Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bakery and Restaurants

I enjoyed running a bakery with GTW, and am excited to try a full restaurant in Dine Out. Think it will be possible to run both as one venue?

I know in order for it to be a functional store the lot had to be specified as retail, I'm assuming for a restaurant it would be the same and have to be a reatauarant so it wouldn't be possible to have a sit down eating restaurant with a to go/bakery store up front as one functioning lot/venue.

I generally love how TS4 works but have found some of the venue restrictions a little frustrating. For example, retail stores are kind of demanding and I'd love to be able to have my family live in an apartment above the store and have both home and functioning store in a lot (with home accessible to household only of course which a locked door would work I think) but despite my best efforts not possible.

Considering how small Magnolia Promenade is and some of the GTW limitations I really wish this was possible!

As unlikely as it is I'm hoping.
Gallery : VintageSaturday // Simblr : S.E. Sims
ltx83WK.png

Comments

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    well it seems the only way to do this, is to build your apt, or studio above your store. I have done that with a Art Store. I have another lot and I only went to it to get the mail. Now I am not sure if you can get your bills from the computer in the Apt or studio over your store I did this and stayed in the studio for quite a long time, so I guess you can stay there as long as you like.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    You won't have customers coming in looking for bakery goods. They'll all be waiting for the host to sit them.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    well it seems the only way to do this, is to build your apt, or studio above your store. I have done that with a Art Store. I have another lot and I only went to it to get the mail. Now I am not sure if you can get your bills from the computer in the Apt or studio over your store I did this and stayed in the studio for quite a long time, so I guess you can stay there as long as you like.

You have to have the second lot as a theoretical home for the bills, and that is what is causing issues for people who have space issues in their games. Not enough lots to have lots of homes and lots of retail stores and lots of venues.
  • Options
    vintagesaturdayvintagesaturday Posts: 258 Member
    Yeah, and I really wish it were possible!
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    I don't think you'll be able to run both from the same lot. Although I'm not sure how the lot ownership will work at all, maybe it's similar to retail ownership and you could alternate with funds for example, maybe even change lot type while your sim is actively on the retail/restaurant lot? We'll have to wait and see to fully understand what the limitations are and if the two systems are somewhat interlinked.

Regarding space on Magnolia Promenade however, if you truly wanted to try and "live" on the retail lot you could always have the retail somewhere else: in one of the other worlds on a bigger lot. Retails aren't restricted to Magnolia Promenade, you just have to go and change the lot type (anywhere) to retail using Manage world tool so it can be purchasable through your sims phone.
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    I would love if they patched in the ability to run a home business be it retail or restaurant. This is one of the main features I wanted to return in any OFB remake (it just makes the home much more interesting and takes away any limits) and I was very upset when I found out it wouldn't be possible.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    I've tried having a shop/home thing going on, but it never seemed to work, even when I had the "postal" home right next door, which was quite frankly awkward. Just couldn't seem to get the shop owner to use the bed provided. I was likely doing something wrong, mind! That said, it's something that would be a really cool QoL update - to have shop/restaurant properties on the same lot as the owner's home. I'd really like to see that!
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    I miss home businesses, too!
  • Options
    SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    I would personally love the ability to have combined venues but I understand why we don't. Sims are programmed to act a certain way in a certain venue so its not easy to combine venues and keep the functionality. At the least we should be able to operate a business from our Sims home though.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    Though of the Idea of a food truck. The order window that's coming with the new gamepack will be really cool to try that on.
    I always loved Food Trucks.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    You could have a bakery by having only baked goods on your menu since we can customize menu when we own it. :)
  • Options
    DiamondsR4everDiamondsR4ever Posts: 243 Member
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    I miss home businesses, too!
    I absolutely loved home businesses in Sims 2.
    The ignore feature is a blessing :D . Don't be afraid to use it!
  • Options
    Its not that retail is limited to magnolia as a problem rather to be registered as a store you have to set the lot to retail, and sims can't live in retail lots but only residential and I want to have one lot serving as both home and store amd wish it were possible. Similar it'd be nice to sell both bakery items and run the restaurant but that may have to be separate too. I think you guys are right though it sounds like it might be dining only.
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Its not that retail is limited to magnolia as a problem rather to be registered as a store you have to set the lot to retail, and sims can't live in retail lots but only residential and I want to have one lot serving as both home and store amd wish it were possible. Similar it'd be nice to sell both bakery items and run the restaurant but that may have to be separate too. I think you guys are right though it sounds like it might be dining only.

Well, the trailer looked like it had a bar inside a restaurant, so maybe we'll be able to combine like establishments like bars, bakeries and cafes with restaurants. So someone can put a bakery at the front of a restaurant (kind of like Panera or La Madelaine) or a sidewalk café with a sit-down restaurant inside, etc.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    That would be so great!
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    that's why some of us have been wishing for combined lots; gym/spa, bakery/restaurant ect.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yep, totally my wish. I would love to combine gym/spa too!

Another good one would be restaurant/museum, not as important but so many venues crossover in real life. Most of the museums I've been to also have a cafe.
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Can't you just make your own combined spa/gym?
  • Options
    You can but the game will only recognize it as one, which isn't a big deal but if your sim has a wish to go the spa or gym it won't register as both but only one or the other depending on which you pick. This also affects generated moodlets - like the spa generates the spa moodlet where a gym wouldn't.
    ltx83WK.png
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Ah I see. Fair enough.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    that's why some of us have been wishing for combined lots; gym/spa, bakery/restaurant ect.

Yes, this is something I've been wanting them to implement from the start. @SimGuruEugi talked about it a bit in the Simulation Tech Talk thread. I'm hoping they'll figure out a way for us to at least combine some similar lots together and, perhaps, make it so we can put residential together with retail and/or service lots.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Residential with retail/service lots would be amazing. It would make my game so much easier!
    ltx83WK.png