Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who nerfed kitchen fires and when did this happen?

PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
Like the title says when did kitchen fires get nerfed? Devs you've taken away meteor and falling satellites, we have to wall up pools to get a drowning. When I set my Sim to repair an electronic item they just develop the handiness skill. If my Sims get sick it's no longer serious. No guinea pig bites and no deaths by scary ghosts.

Yesterday my Sim started to cook and then, as usual was distracted by something. This time a lump of clay. She walked away from the stove to fiddle with the clay and I thought uh-oh, better get her back here. Then my deviant nature kicked in and I thought....no...let's get some kitchen fire drama going.

I watched and waited.....and waited....and waited. No smoking food, no fire...nothing. A suspicion touched my mind and I thought no....it can't be. I brought my Sim back to the stove to finish the meal....and I watched......yes......plum, plum, plum, plum!!!!!! She lit the burner and finished cooking!!!

She, or something, had turned off the stove when she walked away!

Aw come on devs! I keep trying to like this game and you keep making it harder for me to do that.

ETA I did go back today and test. Yes my kitchen fires are gone. I tested with every Sim in the house and the burner was turned off each time.
"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

Comments

• Options
    QDog wrote: »
    These sims have gotten too smart lol first the learn to get out of the pool without a ladder and now they turn off the stove before walking away. All these fire prevention books in the sims 3 must have worked lol

Now on a serious note, I do miss random deaths and challenges. It's like the have baby proofed the game....kitchen fires do occur but they are random and there is nothing you can do to start them. Also the chances of it happening are very slim...

Yes on another serious note I keep trying to like this game and then I discover something else like this and I don't open the game for months.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    KatsKats wrote: »
    I agree. They've made the game too safe for the Sims. It wasn't like a meteor or satellite killed them every few seconds. It really makes it pointless to have alarms at all. I miss the occasional burglar, too. Instead we get neighborhoods flooded with ghosts and clowns. I'm not liking that trade off.

And they aren't even haunting, scary ghosts. If we had a cowardly trait....that actually worked.....and had scary ghosts we might see some fainting and scared to death.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited May 2016
    These sims have gotten too smart lol first the learn to get out of the pool without a ladder and now they turn off the stove before walking away. All these fire prevention books in the sims 3 must have worked lol

Now on a serious note, I do miss random deaths and challenges. It's like the have baby proofed the game....kitchen fires do occur but they are random and there is nothing you can do to start them. Also the chances of it happening are very slim...

Yes on another serious note I keep trying to like this game and then I discover something else like this and I don't open the game for months.

If you want to spice up your game I suggest CC and mods. There is a mod for more frequent fires and another mod for deadlier fires (they spread faster and they also kill faster). I believe they are available at Mod The Sims.
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member

If you want to spice up your game I suggest CC and mods. There is a mod for more frequent fires and another mod for deadlier fires (they spread faster and they also kill faster). I believe they are available at Mod The Sims.

I'd rather see it where the game actually had consequences instead of living in happy, happy la la land and mods had to be used to prevent fires.
    So true...
    My theme song for TS4
    http://youtu.be/RqbpzEHuO2g
  • Options
    siruspoigsiruspoig Posts: 45 Member
    IDK, I found the transform objects option on the freeze ray gun particularly flammable.
    jVeZzD.gif
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    We already have this game do we need two of them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04gEZxicoYA

It seems that TS4 is the PC version of this. I guess this is the age group it's geared towards now.
  • Options
    siruspoig wrote: »
    IDK, I found the transform objects option on the freeze ray gun particularly flammable.

But I'm talking about just a plain old fashioned kitchen fire. It's unbelievable what's happening to this game.

I see why we don't have firemen. They won't have anything to put out.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I remember watching The Sim Supply do a livestream(?) and he was trying to kill Don Lothario by fire in a small room filled with rugs, chairs, and a fireplace. He actually died of hunger before anything caught on fire :grimace:
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    My experience is a bit different. I've been trying to keep my family alive (legacy challenge) and had one eaten by a cow plant (it was on a communal lot, my bad) and the other died from laughter when another sim wet themselves at her 21st birthday (she had the evil trait). That's two unwanted deaths so far.
    I agree with you that there are less of them, but I prefer that. I used to make my TS3 sims make salads until higher skilled just to avoid replacing burn kitchen furniture.
    jVeZzD.gif
  • Options
    I think they just nerfed death all together. I wouldn't necessarily say I kill all of my sims, but I do enjoy when some of them come to an unfortunate end. Unfortunately, The Sims 4 doesn't even allow that.

Pretty much any and all deaths in TS4 require the player to put in a significant amount of effort and time just to get their sim to die. We know they nerfed emotional deaths, which are now incredibly tedious to execute in game (literally I have never been able to kill a sim by emotion, and I've tried several times). I've never had a sim even be electrocuted, let alone killed by electricity. Starvation takes FOREVER, even once their hunger bar is severely low.

Elder deaths are the worst. If we know they'll die from strenuous activity, why on earth should the options to continue doing those activities be greyed out? Should I not have complete control? Should I not be able to force them into death? Apparently not, the developers claim to love the deviant side to the game but at the same time they made keeping your sims alive so unbelievably easy, and removed challenging aspects to make it even easier.

Death was so unpredictable in previous games, and that was fun. It was also devastating, but it was fun at the same time. Now we don't have these deaths that change the game, you have to pretty much initiate the death yourself which pretty much loses all appeal it previously had.

I'm not a serial Sim killer either....well not unless I've created a private detective who's trying to track down the Black Widow of Oasis Springs or something.

I'm just so tired of removing all the things that make the game unpredictable and for some of us fun.

I bought GTW for the aliens and the alien abductions....so now I've had one Sim abducted and no alien pregnancies. The game didn't come with a cemetery and I created my own....then came the empty graves. I like the unpredictability of all kind of things happening. I'm not a micro manager, I'm not obsessive about controlling every freaking little thing these Sims do and I just want some consequences!
  • Options
    My experience is a bit different. I've been trying to keep my family alive (legacy challenge) and had one eaten by a cow plant (it was on a communal lot, my bad) and the other died from laughter when another sim wet themselves at her 21st birthday (she had the evil trait). That's two unwanted deaths so far.
    I agree with you that there are less of them, but I prefer that. I used to make my TS3 sims make salads until higher skilled just to avoid replacing burn kitchen furniture.

How can you possibly have to try to keep your Sims alive? They're like the energizer bunny.....they keep going and going and going.

If you have a cow plant it takes two tries to get them eaten. You have to be completely ignoring what they are doing to have that happen without knowing it's going to happen. Same with emotional deaths. You get warnings.
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited May 2016
    I think they just nerfed death all together. I wouldn't necessarily say I kill all of my sims, but I do enjoy when some of them come to an unfortunate end. Unfortunately, The Sims 4 doesn't even allow that.

Pretty much any and all deaths in TS4 require the player to put in a significant amount of effort and time just to get their sim to die. We know they nerfed emotional deaths, which are now incredibly tedious to execute in game (literally I have never been able to kill a sim by emotion, and I've tried several times). I've never had a sim even be electrocuted, let alone killed by electricity. Starvation takes FOREVER, even once their hunger bar is severely low.

Elder deaths are the worst. If we know they'll die from strenuous activity, why on earth should the options to continue doing those activities be greyed out? Should I not have complete control? Should I not be able to force them into death? Apparently not, the developers claim to love the deviant side to the game but at the same time they made keeping your sims alive so unbelievably easy, and removed challenging aspects to make it even easier.

Death was so unpredictable in previous games, and that was fun. It was also devastating, but it was fun at the same time. Now we don't have these deaths that change the game, you have to pretty much initiate the death yourself which pretty much loses all appeal it previously had.

I'm not a serial Sim killer either....well not unless I've created a private detective who's trying to track down the Black Widow of Oasis Springs or something.

I'm just so tired of removing all the things that make the game unpredictable and for some of us fun.

I bought GTW for the aliens and the alien abductions....so now I've had one Sim abducted and no alien pregnancies. The game didn't come with a cemetery and I created my own....then came the empty graves. I like the unpredictability of all kind of things happening. I'm not a micro manager, I'm not obsessive about controlling every freaking little thing these Sims do and I just want some consequences!

That was the reason I bought GTW as well, I didn't really care about the active careers or stores, I just wanted aliens! The nerf in abductions ruined the expansion for me and the only time I ever see aliens is when it's alien night at the bar.

The game is so carebear it's ridiculous. I understand some people don't want anything negative to happen to their Sims, ever, but couldn't they add toggles instead of destroying what makes these games fun for a lot of their players?

• Options
    I have a big family, I like sitting back and watching, in both those cases I was watching the wrong sims :disappointed:
    jVeZzD.gif
  • Options
    MocaJava wrote: »

That was the reason I bought GTW as well, I didn't really care about the active careers or stores, I just wanted aliens! The nerf in abductions ruined the expansion for me and the only time I ever see aliens is when it's alien night at the bar.

The game is so carebear it's ridiculous. I understand some people don't want anything negative to happen to their Sims, ever, but couldn't they add toggles instead of destroying what makes these games fun for a lot of their players?

The game already has an option to turn death off. So if you really don't want your Sims to die....there it is.....no problem.

• Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I miss those unpredictable elements as well. It made the game more interesting and enjoyable. Sure, it kinda stinks when your house gets hit by a random meteor, but it was also exciting! You could always go back to an earlier save if you didn't want to keep the disasters in your game. The new wishing well added a bit of a risky element to Sims4 though, so that's cool.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    A couple days ago, I started a new fresh file (and lost all my old saves & hard work :'( )
    The first time I had my Sim cook, a simple meal at that, this is what happened.
    2vllcn7.png
    What gets me ticked off, is no firefighters - because unless I tell them to extinguish themselves, they die! :/
    (has happened in the past, more than once)

In the past games I've played, they NEVER start a fire IF they have the trait for cooking (forgot the exact name).
    That trait purposely is designed so they never start a fire while cooking, and I used to like it for that (besides the better cooking quality).
    This time I wanted to try different traits, so there came the fires.... :s
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Agree 100%! I want variation, and The Sims 4 is way too streamlined and predictable. I was very angry with what they did to aliens, as that was one of the reasons I bought GTW. Clearly Maxis is still under the mindset of "if it doesn't work right, let's botch it". This is eerily similar to what they did with SimCity but on a much larger scale, and it absolutely tarnishes this game. If they can't design these new features to work in an acceptable way, then they need new management. There are SO many way they could have changed aliens while still keeping their full functionality, but as usual it was so much easier to just remove their functionality all together.
  • Options
    I have a big family, I like sitting back and watching, in both those cases I was watching the wrong sims :disappointed:

Turn off death until you want an elder to die or have an "accident" happen.
  • Options
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > siruspoig wrote: »
    >
    > I have a big family, I like sitting back and watching, in both those cases I was watching the wrong sims :disappointed:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Turn off death until you want an elder to die or have an "accident" happen.

Accidents will happen :)
    jVeZzD.gif
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited May 2016
    Hmm, instead of making everything safe, why not add things like firemen, or if a sim gets burnt, ambulance? I'd love to be able to take my sims to the hospital to get treated for anything bad like burns or sicknesses. Low skills should mean more danger, as usual. And there could be a small chance that the doctors can't save your sim, but bigger chance unless you just leave your sim to tend for themselves. Not everything has to be lethal, but I'd love to be able to take my sim to the hospital. Just don't make everything safe. It's boring.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top