen that error yet so I'll look into it right away. Thanks for flagging it up, I use chrome for the most part so its easy for me to miss issues in other browsers from time to time sadly.

@TurquoisePapaya The partner of a partner is solved exactly how @Pegasus143 has mentioned. I'll admit some features for the app are not as intuitive as others and this is one of those. Possibly with time I can figure out some improvements along the way :)

@Aesir26 Thanks for the nice feedback :) alway love getting it and love hearing that its helping you out to keep track of your sim legacies.

@Pegasus143 Thank you again for helping out with people's question I honestly cannot thank you enough, I've also seen you answer people's questions before in the forums too :D YOUR'E EPIC :D

@SilentKitty Its good the bio update is appreciated :) and of-course there's more nice things to come in time.
    cmhREQk.png
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

@ThePlumtree Thank you and @ThePlumbob for this familytree!

It really makes it so much more fun to play legacies when you can store the information for later. Just the little things that was special about that earlier sim that you forget when the legacy moves forward. I like to go back and tie things together, "Well look at that, great grandpa also had an unfortunate fascination with cowplants, I can totally use this".

• Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited September 2016
    @ThePlumtree Thank you and @ThePlumbob for this familytree!

It really makes it so much more fun to play legacies when you can store the information for later. Just the little things that was special about that earlier sim that you forget when the legacy moves forward. I like to go back and tie things together, "Well look at that, great grandpa also had an unfortunate fascination with cowplants, I can totally use this".

Haha! Oh great-grandpa, if only he'd known how to control his sweet tooth... :D

• Options
    KlueniiKluenii Posts: 90 Member
    @ThePlumtree Thanks! Loving the bio feature! I've been working on my tree in stages, using an old save game to fix up some of the poor images and adding a little more detail to the bios etc and I published a work in progress tree yesterday..

Today I noticed while I was working on updating things that it glitched out on occasion and previously saved bio information had disappeared. When I noticed the field blank, I edited each person that had info stored in bio and did a quick copy/paste of the bio field from the WIP published page(loaded in a separate tab) to the copy I was working on, republished and all seems to be intact again.
  • Options
    @Kluenii thats cool you're taking the time to go back to old saves to get the extra detail in your tree.

As for the disappearing bio information that sounds pretty bad. I can't off the top of my head think of what could be causing it but I'll take a deeper look at your tree and search through the logs to see if I spot anything. I see you've been adding quite a bit of detail for your sims in the legacy and I've read through the tree, its pretty interesting reading :) so its a shame if such work goes missing.
    cmhREQk.png
  • Options
    madokamadoka Posts: 277 Member
    edited September 2016
    Is there anyway I can add my main sim's girlfriend's parents/family as well? I can only add his parents/sister, but I cannot edit his girlfriend's line and add her parents/sibling. This is the main reason I haven't switched to the Plum Tree from Family Echo yet.

Here is my Plum Tree family tree: http://app.theplumtreeapp.com/public.html#57ddcbe615d434ed01c66898
    As you see Carlisle's parents Danny and Angel are on there, but I cannot add Eliana's parents.

Here is my Family Echo family tree: http://www.familyecho.com/?p=IBXBB&c=ol6wz43g7i&f=568166937848580760
    If you click on Eliana in this family tree it will then show her parents, sibling, etc.

I really love the Plum Tree and the idea behind it but I am sad I cannot completely make the switch over until this is a feature. If it already is a feature please tell me how it is done because I absolutely adore the interface of the Plum Tree. Thank you.

EDIT
    Nevermind, I just read the FAQ. Whoops, there goes my hopes :/
    tumblr_n44s6oo9G21qztgoio1_500.gif
    Find my Legacy family tree here
  • Options
    TurquoisePapayaTurquoisePapaya Posts: 318 Member
    @ThePlumtree Thank you! :)
    But I'm still confused about how to add the founder's step daughter. Is there something important I'm missing?
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    My daughter and I have both tried different apps or programs for our family trees but we've found them not a great fit. We will definitely be trying this out!
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options
    @madoka The feature isn't there yet but it is one of the top requested ones. I'm actively working on it now so hopefully you can make the move in the not to distant future :) It will work in a similar way to family echo where you can link trees so each tree still has one root but legacies from partners can also be included via linked trees.

@TurquoisePapaya If you added the founder, their partner and the stepdaughters parent you can add the step-daughter as any other child of the founder and partner. When you edit the node for the children make sure to set the step daughters biological parents as the founders partner and the partners partner. Set the other children biological parents as the founder and partner. You should then be able to hover over any child to highlight the parents.

Im probably not explaining it too well so sorry in advance. If you look at the Bloomer Legacy from @ThePlumbob app.theplumtreeapp.com/public.html#571cc0c6924b5c0e005454dd generation 2 Isaac + Ruby have some children but Ruby also had a previous partner (in your example would be the founders step daughters other parent). Then hovering over the children reveals who is which parent.
    cmhREQk.png
  • Options
    @poeticnebula Hopefully you'll like the plum tree and if theres something thats not a great fit post me a message. I'm happy to try and meet as many needs as possible :)
    cmhREQk.png
  • Options
    @ThePlumtree I just spotted one example of missing bio from my tree

Joaquin LaChien (4th generation spouse - middle right approximately)

I'm positive there was a point I had published in the bio for him

Claim to fame
    saved from death on 2 separate occasions
    Resurrected when Ella pleaded for his life as Demi went into labour
    Resurrected to give his son Edwin one final hug

something along those lines - That is one I can't recall the exact wording of
  • Options
    @ThePlumtree Oh my goodness! That makes so much sense! Thank you! I was missing something!
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @ThePlumbob @ThePlumtree On the homepage of the plumtree app, it says' you're' when it should be 'your', in the last line of the description, just above the 'Get Started' button. Sorry. :(
    Edit: Noticed the autocorrect changed 'plumber' to 'plumber' just now. Fixed that.
    Post edited by TurquoisePapaya on
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob @ThePlumtree On the homepage of the plumber app, it says' you're' when it should be 'your', in the last line of the description, just above the 'Get Started' button. Sorry. :(

@ThePlumtree isn't the best at typing so it's perfectly possible :p
  • Options
    @Kluenii Thanks for the extra info theres certainly something up here. I can see some errors in the logs but the cause is still a mystery, this ones going to take a bit of digging which may take days rather than hours. Hope it doesn't give you too bad impressions of the app while I tinker to get things right.

@TurquoisePapaya thanks for the spotting that, fixed the typo :blush: spelling and grammar was never my strong suit.

@ThePlumbob agreed :tongue:
    cmhREQk.png
  • Options
    ReveryRevery Posts: 166 Member
    edited September 2016
    Great tool! I just checked it out on my phone and was surprised to find that the mobile website is very user friendly... I didn't expect that :smiley:.

I think it's nice to have a family tree creator specifically for The Sims. I'll definitely start using it for my legacy.

Thanks for investing your time to make this, @ThePlumbob.
  • Options
    Revery wrote: »
    Great tool! I just checked it out on my phone and was surprised to find that the mobile website is very user friendly... I didn't expect that :smiley:.

I think it's nice to have a family tree creator specifically for The Sims. I'll definitely start using it for my legacy.

It was @ThePlumtree that made it, I mainly just try to answer people's questions, feed back to him and gloat about how awesome my boyfriend is ;)

We're glad you like the app! And that it's working well for you on mobile too, yay!
  • Options
    @ThePlumtree Nope!! No bad impressions at all! I've had some experience in the past with code, so I know a few bugs happen and can be a pain to find! One reason why I added a little extra info on my end to help track down the bug. Hope it doesn't cause you too many additional headaches!
  • Options
    ReveryRevery Posts: 166 Member
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    Revery wrote: »

It was @ThePlumtree that made it, I mainly just try to answer people's questions, feed back to him and gloat about how awesome my boyfriend is ;)

We're glad you like the app! And that it's working well for you on mobile too, yay!

I actually tagged @ThePlumtree before my first edit, got confused after re-checking who started the thread, then came back wanting to include you both so no one would feel left out xD.

Anyway, I think I read somewhere that you might add translations at some point in the future. Feel free to contact me here on the forum if you need a native German, I'd love to be of help.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Revery Yeah I made the thread and generally post announcements about any updates to the app since @ThePlumtree only just joined the forums recently and isn't on here as often as me :) Thank you for thinking of us both!

Ooh, and noted! We'd love to do localisation somewhere down the line and willing German speaker would most definitely be appreciated!