Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Interview with EA CEO Andrew Wilson at E3/EA Play

Comments

• Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    will wright has infected guy with his vision.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I have seen a TV on a fridge and a microwave and thought them to be a little out there and foolish.
  • Options
    UltraUltra Posts: 826 Member
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    So EA is going to make fridges now?

Base fridge: $800
    Fridge door: $60
    Fridge shelf: $30 each
    $40 for faster freezing.

:|

EA fridges do not include the cooling ability. They decided its better to spend time focusing new features such as fridge on wheels.

Update 7: Breaks have finally been added to wheels due to several incidences of fridges rolling across the room. EA can still not confirm or deny if a cooling feature will be added in a future update.

Update 64: EA are proud to announce that fridges have been updated to allow cooling. Now all foods kept in EA fridges will be kept fresher for longer. We know this was demanded by consumers for a long time now but we spend a long time on this update to get it exactly perfect. Your EA fridges will have two settings. Luke warm and absolutely freezing. We did not add any other temperatures as we wanted to focus all our time on getting these temperatures exactly right.

Update 65: The technical error where fridges started to cook food instead of freeze has been fixed.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I really hope he isn't hinting towards anything other than a spin-off app of The Sims or something.

What The Sims needs is to go back to its roots as life simulation (found in TS1/TS2), not continue regressing into some weird, uninspiring genre.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2016
    Yeah I saw one at an electronic show a while back - the thing is even programmed to order your groceries and fill itself up basically. That would be the day I link my fridge to my credit card and let it buy my groceries. pffftttt!!!! Never mind link to my pc or any of my games. I am still one who rather buy a real book so I own no kindles or other electronic e machine for book reading, My phone is just a phone. I don't want my phone making movies or playing games. I play games on super computers - true - a desktop though. Hate lappy's - no offense to people that like all this electronic gadgetry - and even though it was fun to attend the electronic shows now and then - it is not my bag - nor will a game like they seem to plan to make. SIGHHHHHHHHH> The world is going to implode from all this gadgetry at this rate - but the electric company will love you all that dare to tread for sure.....

Here's some of those:

http://www.thenational.ae/business/technology/welcome-to-the-fridge-that-orders-groceries-for-you

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/10708380/samsung-family-hub-fridge-mastercard-app-groceries-ces-2016

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50364798/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/lg-smart-fridge-spots-spoiled-food-orders-groceries/#.V2rWE6I9a4I

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3386204/Smarter-average-appliance-Samsung-reveals-Family-Hub-fridge-orders-food-plays-films-lets-INSIDE-remotely.html
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,032 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Here's the dialogue itself, minus a few off topic parts.

Interviewer: "...I've got an 8 year old daughter who can play Star Wars Battlefront for hours. She can also pull out my iPhone and play games on that for hours as well. How do you cater to both of audiences without cannibalizing one over the other?"

[Some dialogue not worth typing out]

CEO: "What you said was 'and', you didn't say 'or', so what we see is not that the mobile device is cannibalizing HD gaming, what we see is mobile devices enhancing and extending HD gaming and some people will play on a big screen only, some people will play on a mobile device only, some people will play on both. We are building for a future here we will be able to deliver great, interactive content on every device that you own [...] we're building for that future in games, where every device you own, your phone, your PC, your TV, your internet-enabled fridge, will deliver you some form of interactive entertainment, and we're building a world where players play across devices, across geographies, and across business models."

Interviewer: "So I can go to my fridge and pick up where I left off on my TV?"

CEO: "Well, think about a world where you're playing The Sims, and you are rewarded for having 6 liters of milk in the fridge. So when you get back in your game, your sims are fed because your fridge is full."

Interviewer: "So life becomes a game."

CEO: "Yeah. Discreet and indiscreet, permeates every aspect of our lives the same way digital music does today."

oprah-shakng-her-head.gif

Who the heck even has an interactive fridge? I've never even heard of them. Ours doesn't even have an ice dispenser.

Haven't you seen the commercials for the new Samsung fridges. You can use your phone to see what's in your fridge. Plus lots of other features. They cost around $5000-$6000. I've seen one at Home Depot.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I just want a normal fridge that maybe makes some ice cubes, gives you a cold drink of water, and lasts at least 10 years.
  • Options
    BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    What the strawberry frosting!!! Fridges are for food, not gaming! If I want to pig out, I don't want to go into my game and find all of my Sims dead with heart failure...The Sims and RL should remain as far away from each other as is possible and the world wants to ditch the idea of AI furniture before we forget how to think for ourselves and give up what little privacy and rights we currently have. The day that the Sims and RL become one will be the day I either stop playing all together or (if it's in another forty years) leap from a cliff in a bid to escape the kind of busy bodies that care how much milk I have in my fridge... What a weird, bizarre and completely mad idea this is, what's the point of even having options to click when you feed your sims if you can do it simply by buying a cow full of milk? Who wants that kind of responsibility where your sims don't get fed if you're lactose intolerant? My jaw is literally hanging on the floor.....goes away to hide in the closet...oh no wait! If I do that my Sims might realize I don't own three dozen pairs of Doc Martens and might have to spend the rest of their lives nekkid!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,032 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    Nintendo is doing the same thing with Pokemon Go. Incorporating a player's RL interaction into a game's virtual world. I highly doubt EA will be able to flush out a Sims game in our generation with mundane motive accomplishments with our RL appliances. I mean, raise your hand if you have a fridge that's capable of going online. Not many I bet.

What WILL happen is that the Sims 5 WILL be online. Guaranteed. In all honesty, they'd be silly not to. NEXON made a killing with their silly little dress-up scroll around avatar game.

Yeah I feel all those waiting for Sims 5 to hurry and get here are going to be disappointed.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I just want a normal fridge that maybe makes some ice cubes, gives you a cold drink of water, and lasts at least 10 years.

Got one that has lasted over 20. They made them properly in them there days! :)
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Here's the dialogue itself, minus a few off topic parts.

Interviewer: "...I've got an 8 year old daughter who can play Star Wars Battlefront for hours. She can also pull out my iPhone and play games on that for hours as well. How do you cater to both of audiences without cannibalizing one over the other?"

[Some dialogue not worth typing out]

CEO: "What you said was 'and', you didn't say 'or', so what we see is not that the mobile device is cannibalizing HD gaming, what we see is mobile devices enhancing and extending HD gaming and some people will play on a big screen only, some people will play on a mobile device only, some people will play on both. We are building for a future here we will be able to deliver great, interactive content on every device that you own [...] we're building for that future in games, where every device you own, your phone, your PC, your TV, your internet-enabled fridge, will deliver you some form of interactive entertainment, and we're building a world where players play across devices, across geographies, and across business models."

Interviewer: "So I can go to my fridge and pick up where I left off on my TV?"

CEO: "Well, think about a world where you're playing The Sims, and you are rewarded for having 6 liters of milk in the fridge. So when you get back in your game, your sims are fed because your fridge is full."

Interviewer: "So life becomes a game."

CEO: "Yeah. Discreet and indiscreet, permeates every aspect of our lives the same way digital music does today."

oprah-shakng-her-head.gif

Who the heck even has an interactive fridge? I've never even heard of them. Ours doesn't even have an ice dispenser.

Haven't you seen the commercials for the new Samsung fridges. You can use your phone to see what's in your fridge. Plus lots of other features. They cost around $5000-$6000. I've seen one at Home Depot.
    Hmm no, I haven't heard of them. Maybe they're US-only, I'm in the UK, but it's still weird I haven't heard them mentioned online.
  • Options
    Mchap353 wrote: »

Got one that has lasted over 20. They made them properly in them there days! :)

Agreed, they are sadly not made the same.

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    will wright has infected guy with his vision.

Then we could all be reality stars in our own little world.......So yea????......so not.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I don't really think "internet refrigerators" are going to last. I actually bought one without that capability over one that did because I can do everything it does on my phone- why would I go to the screen on the fridge to punch up a recipe? What and walk back and forth every time I need to check the ingredients? The only thing I could see that it did was you could display pictures of your kid or something but you know, so can a magnet. As far as ordering groceries goes (shrug) they've got a ways to go toward programming the thing and training people. What if I accidentally put the empty orange juice container where the milk normally sits- more milk delivered? Even trying to use barcodes... ehh, whatever. Anyway, yes EA wants the Sims to go across all platforms- no big surprise- but the full fridge in RL equals full sims in game stuff that guy is talking about is just pie in the sky. We'll be flying cars first.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    As if it isn't bad enough the fridge orders food for you, spots bad food, and to add to the insult of it's owners seems to monitor what you eat and periodically takes pictures of you going in the fridge. REALLY!!!! Well I guess you'll have one benefit - never having to grill the family over who ate the last piece of chocolate cake or what ever. The fridge will hold the proof and probably already has sent the info to facebook to boot!!! LOL.

One way to make a person stick to their diets - I guess. LOL. But Really science - shouldn't we be focusing real life on finding cures to diseases and such instead of self ridiculing and degrading fridges that sneak into all aspects of our lives? Is this what the future is coming too - maybe even Sims that watch us for a change next.... Beware if you have pools and keep an eye on all your rooms with doors.... is all I can say.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I listened to it and hated it. We will be followed around and spied on to see what we are doing so that we can continue our games on every device and - in the Sims rewarded with milk in our Fridge? Big Brother is here.

I already am worried about Windows 10 connecting my Windows 10 4G mobile phone and laptop already. Both can reach everything I have in OneDrive. Every time Window 10 updates it resets all the settings and you have to set them again. What if I lost my phone? You have to be really savvy to get your security tight.

Give me back my old trusty Nokia.
    I listened to it and hated it. We will be followed around and spied on to see what we are doing so that we can continue our games on every device and - in the Sims rewarded with milk in our Fridge? Big Brother is here.

I already am worried about Windows 10 connecting my Windows 10 4G mobile phone and laptop already. Both can reach everything I have in OneDrive. Every time Window 10 updates it resets all the settings and you have to set them again. What if I lost my phone? You have to be really savvy to get your security tight.

Give me back my old trusty Nokia.

go back to windows 7. I did it to, cause in windows 10 u also give them right to check ur content and files. Its written in the many MANY text when you accept the conditions.

Always stay old fashioned :) Something people should still learn to do.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    As if it isn't bad enough the fridge orders food for you, spots bad food, and to add to the insult of it's owners seems to monitor what you eat and periodically takes pictures of you going in the fridge. REALLY!!!! Well I guess you'll have one benefit - never having to grill the family over who ate the last piece of chocolate cake or what ever. The fridge will hold the proof and probably already has sent the info to facebook to boot!!! LOL.

One way to make a person stick to their diets - I guess. LOL. But Really science - shouldn't we be focusing real life on finding cures to diseases and such instead of self ridiculing and degrading fridges that sneak into all aspects of our lives? Is this what the future is coming too - maybe even Sims that watch us for a change next.... Beware if you have pools and keep an eye on all your rooms with doors.... is all I can say.

I can only say if this is what gaming is going to become I'm just glad that by the time it becomes an everyday feature for everyone I'll probably be drooling in a wheelchair and not care.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    hmm.. at the beginning he talks about social connection.. to share and to compete with others.. hmmm and about helping each other... and then the whole "milk thing" hmm I understand that he has some futuristic input here and some vision... what scares me is the whole competition thing.. we have enough of competition in our real lives and for me, personally, games should be more linked to relaxation.. not the competition again... and games should teach people more how to help out each other and not to be more and more competitive with each other... Don't get me wrong I do believe that competitive goes with achievements too.. but it also has a a dark side.. which leads to more hate and more selfish attitude.. I could see through CEO's vision of the future of gaming.. but his desire of competition is putting me off and makes me reluctant to support in the future EA's games.
    He also mentioned that "they listen to their players" hmm I would say that in case of sims 4 they started to listen to the players recently, which is a big improvement... and one more thing.. and this also is a message to CEO : not all people like to play together.. not all people want to be connected to others in the games, not all people enjoy competition, so if he really listens to players, then could he be so kind and put into the future games the option to change to the single player?
    Thank you.
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,167 Member
    Thank you EA CEO, but I'll stick to my normal fridge and play my normal games... There's really no reason to link The Sims and real life together...

Pokemon GO was mentioned here before, but the difference is that Pokemon GO seems to encourage the player to go outside which I think is a pretty good thing, while I don't see how EA's CEO's example can really help anyone... :|
  • Options
    SpiderBitesSpiderBites Posts: 19 New Member
    The world Is really coming to an end, no salvation shall prosper. lol.
  • Options
    I have a chips pig bowl (I collect pigs) that oinks if you stick your hand in it. I suppose I could stick that in the fridge and have the same effect for free without shelling out thousands.
  • Options
    The world Is really coming to an end, no salvation shall prosper. lol.

hahaha love it;)))
    00.jpg

Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    I have a chips pig bowl (I collect pigs) that oinks if you stick your hand in it. I suppose I could stick that in the fridge and have the same effect for free without shelling out thousands.

hahahaha whats about other things;))) it's like Santa frigging fridge;))) your sim played with toaster in the game and you open your fridge an you have a brand new toaster there;)))
    00.jpg

• Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    even mark zuckerberg is taking steps to make sure invasive stalking of his privacy and fridge's inner secrets are not violated by creepy ceo's.
  • Options
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    even mark zuckerberg is taking steps to make sure invasive stalking of his privacy and fridge's inner secrets are not violated by creepy ceo's.

ahahahhahahaahahah omg I miss "lol" option so much now;)))
    00.jpg