Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 – is it a good sequel?

Comments

• Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Haiden wrote: »
    Depends what you sequelizing it to. To me it has some elements of all 3 previous games, however my opinion is they possibly chose the worst features.

I detest loading screens, I dislike the closed worlds (while I enjoyed the open world, I would have preferred TS4 to have a semi open world), meaning it loaded up each district as a semi Open world with no loading screens between the 4 or 5 lots in that paticular district. The emotions system sux, would have prefered an evolved Ts2 aspiration and Wants/Fears and more control over personality. I do like its art/graphics the best out of the series, but good graphics don't make up for bad game play imo.

Sequel means a continuation or the same as previous, but this game is not a sequel, it's more akin to a spin off. Dunno if it actually deserves the name Ts4......
    i don't quite understand why those loading screens are everywhere, breaking completely the immersion in the game, loading the neighbor's lot already just to set a foot before his house the most breaking of them all
    & especially i don't understand that the backdrops are just that - backdrops, paintings on the wall in 3D, why they are not accessible districts visible from every angle but accessible & playable only after a loading screen - sections of the actual entire world

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    It was mentioned once that the game isn't a true sequel, in as such that it follows a timeline. It's apparently meant to be set in some alternate reality or whatever.
    However, as a sequel to the franchise itself, no, I don't think it's a good sequel at all. It's really just some salvaged online social game, and that is really sad. I think given more time, a true understanding and a lot more love and effort, that it could have been great. I believe that the Sims "magic" has been lost in a sea of MMO games, and social rubbish these days.
    Perhaps JR was right when he said that single player games were dead. Not because people don't want to play them, but because developers are intent on forcing online features and connectivity even into games where they don't belong or aren't wanted.
    :disappointed:

That's just how I feel about it anyway. Some people really like it.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    It was mentioned once that the game isn't a true sequel, in as such that it follows a timeline. It's apparently meant to be set in some alternate reality or whatever.
    However, as a sequel to the franchise itself, no, I don't think it's a good sequel at all. It's really just some salvaged online social game, and that is really sad. I think given more time, a true understanding and a lot more love and effort, that it could have been great. I believe that the Sims "magic" has been lost in a sea of MMO games, and social rubbish these days.
    Perhaps JR was right when he said that single player games were dead. Not because people don't want to play them, but because developers are intent on forcing online features and connectivity even into games where they don't belong or aren't wanted.
    :disappointed:

That's just how I feel about it anyway. Some people really like it.
    Yeah funny how the game being online only with installing makes it harder for Simmers in some countries to purchase the games and install them. I feel like the game is alienating a chunk of the userbase being so tied to Origin. Yep the alternate timeline makes it hard to view the Sims 4 as a sequel for me too. I mean Bob and Betty Newbie becoming Bob and Eliza Pancakes. Then the Goths losing the graveyard and the Caliente's looking like they got plastic surgery is enough to make me want to shake my head in disappointment.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member

Your asking the forum community this question?

For the ones that don't like the game. The answer is no, it is not a good sequeal.
    For those who do like the game, the answer is yes it is it is.
    For the handful that is neutral you probably get a more honest assessment between the two.

Until then

scary-movie-popcorn-gif_zpsnget57sf.gif

I got the popcorn ready cause this should be fun.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »

For the ones that don't like the game. The answer is no, it is not a good sequeal.
    For the handful that is neutral you probably get a more honest assessment between the two.

Until then

That is Funny, well done, :)
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Until then

I don't really understand why you would consider a 'neutral' to be a more honest assessment?

Surely as a subjective situation yours or my experience is just as honest as someone else's? If they feel strongly one way or the other why would their reasons be less 'honest'? I don't quite understand the concept you are working to there.
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I don't know if it should be considered a sequel but more like a remake of the earlier games with a more modern feel to it. I mainly say that because of the loading screens and no create a style tools. I don't think it's a good game right now because of how limited and kid-friendly everything is. I'm sure most fans are over 12 especially if they've been playing since the first game. I know rated T doesn't mean rated M and I should just get more mods if I want it like that but it shouldn't feel like it's targeting 12 and under. They could get away with a lot more than woohooing under sheets for rated T.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2016
    I do think the Sims 4 makes a good spin off of the Sims 3 Into the Future pack. That pack was so prophetic of the Sims' future. I mean Sims that act and have trait slots like Plumbots, Utopia world, Sims that forget each other and regenerate, and everything ultra modern and clean. Only thing, that pack actually had transportation. XD
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

Until then

So, you are saying that those who like the game and those who dislike the game can't give a natural opinion of the game? I would have to disagree with that statement. I feel many people have been able to prove why they like it or not, and also give a detail example as to what fits their argument. All in all, no matter what position you take towards the game, they are all valid, and honest.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    lalalalanalalalalalanala Posts: 102 Member
    yesish? For me the sims 2 was a great game. Nothing can and has topped it The amount of detail in the game was incredibly. Obviously TS4 has it's problems but i still think it's a good game for what it is. I don't see it as a sequel either. The base game didn't contain everything that the developers wanted so i don't think it's fair to judge them for it. Instead i just see the game as a spin off.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

So, you are saying that those who like the game and those who dislike the game can't give a natural opinion of the game? I would have to disagree with that statement. I feel many people have been able to prove why they like it or not, and also give a detail example as to what fits their argument. All in all, no matter what position you take towards the game, they are all valid, and honest.

I said the handful that is neutral, not natural. Anyone can give their natural opinion of the game, but that isn't what the OP asked.
    Post edited by Gruffman on
  • Options
    SummerskydreamerSummerskydreamer Posts: 1,681 Member
    To tell you the truth Sims4 is not a very good game at all
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    No, it's not a good sequel. And it most certainly is a sequel; note the "4" in the title. I think the franchise needs a complete and total reboot.

They tried that -- it's called The Sims Olympus, lol.

Although, I do agree to an extent. I think it's long overdue we had a large amount of fresh ideas and concepts implemented in the game. Sims 2, 3, and 4 almost feel like the same game, and I think not are only people tired of that, but it's creating this whole pressure on EA to repeat the same expansions over and over, which is quite boring.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

I said the handful that is neutral, not natural. Anyone can give their natural opinion of the game, but that isn't what the OP asked.

Ooohhh, type-o, but you know what I meant. So don't nit pick. And I stand by what I said, because everyone is able to give their opinion, and they are all valid. The only person who could give a truly neutral would be someone who never played any Sims game.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    spivoskispivoski Posts: 299 Member
    In my opinion, it's just an okay game as a sequel.

When I first played the base game of Sims 3, I was caught in the openness and the creative capabilities of the game. It kept me interested and engaged, and was built on its successor.

With The Sims 4, I find myself less engaged, frequently bored too soon, and letdown. I may even have a bit of resentment toward the game because of all the money I've invested, just to be bored of the game.

To me, IMO, TS2 is a much better sequel to TS1, TS3 is a good sequel to TS2, and TS4 is too lacking to me to be considered a good sequel. Not saying TS4 is a bad game--it's just boring.

The Sims 2 is the best!!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2016
    Heh.....huuuuuuuuuuh........kind of no.

Sims are hella boring in TS4.

The game has a townie generation process that can sometimes be too obvious creating immersion breaking points.

If you do not like loading screens don't play this game, because unlike in TS2, what's after each loading screen is not rewarding the await.

No toddlers.

No Cast creating lack of customization.

No terrain manipulation tools.

Object babies.

No open world and small worlds though not a huge issue to me it still bothers me a little.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    spivoski wrote: »

When I first played the base game of Sims 3, I was caught in the openness and the creative capabilities of the game. It kept me interested and engaged, and was built on its successor.

With The Sims 4, I find myself less engaged, frequently bored too soon, and letdown. I may even have a bit of resentment toward the game because of all the money I've invested, just to be bored of the game.

To me, IMO, TS2 is a much better sequel to TS1, TS3 is a good sequel to TS2, and TS4 is too lacking to me to be considered a good sequel. Not saying TS4 is a bad game--it's just boring.

The Sims 2 is the best!!

I agree Sims 2 is the best, Sims 4 just appears to me as a game on Geritol. It is like a game where EA/Maxis is scared to go outside the box.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2016
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

The Sims 2 is the best!!

I agree Sims 2 is the best, Sims 4 just appears to me as a game on Geritol. It is like a game where EA/Maxis is scared to go outside the box.

I don't think they're scared, I think they're just unable to due to the developer's incapability, whether that be a product of EA or the developer's creative design itself. By that, I mean they spend a lot of time creating things I feel are just useless and could be replaced by many other things. Other features they sometimes throw in just feel boring and lacking. I wish they would design the game as a life sim once again, unfortunately as we all know that is not the case, according to the developers themselves.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    The Sims 4 is a great sequel.

Just not to a Sims game.
    raw
  • Options
    ShearsyShearsy Posts: 727 Member
    I personally think TS4 is a good sequel, but I believe it will become great once they include toddlers. For me, that is the main issue this game has. After recently having a shot of TS1 and TS2, although amazing games, I found myself missing certain features of TS4.

I missed how much you could truly customize a Sim in CAS, change their body type to exactly the way you want, move their facial features like clay and put hats on any hair type. I missed being able to click on their needs and for them to go do it themselves without having to pause and search the lot for a bathroom. I actually missed knowing how they were feeling, when they do something, are they happy? Bored? It is easier to see at a glance, I quite like that feature. The amount of food options TS4 has, and how it has so many more interactions (yes I know, some of the animation is repeated... but I like having the option, its great for story telling in my head anyway). I 100% missed multitasking as well.

Obviously when playing TS4 I miss the fears and wants of TS2 and how they would have interests, the toddlers and the simple but lovely feature of how they would cuddle each other in bed.

TS4 IS a good game in my eyes and I do understand where some people come from, there is this emptiness sometimes with TS4, which I hope will be filled with the upcoming SP and the (hopeful) release of toddlers. I hope in the future, fellow simmers will think this game will be worthy of being called a TS sequel.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

The Sims 2 is the best!!

I don't think they're scared, I think they're just unable to due to the developer's incapability, whether that be a product of EA or the developer's creative design itself. By that, I mean they spend a lot of time creating things I feel are just useless and could be replaced by many other things. Other features they sometimes throw in just feel boring and lacking. I wish they would design the game as a life sim once again, unfortunately as we all know that is not the case, according to the developers themselves.
    Oh that too! :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    I think that the main problem is the direction of the game. Sims are no longer seemingly lively little creatures, they’re just empty dolls, and lots of the things I dislike about this game won’t be changed. For example fake backdrops and one lot active at a time, the art style, emotions overriding personalities (it seems it could be changed, but it doesn’t seem profitable so I doubt they’d take a look into it), being able to switch between several emotions in a short time, limitations in build/buy mode... With all the additional content they will have released by the end of this iteration there surely will be more to do in the game, but the core issues will remain unchanged. The things I like about this game (e.g. similarly to @Shearsy the amount of food options) are details, and they can’t overweight the main things I dislike. And, without mods this game seems unplayable – I mainly mean random romantic relations and any forms of culling, which are apparently ‘features’. How such game breaking things can be considered as features is beyond my grasp.
    I really hope that at some point some other company will create a life simulator I dream of.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options

The original question by the OP was if the game was a good squeal.

I responded with:

Generally, when you take out the two extremes, you are left with the middle ground. That is where you get a more generalized and often balanced answer to the question. Considering at the top of page 2, there was already statements being made about being a Sims3 fan or a Sims4 art fan ... between those two, how would they most likely respond with is it a good sequel? Would a Sims3 fan consider the game a good sequel ... or a sims4 fan consider it a good sequel? ( And no, the word fan was not used, another word was).

As for the last part, no matter what position you take towards the game, they are all valid, and honest. I would say no, they are not. Yes, everyone is entitled to have an opinion. Everyone can express their opinion. Opinions are valid, they vary and are quite diverse. But there are simmers who I would not classify as honest.
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    edited May 2016
    @Gruffman
    Don’t you mean objective instead of honest? For all I know being honest means telling the truth, not cheat/fool people etc., while objective means not biased. Maybe honest has some other meaning, I don’t know (and I’m not sarcastic or anything, I genuinely may not know, I’m not a native speaker).
    Anyway, every opinion is subjective and biased, there isn’t anything like “objective opinion”, only facts are objective. So for example, “TS4 has no toddlers” is an objective fact. “I’m fine with it” and “It’s game breaking for me” are subjective opinions, neither of them is wrong or right or not honest (unless someone is lying).
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    boguczed1boguczed1 Posts: 170 Member
    My opinion is given not every expansion, SP, and GP hasn't been released yet my view is it is an ok sequel. Good no, bad also no. At face value for what we have now (I would call it bad at launch) it is fine, I'm pretty sure not what long time players like me wanted as a Sims game.

The positives:
    1) The graphics are nice, a bit cartoony but nice
    2) The emotion system is an interesting idea and great when it works properly
    3) It runs very smoothly
    4) The multitasking system is great once again if it works properly

The negatives:
    1) Too little focus on family play to focus more on young adults and adults and partying/hanging out
    2) Uses lower-end system requirements to play, leading to a reduction in variety and openness
    3) Because of the lower-end system requirements, there is no open world in each "sub hood" as well as the addition of culling NPCs without warning and the removal of Story Progression
    4) The relationship system is a bit odd, as you can be lovers without being friends
    5) The lack of content for children, teens, and elders
    6) This doesn't relate to the game itself, but the lack of communication from The Sims Team about upcoming content. We only get details a week or two before release of paid content, in comparison TS2 and TS3, we had some details or at least a trailer 1-3 months in advance. Get Together was a rare exception.