Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the future for The Sims?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,536 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    I don't know, but I do feel like the series on a decline like Sim City.
    Kind of like how I felt about The Sims Medieval as it faded away,
    I thought they would at least get in a few more add-ons for Medieval.
    EA has always kept side games like Medieval and the three Story Line games small and I am quite sure that the reason is that EA wants to target such side games at people who don't like big games with a lot of expansions. EA also doesn't want to have two very similar games for the same platform in a way that could cause them to just steal customers from eachother. So I wasn't actually surprised that Mediaval only got one small expansion.

I believe they cut it short sooner than they intended, and the game was the way it was because they didn't want to steal customers from The Sims 3. They wanted to entice other players. And that's why it failed. Medieval was trying to be an quest based RPG and a sims games, but did neither very well. Their forums were pretty sad at the end of it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Can't say I'm that impressed by Sims 4's graphics, it's by no means good enough to be bothered by it playing Sims 3 and even 2 (apart from the fact I'm really not in it for the graphics). And after seeing some Planet Coaster videos and what they are capable of nowadays apparently, I'm even less impressed. That game is far from ultra realistic, but it looks great.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GrandJuryGrandJury Posts: 183 Member
    xPaxion wrote: »
    The only company that would be willing to take the gamble on investing in a Sim clone would be a small indie company. The best you'll get is a game with Sims 1 like graphics. And from my experience on this forum. All you Simmer would do it constantly point out what is missing. Demanding more, and more, and more. Never happy. Never satisfied. The Sims 4 has modding tools, a modding community. So why don't you make us some fun mods. Make the missing content you deem so important for us. Why don't you give back instead of constantly taking all the time. It'll never happen cause Simmers are never happy.

I don't believe that the only studios that would take a gamble on it would be Indie companies. I was happy with TS2 and 3 and didn't complain at all, but 4 is not even a Sims title in my eyes so there is no reason for me to praise mediocrity (Which is solely my opinion). People complain all the time, all of them valid - since they spent their hard earned money on it.

Me creating mods? nah, i'll leave that to the people who generously donate their time to a lackluster game so that people can enjoy it more. I don't work for EA and they would have to pay me for that. Mod creators are the true heroes of this iteration and I admire them all for their skills.
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    The poster was saying that a good Sims competitor game would have AAA graphics and not look like TS4. You know, it would look like a modern game and not one that's 15 years old designed to run on a potato with wires.

ETA: Perhaps we should contact Frontier, the company that's making Planet Coaster and ask them to do a life simulation.

Exactly. Thank You.
    Shall we call it Grand Sims Auto? :blush:

They should do a whole other title and title it "World" or "Grand Sims" (I don't know if EA has copyright on that word though, lol)
    tumblr_naf4ttSCX81sqhjvzo1_500.jpg
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited August 2016
    TheSimer wrote: »
    Sims 4 sells well so we will most likely see sims 5 in around three years

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg
    It feels a little early and often for this. I can't imagine many companies being happy about needing to discount their product to get numbers up.
    I hope the strategy works out in the end. I really do want a Sims 5. I'm just a little concerned about what it will be.

We know sims 4 already sold 5 million units. And if you search on origin for the currently most sold games you see backard stuff on place 4, kidsroom stuff on place 5 and the basegame on place 7
    Zysxpba.png

9 packs were in the top 30 when backyard was released

Also look how sims 4 packs are placed in the uk charts
    http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg
    It feels a little early and often for this. I can't imagine many companies being happy about needing to discount their product to get numbers up.
    I hope the strategy works out in the end. I really do want a Sims 5. I'm just a little concerned about what it will be.

We know sims 4 already sold 5 million units. And if you search on origin for the currently most selled games you see backard stuff on place 4, kidsroom stuff on place 5 and the basegame on place 7

No, we don't know this. EA/Maxis has not to date confirmed any rumor relating to that pin.
  • Options

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

We know sims 4 already sold 5 million units. And if you search on origin for the currently most selled games you see backard stuff on place 4, kidsroom stuff on place 5 and the basegame on place 7

No, we don't know this. EA/Maxis has not to date confirmed any rumor relating to that pin.

The tweet was pretty clear, they oviously can't talk about it openly
  • Options

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

Yes, they can. In fact I think they would be trumpeting the fact. I remember when a big point was made that KP Sweet Treats shipped gold, that's means 500,000 in sales.
  • Options

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

Yes, they can. In fact I think they would be trumpeting the fact. I remember when a big point was made that KP Sweet Treats shipped gold, that's means 500,000 in sales.

This was years ago, they NOW can't talk about those things. Ea doesn't release sale numbers anymore
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,536 Member

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

You are really hung up on the 5 million number.
    My point isn't about unit sales. It's about EA making the profits it wants to make.

The Sims 4 is mostly likely a cheaper game to make, so maybe it's not an issue.
    I'm not happy about a game focused on the cheap though. Where are my toddlers and pre-teens? :D
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,970 Member
    edited August 2016

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

You are really hung up on the 5 million number.
    My point isn't about unit sales. It's about EA making the profits it wants to make.

The Sims 4 is mostly likely a cheaper game to make, so maybe it's not an issue.
    I'm not happy about a game focused on the cheap though. Where are my toddlers and pre-teens? :D
    Guess 5 million is the magic number but I see your point you trying to make, It should be more about profits than units because how many of those units was sold at full price versus sold on sale. A game like Witcher 3 if never sold never on sale sells 5 million units would have made a bigger profit than another company that sold the same amount but was on sale most of the time.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

What tweet? Who believes in numbers, best selling PC game last year, what does your gut say? Clear as mud.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @TheSimer They can and have with Battlefront- they can but haven't with the Sims 4. It's not an EA policy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/29/xbox-one-sales-figures-may-have-been-revealed-by-ea

"EA revealed it has shipped over 13 million copies of Star Wars Battlefront since its launch in November."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/10/star-wars-battlefront-sales-top-14-million

"In its fiscal year report for 2016, Electronic Arts revealed Star Wars Battlefront sold 14 million copies across all platforms."

"Still, the company announced at the beginning of January Star Wars Battlefront sold in 12 million copies since the game's November release."
  • Options
    I just used the KPST numbers because those are the last numbers I can remember from The Sims.
  • Options
    ZenoraZenora Posts: 63 Member
    As soon as they are done milking sims 4 and all the people paying for content, they might make a sims 5 or maybe a sims online mmorpg *shudder*
  • Options
    MeepMorpMeepMorp Posts: 85 Member
    If there was competitive game and someone made a Sim like game but it had The Sims 1 graphics. Would you still play it? Just curious if people are too spoiled by the nice graphics of The Sims 4.

I would SO play it. Graphics aren't everything and The Sims had lovely graphics in my opinion. It's outdated now, sure, but I still would play it if it worked on my PC... unfortunately my PC is too powerful and it simply refuses to work.*growls* So yeah, if a competitor had a rich and really fun game but with Sims 1 like graphics I would love to play it. I would even buy the first Sims again if they'd make it possible to run on new machines *HINT HINT* <3

The first Sims game had a very specific charm (same as Sims 2) which I'm really missing from Sims 3 and 4. I do love how Sims 4 looks. It's just sad that it feels so shallow at some parts. So I think it's time for a competitor. Though I imagine a game like Sims is hard to program and not to mention very, very expensive. It's different from GTA or Stardew Valley for example where NPC's have routes and things they say and specific things they do. A simulation with NPC's that are fully simulated is quite a difficult thing to do. Especially if more and more stuff gets added I think. There is so much to pay attention to because you can easily break old stuff if you add new stuff and you have to pay attention to the simulation and if everything goes well together. Sims is a complex game.

Also, imagine you had a huge simulation with everything in it you always wished for and graphics like GTA V's? No PC could probably do that without cutting things out of the simulation. And then we would be where we are now. A game like Sims is very different from other simulation games for instance. And you can't compare GTA to Sims. The NPCs there are pretty much hollow. They have places to go and things to do, yes. But no relationships, memories, personalities outside their spoken lines, no inventory, nothing. If they were as complex as Sims for instance that game would probably look very different, or not even run on many PCs, or even be too taxing for high-end PCs. As someone who wants to sell their game they'd have to think about all the different kinds of possible customers. Not just people with super PCs. There are far more people out there with mediocre PCs than really strong machines and they have to pay attention to them if they want to successfully sell their game.

Anyways, I personally would prefer something more comic styled. Just because it's bright and sweet looking doesn't mean it can't be more mature or deep (not to mention there's always the possibility to mod something more realistic). Stylized graphics can be so very pretty if done right and it's way more important that everything fits well together and lets the player immerse themselves instead of looking realistic in my opinion. It's the depth that counts. If it's just there to look pretty no one would be satisfied. Sims 4 could have been such an amazing game if it had real depth. Which doesn't necessarily mean the so called T word or Pets or Seasons. Not that this stuff isn't important. Just, it shouldn't be always happy and sunshine. Give the player more means to tell THEIR stories and let the Sims surprise them. Give traits and emotions more meaning and connect things better. I often feel like Sims 4 doesn't use the full potential and that's really sad because like I said, it could be really great. But unfortunately I personally feel limited so very often while playing. So I hope we get a good competitor one day. It should be more to it than just parties and challenges and shallow emotions.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    GrandJury wrote: »
    If there was competitive game and someone made a Sim like game but it had The Sims 1 graphics. Would you still play it? Just curious if people are too spoiled by the nice graphics of The Sims 4.

If there was a competitive game the graphics would like this (and better) since it's 2016 and not 2007:
    LDATRm0.jpg
    595369_1.jpg
    7.jpg

What does Grand Theft Auto 5 the worlds most expensive triple A title costing about $265 million got to do with a The Sims clone?

They would do it. And better.

There is no way a huge title would make a simulation game with Sims 1-level graphics, unless they plan on releasing it on the iOS and Android stores. The "nice" graphics of 4 that you mentioned is not competitive in the market today. Especially on any PC and Mac.

The only company that would be willing to take the gamble on investing in a Sim clone would be a small indie company. The best you'll get is a game with Sims 1 like graphics. And from my experience on this forum. All you Simmer would do it constantly point out what is missing. Demanding more, and more, and more. Never happy. Never satisfied. The Sims 4 has modding tools, a modding community. So why don't you make us some fun mods. Make the missing content you deem so important for us. Why don't you give back instead of constantly taking all the time. It'll never happen cause Simmers are never happy.

OMG this comment! I literally can't.

So Modders should make toddlers and cars???
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

Nor will EA say how many people bought the game but returned it within the refund window of time.
  • Options
    QuiteIzzzyQuiteIzzzy Posts: 293 Member
    MeepMorp wrote: »
    Anyways, I personally would prefer something more comic styled. Just because it's bright and sweet looking doesn't mean it can't be more mature or deep (not to mention there's always the possibility to mod something more realistic). Stylized graphics can be so very pretty if done right and it's way more important that everything fits well together and lets the player immerse themselves instead of looking realistic in my opinion. It's the depth that counts. If it's just there to look pretty no one would be satisfied. Sims 4 could have been such an amazing game if it had real depth. Which doesn't necessarily mean the so called T word or Pets or Seasons. Not that this stuff isn't important. Just, it shouldn't be always happy and sunshine. Give the player more means to tell THEIR stories and let the Sims surprise them. Give traits and emotions more meaning and connect things better. I often feel like Sims 4 doesn't use the full potential and that's really sad because like I said, it could be really great. But unfortunately I personally feel limited so very often while playing. So I hope we get a good competitor one day. It should be more to it than just parties and challenges and shallow emotions.

I don't mind the stylized, comic-like graphics as well. "Life is Strange" has one and it's amazing game with complex characters.

I agree - sticking with age restrictions and smoothing things are not always good for game. I realize, that many children plays The Sims, but c'mon. In TS1 there was some weird stuff and nobody complained. I dream about sandbox game with many storytelling posibilities, all we need is complex and consistent world to play in. I don't mind "shallow" sims, I can add deep to them with my imagination. All I need is more aspects in game.

There is only one, but very big "BUT". Majority of simplayers doesn't do storytelling. They just play selfsims and enjoy what the game gives to them. So... it might be not enough audience for this type of game.

I'm not totally worthless, I can be used as a bad example.

Adorno Family from Rebuilding Worlds
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    I don't know, but I do feel like the series on a decline like Sim City.
    Kind of like how I felt about The Sims Medieval as it faded away,
    I thought they would at least get in a few more add-ons for Medieval.
    EA has always kept side games like Medieval and the three Story Line games small and I am quite sure that the reason is that EA wants to target such side games at people who don't like big games with a lot of expansions. EA also doesn't want to have two very similar games for the same platform in a way that could cause them to just steal customers from eachother. So I wasn't actually surprised that Mediaval only got one small expansion.

I believe they cut it short sooner than they intended, and the game was the way it was because they didn't want to steal customers from The Sims 3. They wanted to entice other players. And that's why it failed. Medieval was trying to be an quest based RPG and a sims games, but did neither very well. Their forums were pretty sad at the end of it.
    It was as it was because they attempted to reach a new type of simmers with it an it was probably quite cheap to make because it was built on TS3's game engine. I think that they mostly meant it to be an introduction to the bigger TS3 game which they probably hoped the Medieval gamers would switch to.

Yes it was a mixture of the Sims and an easy RPG game because it was probably targeted at casual gamers who already knew a little about RPG games but found them too big and difficult. So maybe they could be persuaded to try TS3 instead this way? ;)

It wasn't the type of game which people usually discuss much in forums because the tasks were quite easy. So people didn't need much help. But the game was quite successful anyway and therefore also got an expansion. I also played it for some time myself. But then I needed a bigger EP which opened access to the other cities because everything became too wellknown for me. But EA never planned such an EP because EA probably didn't want the game to become too big.

Medieval also came in a mobile version btw. I bought this version too. But it wasn't very interesting.
  • Options
    indigophoenixindigophoenix Posts: 6 New Member
    Arkster93 wrote: »
    I see no future for this joke of a game. I give it one last chance with the next EP. If it'll be another half-baked pack, I'm done shoving more money down EA's throats.

I stopped buying after Get to Work, and I have zero interest in Sims 4 at this point. I stop into the forums occasionally, because I still play 2 &3 ... and I keep hoping for some news about Sims 4. I'm happy for those who are enjoying 4. It just doesn't jive with my play style. I would buy the plum out of a game that combined elements of 2 & 3. Oh, well. More money I'm not blowing on Sims games. ;)
  • Options
    flamingos2222flamingos2222 Posts: 8 New Member
    probly more bro and party idiocy
  • Options
    Jerrid_120Jerrid_120 Posts: 41 Member

If there was a competitive game the graphics would like this (and better) since it's 2016 and not 2007:
    LDATRm0.jpg
    595369_1.jpg
    7.jpg

What does Grand Theft Auto 5 the worlds most expensive triple A title costing about $265 million got to do with a The Sims clone?

They would do it. And better.

There is no way a huge title would make a simulation game with Sims 1-level graphics, unless they plan on releasing it on the iOS and Android stores. The "nice" graphics of 4 that you mentioned is not competitive in the market today. Especially on any PC and Mac.

giphy.gif

No wait are you actually serious? You seriously support fans having to pick up the slack cause the actual team could not deliver what they promised? Sorry my friend, but that is how games like the Sims 4 come to be like it is now. Half Baked and seriously lacking.