Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remember Simsville?

Banksy33Banksy33 Posts: 243 Member
edited March 2016 in The Sims (2000)
Hey guys!

In 2001, Maxis announced it was cancelling what was to be the next big entry to their successful Sim lineup...

Come check out my new series "What Happened To?", where we'll take a look at some of the most anticipated sandbox games that either never made release or just couldn't live up to the hype!

https://youtu.be/ELDJS80dwLs

How did you feel about its cancellation? Were you excited for this game?
Post edited by Banksy33 on

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    This was a game that I didn't know about, until now.
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    I never knew about that game until now, either. I guess it got canceled in favor of development of Sims 2. I will check out your video when I'm not on mobile.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    Stormy_WintersStormy_Winters Posts: 127 Member
    Wow that looks cool.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I remember the trailer at the time and thinking it looked amazing.
  • Options
    Mrknowitall526Mrknowitall526 Posts: 386 Member
    Totally forgot about it until right now!

But man, nothing could replace the feeling of getting Livin' Large. I still remember the excitement that that game brought to the base game, that I haven't really ever felt again in 15 years. Hot Date was a close second!
  • Options
    Leo_GruenLeo_Gruen Posts: 468 Member
    Personally I think this game turned into The Sims 3.

The Sims 3 never felt like the other games in the series and the fact that sims 4 moved back to the formats of 1 and 2 sort of helps that point.
  • Options
    hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    how did i miss this?! what?? want!!
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    I watched the video and the neighbourhood looks really good and does look a mixture of Sims3 and Sims4! :)
    I can't believe this was back in 2001/2002. :)
    I didn't play The Sims until 2005, so I think that is my reason for not knowing about Simsville - can't recall it being mentioned on Sims Forums before this.
    Wouldn't it be great if it was resurrected?
  • Options
    I watched the video and the neighbourhood looks really good and does look a mixture of Sims3 and Sims4! :)
    I can't believe this was back in 2001/2002. :)
    I didn't play The Sims until 2005, so I think that is my reason for not knowing about Simsville - can't recall it being mentioned on Sims Forums before this.
    Wouldn't it be great if it was resurrected?

The cartoon style looked really cool in my opinion, It looked like a fun town management game.. The trailer got me so excited! I hope we get something similar in the future, however I feel it's the sims style that really made it so interesting, also I was madly playing the sims 1 at the time so the thought of playing a whole town of sims blew my mind at the time haha.
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    Banksy33 wrote: »
    The cartoon style looked really cool in my opinion, It looked like a fun town management game.. The trailer got me so excited! I hope we get something similar in the future, however I feel it's the sims style that really made it so interesting, also I was madly playing the sims 1 at the time so the thought of playing a whole town of sims blew my mind at the time haha.
    I agree - the town looks really vibrant - more like Sims4 but with community lots e.g. City Hall, Theatre, Park etc. similar to what you would find in Sims3. I wonder if some of the buildings were going to be rabbit holes too?
    I am feeling inspired to try and re-create this neighbourhood on CAW for Sims3 - what a pity not to have a map of the neighbourhood! :)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hey guys!

In 2001, Maxis announced it was cancelling what was to be the next big entry to their successful Sim lineup...

Come check out my new series "What Happened To?", where we'll take a look at some of the most anticipated sandbox games that either never made release or just couldn't live up to the hype!

Ah, man, yeah, I still want that game. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
    I really wish they would release an updated version, I think they still Play SimsVille, I wish I could play it!

Here is my Discussion on SimsVille share your thoughts

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/880180/simsville

• Options
    DcD2510 wrote: »
    I really wish they would release an updated version, I think they still Play SimsVille, I wish I could play it!

Here is my Discussion on SimsVille share your thoughts

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/880180/simsville

Yeah it'd be so awesome to find a test version of the game to play, from the development videos it seems they were pretty much finished.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Ah, man, yeah, I still want that game. lol

haha I know, I do also! it seems like it'd be such a fun game.
  • Options
    Romeo9Romeo9 Posts: 38 Member
    I personally wasn't very happy when I heard they cancelled SimSVille, from the day I saw it in the trailer during the Livin Large expansion I was hyped for it. However the reason given later honestly made sense. Maxis had already split their staff into staff working on Sims expansions and staff working on The Sims Online. So to split that group again would have been counter productive. At the time I didn't really care I was excited for both SimSVille and The Sims Online. Obviously now with The Sims Online completely dead I'd much rather wish they had worked on SimsVille instead. Oh well...