Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Religion/Spirituality in Sims 4

StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
edited September 2016 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
So I PM'd Guru Drake and she gave me the A-Ok that this thread is possible in the Ideas Corner. Please all participants in this thread be respectful! Any aggressive speech just ignore and move on. Try not to lace any words with sarcasm. Please be respectful. I can understand some simmers not wanting this. But today's update had me thinking if this was possible in my Sims game as well. I believe it can be possible if it's done right and as well as if it's in a way optional.

> There is a tl;dr/summary of the first 9 pages here at the bottom I've written up, for those wanting to see what's been discussed: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/888914/religion-spirituality-in-sims-4#latest <

A lot of discussion today made me wonder if it's possible to implement religion and/or spirituality in The Sims 4. I know from reviews and let's plays it was a feature in TSM.

http://thesimsmedieval.wikia.com/wiki/Religion

Meditation and yoga was also a part of some games.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Meditation
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Yoga

In TS2 I tried to create my place of worship, so I tried to use a podium (it was a career reward from the business career, a podium and other sims could listen) but I dont believe it was possible to do so because the career object wasn't available in a community lot. Simmers already make churches in the gallery so providing certain actions/interactions they could implement it in the game somehow.

I can see it working if specific objects or interactions allows your to play out your spirituality. A podium to speak from, a mat to meditate on etc. Im not very familiar with various religions so I can't think of many other things that people use for their worship. There are a lot of religions and they are varied, so of course it would have to be very generalized, but I think at least it could be discussed if its possible and how the game would go about it.

Not just specific religions, but anyone on ideas how to implement religion or spirituality in game please comment.
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
Post edited by StrawberryYogurt on

Comments

• Options
    GozeppelinGozeppelin Posts: 96 Member
    Would it be similar to a large-scale club mechanic? Or something skin to the social cliques of the Sims 3 University Life?
  • Options
    Gozeppelin wrote: »
    Would it be similar to a large-scale club mechanic? Or something skin to the social cliques of the Sims 3 University Life?

I have no clue. I imagine it being an action/object your sim can participate in/use and others too, so I suppose how groups/clubs work. I havent played Sims 3 Uni so im unsure how that worked. I assume certain cliques had certain clothes/personality/interests?

• Options
    Sort of. More like they had associated activities and recognition ranking with ingame rewards. However, spirituality is something that's more somber and lends itself less to the general quirkiness of the aforementioned systems. I imagine existing ingame mechanics like phonecalls, social events, and moodlets would make a good entry point.
  • Options
    Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    As long as the religious system can be shut off in the options I don't mind. It's not really something I can see EA adding to the game, but I don't think it's anyone's place to say it can't be discussed at all. Sims has always been sort of a parody of real life, so if it is added, I hope there's at least one goofy region. Something like worshiping the cow plant, gnomes, or freezer bunny... :lol:
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Options
    Sort of. More like they had associated activities and recognition ranking with ingame rewards. However, spirituality is something that's more somber and lends itself less to the general quirkiness of the aforementioned systems. I imagine existing ingame mechanics like phonecalls, social events, and moodlets would make a good entry point.

Ingame rewards sounds fun. Possibly with a mediation skill you could teleport like in past games.

I can see something like meditation giving your sims either a focused or energized moodlet. Social events would have to be pretty generic, called like a Gathering Together? Where they perform a certain task together. Whether praying, meditation etc.

"...There is also a chance to get a Confident moodlet, because the Sim is getting fitter by performing many Yoga poses. Doing the Mind Concentrating routine will get the Sim Focused, which allows them to build the Wellness skill faster. These are the three routines:
    Brain Boosting: This will give Sims an Inspired moodlet for 8 hours.
    Mind Concentrating: This will give Sims a Focused moodlet for 8 hours.
    Energy Centering: This will give Sims an Energized moodlet for 8 hours."

• Options
    Nikoa wrote: »
    As long as the religious system can be shut off in the options I don't mind. It's not really something I can see EA adding to the game, but I don't think it's anyone's place to say it can't be discussed at all. Sims has always been sort of a parody of real life, so if it is added, I hope there's at least one goofy region. Something like worshiping the cow plant, gnomes, or freezer bunny... :lol:

Even to me it seems impossible but maybe someone will be creative enough to find a way that it'll work. Yeah, and optional as well!

I would love a cow plant one! I can see it now, cow plant costumes, cow plant ceremonies, more cow plant discussions, cow plant shrines...like that grilled cheese aspiration.

That was actually in the sims 2 DS. There was the Prime Heifer. http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Prime_Heifer

If you don't offer gourds to the Prime Heifer a mummy would start taking over the minds of sims until you do so.

• Options
    Aflutter wrote: »
    I loved the way that they implemented religion in TSM. For anyone who didn't play and doesn't want to read the wiki, they had two competing religions - Jacoban and Peteran. Jacoban was the more strict sect that was kind of scary and the Peteran religion was the kinder, gentler sect. Even the aesthetics were distinct. I even loved the whole mythology and worshiping the Watcher, which I thought was funny. If they bring back religion, I hope they use the ones from TSM. I've actually already implemented religion in my own game by creating a Jacoban club and once I make the Peteran club, they are going to be enemies.

Wow, that's awesome. I've never played it but watching Let's Plays I thought it was really cool and clever how they added it in game.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I'd rather shy away from ingame rewards to be honest and have things be grounded and respectful of their origins. The main appeal of religion and spirituality in of itself is roleplay/storytelling.

Fallout 4 has an obscure example of this in the form of a small chapel in DIamond City. Whenever you go in and sit down, you get a message the displays "You feel a quiet sense of reflection." This I think, would translate well into a happy moodlet, or as a means of removing negative emotions like anger or sadness.
  • Options
    I'd rather shy away from ingame rewards to be honest and have things grounded and respectful of their origins.

Hmm, that's true.
    Fallout 4 has an obscure example of this in the form of a small chapel in Diamond City. Whenever you go in and sit down, you get a message the displays "You feel a quiet sense of reflection." This I think, would translate well into a happy moodlet, or as a means of removing negative emotions like anger or sadness.

That sounds cool. I wonder if a secret location could be utilized that way as well, an area giving off that moodlet.

• Options
    Found a page on the wiki that's insightful.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/SimNation

"Not much is known about religion in SimNation since it is a secular nation. There appears to be no official state religion, and there seems to be an absence of organized religion in The Sims, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. However, churches were present in the original SimCity and in SimCity 2000, and SimCity 4 includes the option to build Houses of Worship and Cemeteries in the city. Religion was probably deliberately left open-ended for the player to decide how to envision religious practice in The Sims.

Sims do appear to believe in an afterlife and the supernatural, but not in any religious way. The Grim Reaper appears in The Sims and its sequels and deceased Sims appear as ghosts. Also, various occult-related items, activities, and, in the case of The Sims: Makin' Magic an entire sub-neighborhood related to the occult have appeared throughout the series. They also seem to be somewhat aware of the player as they sometimes wave to get the players attention when something's wrong, as if breaking the fourth wall.

In The Sims 2: University, students majoring in Philosophy will take a class entitled "Who Controls the Pie Menu and Why?", implying that some Sims do take part in some sort of philosophical-religious debate; however, this is probably intended as a joke for the player, who controls the pie menu (usually presumed to be invisible to Sims, much like the PlumbBob) and is therefore in a sense "playing god".

In The Sims 2 for Nintendo DS, a god called the Prime Heifer is revealed. Ava Cadavra has the player build a shrine for the Prime Heifer's statue, but it is later destroyed by the player's sim and replaced with a statue of an Egyptian God by Horus Menhoset IX. In The Sims 2 for PlayStation Portable, the Kine Society, which was founded by Dominic Newlow and is led by Sinjin Balani, worships the same god under the name Beelzebeef.

In The Sims 2: Bon Voyage, visitors to Twikkii Island may accidentally anger an ancient island god, Jumbok IV, by desecrating the ruins of his temple. The long-dead tribe of island people in The Sims 2: Castaway apparently worshiped a llama god, as another ruined temple containing llama idols can be found on Volcano Island. However, the temples of both gods have fallen into disrepair, suggesting that they are part of an ancient system of beliefs no longer followed by either the islanders themselves or their neighbors in SimNation.

In The Sims Medieval, Sims partake in a form of religion resembling medieval Christianity. While the religion itself has no mentioned name, it consists of two named branches; the Jacoban Church, which relies on being feared, and the Peteran Church, which relies on being loved. Assuming The Sims Medieval and The Sims series take place in the same universe, it appears that neither form of religion survived to (or is mentioned in) the modern age.

Assuming the Sims universe is in the same universe as the game Spore is, the Spode Cult may be a religion followed by Sims; however, the Spode Cult may have formed later, formed by an alien race, or the game may not even take place in the same universe."

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I think a new lot type would be sufficient. I imagine the lot would be special in the sense that it would be tethered to a specific group(s) upon assignment.
  • Options
    I think a new lot type would be sufficient. I imagine the lot would be special in the sense that it would be tethered to a specific group(s) upon assignment.

That would make it very easy as well to search in the gallery for places of worship.

• Options
    Based on the sims history, theyve gone about it 2 ways- a seemingly parody/humorous perspective (like with the Prime Heifer) and a more serious/realitic route with the sims medieval. I could see both being a part of the game.

• Options
    Yeah, #tags would come in really handy for the gallery for finding that place your Sim feels at peace.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I'd be ok with a podium and a chapel lot with a graveyard in the back. I think it would be cool to have more club options and icons. That way Sims can worship llamas or cowplants or gnomes or other things.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    I'd be ok with a podium and a chapel lot with a graveyard in the back. I think it would be cool to have more club options and icons. That way Sims can worship llamas or cowplants or gnomes or other things.

We could have the option to choose what life state/ item could be worshipped / a part of worship.

And yes! Id love having a podium.

• Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    I like the idea of having my sims have some kind of spirituality! When playng Supernatural in the sims 3, I had felt a little the lack of it. I would have liked my witches to have some kind of cult, maybe towards the ancestors, or having the fairyes pray plants spirits, and werewolfes believing in the moon as a deity/spirit.

I have roleplayed my sims, since I'm a generational player, as prayng their ancestors, So I always had my dead sims tombstone in an angle of the garden, or having their own cript, and I had my sims cry over their loved ones dead tomb before a very important event in their life: before becaming young adult, before/after the birth of a child or a marriage. :) it worked for me, but I would love some more in depth stuff.
  • Options
    DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
    I would like to create a religion, in game, sort of like, God, Ghosts and Nature, like 3-4 basic elements
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I would like to see some polytheistic religious stuff if they implement a system. It could add interesting things to seasons and/or natural disasters.
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited June 2016
    A podium that your sim could give moodlet speeches from is a great idea - this could be used to implement a variety of activities including a religion when used with clubs or groups. We already have a "fire up" which is pretty useful - I could see this being pretty fun and adding a lot to game play. Currently I dont play with clubs but I do use the group feature a lot. We could call it "get motivated", add in some club dues, light some incense and call it a day. :wink:
    Post edited by Nectere on
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,767 Member
    edited June 2016
    Only if I could choose if I want it to be a single god/ess religion or if there could be multiple gods/goddess. And if it's multiple I could use other sims I created to have various roles in made-up religion.

Oh and might I point out the Jacobian Religion in TSM is scary like the Medival version of the Catholic Church, well the Peteran religion is more of the Protestant (aka Martin Luther) sector of Christianity

Another point with the free Hoilday pack in year 1? We get a Jewish Menorah.. I just wish we could get different relgious wear (ie Hijabs, or Kippahs, Turbans)

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,554 Member
    i do not mind this only if its optinel
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    ejoslin wrote: »
    I would like to see some polytheistic religious stuff if they implement a system. It could add interesting things to seasons and/or natural disasters.

That would be really cool if certain acts of worship or offerings even could affect or influence the weather.

• Options
    DcD2510 wrote: »
    I would like to create a religion, in game, sort of like, God, Ghosts and Nature, like 3-4 basic elements

That would be so awesome!