The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Invisible Sims 4 Players Exist?

Comments

• Options
    GentleSimmer1990GentleSimmer1990 Posts: 125 Member
    Hi TheGoodOldGamer!
    And I doubt there are 2-3 million active users around here, just for Sims 4 alone, not even counting those playing previous iterations.

Right! I That's why I think the term 'invisible' is a little bit misleading. It kind of works if we refer to the official forum. And that's the point: As somebody who is still a new member it seems that the sims community is divided in half. 50% like Sims 4, 50% don't. But IMO it does not by any means reflect the 'reality' if you take into consideration that the social media (twitter, reaction to the trailers on youtube) conveys a different image of the situation.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I don't believe the Devs Care about the Players unless they Cared about ALL the players which, as I know, isn't the case. :)
    sunman502 wrote: »
    This isn't about how EA sees them Rf, it's about how active that they are on one of the community sites that makes a Simmer visible or not. EA couldn't care less either way. EA is only focus on selling copies of The Sims, and making a nice profit off of it. They couldn't care less about how much a player participates here or on any of the Fan sites.

Then really, there are only about 10 Active at one time (giving numbers like 5%). Even I am not active on the site Everyday. :lol:

So, the point of this is- EA knows and we don't which is all they care about. Got it. :)
    I don't think any of us really are active on any the community sites everyday, I'm certainly not.
    The devs do care about the game, and it's players because their job is on the line. So they really don't have much a choice, unless they really want to give up what they love to do to go look for another job somewhere else.

:sigh: They don't CARE or not one player who played before would have been left out. They can care about the game, they can care about profits, but never believe they care about the players. No one play style would be left out if they actually did.
    That is not what I read from SimGuruGraham's tweets to me about when one of us had passed from an illness a few years back. If you had read SimGuruGraham's tweets to me about that. You too would be singing a different tune about that. The devs are not heartless people as some people make them out to be.

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I don't believe the Devs Care about the Players unless they Cared about ALL the players which, as I know, isn't the case. :)

The way I see it, they have a vision set out in each series they create. The way in which they want to explore the game from a different angle. And I am fine with that.

Sims1 was the baby. Sims 2 added to that with enhancing the life of the sims. Sims 3 focused on the sims world. Sims 4 is back to the sims themselves and enriching their lives in other ways.

Not every player will like every series. I get that you, as a world builder, are not happy. But that doesn't mean that other players are not happy with this turn-around.

First and foremost, they have their vision for what this series is about. I'd like to see it develop from THEIR perspective. I want to see seasons their way. Pets their way. Family their way. I want to see how they do this! Because, so far, I like it.

But, as you said, the Devs CARE about the players (which I feel sad when I read this) then they would care about ALL the old players. Even the ones the new players... So, if they care, (we know they don't actually Care) then when will they stop caring about the ones who believe they care about them? As you say, Their vision isn't Caring about the Players. :)

Not any of the past series has been able to please all the players. ( except maybe 2) But even then people wanted more. Perhaps it was the world builders that were more vocal, or the sp players. Or the legacy players. Because when they made sims 3, they forgot about me. Just your typical invisible player......

Then please tell my why you believe the Devs care about you?

And if the Silent Player is so important, why do you believe the vocal people got what they wanted in TS3?

I remember EA (CEO/Exec) responded to the players (vocal players) being disappointed about only one world being released with TS3. They made Riverview and promised a world editing program. They did deliver to the Vocal, not the powerful invisible majority the article speaks about.

Yet, TS4 listened to Telemetry which makes the Silent player Equal to the Vocal so neither is more powerful. Just thinkin' -which makes sense to me no matter the words others are speaking. Especially the part of the Devs caring about the Players. They care about the welfare of their game and will spin it. :)

Even though I am on the forums now, I am really not vocal in what I "expect". Nor do I have any "demands". I have wishes and hopes. If they aren't implemented then fine. I will not be a bitter simmer. As has been stated, I am just here because I love playing The Sims.

I'm here because I want to know about new content and when we get it. That's pretty much it.

I DO voice my opinion when people want SP back, or other things that ruined my game.
  • Options
    More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    @Rflong7 - Also take into consideration that the missing features (I want them back too!) are more likely not something those "evil uncaring developers" are holding away from you to exclude you, but instead a limitation put on them by the game development process itself.

As a hobbyist game developer myself I know how it is when there's time restrictions, budget droughts, pesky bugs and engine troubles.......all kinds of things.

TS3 reused a bit of TS2 things. TS4 was mostly from scratch.......there's just so many things to consider before jumping into the "uncaring developer" pool...........and sadly many of those things the developers themselves aren't even allowed to comment about (generally speaking, not TS4 development) in the world of game dev.
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I do think it is possible to register through Origin and not even touch forums. I know I registered my Sims 2 game and didn't bother with forums either. With the Sims 3 I never bothered actually. The Sims 4 is actually the first Sims game in which registering is a requirement, so I think with this iteration unlike the rest, EA has a better understanding how many registered users there are. But how many that canceled their pre-orders and returned the Sims 4 we'll never know.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    I do think it is possible to register through Origin and not even touch forums. I know I registered my Sims 2 game and didn't bother with forums either. With the Sims 3 I never bothered actually. The Sims 4 is actually the first Sims game in which registering is a requirement, so I think with this iteration unlike the rest, EA has a better understanding how many registered users there are. But how many that canceled their pre-orders and returned the Sims 4 we'll never know.
    You register your copy of the game through Origin when you go to install it. And EA does have a better understanding about just how many registered copies that are out there more than we do. ;)

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,590 Member
    More_Moore wrote: »
    @Rflong7 - Also take into consideration that the missing features (I want them back too!) are more likely not something those "evil uncaring developers" are holding away from you to exclude you, but instead a limitation put on them by the game development process itself.

As a hobbyist game developer myself I know how it is when there's time restrictions, budget droughts, pesky bugs and engine troubles.......all kinds of things.

TS3 reused a bit of TS2 things. TS4 was mostly from scratch.......there's just so many things to consider before jumping into the "uncaring developer" pool...........and sadly many of those things the developers themselves aren't even allowed to comment about (generally speaking, not TS4 development) in the world of game dev.

Lol! Now you're putting words in my mouth. :lol:

I'm not the one who says they care but to make sure people do not see them as caring about them as was stated. I think they're people- Nothing more, nothing less.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I was an invisible player in 2001, when I briefly played and soon after quit playing Sims 1. I never complained, nor did I learn about cheats which might have kept me playing had I known. And I was an invisible player between January - August 2010, when I played and enjoyed Sims 3. Then I registered on a forum that was all about sharing stories and pictures and that certainly added a very important dimension to my game: Sims 3 became two games. Playing + using screenshots to tell stories. I enjoy both equally. That was and is a small community though and not English speaking, so in a way we were and are quite invisible there as well I guess ;) To EA that is.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I was an invisible player in 2001, when I briefly played and soon after quit playing Sims 1. I never complained, nor did I learn about cheats which might have kept me playing had I known. And I was an invisible player between January - August 2010, when I played and enjoyed Sims 3. Then I registered on a forum that was all about sharing stories and pictures and that certainly added a very important dimension to my game: Sims 3 became two games. Playing + using screenshots to tell stories. I enjoy both equally. That was and is a small community though and not English speaking, so in a way we were and are quite invisible there as well I guess ;) To EA that is.

I don't know if I'm invisible. I've always played with telemetry turned off, but I've always registered my games. I do the same with all software.

I may not always care to share my experiences, but lately, I have, and I believe it has a lot to do with disappointment. It's strange how some join together through shared joy. People like me though, stay silent until they're unhappy. Guess that's what makes me a grumpy player :\
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I don't know if I'm invisible. I've always played with telemetry turned off, but I've always registered my games. I do the same with all software.

I may not always care to share my experiences, but lately, I have, and I believe it has a lot to do with disappointment. It's strange how some join together through shared joy. People like me though, stay silent until they're unhappy. Guess that's what makes me a grumpy player :\
    But also a happy invisible player ;) (just not now)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016

But also a happy invisible player ;) (just not now)

Actually, I am a happy invisible player. As I'm not playing the game I'm discussing at all. It's been months since I've played S4. The game I'm enjoying is keeping me quiet. That is, until I'm not playing it, like now. Not near my computer. :)
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,663 Member
    The writer of this article is defining "invisible players" as people who simply buy the game and play it. No interaction on forums, review sites, social media, or YouTube. Sure, they are not truly invisible (in the literal sense of the word) to the game company because obviously the company has the sale numbers: they know how many players exist. And EA has telemetry, and they can learn certain things about players. But the writer isn't talking about telemetry; he's talking about social interaction between players, reviewers, and sometimes developers, specifically on social media and websites.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    The writer of this article is defining "invisible players" as people who simply buy the game and play it. No interaction on forums, review sites, social media, or YouTube. Sure, they are not truly invisible (in the literal sense of the word) to the game company because obviously the company has the sale numbers: they know how many players exist. And EA has telemetry, and they can learn certain things about players. But the writer isn't talking about telemetry; he's talking about social interaction between players, reviewers, and sometimes developers, specifically on social media and websites.
    So very true, all of it. :)

• Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Which makes the point of the article pointless. Why would anyone care about other players, except for click baiting them (like the article is doing)? The only entity who really cares about the "invisible" players is the company selling the game to them. And believe me, they know exactly what people are doing in their games. How else would they know the number of times sims have woohoo'd in the past year?

**Wasn't it Apple that had a privacy setting that Steve Jobs mentioned in an internal memo that it actually didn't do anything. They still collected the data anyway. I imagine most companies do something similar.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Which makes the point of the article pointless. Why would anyone care about other players, except for click baiting them (like the article is doing)? The only entity who really cares about the "invisible" players is the company selling the game to them. And believe me, they know exactly what people are doing in their games. How else would they know the number of times sims have woohoo'd in the past year?

**Wasn't it Apple that had a privacy setting that Steve Jobs mentioned in an internal memo that it actually didn't do anything. They still collected the data anyway. I imagine most companies do something similar.

Yeah. Awards and plaques are big these days. Every game you play has some kind of achievement award system applied to it. No one cares in the broad sense though, which is why I feel it's not as strongly present as it was a few years ago.

I honestly don't care to share how many times I've woohood in my game, which is generally solely to procreate. Nor do I care about sharing anything else I've done. I honestly don't feel the need to share what I'm doing right now.

Never have; never will.

I also don't feel like anyone else really cares, which is the real crux.

I miss the days where fun won out over achievements that no one cares about.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think the article is meant to be a reminder that those of us who do talk here in forums and other social media (I still can't bring myself to do that) aren't necessarily where the buying power is at.
    They can be oblivious to opinions they don't take sides, it doesn't matter. They just spend on what they want and have or have not researched in their own way. I use to buy something if I liked the cover, or if I saw my kids playing something and I liked it or a relative (that got me into Tomb Raider and Oblivion). Even now I could basically care less about reviews because I like things that others often don't ...even movies ect that haven't gotten the best rating. I buy things that interest me and that still carries over even though I post now.
    I don't see the article as pointless at all, it describes where I was not too long ago, and still am in relation to all the other games I play (I might look at those forums now and then to search for some answer or mod but I don't participate.)
    I've see many threads where someone starts posting about the majority ... while they have no real way of knowing what that is. They seem to have tunnel vision because the threads and posts they read the most leads them to believe most think this or that way.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    The buying power or the ones buying the copies of this game is every Simmer that's out there. No matter if they are active on any of the websites for this game or not. That's where EA, and Maxis gets the money for this game from. They don't grow the profits for this game on the trees in their own backyard. That money come from the gamer that has bought a copy of the game.
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,663 Member
    edited May 2016
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

I think, as @Hermitgirl mentioned, this article was meant to remind the hard-core players that like to be involved in all aspects of their games, that they are in the minority. That the success or failure of a game isn't always based on the numbers of likes the video gets on Youtube, or its rating. He also seems to be writing this article - in my opinion - as a way to express his own fascination with the "invisible gamer". A few excerpts from the article:

"They fascinate me because I don't reach them, outside of my personal friends sometimes reading my columns to be polite."

"It's important to know that they're out there, and that those of us who are loud about our habits and interact vocally with the industry may not match them in size or importance. We don't speak for what could be the silent majority of gamers, and likely never will. Marketing budgets in the millions are spent trying to reach them, and the vocal minority of gamers may understate their own importance simply due to the fact these silent folks don't exist in a meaningful way outside of our real-like social circles."

I bolded the phrases in the last paragraph because I believe that is his purpose. He seems to be directing this article at the involved gamers. Our own forums can be used as an example. Some people like to make blanket statements about how "everyone wants this feature" or "nobody wants this feature", when in reality, the vocal ones on this forum may be the minority. No one can really know what the majority wants.

Anyways, some people may care about this kind of information, and some may not. I find it interesting, but it won't be interesting to everyone.

Edit: I realize after re-reading the previous posts that I basically just repeated @Hermitgirl. Sorry. :D
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Wow, this thread was intense to read through haha.

Rather than invisible, I'm more or less a shy gamer. I tend to only go onto community sites when I have an issue, and my first posts are usually filled with "sorry if this was mentioned before" LOL
    ;_;
    Besides issues, I'd join a community if there was a multiplayer aspect to it (like pokemon, for example) where I can get something beneficial to me if I ask and put myself out there. I do enjoy lurking forums most of the time, and I tend to write out posts I forget to send or end up erasing because I'm shy. :s
    I enjoy the smaller community because I recognize usernames better, at least.
    My buying habits are generally prioritized by necessity, so if I really like a game, I'll put money aside for it. I used to impulsively buy but that never got me anywhere but a huge steam library and not enough time to play them.
    I know a lot of gamers that aren't very vocal, as well. The article (and this thread!) has been a very interesting read.
  • Options
    Rflong13Rflong13 Posts: 682 Member
    It's a Presumed Majority. They're putting out an idea- some are taking it as Gospel because it matches their idea.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    lol @HowGreatThouArt you worded it better. I agree with @sunman502 too though every simmer is the buying power (and matters). I don't think forums make no impact at all, but it's weighed out. Everyone can't be pleased.. that doesn't mean they all don't care... I'm sure some don't but in the end the bottom line matters and matters big. I think the Devs care though. It's their baby.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 911 Member
    edited May 2016
    Well, I don't know -- the writer of the article may not be speaking of Telemetry, but I think the point some make is: Perhaps he SHOULD BE. Because it sure does seem to play a part in 'voicing' things to EA. It's been stated on various occasions that EA/Maxis has used metrics/telemetry in guiding their choices. Turning on that option to share data with the mothership may be a much more effective voice than typing up posts here on the forums. (Maybe, maybe not, but I sure think it's shortsighted to discount it.)

I participate here on the forums, but frankly, I dislike software that 'phones home' to report on my habits. So I don't have that option turned on. (Nor did I in TS3.) Maybe that's why TS4 has so few of the things I love in TS3 . . . alas, it's too late now.

Sales will always be a big 'voice' in things though. And regardless of whether we post on a forum or send back telemetry, all the 'loud' and 'quiet' players have to put down their money to buy the game. A 'loud' person's money is just as good as an 'invisible' person's money in that respect, so we're all pretty equal when it comes to the real bottom line in a larger sense. (And with purchases, or at the very least 'activations' going through Origin, there's no question of 'registration.' You buy or activate the game, they know.)

There's a lot of chatter about how 'representative' the forums are (or are not) of players in general too. I can only give my own view, but I don't see why the forums aren't pretty 'representative.' Sure, not everyone comes to the forums. But forum-goers are just a 'sample' of the larger set of gamers. The whole basis of statistics is that, in general, if you have a large enough 'sample' of the main set, you can identify trends in the whole by seeing them in your sample. So . . . aren't we, the forum-goers, simply a sample of the overall gamers/simmers set? Are our desires really so eccentric and different from those of everyone else who plays The Sims? I don't see why it would be so. For myself, I expect the forums are a fairly decent cross-section of Simmers in general.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    Ayradyss wrote: »
    Well, I don't know -- the writer of the article may not be speaking of Telemetry, but I think the point some make is: Perhaps he SHOULD BE. Because it sure does seem to play a part in 'voicing' things to EA. It's been stated on various occasions that EA/Maxis has used metrics/telemetry in guiding their choices. Turning on that option to share data with the mothership may be a much more effective voice than typing up posts here on the forums. (Maybe, maybe not, but I sure think it's shortsighted to discount it.)

I participate here on the forums, but frankly, I dislike software that 'phones home' to report on my habits. So I don't have that option turned on. (Nor did I in TS3.) Maybe that's why TS4 has so few of the things I love in TS3 . . . alas, it's too late now.

Sales will always be a big 'voice' in things though. And regardless of whether we post on a forum or send back telemetry, all the 'loud' and 'quiet' players have to put down their money to buy the game. A 'loud' person's money is just as good as an 'invisible' person's money in that respect, so we're all pretty equal when it comes to the real bottom line in a larger sense. (And with purchases, or at the very least 'activations' going through Origin, there's no question of 'registration.' You buy or activate the game, they know.)

There's a lot of chatter about how 'representative' the forums are (or are not) of players in general too. I can only give my own view, but I don't see why the forums aren't pretty 'representative.' Sure, not everyone comes to the forums. But forum-goers are just a 'sample' of the larger set of gamers. The whole basis of statistics is that, in general, if you have a large enough 'sample' of the main set, you can identify trends in the whole by seeing them in your sample. So . . . aren't we, the forum-goers, simply a sample of the overall gamers/simmers set? Are our desires really so eccentric and different from those of everyone else who plays The Sims? I don't see why it would be so. For myself, I expect the forums are a fairly decent cross-section of Simmers in general.

Interesting point. Telemetry aside. S2 gained 2 out of 3 players in my household alone. Eventually gaining 3 out of 3.

S2, in total, gained 3 out of 3 in in the end.

S3 gained 2 out of 3 in total at the beginning. it lost one before the first EP. Lost another after the first EP.

In total, gaining 0 out of 3 in the end. That changed recently. It now stands at 1 out of 3.

S4 gained 1 out of 3 players. There was a failed attempt to gain 2 out of 3. In the end, it lost all what it had due to forced patches. In the end, it gained 0 out of 3.

In total, it gained 0 out of 3.

This is a small sample. There are many new simmers and old simmer it has gained, but in my household alone, it has lost us all.

These numbers mean nothing in the grand scheme of things though. It's just perspective on a solitary household.
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 911 Member

Interesting point. Telemetry aside. S2 gained 2 out of 3 players in my household alone. Eventually gaining 3 out of 3.

S2, in total, gained 3 out of 3 in in the end.

S3 gained 2 out of 3 in total at the beginning. it lost one before the first EP. Lost another after the first EP.

In total, gaining 0 out of 3 in the end. That changed recently. It now stands at 1 out of 3.

S4 gained 1 out of 3 players. There was a failed attempt to gain 2 out of 3. In the end, it lost all what it had due to forced patches. In the end, it gained 0 out of 3.

In total, it gained 0 out of 3.

This is a small sample. There are many new simmers and old simmer it has gained, but in my household alone, it has lost us all.

These numbers mean nothing in the grand scheme of things though. It's just perspective on a solitary household.
    The whole basis of statistics is that, in general, if you have a large enough 'sample' of the main set, you can identify trends in the whole by seeing them in your sample.

Phrase bolded for emphasis.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    I think he makes a valid point. The simmers on the forum, and Facebook, and Twitter could account for a small fraction of the Sims 4 sales and the majority of those purchasing have no knowledge of the discontent and probably don't care.

Makes sense...I never, ever went on the forums before TS4. I had my gripes, but no game is perfect and I really enjoyed the previous 3 sims games. I started going on the forums to see if everyone else was as 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off about TS4 as I was, when they announced there wasn't going to be pools, ghosts or toddlers.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top