Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help me get into Sims 4 :)

Comments

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    lowering your expectations and reminding yourself that it was apparently and tragically built upon a scrapped online game called olympus helps when i play it. also, trying to not think of how awesome it could've been if ea had just taken what was best about the sims 2 and the sims 3 and made that game helps, too.

2 + 3 = 5 :)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Hi, have you ever tried playing Pinstar1161's Legacy Challenge? It has its own set of "rules" and I found it changed my play style when I first tried it out in Sims2. I was absolutely elated when I saw he'd created a version for Sims4. You can find his rules here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/39862/the-legacy-challenge-rules/p1 He's got his own website, too. You just have to look up Sims4 Legacy Challenge to find it.

Basically, you play until the tenth generation child is born. I've discovered so much about the game playing this way and have had a great many "firsts". Yes, it can get a tad boring, from time to time, but I have found that something will generally happen in my game that prompts me to want to continue playing.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I've finally come to the place where I can play this game for a while. The new CAS patch and some of the DLC has made it a bit more playable. The main reason is that I no longer try to get attached to my Sims and their stories. I accept them for what they are, shallow and silly, and I've adjusted my stories to reflect it.

Due to bugs...the list of ongoing ones and the new ones I seem to get after each new patch I don't get attached to their stories because I know I'll probably have to start a new game after each major patch. I don't do any major building because of the same reason and know I might have to abandon the town I've done over.

When one of my Sims goes to work and has to be reintroduced to a coworker, who was a good friend the day before, I tell myself that the Sim just had a little too much "juice" at the pool party the night before and is a little hung over. When I look at a relationship panel and see my married Sim now has a new romantic interest I play into the soap opera/reality show that this game has turned into. I really don't take anything about this game seriously any more because it's just not possible.

When my doctor Sim gives a patient a treatment and they jump off the table I tell myself they got a shock when the doctor told them something. When my Sim gets a phone call to meet for a date and the Sim who called has disappeared I turn them into a heartless flirt.

When I've bought new DLC I tell myself that I've spent money on sillier things and then finally I do realize that maybe, just maybe they don't need my money after all because I just have to make up too many stories to cover the bugs.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    My friend if you did not get into the game then don't force yourself. It is not your cup of tea!

We cannot do anything to convince you.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Hi OP, in my opinion, unless you liked the game from the start (I didn't) there's only one way: buy the two EP's. I've enjoyed the game for the second time this afternoon now, because finally there are things to do I like doing. I have no idea if it will last and I don't really care, but for now I'm having fun.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LaynielouxuLaynielouxu Posts: 443 Member
    I dont like the sims 4 but when I watch you tube lets plays they always give me ideas for my own game so maybe try that :smiley:
  • Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    Just keep in mind that The Sims 4 is NOT Sims 1, Sims 2, or Sims 3. It's an entirely different game, so just view it as such, and you'll have fun.

And Get Together is amazing, get it if you want your Sims to drink root beer (or be in clubs, but that root beer though.)
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    My friend if you did not get into the game then don't force yourself. It is not your cup of tea!

We cannot do anything to convince you.

Well to be fair, I didn't exactly give the game a fair chance when I first played it. I played it with a negative mindset. And I played a rushed game, rushed to make my sim in CAS, made a sim that slept around etc (I've never been one to play those kind of stories.) and I cheated, which i never do in any other sim game. So Ill be fair to the game and say I didn't give it a fair chance.

Anywho, im starting my game up shortly. Will be taking my time in CAS :)
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited June 2016
    yes you can put hair in them. I kind of like them without hair, but it would be up to you
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Like others, Get Together is my favourite EP so far. It's got a fantastic club system and you can make kids sleepover clubs, gardening clubs, clubbing clubs lol, all sorts. I love Windenburg and some of the characters in it are great.

I would just mention to be wary of playing rotationally for a while (if you like to do that) as it brings about relationship losses, added extra-martial affairs etc. And if you don't want to lose any of the sims who are in the game but not in the world, take them out of the bin and put them into a house before they get culled.

You may actually enjoy the game somewhat now, I hated it at first but it has improved. It's still got a long way to go but it is definitely playable now, more so than before - unless you like to play in rotation, in which case you are doomed :D
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    @Sc3niX Definitely best to approach it with some time so you can play around with different aspects and try different things. While even I admit some it lacks in places such as family play, there are still aspects there. For example, parents can help kids with homework, even teach them how to swim. Kids have some playground equipment they can play on, and when it comes to the spaceship or pirate ship, older sims can act as sea monsters or space monsters. That's just examples and this one aspect will be getting a small boost with the upcoming Kids Stuff Pack. I can't say if I can recommend or not as we don't know many details yet.

Also on that note, as you have outdoor retreat, the majority of activities there can be done by anyone. Got a couple of shots here of a previous family of mine playing horseshoes and fishing.

Et5g335.png

uzN8ubw.png

hqil6jQ.png

Didn't know about the card table back then so that one wasn't added.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    Oh wow, Aliens got brought in quicker than expected :D would you guys mind posting a picture of an alien for me? I'm at work :( I would just like so see how they look. Sims 3 aliens were really creepy, still cool looking though :)

I love the Aliens in this game. I love that they have special interactions and that they can either go around as their natural selves, or they can be disguised as a regular Sim. Here are a few that I've had in my game

LzcyRqc.png

Ez80RSn.png

XjpYO08.png

Baby aliens also get a special bassinet and birth certificate if you have the baby at the hospital(if you have GTW)

Jabdpsl.png

Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    Get Together is my personal favorite out of the two game packs. Since it's on sale for cheap at Origin, now would be the time if you actually want it.
    What I like about Sims 4 is that I can choose and work on multiple Aspirations (like Lifetime Wishes in Sims 3) at once. My sims in my current game are working on the Master Chef Aspiration, Computer Whiz, Soulmate Aspiration, Friend of the World (where you have as many friends as possible) and their Leader of the Pack aspiration (which comes with Get Together)

Why I like Get Together: It honestly makes it easier to keep in touch and make new friends. I start a new social group and pick my sim's favorite friends to be a part of it. With one singular click of a button they suddenly appear on the lot, no matter which lot I happen to be on. Or, if I have a specific lot chosen to hang out on, I'm transported there. It's extremely helpful for keeping your favorite sims together. I know some people make a social group for extended family after their second generation moves out, that works. I also just love Windenburg and all the things that come with Get Together.

Get Together is honestly what made me really love Sims 4
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @Sc3niX When TS4 first came out, I wasn't a fan of it either. But it's grown on me so much over time & I really enjoy it. I just had to get used to it, since it so different than the previous versions.
    I would recommend get together. I love the club atmosphere...you can practically make any club you want, dress them how you want, choose the activities you want. I made an art club called 'pixel perfect' and basically the club members come to my home and they paint. I make money off of the paintings they create. It's a quick & huge money maker!
    As previously mentioned, the secret worlds are great! I always have my Sims take a tent and cooler for food, when we travel to one of those. I make all of these locations vacation spots for my outdoor Sims (except Sixam).

But I guess it really comes down to your play style and how you like to play, as to what aspects of the game you'll find appealing. I am a family player, which tends to be lacking a bit, but has gotten much better. With restaurants, I like to take my families out to dinner. I get creative and do family reunions at Granite Falls. I like to throw parties. I also like to add a little bit of drama in my game, so I give my Sims traits such as jealous or kleptomaniac just to keep things 'interesting'.

• Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    @Modsey I'm just starting to use the clubs at the moment and actually not for family play, but for groups such as classes (dance, art, etc. not social classes) and therapy groups. I can see why many quite enjoy it as you can change any aspect of a club for whatever the situation. The therapy group I have, for example, usually meet at library so stuff like greetings, being friendly and reading are on the list of activities. Change of venue, change of activities and BOOM! Day at the spa. :)

@Sc3niX You can see how the clubs can be used in a lot of situations. And again, explore those with time on your hands and a moodlet of inspiration. :)
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    AshlieBoomAshlieBoom Posts: 143 Member
    Get together is definitely worth buying, it adds a lot more to the game, and windenburg is beautiful! I have just noticed that it is also currently half price on origin, so a great time to purchase, too :) Have fun! <3
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Hi Guys

I played Sims 4 just when it was released basically.
    I wasn't a fan, rather I hated the game due to all the content that wasn't there like create-a-stlye. Toddlers etc.
    I've been checking the game out since yesterday, thought I would give it another chance.
    I purchased all the game packs and expansions except for "get together".
    Would you recommend buying get together?

I miss playing sims a lot, I loved Sims 1,2 and 3. But 3 was built and a plum engine so it lags even on a strong pc.

So what can you tell me to get me into the game and to have an open mind about the game?

My advice is.. do not come back:)))) wait 1, 2 years more and then try again:)) and see how you will like it then:)))
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    Hmm will definitely look into get together.

Here's my first serious sim :)
    Ge9Ckiz.png?1

I still think I'm not utilizing the CAS correctly. It took me 40min to sculpt her and 20min to style her.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @Sc3niX The new CAS definitely takes practice to get the hang of, but she looks great :) If you want nudges to practice, try the pinned 33-Day CAS Challenge!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Ge9Ckiz.png?1

I still think I'm not utilizing the CAS correctly. It took me 40min to sculpt her and 20min to style her.
    She looks lovely. You seem to have got a lot of facial shaping that I could never get. Or are you using cc? Do you have a side view pic?
  • Options
    TechToTravisTechToTravis Posts: 133 Member

Ge9Ckiz.png?1

She looks beautiful. :O
  • Options
    @Sc3niX The new CAS definitely takes practice to get the hang of, but she looks great :) If you want nudges to practice, try the pinned 33-Day CAS Challenge!

Ill definitely try that.

Ge9Ckiz.png?1

She looks lovely. You seem to have got a lot of facial shaping that I could never get. Or are you using cc? Do you have a side view pic?

No. No cc :)
    etbRL20.png?1
    heres a side view :)

Ge9Ckiz.png?1

She looks beautiful. :O

Thank you :open_mouth:

Shes starting off in the medical career until one day she can build her own restaurant. Is there already made restaurants that I can purchase?
  • Options
    Would you mind sharing her in the gallery? I would love to download her if you are happy to do that, I think you've done a great job.
  • Options
    TechToTravisTechToTravis Posts: 133 Member
    So.. how's playing The Sims 4? did you enjoy it? :)
  • Options
    Would you mind sharing her in the gallery? I would love to download her if you are happy to do that, I think you've done a great job.

I think I did upload her to the gallery. Not sure how to link her here though :)
    So.. how's playing The Sims 4? did you enjoy it? :)

I am enjoying it to be honest. I'm enjoying it enough to invest in get together and maybe a stuff pack. (im thinking the kitchen one.)