Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New computer = horrible edges?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,658 Member
    Jessvera1 wrote: »
    Forest_Ninja I did as you suggested and it worked! I have everything on high now and it has made such a difference! My game runs incredibly smoothly and I play with a good chunk of cc as well. No lag, no "10 fps," just smooth sailing. The laptop itself even get hot. It's a shame that there is so much misinformation out there - I imagine there are a bunch of people playing the game with everything set to low when they could have such a better experience. So sad! Thank you so much for your help!!

This line gets me every time. :D I want whatever Intel card OP has cuz mine is definitely not that fantastic. LOL! :joy: Who needs an Nvidia? :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Forest_Ninja I did as you suggested and it worked! I have everything on high now and it has made such a difference! My game runs incredibly smoothly and I play with a good chunk of cc as well. No lag, no "10 fps," just smooth sailing. The laptop itself even get hot. It's a shame that there is so much misinformation out there - I imagine there are a bunch of people playing the game with everything set to low when they could have such a better experience. So sad! Thank you so much for your help!!

This line gets me every time. :D I want whatever Intel card OP has cuz mine is definitely not that fantastic. LOL! :joy: Who needs an Nvidia? :D

AMD is where it is at. B)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

No, it's the OP's Intel.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member

No, it's the OP's Intel.

I know. o:)

AMD's better than NVidia. :p
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    Hello @Jessvera1 ,

Try deleting the options.ini file under "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The sims 4" and ensure that Edge Smoothing is set to high after re-launching your game. It's likely that the configuration for the previous display adapter is incompatible with your new hardware.

You're correct that the age of your system is less relevant, and even if the GPU can't render the environment at high rates, as long as there is enough memory for processing of world data and effects, you should be able to view the environment at the highest settings with full anti-aliasing. After removing your options.ini and re-launching the game, test all of your graphic options under Game Options -> Graphics on High/Very High and ensure that Edge Smoothing is set to High.

I guess you didnt read the dxiag :/

I guess you didn't read the support request....

"The new laptop is a better computer, stats wise, but suddenly the edges are crooked and not smooth? I booted up the game on both and the difference is clear! I had the settings on the new computer higher than my old one, but made them both the same and the difference is still there. I really wish to play the smooth game again. Can anyone help me?"

If the solution isn't immediately clear to you then you don't know anything about hardware profiles or device interfaces.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Hello @Jessvera1 ,

Try deleting the options.ini file under "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The sims 4" and ensure that Edge Smoothing is set to high after re-launching your game. It's likely that the configuration for the previous display adapter is incompatible with your new hardware.

You're correct that the age of your system is less relevant, and even if the GPU can't render the environment at high rates, as long as there is enough memory for processing of world data and effects, you should be able to view the environment at the highest settings with full anti-aliasing. After removing your options.ini and re-launching the game, test all of your graphic options under Game Options -> Graphics on High/Very High and ensure that Edge Smoothing is set to High.

"The new laptop is a better computer, stats wise, but suddenly the edges are crooked and not smooth? I booted up the game on both and the difference is clear! I had the settings on the new computer higher than my old one, but made them both the same and the difference is still there. I really wish to play the smooth game again. Can anyone help me?"

If the solution isn't immediately clear to you then you don't know anything about hardware profiles or device interfaces.

I did read it and so did everyone else in this thread. You should continue to read the thread , read the DxDiag of what op claims is their new computer. Furthermore asking chester to help op use vsync on a 5 year old intel card is just silly
  • Options
    Hello @Jessvera1 ,

I did read it and so did everyone else in this thread. You should continue to read the thread , read the DxDiag of what op claims is their new computer. Furthermore asking chester to help op use vsync on a 5 year old intel card is just silly

Arguing for nearly a week over something which should have been answered within 60 seconds is also silly.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Hello @Jessvera1 ,

Arguing for nearly a week over something which should have been answered within 60 seconds is also silly.

OP should have taken the correct advise given. You gave them the wrong advice in 60 seconds. Telling a person with a 5 year old computer that is refurbished, integrated with only 4gb of ram that does not meet the requirements to play game to play on high and then page chester to help op use vsync LOL LOL
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Hello @Jessvera1 ,

OP should have taken the correct advise given. You gave them the wrong advice in 60 seconds. Telling a person with a 5 year old computer that is refurbished, integrated with only 4gb of ram that does not meet the requirements to play game to play on high and then page chester to help op use vsync LOL LOL

There was no reason to even request a diagnostic. All responders should have answered per the information which was given within the first post. Nothing more was needed to solve the problem and you've wasted a week of the person's time. It isn't your place to assess the capabilities of their hardware and they were already aware that their system is capable of running the game at it's maximums.

There would have been no need for vsync regardless however suggesting it as a solution to thermal issues appeared to be one of your standard procedures...
  • Options
    Hello @Jessvera1 ,

Well, first of all OP said they put the settings even higher than the old one. How is it even possible for you to get crooked edges like that if you have your edge smoothing at least at medium? You can't. "And made them both the same" and it's still there. So my first reaction would be there must be something wrong with the hardware.

Trust me, if OP was to start the thread with that image of their gameplay, I would have just suggested to increase their edge smoothing and wouldn't ask for a dxdiag.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Well, first of all OP said they put the settings even higher than the old one. How is it even possible for you to get crooked edges like that if you have your edge smoothing at least at medium? You can't. "And made them both the same" and it's still there. So my first reaction would be there must be something wrong with the hardware.

Trust me, if OP was to start the thread with that image of their gameplay, I would have just suggested to increase their edge smoothing and wouldn't ask for a dxdiag.

It is possible if the configuration is compatible with display standards but not the interfaces and/or functions which are required by the new hardware, which is why the hardware configuration must be 'reset' when moving user profiles to a new system or after hardware has been replaced. Even replacement of drivers requires reconfiguration of hardware profiles.
  • Options
    Jessvera1Jessvera1 Posts: 45 Member

FYI the edge smoothing was on high - seeing I myself could deduce that the edges weren't smooth and that there was an option called "edge smoothing," I set it on high. It was on high in my screenshot.

• Options

FYI the edge smoothing was on high - seeing I myself could deduce that the edges weren't smooth and that there was an option called "edge smoothing," I set it on high. It was on high in my screenshot.

So only setting the graphics on high made the difference now?
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    I say let the topic go, OP got what he/she wanted and there is no need to go on about it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen