Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who nerfed kitchen fires and when did this happen?

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I miss those unpredictable elements as well. It made the game more interesting and enjoyable. Sure, it kinda stinks when your house gets hit by a random meteor, but it was also exciting! You could always go back to an earlier save if you didn't want to keep the disasters in your game. The new wishing well added a bit of a risky element to Sims4 though, so that's cool.

But what if I want the things that happened in the base game left alone and not be made to buy new content for new deaths? I know right after release I had stove fires in my base game.

I shouldn't have to buy new deaths and if they do want my money making the game more PC and "safe" isn't going to get it.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    MocaJava wrote: »
    I think they just nerfed death all together. I wouldn't necessarily say I kill all of my sims, but I do enjoy when some of them come to an unfortunate end. Unfortunately, The Sims 4 doesn't even allow that.

Pretty much any and all deaths in TS4 require the player to put in a significant amount of effort and time just to get their sim to die. We know they nerfed emotional deaths, which are now incredibly tedious to execute in game (literally I have never been able to kill a sim by emotion, and I've tried several times). I've never had a sim even be electrocuted, let alone killed by electricity. Starvation takes FOREVER, even once their hunger bar is severely low.

Elder deaths are the worst. If we know they'll die from strenuous activity, why on earth should the options to continue doing those activities be greyed out? Should I not have complete control? Should I not be able to force them into death? Apparently not, the developers claim to love the deviant side to the game but at the same time they made keeping your sims alive so unbelievably easy, and removed challenging aspects to make it even easier.

Death was so unpredictable in previous games, and that was fun. It was also devastating, but it was fun at the same time. Now we don't have these deaths that change the game, you have to pretty much initiate the death yourself which pretty much loses all appeal it previously had.

I'm not a serial Sim killer either....well not unless I've created a private detective who's trying to track down the Black Widow of Oasis Springs or something.

I'm just so tired of removing all the things that make the game unpredictable and for some of us fun.

I bought GTW for the aliens and the alien abductions....so now I've had one Sim abducted and no alien pregnancies. The game didn't come with a cemetery and I created my own....then came the empty graves. I like the unpredictability of all kind of things happening. I'm not a micro manager, I'm not obsessive about controlling every freaking little thing these Sims do and I just want some consequences!

That was the reason I bought GTW as well, I didn't really care about the active careers or stores, I just wanted aliens! The nerf in abductions ruined the expansion for me and the only time I ever see aliens is when it's alien night at the bar.

The game is so carebear it's ridiculous. I understand some people don't want anything negative to happen to their Sims, ever, but couldn't they add toggles instead of destroying what makes these games fun for a lot of their players?

The game already has an option to turn death off. So if you really don't want your Sims to die....there it is.....no problem.

I thought that was just to keep people dying of old age? I didn't think it prevents accidental deaths.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I don't know of a way to turn off deaths without a mod. Except to turn of aging, but that only prevents old age deaths. Was something added?
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »
    Hmm, instead of making everything safe, why not add things like firemen, or if a sim gets burnt, ambulance? I'd love to be able to take my sims to the hospital to get treated for anything bad like burns or sicknesses. Low skills should mean more danger, as usual. And there could be a small chance that the doctors can't save your sim, but bigger chance unless you just leave your sim to tend for themselves. Not everything has ot be lethal, but I'd love to be able to take my sim to the hospital. Just don't make everything safe. It's boring.

When I was first introduced to The Sims (TS3) I remember having one of my Sims try to repair her laptop. She had no handiness skills and she got a shock. I have to tell you I got really anxious about that. I really liked this Sim, I didn't want her to die and it worried me. So I figured out that if I didn't have her go back and try the repair again she wouldn't get shocked again.

I was emotionally invested in that Sim and I wanted to keep her alive. So I made sure I did. Now, in this game, I don't have to worry about it and I don't get emotionally invested in these Sims either.

It's hard to get emotionally invested in these Sims, I've found. They are just so empty. Not too long ago there was a fire with the chemistry station in the kids' room. I sent the kid outside, Mom put it out, but then there was absolutely no reaction to the fire. Mom couldn't comfort her son after the traumatic experience of a fire in his room. No one even told Dad when he got home. It was like nothing ever happened at all. And that was the only fire I've ever had. I've never had a kitchen fire, no matter how low my skill was, or how low level the store was.

They don't care if another Sim dies right next to them. They don't care no matter what happens. They have the exact same whims and reactions to things no matter what traits you give them. There is no difference between any Sim you make.

And really, if I wanted to play a game where my character makes so many ridiculous faces that I seriously want to slap them, I'd just play this:
    2597254-the+mask+eu+box+art.jpg
  • Options
    Piperbird wrote: »
    I don't know of a way to turn off deaths without a mod. Except to turn of aging, but that only prevents old age deaths. Was something added?

When I first got the game I used this cheat to test it and I had no deaths at all. I don't know if it's been changed but I had no deaths when I used it.

"death.toggle" : Toggles the true/false value of death – when off, death is disabled and no sims will die.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    siruspoigsiruspoig Posts: 45 Member
    When I was first introduced to The Sims (TS3) I remember having one of my Sims try to repair her laptop. She had no handiness skills and she got a shock. I have to tell you I got really anxious about that. I really liked this Sim, I didn't want her to die and it worried me. So I figured out that if I didn't have her go back and try the repair again she wouldn't get shocked again.

I was emotionally invested in that Sim and I wanted to keep her alive. So I made sure I did. Now, in this game, I don't have to worry about it and I don't get emotionally invested in these Sims either.

I get you. You want it to be more chaotic and less predictable. I do love a bit of chaos. It must be hard to try and balance the game play for those who want an escapist utopia, those who want random carnage, and everything in between.

Is there a mod that increases/decreases events like fires/abductions/deaths?
    jVeZzD.gif
  • Options

When I first got the game I used this cheat to test it and I had no deaths at all. I don't know if it's been changed but I had no deaths when I used it.

"death.toggle" : Toggles the true/false value of death – when off, death is disabled and no sims will die.

I didn't know that was a thing. I wonder if the game come automatically set to 'off'. :)

I've only ever had two death in the game (other than random old age). The first was a neighbor that walked into my house (uninvited) and died. The Reaper came and got him, and my Sim family didn't even look up from dinner.

The second was an elder that I kept forcing to woohoo even though they were exhausted. I had to force the death. His girlfriend stood on his corpse and flirted with the Reaper, and after the Reaper was gone, she went on with life as if nothing ever happened.

This is why I mostly stick to building now.
  • Options
    A couple days ago, I started a new fresh file (and lost all my old saves & hard work :'( )
    The first time I had my Sim cook, a simple meal at that, this is what happened.

What gets me ticked off, is no firefighters - because unless I tell them to extinguish themselves, they die! :/
    (has happened in the past, more than once)

In the past games I've played, they NEVER start a fire IF they have the trait for cooking (forgot the exact name).
    That trait purposely is designed so they never start a fire while cooking, and I used to like it for that (besides the better cooking quality).
    This time I wanted to try different traits, so there came the fires.... :s

I first noticed it in my game yesterday. The stove turned off when she walked away. I had to test it today to see if it was a glitch with one Sim. I have three adults in the house and the stove turned off for all three of them when I had them walk away to do something else. They actively turned the stove back on to finish cooking when they returned to it.

• Options
    siruspoigsiruspoig Posts: 45 Member
    ... His girlfriend stood on his corpse and flirted with the Reaper, and after the Reaper was gone, she went on with life as if nothing ever happened...

Well, that's not cool. :o
    jVeZzD.gif
  • Options
    siruspoig wrote: »

I get you. You want it to be more chaotic and less predictable. I do love a bit of chaos. It must be hard to try and balance the game play for those who want an escapist utopia, those who want random carnage, and everything in between.

Is there a mod that increases/decreases events like fires/abductions/deaths?

This is the thing though......Kitchen fires were in the base game. Alien abductions and male pregnancies came in GTW. They've been changed. I'm sure that there are mods that do that but my point is I shouldn't have to mod in things that came in the game.
  • Options
    siruspoig wrote: »
    ... His girlfriend stood on his corpse and flirted with the Reaper, and after the Reaper was gone, she went on with life as if nothing ever happened...

Well, that's not cool. :o

04-05-15_9-33nbspPM_zps7ykbgglk.png
  • Options

I didn't know that was a thing. I wonder if the game come automatically set to 'off'. :)

I've only ever had two death in the game (other than random old age). The first was a neighbor that walked into my house (uninvited) and died. The Reaper came and got him, and my Sim family didn't even look up from dinner.

The second was an elder that I kept forcing to woohoo even though they were exhausted. I had to force the death. His girlfriend stood on his corpse and flirted with the Reaper, and after the Reaper was gone, she went on with life as if nothing ever happened.

This is why I mostly stick to building now.

I had to turn it off so I think the game came with death on.

I know some things changed as the game developed but this is what was said at Sims camp (pre release).

http://www.thesimsresource.com/content/view-post/post/25898/page/5/🐸🐸🐸🐸/5/

Speaking of which, EA have changed their philosophy on death for Sims 4. They realized that some things in previous games made death almost not fair and as funny as it was to die by having a satellite land on you from above, it just wasn't right. In Sims 4, death will only ever be a result of your actions, or age, and before a Sim does die from your actions, there will be plenty of warning signs before the event occurs! One thing for sure though; depressed Sims will not commit suicide! EA had no desire to 'gamify' tragic events.
  • Options
    A couple days ago, I started a new fresh file (and lost all my old saves & hard work :'( )

What gets me ticked off, is no firefighters - because unless I tell them to extinguish themselves, they die! :/

In the past games I've played, they NEVER start a fire IF they have the trait for cooking (forgot the exact name).
    That trait purposely is designed so they never start a fire while cooking, and I used to like it for that (besides the better cooking quality).

I first noticed it in my game yesterday. The stove turned off when she walked away. I had to test it today to see if it was a glitch with one Sim. I have three adults in the house and the stove turned off for all three of them when I had them walk away to do something else. They actively turned the stove back on to finish cooking when they returned to it.

I hadn't played the previous Sims games before, and when I started playing Sims 3 this past fall I was shocked when I interrupted their cooking to answer the phone and suddenly I had a fire, because in 4 that never happened. I didn't realize a lot of the shortcomings 4 has until I played 2 and 3, and now I can't unsee them. I just can't go back to the level of contentment I once had with 4 now that I know how hollow it really is.

I'll bet you've noticed a lot more than lack of kitchen fires. I really do want to like TS4. They are just making it so difficult.
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member

I hadn't played the previous Sims games before, and when I started playing Sims 3 this past fall I was shocked when I interrupted their cooking to answer the phone and suddenly I had a fire, because in 4 that never happened. I didn't realize a lot of the shortcomings 4 has until I played 2 and 3, and now I can't unsee them. I just can't go back to the level of contentment I once had with 4 now that I know how hollow it really is.

I'll bet you've noticed a lot more than lack of kitchen fires. I really do want to like TS4. They are just making it so difficult.

Oh yes, I noticed a lot more. The older games made me realize how dull and lifeless the TS4 Sims are. I want to still like TS4, and I still hold out some hope things will improve, but lately I log on, play for maybe 20 minutes, get frustrated by what's missing and go play one of the other games.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yeah A fire hasn't started in a long time, Since I bought Get Together the last time there was a fire was when I first lit the bonfire.

I want to burn down an entire house, but it hasn't been working.
    I lit every fireplace, put flammable objects near the fireplaces, nothing
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Yeah A fire hasn't started in a long time, Since I bought Get Together the last time there was a fire was when I first lit the bonfire.

I want to burn down an entire house, but it hasn't been working.
    I lit every fireplace, put flammable objects near the fireplaces, nothing

I think that got nerfed as well. People complained and now fireplaces don't start on fire.

The Christmas trees don't go up in flames either like in TS2.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    It's been like that since day one. Fires occur randomly now and the stove just turns off when they walk away.

They made it harder to make death happen. Death by electrocution and cowplant is pretty much pointless because you have to force it to happen instead of it just happening.

I'm not sure why they went with this design choice.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    It's been like that since day one. Fires occur randomly now and the stove just turns off when they walk away.

They made it harder to make death happen. Death by electrocution and cowplant is pretty much pointless because you have to force it to happen instead of it just happening.

I'm not sure why they went with this design choice.

I can't remember the last time I had a death by electrocution.....it was probably in TS3 before they nerfed that.
  • Options
    glorificaglorifica Posts: 258 Member
    i actually signed up to this forum to complain about death not being deadly enough. there should be an option to turn on spontaneous death or to make death deadlier.

in s2 i had a pregnant sim, i had not played lots of s2 and so my sim was miserable during pregnancy, i just couldn't keep up with her needs. she was at home alone on her last day of pregnancy, her husband was off to work and she was really hungry and had to pee and while she was cooking labour started. she stopped cooking, had her baby, cried, peed herself, cried again, then a fire in the kitchen started - by that time i was panicked at the speed of bad things just unraveling before my eyes - and my sim caught on fire and died. i immediately called her husband home from work to plead for her life, but grim was quicker and before i knew it, the husband came home to find his wife gone and his baby alone with grim. i cried with the husband and at the same time i got so connected to him and the baby.

another issue is the cowplant. i LOVED s3 cowplant and i DESPISE s4 cowplant. why oh why do sims NEVER die on their first attempt at eating the cake? and not even that, the also NEVER get the urgo to eat the cake on their own while they have the drained-moodlet. (there is a mod for this, but since so many other issues have me fed up with playing s4, i haven't gotten to enjoy that mod yet.)

also in s3 i liked playing households with 8 sims where i gave them all very diverse traits and then never controlled anyone and just watched what would happen. sometimes i'd give the 8 sims just 3 murphy beds and a very narrow kitchen, a fireplace, a gellybeanplant, a cowplant, a sodamachine, a narrow long pool with just one place to enter (ie all objects that could potentially kill sims) and wait and see what happens. they were dropping like flies. in my fire game like this after 24simhours there were 3 deaths. i've tried the same thing in s4 and it's boring as hell. noone drowns, noone burns, noone fights (traits do not matter at all!!), they just walk through each other and live their happy shallow lives. i hate it.
    simming on through.
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    The entire game is nerfed, designed for 4 years old children.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    etSrJDd.png <this is the 2nd of two fires I had in my game
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member
    @PHOEBESMOM601 .. Are we playing the same game ?

I just love watching peeps complain about the different things that go on with their Sims game play. I truly think that the programmers that decide what and how much and when actually, listen to what is being said here the forums in this game. We may think they don't sometimes, but they do. Prime example, is.. was the free will woo-hooing.. For my playing game style, I loved it.. I loved the challenge that they would also woo hoo with just about any other adult.. but then sooo many people whined about it, and now .. since the ' fix for it ' my married couple in my legacy game has only done this TWICE without my initiating them to woo-hoo. And for me, that is sad.

If you are wanting a kitchen fire.. but a GrillZone by Grill Mania .. lol, I am constantly having to replace it because of fires.. and I don't dare let one of the adults cook on it.. for some reason, she has started two fires cooking on it. She gets to texting on her phone, and forgot she was cooking. One of the fires were so bad, that the fire went thru the wall, and burnt a picture hanging there as well as an easel and even the fridge. And all the rest of my family would do, was run around like a chicken with their heads cut off out to the end of the lot. So needless to say.. when the Grill icon pops when I tell her to eat.. I make her go eat a yogurt instead.

@MocaJava If you are wanting alien abductions.. have one of your Sims lvl up high enough in the Scientist career .. to build and upgrade the Satellite Dish. Any other Sim can also use it, at least the lot members can.. In my legacy, only the heirs are allowed to use it. Sometimes, after it is clicked, the sim will want to call the aliens .. don't let them. Nor have I ever clicked detect aliens.

And as for being ill .. just as soon as I see them showing with thoughts or moodlets.. they get their medicine.. I have lost 2 sims because they have been sick :( The first Sim was proposing to his girlfriend to marry her.. and before he got done asking her.. lol, he died ! At the time when he was sick, I was not following his moodlets that good and so he died, and became good friends of the Grim. They both had the giggles when they died, which I later found out, it was because they were sick.

Something else that may stir up some actions with consequence .. make a club.. all mischief or mean actions .. and see what happens. Take this same club group to the park, or to a bar! .. Do you have painters in your house ? Have one sim get angry and paint some angry pictures, and place them around in the house.. where there is a lot activity.. like the bathroom, and or kitchens.. and see what they will do.. lol, I had to remove the few angry pictures I had hanging .. way too many angry sims.

Most of all.. let your sims do what ' they ' want.. don't restrict their life with mods, or hacks.. I am playing Pinstar's legacy game.. so I play my sims game the way it was installed on my computer.. and I can not say it enough, that I am having way to much fun with my Sims. There is no way this game is the same ole.. same ole .. boring game.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top