Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New computer = horrible edges?

Comments

• Options
    Jessvera1Jessvera1 Posts: 45 Member
    Thank you Nearia35. Could you please enlighten me as to what minimum requirements my computer supposedly doesn't meet?
  • Options
    My issue with the other poster is that they made a post specifically attacking my use of the word "new," not even making any comment about the situation except that the computer I bought wasn't brand new. It was a nasty comment unrelated to anything about the performance of the computer.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Jessvera1 wrote: »
    My issue with the other poster is that they made a post specifically attacking my use of the word "new," not even making any comment about the situation except that the computer I bought wasn't brand new. It was a nasty comment unrelated to anything about the performance of the computer.

I dont see how anyone has been nasty.
    We were just simply stating the facts that even brand new your laptops doesn't meet to requirements, And refurbished might even make it worse (no idea how it's been treated in the past.)
    It's honestly like a car, When buying a used car you would usually get the car inspected for any defaults and problems relating to how it's been used and treated before.
    Now with a laptop, you don't know how the hardware is inside until something happens, which usually means costly repairs or replacement. Add to that you get wear and tear for from hardware which can lead to lower performance.
    Now phoebebebe was just simply telling me that the laptop was older (she may not of thought i knew.) Nobody was attacking you or being nasty.
    And Windows 10 was brought up because some hardware is not compatible with windows 10.
    We are sorry if you took any of this the wrong way, but we were just simply trying to tell you that your laptop will not play the game correctly and this is why you are having issues.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,616 Member

What Phoebe meant is that your computer is yes, new to you, but it has old hardware. Old hardware can cause problems to play this game since this is a new game and your hardware is probably from 2009-2010 since it originally had Windows 7. Some old intel graphics card aren't fit to be upgraded to Windows 10. If you try to upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10, it will warn you if your laptop is fit or not to get the upgrade. Since this laptop is refurbished, you would not know how the original owner did it. They might have just gone with the Windows 10 upgrade even if the card doesn't meet the requirement.

It's like you're asking an old guy to run a marathon, compared to a young person (assuming they are both rather healthy). The old guy is probably not going to make it far unless he used to be some sprinter in his early days, but in your case, your laptop isn't cuz it is not even a gaming laptop to begin with.

The laptop you have now doesn't meet the recommended specs. You should not be looking at the minimum specs unless you want to play at the bare minimum for all the settings, thus minimum specs.

You are using an Intel HD Graphics card. This game needs at least an Nvidia GTX960m for laptop as mentioned by Phoebe. I can't find an Intel Graphics vs Nvidia GTX960m comparison, but the one I can find is only the desktop version but you can get the rough idea of how different these two are.
    http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-Intel-HD-4600-Desktop-125-GHz/3165vs2168

Your RAM kinda just meets the requirement barely so you would have to play the game on the 32bit version of the game, not 64bit.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Either way, I don't even know why we're discussing about your refurbished laptop. Even if you bought a laptop that was manufactured in 2016, with those specs, you would still not meet the game's requirements.

I hope you get that.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Your title is misleading people who help in tech. The title states New computer-horrible edges which is a false statement to claim your computer is new , out of the box and unused. Im sorry but your computer is like 5 years old and used. Your hardware probably can't handle windows 10. I would go back to windows 7. People should do their research before buying a computer if they want to play a game that has certain requirements to play that game. You buy a laptop, once the video card or processor goes you can't replace it . The laptop becomes a garbage throw away. Since yours is used, it has more wear and tear on it and will not last as long as you may think it will. You chose to buy this computer without doing research and now it won't play the game.That's not our fault yet you blame us, especially me. You keep making personal attacks at me even though others have told you the same thing I have. Making personal attacks is against form rules. My only advice to you at this point is learn from this experience. Never buy a used 5 year old laptop. Do your research, save your money to buy a new computer that will run this game properly and meets the requirements to run this game. There is nothing anyone can do here to fix your problem with your current laptop
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @DeKay

On desktop GTX 950 or better. Laptop GTX 960m or better. :)
  • Options
    Replying the way I want to is pointless, so it will suffice to say that you are incorrect, Phoebe. YOU are the one making personal attacks, as anyone who can read sees plainly. Your advice is simply wrong. My "horrible five year old refurbished laptop" runs great, and runs The Sims very well except for the not-perfectly smooth edges. As seen in my screenshot, the game is more than playable. I am tremendously happy I did not come here before purchasing, as I would have been misinformed and would have wasted money has I listened to you.

I suggest anyone else taking this user's advice to search this user's name on actual technical forums. They have been proven wrong many times, as you will see for yourself. Remember to guard yourself against misinformation.
  • Options
    JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    Replying the way I want to is pointless, so it will suffice to say that you are incorrect, Phoebe. YOU are the one making personal attacks, as anyone who can read sees plainly. Your advice is simply wrong. My "horrible five year old refurbished laptop" runs great, and runs The Sims very well except for the not-perfectly smooth edges. As seen in my screenshot, the game is more than playable. I am tremendously happy I did not come here before purchasing, as I would have been misinformed and would have wasted money has I listened to you.

I suggest anyone else taking this user's advice to search this user's name on actual technical forums. They have been proven wrong many times, as you will see for yourself. Remember to guard yourself against misinformation.

I know I shouldn't be doing this but I just have to say something, the people here on this thread know their stuff and know it well, You asked a question here and they were nice enough to give you a reply, it was not the reply you were looking for but it was an honest reply your brand new (to you) laptop can't play the Sims 4, it might play it ok now, just rough edges but I can promise you it will fry your laptop sooner or later.

How do I know this? because Sims 3 fried mine, dead. The game played great for awhile and I played it a lot almost everyday, then it started getting laggy, longer and longer load times, everything else work on it, no problems surfing the web and the like, it was just the sims that was getting worse and worse, it started getting hot and shutting itself off, so I bought a cooling pad for it and that worked great for a while, then even the cooling pad didn't stop it from over heating and shutting itself off, then one day it just died, it wouldn't even turn on.

This is what they are trying very nicely I might add to tell you, the sims 4 will sometime in the future fry your laptop.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• Options

Sorry to say, But if you went to any other forum and asked the same question you will get the same answer.. your laptop is not good enough. Sorry you cannot except that.
    I know what i am doing, i have been building and upgrading computers for years now. I am constantly researching new hardware and i do know my tech. And i have been helping in these forums for many years. The advice both myself and Phoebebebe give is accurate and anybody who knows anything about tech and computers and how they run games will tell you the same thing. I am a gamer myself so i KNOW what it takes to run a game, and your laptop is just simply not designed for gaming!
    I find your statements very disrespectful to myself and others who spend their time willingly helping others. It's just simply not our fault that your laptop is weak.. you are the only one to blame for that, so stop blaming others for your lack of knowledge in computers.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited July 2016

Don't you dare be mean to @phoebebebe13; she has done nothing wrong.

Everyone here is trying to tell you that your laptop is quite weak and you pretty much refuse to listen.

Feel free not to take everyone's advice - it is your computer, you can do whatever you want with it, but you'll end up doing physical damage to the computer eventually in the future.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    For those of you who know me, you know I am not a regular contributor on this board as my niche is TS3. But I've been watching this thread from its beginning. It seems there's a couple of statements the OP has made that aren't being taken into full consideration at this point.
    ...Clearly it is running Windows 10, and Windows 10 has nothing to do with The Sims.
    The age of the computer should not be an issue whatsoever if the computer itself is unable to run the game, as you claim.

They have also not explicitly acknowledged the clearly pointed out shortcomings of running a resource intensive game on a system with integrated graphics and only 4 GB of RAM total.

There are therefore two possibilities. One is that the OP earnestly and honestly does not understand the relationship between an operating system and the programs that run on it, nor the impact that aging and use have on lower-end hardware. The other is that they do understand all of that quite well and are only continuing to post here to be annoying.

It's a coin toss. But either way, it's clear that:
    -- They do not regard the assessment given as accurate or having any value. They are certainly free to do that, even though they have demonstrated to everyone else that they are not qualified to make such a judgement especially on behalf of others who might be reading this forum board and who have received/will receive assistance from this remarkably helpful tech responder.

-- By focusing on one responder and falsely accusing her of a "personal attack," while ignoring the fact that everyone else on the thread has actually been saying the same things but in different ways, they are dangerously close to violating the terms of use of this forum. More importantly, though, such irrational singling out is impolite and a waste of everyone's time.

As you all were. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the back someplace between Sunset Valley and Riverview. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Replying the way I want to is pointless, so it will suffice to say that you are incorrect.

Likewise, anyone actually trying to inform you of the state of your laptop is pointless, so it will suffice to say that I hope you enjoy the absolutely stellar performance such a wonderful machine is providing you - until it burns up. :)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hello @Jessvera1 ,

Try deleting the options.ini file under "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The sims 4" and ensure that Edge Smoothing is set to high after re-launching your game. It's likely that the configuration for the previous display adapter is incompatible with your new hardware.

You're correct that the age of your system is less relevant, and even if the GPU can't render the environment at high rates, as long as there is enough memory for processing of world data and effects, you should be able to view the environment at the highest settings with full anti-aliasing. After removing your options.ini and re-launching the game, test all of your graphic options under Game Options -> Graphics on High/Very High and ensure that Edge Smoothing is set to High.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    I wouldn't be playing the game on high settings.
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
    Available OS Memory: 3892MB RAM

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Hello @Jessvera1 ,

Try deleting the options.ini file under "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The sims 4" and ensure that Edge Smoothing is set to high after re-launching your game. It's likely that the configuration for the previous display adapter is incompatible with your new hardware.

You're correct that the age of your system is less relevant, and even if the GPU can't render the environment at high rates, as long as there is enough memory for processing of world data and effects, you should be able to view the environment at the highest settings with full anti-aliasing. After removing your options.ini and re-launching the game, test all of your graphic options under Game Options -> Graphics on High/Very High and ensure that Edge Smoothing is set to High.

I guess you didnt read the dxiag :/
  • Options
    Thanks so much Forest! I will try that right now.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Thanks so much Forest! I will try that right now.

You could just set the edge smoothing to medium, no need to up the graphics since your laptop couldn't even handle it. You will get like 10fps performance if you do that and fry your laptop after a while. LOL.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    @Forest_Ninja I did as you suggested and it worked! I have everything on high now and it has made such a difference! My game runs incredibly smoothly and I play with a good chunk of cc as well. No lag, no "10 fps," just smooth sailing. The laptop itself even get hot. It's a shame that there is so much misinformation out there - I imagine there are a bunch of people playing the game with everything set to low when they could have such a better experience. So sad! Thank you so much for your help!!
  • Options
    Another solution for anyone with this problem is to play full screen - not in windowed mode. This comes from simmers on Tumblr.
  • Options
    @Forest_Ninja I did as you suggested and it worked! I have everything on high now and it has made such a difference! My game runs incredibly smoothly and I play with a good chunk of cc as well. No lag, no "10 fps," just smooth sailing. The laptop itself even get hot. It's a shame that there is so much misinformation out there - I imagine there are a bunch of people playing the game with everything set to low when they could have such a better experience. So sad! Thank you so much for your help!!

If you want to ruin your laptop.. go ahead.
    But trust me when i say... your laptop IS NOT DESIGNED FOR GAMING! Sorry you feel that we are all unable to give you CORRECT answers.
    If you care to check your fps.. it will not be more than 20. And i will say, you don't even have enough system ram for your graphics card to borrow, because you lack a dedicated graphics card. you will eventually crash your game... if not your whole laptop.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    Another solution for anyone with this problem is to play full screen - not in windowed mode. This comes from simmers on Tumblr.

If heating is a problem you can throttle your processors in the windows power profiles under System -> Power and Sleep -> Additional Power Settings -> "Change Plan Settings" -> "Change Advanced Power Settings"

@chesterbigbird can tell you how to activate vsync to reduce load on your GPU.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    They will not be getting high enough fps so no need for vsync. The intel chip is seriously under powered for this game.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    LOL what is even happening here? :D
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    They will not be getting high enough fps so no need for vsync. The intel chip is seriously under powered for this game.
    DeKay wrote: »
    LOL what is even happening here? :D

First time I have seen a request for vsync on a 5 year old intel card not designed for gaming that could not even hit 60 fps on this game to need vsync :p