Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adding another trait slot - a good idea?

So what if we had 4 trait slots instead of the 3? Would that be better and give the Sims more personality?

I think they should add another trait slot and give the kids 2 trait slots (currently 1) and the teens 3! :)
a256aFi.gif

Comments

• Options
    ernesdoernesdo Posts: 1,476 Member
    I don't think we have enough traits for that. :|
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    ernesdo wrote: »
    I don't think we have enough traits for that. :|

We have more than 3 and most of them aren't really defining a Sim.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited July 2016
    I think we definitely need more slots. Kids having a single trait makes them very one-dimensional and sometimes identical in behavior, and 3 for an adult it just pitiful. TS3 kids had 3 traits lol.

But right now traits don't seem to affect much (it seems emotions affect behavior more than traits). Until the traits get tweaked or something not even 10 trait slots will make them feel unique. Not to mention we hardly get any new traits lately.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I agree with the rest. We need way more traits and we also need traits to actually define sims' personalities (affect their whims, their reactions, etc). As they currently work, it just doesn't matter if a sim has 3 traits or 30.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2016
    I would love for five trait slots personally. Even 4 is not enough from when I tested it with a mod. I tried with 10, didn't like it I admit. Traits need to be powerful and make Sims feel unique too. So traits in general could use tuning up.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mercimerci Posts: 60 Member
    YES. yes yes please! i want more traits that define personality like @Qdog said and more traits like @FreezerBunnyCowplant said.
    i feel like theres NO DIFFERENCE between my sims! they all have the same emotions! i miss shy trait most of all. it was so cute. it'd be nice if there were more traits and animations for those traits.

everyone acts the same! i kind of like when things were glitchy because it added personality to the sims because they did random stuff they werent supposed to.
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    yep completely agree.
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    Add trait slots AND add more traits.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Unfortunately traits matter next to nothing in this game because emotions overrule them. Personally I'd love to have more, but at the end of the day, they are just words because they barely affect gameplay, so what's the point?
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    edited July 2016
    I think they really need to strengthen the traits they have. Some work really well, jealousy and kleptomaniac. But I can't figure out how mean, evil or insane does anything that different. What they need is a complete overhaul of the whims so they can go hand-in-hand with the traits. And less whims to buy things, whims that are all the same, to join/start groups (especially when it's supposed to be a loner sim).

Also, I'm wondering how long this thread has until it's moved to feedback. Which I'm convinced is a black hole, no brave guru dares to enter.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah I was playing with the negative traits in the Sims 3 and they are so much more powerful and useful. It made me sad how the Sims 4 mean, evil, and insane traits were programmed.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    JimedJimed Posts: 692 Member
    We actually have four trait slots...one of the slots is filled by the aspiration chosen in CAS. An extra slot would give us five...which is a good idea!
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    So what if we had 4 trait slots instead of the 3? Would that be better and give the Sims more personality?

I think they should add another trait slot and give the kids 2 trait slots (currently 1) and the teens 3! :)

It would be nice if we could tune the interface as well so we can add the entire list if we wanted to!
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    Artemis_DreamerArtemis_Dreamer Posts: 200 Member
    A fourth trait slot is a nice wish list item for the future. First, though, I'd like them to fix the existing traits, so they actually have a noticeable gameplay effect on our Sims.

Add a half-dozen or so more traits, toss in a few new aspirations to flesh out the system, and THEN we'll be ready for a fourth trait slot.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I'd rather they add more oomph to the traits before they add any more trait slots. Giving them more weight would have them matter more, and as others have stated, adding more slots right now wouldn't really change anything.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    LutefiskLutefisk Posts: 92 Member
    Adding my vote to improvement of the existing traits. There's no point to having 5 slots if the traits don't do anything.

Since it seems like they're not going to add many more traits (compared to Sims 3) I wish they would give the base game ones an overhaul.
  • Options
    PukingautotunePukingautotune Posts: 154 Member
    We need more personality based traits first, which I doubt will happen since they have been so frugal with traits
    tumblr_nz9zidvExq1s2nj6io1_250.gif
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2016
    Trait slots with different traits, not with what we've got to work with already.
  • Options
    MinecraftdSimmerMinecraftdSimmer Posts: 561 Member
    I do agree we definitely need more slots!

We also need more sorta normal or specific traits

Such as vegetarian, hydrophobic, workaholic, grumpy, etc.

But also it seems that now more than ever, emotions control the sims, not traits. So until that is fixed, it doesn't matter how many slots we have
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    My current sim has 12 traits, and his personality is no different than when he had 3, so I don't know if another slot would make much of a difference.

I agree. The only difference is now he has 10x more social interactions than when he had 3 traits. :joy:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    To me, they need to remove them all. Unless they actually fix the game to where they work right!
  • Options
    BatmanSimmerBatmanSimmer Posts: 248 Member
    All of the traits that weren't patched in need to be fixed. So many of them just do nothing. The emotion traits seemed like a good idea, but the way emotions work they honestly don't do much. And some traits, like clumsy, really do basically nothing.

Even though traits like dance machine can get annoying when sims are always bored, I like it because it's realistic and really affects sims. Jealous is also great because it is always affecting sims emotions. I wish klepto wasn't so tied into mischief, however it is another trait that adds so much.

So basically, I would love more traits but currently I don't see a point.
    Happy Simming!
  • Options
    maxsa13zmaxsa13z Posts: 21 Member
    I remember reading somewhere that Sims only had 3 trait slots because sims became too hectic and crazy. Are we playing the same game? Cause traits have no effect at all to sims personalities.