Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why not toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    GentleSimmer1990GentleSimmer1990 Posts: 125 Member
    edited June 2016
    Hi keyendee!

Me and many others feel represented in The Sims franchise very well. And you are absolutely right with what you've just said as I think that you delineated why young adults might be the most enjoyable life stage for the majority of those who play the game, and why maybe toddlers are seen as controversial as it shows here.

However, what could be important to you, a feature like toddlers or something else, won't be important for everybody. ^^

Simmers aren't a homogeneous group, even less now so I think you can't expect them to just deal with toddlers because in your vision of the game they seem to be a needed feature.

I'd like to add: It's very interesting to read your guys vision of the game. Simmers indeed are all different!
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    @Erpe Yes the reason why toddlers where omitted was because they where not intended to be part of Olympus as kids where supposed to be omitted along with teens and elders. It was easy for them to clone teens and elders out of adults, the only intended life stage and also easy to clone YAs out of adults so really the only life stage they had time to make in that short space of time was kids.
    This doesn't make any sense to me. So could you give me a link to a place where EA or the developers have confirmed it?
    Now had TS4 been a direct sequel to TS3 things would have been different but you never know, maybe TS5 could be a sequel to TS3 instead and might include all life stages again and maybe even some new ones?
    I believe that TS5 again will include all life stages (just as TS4 originally was planned to have them until the developers got into time trouble). But don't believe that EA will just make TS5 as a "new" TS3 either because this is extremely unlikely to happen. The reasons is:
    1. TS2 wasn't just a slightly modified TS1 just with a little better graphics.
    2. TS3 wasn't just a slightly modified TS1 or TS2 just with a few small improvements.
    3. TS4 wasn't just a slightly improved TS1, TS2 or TS3. Once again it was a completely new game with much more focus on CAS and buildmode and with less focus on babies, toddlers, children and teens. (It also contained attempts to include multitasking and completely new emotions).

So to me it is obvious that EA demands that the developers develop each new Sims game to be very different from all the previous ones. (I don't believe that EA even allows the developers to start making a new Sims game for real until negotiations between EA and the developers has resulted in an agreement about the main new theme for the new game.)

I can't guess what the new main theme will be for TS5 (assuming that EA wants to make it). But I am sure that EA once more only will allow it to be developed if it is made with a completely new game engine and with a completely new theme (or maybe themes). Actually the reasons that I wanted a new sub-forum to discuss future Sims games was that I wanted more simmers to consider which possibilities there is for such themes ;)

An idea could be to improve the online possibilities in TS5 to make this the main new theme. But I just doubt that EA will do it unless we get a faster internet before the Sims 5 will be released because otherwise it wouldn't be possible without simplifying the game too much and I still don't believe that EA wants that.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited June 2016
    I do hope they start from scratch with TS5 then perhaps we might have all the other things we are missing rather than just toddlers. The truth is the developers are working to a schedule and have probably altered it several times to accommodate some of the other complaints at release. Hard to accept for some perhaps toddlers did not make the priority list and the company decided on swimming pools and restaurants first. I believe it takes a lot of work making a life stage. As for them ever being included I personally don't believe they will be. They were deliberately left out which is understandable when the company only had a limited time to create TS4 from a scrapped MMO project.
    I repeat this is my personal opinion. If any one has an issue with that they are welcome to pm me rather than derail this thread
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    AshlieBoomAshlieBoom Posts: 143 Member
    I mean, I think i've come to the conclusion that lots of features of the sims 4 are taking a while to be added because the creators want the quality to be there. I think the sims 4 is a beautiful game and I love that our newest update modernises our games to a point previously unreached.
    I think if toddlers come, they will want them to be better than ever, hence the frustrating wait.
    It's something I miss terribly about the game but they're probably worth waiting for. Plus this new Game Pack is going to keep me occupied for a little while!
    Such exciting things to come.
    I am a massive fan of cute things, so for me, pets and toddlers is the dream!

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I do hope they start from scratch with TS5 then perhaps we might have all the other things we are missing rather than just toddlers. The truth is the developers are working to a schedule and have probably altered it several times to accommodate some of the other complaints at release. Hard to accept for some perhaps toddlers did not make the priority list and the company decided on swimming pools and restaurants first. I believe it takes a lot of work making a life stage. As for them ever being included I personally don't believe they will be. They were deliberately left out which is understandable when the company only had a limited time to create TS4 from a scrapped MMO project.
    I repeat this is my personal opinion. If any one has an issue with that they are welcome to pm me rather than derail this thread
    I think that people should consider the relationship between EA and the developers more before blaming the developers:
    1. The developers are employed in Maxis which is owned by EA. They are experts in making games. But I don't believe that any of them also are educated in marketing. So they probably know very little about how to market games so the games can obtain high sales numbers.
    2. EA was originally only a publishing company who published games for other game developers. EA's top employees are still not experts in making games. But they are a mixture of professional business men and experts in marketing of games.
    3. The only reason why EA started to buy other game companies was that those other game companies was established and run be experts in game developments. Therefore the other game companies didn't focus enough on business and marketing and they usually used way too much money on developing games which often only sold poorly. So those other game companies struggled to survive while EA didn't.

Too many people in this forum seem to forget and ignore this and think that EA now just let its game developers just make the games as they want and that EA only sell the games and doesn't care about the content in the games. But then EA would lose a lot of money because the game developers would just make games for fun and not care much about whether the games would sell or not. So EA wouldn't have been able to earn more money than all other game companies and have been able to usually buy 5 to 10 new game companies every year since 1990.

Therefore I am quite sure that EA controls its game developers many times more than people here seem to assume. EA's marketing experts make market investigations and estimate which sales numbers different types of games can expect. So I am sure that EA uses that information to tell the game developers which games they should make and that EA won't accept propositions from game developers to make their games otherwise. EA will of course consider all propositions from the game developers. But unless EA's marketing experts approve then the propositions from game developers won't be accepted at all.

So no - Maxis can't give us toddlers unless EA like the idea enough to pay for the development of toddlers - and everything point in the direction that EA doesn't believe that a toddler expansion will sell well enough to be worth it. So alas I still believe that people can forget about toddlers for TS4 and instead will have to wait for TS5 to get them.
  • Options
    Songwolf666Songwolf666 Posts: 141 Member
    Why is it such a crime to some, that people want toddlers? Are people only saying they don't want toddlers because they are sick of people mentioning them? I'm sick of people coming into toddler posts just to tell everyone they don't want toddlers.

I think a lot of it is that people understand that other simmers want toddlers but at tried over every update or EP/GP being followed by a 'this isn't what we wanted, we wanted toddlers' threads. I don't want them personally, but I understand lots of people do. Yes, I think its silly that Maxis hasn't put them in yet, given the amount of players that want them. Yes, I understand the pain of wanting something in the game and it not being there. But, I am very tired of the response to nearly every change in the game being threads screaming for blood because it wasn't Toddlers (don't say they don't scream for blood - check any post by the Sims on Facebook. Seriously.)

I hope that Maxis will put them in, just so the topic can finally be set to rest. I think generally, people both For and Against Toddlers will be happier when the topic is finally faced put to rest and we can all hunt for something else to raise out pitchforks and torches to complain about. :D
    EA Account: SunReiShin
  • Options
    Maylee2Maylee2 Posts: 179 Member
    Don't need them; don't want them.

Good for you! Really! Let's move on then!
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It's not a crime to want toddlers, the same way it's not a crime to be indifferent to them. (Or indeed not want them at all)

But it is frustrating for every single bit of new content that is released, even when it's a feature people expressed a want for like restaurants; it's ripped apart by the toddler train.

The negativity on this board is overbearing. I actually wish there would be a toddler sub forum so all the endless threads can be contained in one place.

I understand people want toddlers, I wouldn't mind them myself but there are things I would like more to be honest.

Toddlers are high in demand, that much is clear. But the routine of every time a patch is released and Lo and behold no toddlers, this forum goes crazy. Even though there has never been any hint they were going to be in the patch? I don't understand it.

And if the content of the new patch doesn't appeal to someone that's ok; all people are different and have different expectations of the game. For some toddlers should come next no matter what, others may want seasons, pets etc.

There will be a good reason why they have added transgender sims in and why shouldn't they appeal too players in that community? It's the 21st century and as a life simulator players should be able to create a sim that is an honest reflection of themselves if they wanted to. And it can only be a positive thing that people that want to include that can do. For those that don't want to, they can carry on as normal.

For posters to call it disgusting, wrong, inappropriate, weird, that's sad and insulting. Just because you may not want these features there will be people that will and why shouldn't they be represented?

• Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    In the end, the problem is always the same: lack of comunication from EA/Maxis: since is almost two years that people are asking for toddlers, at least some kind of "we are working on it", a clear "yes/no" would stop much of the negativity: instead we hear nothing but "we are listening to you, funz!!11!!1!!" and since nothing is being confirmed/denied, at every mayor patch, of course family players raise their hope: we never got to know a clear answer!!!

Toddler treads and posters will always be around at least until some concrete news will be out, positive or negative.
  • Options
    GentleSimmer1990GentleSimmer1990 Posts: 125 Member
    edited June 2016
    Hi WillowG145!

I am afraid that the negativity wouldn't stop if they told people that toddlers won't come back in Sims 4.

Furthermore it wouldn't be fair towards players who don't care for toddlers at all, instead they'd like to know information about their feature of choice. I hope this makes sense.

We are all in the same boat =).
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Bettyboop55 Yes I agree with your points fully! :smiley:

If there is a TS5, hopefully they will start from scratch rather than just recycle another game so then everything can be on 'schedule' so nothing gets left out and new stuff can still be added.

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    It's not a crime to want toddlers, the same way it's not a crime to be indifferent to them. (Or indeed not want them at all)

But it is frustrating for every single bit of new content that is released, even when it's a feature people expressed a want for like restaurants; it's ripped apart by the toddler train.

The negativity on this board is overbearing. I actually wish there would be a toddler sub forum so all the endless threads can be contained in one place.

I understand people want toddlers, I wouldn't mind them myself but there are things I would like more to be honest.

Toddlers are high in demand, that much is clear. But the routine of every time a patch is released and Lo and behold no toddlers, this forum goes crazy. Even though there has never been any hint they were going to be in the patch? I don't understand it.

And if the content of the new patch doesn't appeal to someone that's ok; all people are different and have different expectations of the game. For some toddlers should come next no matter what, others may want seasons, pets etc.

There will be a good reason why they have added transgender sims in and why shouldn't they appeal too players in that community? It's the 21st century and as a life simulator players should be able to create a sim that is an honest reflection of themselves if they wanted to. And it can only be a positive thing that people that want to include that can do. For those that don't want to, they can carry on as normal.

For posters to call it disgusting, wrong, inappropriate, weird, that's sad and insulting. Just because you may not want these features there will be people that will and why shouldn't they be represented?

*speaking generally here*

I really don't like this situation either. What bothers me is this constant grouping of individuals who may want toddlers but who don't have any other simularities are labelled a 'toddler train' so then when one person who has nothing to do with my desire for toddlers saying something I don't agree with then gets thrown at me as someone who wants toddlers later. Do you see what I mean?

There is no such thing as a 'group' of people who want toddlers acting in the same way. It's all artificial grouping and ends up causing hurt because someone will say 'you toddler people are plum' based on one plum who didn't behave well.

There is zero excuse for hate speech. I absolutely support this patch's optional features for my fellow simmers who will enjoy it. As far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with toddler development.

All I want is the freedom to play as I enjoy too. I don't think that's too much to ask.

If people get tired of toddler requests you can ignore those comments/people/threads. That's all in your power. They don't say it to bother other people-it's to try to get a game they love!
  • Options
    @Goldbear86 Excellent points! :smiley:

I do feel that it is a shame though, that ever every announcement there will always be 'why are they not giving us toddlers?' even when the content announced can be quite small anyway. This will go on for a long time until toddlers are added, which probably wont be until next year at the earliest now
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    @Erpe So no - Maxis can't give us toddlers unless EA like the idea enough to pay for the development of toddlers - and everything point in the direction that EA doesn't believe that a toddler expansion will sell well enough to be worth it. So alas I still believe that people can forget about toddlers for TS4 and instead will have to wait for TS5 to get them.

All they have to do is visit the forums and i think they could see forthemselves that Toddlers would sell
    Just go through the last two years of posts and the dollar signs should be spinning in their eyes

So it comes back to either they are working on it or they're not, either way they wont be telling us so we will continue to speculate,grovel,plead, beg and basically bore all those who are fed up with toddler threads to death....sorry about that but we pro toddler crowd are stubborn
    I personally will continue to bang my rattle and bury my head in the sand while having a tantrum :)
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    I think that people should consider the relationship between EA and the developers more before blaming the developers:
    1. The developers are employed in Maxis which is owned by EA. They are experts in making games. But I don't believe that any of them also are educated in marketing. So they probably know very little about how to market games so the games can obtain high sales numbers.
    2. EA was originally only a publishing company who published games for other game developers. EA's top employees are still not experts in making games. But they are a mixture of professional business men and experts in marketing of games.
    3. The only reason why EA started to buy other game companies was that those other game companies was established and run be experts in game developments. Therefore the other game companies didn't focus enough on business and marketing and they usually used way too much money on developing games which often only sold poorly. So those other game companies struggled to survive while EA didn't.

Too many people in this forum seem to forget and ignore this and think that EA now just let its game developers just make the games as they want and that EA only sell the games and doesn't care about the content in the games. But then EA would lose a lot of money because the game developers would just make games for fun and not care much about whether the games would sell or not. So EA wouldn't have been able to earn more money than all other game companies and have been able to usually buy 5 to 10 new game companies every year since 1990.

Therefore I am quite sure that EA controls its game developers many times more than people here seem to assume. EA's marketing experts make market investigations and estimate which sales numbers different types of games can expect. So I am sure that EA uses that information to tell the game developers which games they should make and that EA won't accept propositions from game developers to make their games otherwise. EA will of course consider all propositions from the game developers. But unless EA's marketing experts approve then the propositions from game developers won't be accepted at all.

So no - Maxis can't give us toddlers unless EA like the idea enough to pay for the development of toddlers - and everything point in the direction that EA doesn't believe that a toddler expansion will sell well enough to be worth it. So alas I still believe that people can forget about toddlers for TS4 and instead will have to wait for TS5 to get them.

My intent was not to push the blame on the developers. As you say they are only employees. However somebody senior somewhere has to be in charge of the scheduling and must have made the decision not to include toddlers at release. If indeed that is what happened.

No large reputable company would use their shop floor employees to advertise and market their products. Look what happened with the original Dine Out trailer, only 15 seconds long but seriously hyped up here and on social media. No I did not forget the part forum members played in that hype.

As for toddlers I don't think any reasonable person would deny people who want them from having them in game. The lack of communication on that score is terrible. Worrying about how the situation came about seems pointless to me and that includes apportioning blame. What matters surely is getting a straight answer to the question from EA AND getting acceptance amongst forum members that people have the right to have differing opinions on the subject. Some recognition of other alienated groups would be good as well (builders and other creatives). Then perhaps we can go back to being one global community regardless of what iteration we play.

I apologise for the bolding. My eyesight is poor but I did manage to edit it out :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    I agree @sparkfairy1, you do have the right to have the freedom to play you want to absolutely.

And don't get me wrong, it is good that there is passion there for toddlers.

But I don't think it has to be on every thread. I don't come here very often now. When I do, it's the same old. At least one thread complaining of lack of toddlers, then people respond and a bun fight usually follows.

I think people have the right to be disappointed if the patch doesn't meet their expectations but being realistic did anyone expect toddlers with this patch? I didn't. And I wish I could say I expect them next patch or in time for the children's pack but I don't.

I know the ignore function is there. Equally though not everything has to be turned into about toddlers.

It sometimes appears that EA cannot do right for doing wrong; we get things we want I.e restaurants, better lighting, carpet re colours, new things like the spa pack and all that usually happens is a wave of negativity because it's not toddlers. It doesn't matter how good the new content is.

It feels like Groundhog Day at times.

I genuinely do wish there was a toddler forum.

I mean I wouldn't mind toddlers back. But honestly? I want seasons more. I miss that more than anything.

And sadly @king_of_simcity7 this will continue to go on and on. Even if we were told toddlers were off the table the forum would explode.

Sometimes it just feels like if you like the sims 4 you are in a minority. And I don't think it's perfect by any stretch!

• Options
    @Goldbear86 Good points again :smile:

I have thought that the devs have made some very small steps towards improvements even if some of those improvements are not always what is being asked for but it could be a lot worse. I mean imagine of they decided to stop production of TS4 altogether? Not only would the game still lack toddlers but there would be no cars, no Pets and no Seasons.

The game seems to be far from perfect, but at the same time it is far from the 'bare bones' base game from September 2014.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @Goldbear86 but yet again it's putting people who want toddlers in an artificial group. Quite often what happens around here is that it's not even toddler fans who mention it-someone says 'hang on the toddler people will arrive in a minute' and then kicks off an argument.

You are entitled to see other things as priority for how you like to pay. Same way I am :)

By suggesting a 'toddler forum' it's comes across that just because it's a popular theme that those wanting it should be shut out of the general forum like there is something wrong with it. I'm aware you may not intend it to come across that way but that's how it seems.

If someone wanting toddlers annoys you then just ignore their comments/threads/people who act out. You don't need to judge everyone that wants toddlers by the conduct of people who don't behave themselves-there are plenty of people who want toddlers from those who like the game all through to those who hate it but who behave perfectly sensibly.
  • Options
    Thanks.
    I don't even want to think about that @king_of_simcity7! Lol

I like the direction the game has gone. I admit when I play the sims 2 I do think if is how the sims 4 toddlers would be I would enjoy it. (Would hate it if they were more similar to the sims 3 toddlers) as mines always got saddled with bad traits!

I don't think the game is perfect. I want seasons, I would like pets. I want more careers, more traits, more activities for children and teens. Will we get it? I don't know. I wouldn't want the game to end as it is now. I'm not ready to move on to the sims 5. Because even if it does appear it will be different in its own way.

No matter what the sims 4 is evolving in its own way. Same as the sims 3 did.
  • Options
    @Goldbear86 Fair reply :smile:

As much as I do want to see a TS5, I do not want it to come out yet, I want it to come out when it is ready.

There is at least another three years of TS4 left so there is still enough time for new content to come out to help evolve the game
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @sparkfairy1 I'm not trying to shut anyone out of the forum not am I labelling anyone. I am simply stating that we get told we are getting x new content and some not all turn it into something completely different, lack of toddlers.

It's all over the board!

I think a toddler forum would be good simply because those that want to talk about it can do, those that want to debate about it can do. Those that simply want to talk about other things can do. Personally I don't think having to hide sections of the board because of negativity is very inclusive as a community.

I usually do ignore the toddler threads. As I said I don't come here that often now as I'm tired of it. But some of the remarks were rather personal and as I said before quite insulting to people who may be transgender.
    That's what made me write my post.

I don't think all people who want toddlers are like this. And as I said I'm not against toddlers. I'm just not bouncing off the walls to get them. I said before I accept people are. It's good people are passionate but there is a bigger picture.
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    edited June 2016
    Don't need them; don't want them.
    They won't add much to the game so I don't care for them either. I know they'll most likely return because of all the demands for them.