May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the future for The Sims?

Jerrid_120Jerrid_120 Posts: 41 Member
Sim City died and out came Cities Skylines.

Do you feel the same will happen to the Sims? Do any of you think another life simulator exaggerating real life needs to be made now?

I feel a little competition will wake up EA and Maxis (RIP)

Comments

• Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    The Sims 5.
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    I wish because Cities Skylines was amazing.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    xPaxion wrote: »
    The Sims 5.

This!

But you are right though, TS5 probably is the future so it gives us something to look forward to :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,546 Member
    I don't know, but I do feel like the series on a decline like Sim City.
    Kind of like how I felt about The Sims Medieval as it faded away,
    I thought they would at least get in a few more add-ons for Medieval.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    Sims 4 sells well so we will most likely see sims 5 in around three years
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I really wish ts4 would die like a James Bond villain get some competition. I think it'd be good for the life simulation genre. :)
  • Options
    TheSimer wrote: »

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg
    It feels a little early and often for this. I can't imagine many companies being happy about needing to discount their product to get numbers up.
    I hope the strategy works out in the end. I really do want a Sims 5. I'm just a little concerned about what it will be.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited August 2016
    At this point nobody knows but EA/Maxis, Sims 4 while good for some it is not as good for others Sims 4 is not all bad but it is stunted by it's lack of some features regardless if it is believed to be different. EA/Maxis for some feel EA/Maxis cut too deep or flipped the script too fast and the change in how Sims 4 is marketed. One thing I learned from SimCity is that everything is not what it seems and do not always believe what you hear and that can be good or bad, seeing Sims 5 can only be an speculation and not a certainty to me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GrandJuryGrandJury Posts: 183 Member
    Hopefully 5 is the future. I'd be so p.isssed if 4 is the last title.

I agree with you that they need competition though. Can you imagine if Rockstar released something like it?? It would be LIT
    tumblr_naf4ttSCX81sqhjvzo1_500.jpg
  • Options
    CK213 wrote: »

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg
    It feels a little early and often for this. I can't imagine many companies being happy about needing to discount their product to get numbers up.
    I hope the strategy works out in the end. I really do want a Sims 5. I'm just a little concerned about what it will be.

REALLY? Have you never seen Steam sales?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    I see no actual evidence that the game is dying. I do suspect it has a similar 5-year lifespan, but after 16 years buying packs, I wouldn't mind if it lasted a bit longer so we got more new-to-the-game things as well as repurchasing familiar things. At some point, even a successful game becomes stale, though, and worth doing something to start fresh - either retooling it, reusing lots of assets but letting it play on a higher range of systems (raising the bottom), or starting fresh again.

Competition is always good, but it would take a company with deep pockets to invest upfront in a competitor to Sims. I'm not sure many would go there when the market for other game styles seems both broad and deep, letting a lot of games flourish side by side easily.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    snurfles wrote: »

*is.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg
    So true and one would wonder if it had sold many copies why is it not GOTY because it is known that it is on sale most of the times.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

Lots of competitions between titles. Supply and demand.
    The Sims is a monopoly that shouldn't need to be discounted this much so often.
  • Options

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

Monopoly on what? Simulation games? What are you saying.
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

*is.
    Yep, beat EA/Maxis at their own game and it embarrassing that such a small company can do this.

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

*is.
    Yep, beat EA/Maxis at their own game and it embarrassing that such a small company can do this.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9IHTlOMW-w

Was announced this month.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Arkster93Arkster93 Posts: 154 Member
    I see no future for this joke of a game. I give it one last chance with the next EP. If it'll be another half-baked pack, I'm done shoving more money down EA's throats.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

It might be a monopoly, but it's still two years old in an always-changing marketplace. A little "look at me again" nudge could bring new players who held back because they don't want to play without some of the add-ons that the game has two years in - more add-ons than a typical game has. Sale prices can be a sign of sagging sales volume, but they aren't always that.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

The Sims is a one of a kind game and doesn't have a close competitor.
    Coke has Pepsi.
    Call of Duty has Battlefield.

If you want an alternative to The Sims, you will be playing a very different game.
    Even this market is different and bit monolithic. A lot of simmers don't even play other games.
  • Options
    Arkster93 wrote: »
    I see no future for this joke of a game. I give it one last chance with the next EP. If it'll be another half-baked pack, I'm done shoving more money down EA's throats.

We might not have toddlers in The Sims 4 but we sure got them on the forums.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

Not the Simulation genre itself but on the type of game Sims 4 is and the mechanics. You can sell many things at half price and get on the bestseller list but the income is not the same if it was sold at full price. So I agree with CH213 that EA/Maxis does have an monopoly on Sims because no company at the moment is not challenging them. Another thing Sims 4 is not marketed on Steam at this time so there are no numbers to be seen.

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Arkster93 wrote: »

We might not have toddlers in The Sims 4 but we sure got them on the forums.

OMG LOL!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited August 2016

Yep selling well...
    Selling%20Well.jpg

Even though the Sims does not face any direct competition, it faces competition from other PC games too. It's not a perfect monopoly (which is an economic idea that does not usually exist outside regulated markets). This means that other PC games (simulation games, like Stardew Valley but potentially other kinds of games too) still pose an (indirect) competitive constraint on The Sims. Ie Imagine the Sims was priced at $120 (since it's allegedly a monopoly they could do it couldn't they?), would anyone still buy it? Probably not. Demand would switch to other games (or even to previous games). These games indirectly compete with The Sims.

All that means The Sims games do not live in a bubble outside the market. The game's price has to adapt to market conditions, to (indirect) competitors' new launches and offers etc.

ETA: that doesn't mean I don't agree that The Sims needing some DIRECT competition. Of course direct competition is always preferable and I think the franchise (and us consumers) would benefit from it. My comment related to the fact that the game is currently on sale in Origin and how this may just be a tactic to adapt to market conditions.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Here's another example of great competition for simulation games: Planet Coaster instead of the latest entry in the RollerCoaster Tycoon series, RCT World, I think it's called. General consensus is that it (RCTW) is a truly horrible game.

The devs of Planet Coaster seem so excited about their game and like they are honestly listening to fans and implementing what they want, unlike devs who say, "We're listening" but then don't do a darn thing about what the fans are asking for. Check out one of the videos: http://youtu.be/maYufgvcRis and look at all the detail. This cartoony look didn't work for me in TS4 but it does for PC, because there are so many simulated people and the emphasis is on the park itself.

PC goes into Alpha 3 today and you can buy it early (only for a few more days, though, then it's closing until release) and play it for months before its November release. Costs a little more but I want to support these devs. The gameplay videos have me excited, not cringing like I was with TS4 prerelease videos. Competition!!