Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not one good expansion pack?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    Get Together for me has been fun...the DJ booth def brought some memory back from the sims 2 as well as the clubs, plus I love windenburg it's a pretty world. I do hope they continue to add more world's though in the EXP's...I don't remember but did we ever get a world in GTW?. I can't remember it's been a while.
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    Get together added the " Get out the house for once and enjoy your young adult years " memo for the sims, atleast I think. But I mean we have Spa's, Camps, Groups, etc.. but we still can't Improve more on family play? We need some serious Improving for the Immersion-feeling to come back with family play.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited April 2016
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    I just don't know but for some reason till now not one expansion pack of the 2 hooked me up to explore it and whatnot (yes I bought GTW and GT) and found myself rather using more stuff from gamepacks and stuff packs. I just feel like for some reason the expansion packs are rather lacking in either quality, content, or quantity.
    I'm inclined to agree when it comes to OR, Spa Day and GTW. I think with the smaller scaled projects there is more focus while the devs lost direction with the first EP and just stuffed in three fan favourites in an attempt to impress. It's not that I would not enjoy GTW, but I'm under the impression a Business EP, an Active Careers EP and an Alien GP each might have yielded better results. Though I'd only have bought the last of those three, so EA's strategy to milk money out of us alien lovers has worked :'( Whether I rue having bought GTW or not I really cannot say. I certainly use OR content more often.

With GT, from what I read here, there seems to be only love or hate. Judging from the trailer EA doesn't seem to realize themselves what powerful tool they've released there. Marketing it as a dance club EP, lol. The only dance club I have across my saves are the Cheerleaders of the Sim Nation Space Program. Most of the time political partys try to steal members from each other ("We'd be happy if you joined our group") and just the day before yesterday the aliens openly threatened my newly founded household by inviting the poor guy into the Abductee Support Group. Why not state outright, "Hey, we are having an eye on you, just you wait"?

So I'd say GT is a real good, outstanding EP. It delivers to a specific target group (storytellers, sandbox players and, for lack of a better word, "faction/competition players") exactly what they need to enhance their gameplay. Here's fingers crossed that the next EP does the same to another group (Legacy players, perhaps?)!

• Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    I just don't know but for some reason till now not one expansion pack of the 2 hooked me up to explore it and whatnot (yes I bought GTW and GT) and found myself rather using more stuff from gamepacks and stuff packs. I just feel like for some reason the expansion packs are rather lacking in either quality, content, or quantity.
    I'm inclined to agree when it comes to OR, Spa Day and GTW. I think with the smaller scaled projects there is more focus while the devs lost direction with the first EP and just stuffed in three fan favourites in an attempt to impress. It's not that I would not enjoy GTW, but I'm under the impression a Business EP, an Active Careers EP and an Alien GP each might have yielded better results. Though I'd only have bought the last of those three, so EA's strategy to milk money out of us alien lovers has worked :'( Whether I rue having bought GTW or not I really cannot say. I certainly use OR content more often.

With GT, from what I read here, there seems to be only love or hate. Judging from the trailer EA doesn't seem to realize themselves what powerful tool they've released there. Marketing it as a dance club EP, lol. The only dance club I have across my saves are the Cheerleaders of the Sim Nation Space Program. Most of the time political partys try to steal members from each other ("We'd be happy if you joined our group") and just the day before yesterday the aliens openly threatened my newly founded household by inviting the poor guy into the Abductee Support Group. Why not state outright, "Hey, we are having an eye on you, just you wait"?

So I'd say GT is a real good, outstanding EP. It delivers to a specific target group (storytellers, sandbox players and, for lack of a better word, "faction/competition players") exactly what they need to enhance their gameplay. Here's fingers crossed that the next EP does the same to another group (Legacy players, perhaps?)!

Aliens GP? I sure as hell won't pay $20 for aliens lol
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Can you guys please stop commenting "this expansion pack has really cool features, etc...."? This isn't the traget of the thread that just because it includes 1 thing that you love, it becomes the best expansion pack. The aim of the thread is to compare how expansion packs were sold in The Sims 2/3 as complete large packages and how they are in their current state in The Sims 4 half-backed/too little content. Please stick to the topic of the thread =)

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited April 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    It just depends on how you play.

Get Together is still bigger than some EP's from Sims 2/3 that were considered fan favourites (OFB/Generations/FreeTime/ApartmentLife) and Get To Work is literally huge, but can feel small to those who only use certain aspects to it.
    GTW also feels smaller without a full sized world attached but has more new gameplay than Ambitions or Showtime.

I am sorry but I am just done, literally done.

Whatever, it's easily provable.
    I'll clock each pack one by one if you like :)
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Aliens GP? I sure as hell won't pay $20 for aliens lol

Just as I sure as heaven would not cough up $20 for a Retail or an Active Career GP.
    That was my whole point: Focussing on a smaller aspect, be that retail, aliens, active careers, camping, wellness or whatever, enhances the quality of said GP and thus makes the specific target group more happy - and thus more inclined to buy one or two stuff packs. Whereas seemingly randomly thrown together EPs like GTW just serve to put people off.

• Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    I really like GTW. It's the only thing that has really kept my interest in the game. The base game was completely lacking. I have NO interest in parties so I will not be buying GT at any point and can't really speak to that pack.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Can you guys please stop commenting "this expansion pack has really cool features, etc...."? This isn't the traget of the thread that just because it includes 1 thing that you love, it becomes the best expansion pack. The aim of the thread is to compare how expansion packs were sold in The Sims 2/3 as complete large packages and how they are in their current state in The Sims 4 half-backed/too little content. Please stick to the topic of the thread =)

Well, all told? I've used closer to 100% of each EP in Sims 4 so far - I'm about a 75% fan of GTW and 100% for GT. At the end of Sims 3's life span, I actually looked at what I'd bought (none on sale because I buy when I have time to play with things, which never seems to be when they're on sale) and figured that the only EP I used as much as 75% of was Seasons. Most of what I'd bought I used 50% or less. Some, in retrospect, I might as well not have bought at all as I was as much frustrated by them as used them.

The state of EPs is a subjective thing, not an objective one. Yes, GTW retail was lacking home business and its careers need more path and task options. But it still beats all but one Sims 3 EP for me. Evaluating the EPs isn't actually off-topic at all: it's us saying, you know? they aren't all half-baked/too little content as far as we're concerned, and maybe, if comparisons are essential for some reason, some Sims 3 stuff was.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    To all of you who are saying "I can't see myself without blah blah blah". Did I say I didn't like the features? Did I say I prefer playing the game without them? NO! All I said is the expansion packs are not as great as previous iterations so I don't know whatever you said because it is a total different story about the topic.

When people say that, they are saying, "This pack is just as good as other iterations" ... so it is not really a totally different topic, since you initially said that they are lacking in "quality, quantity, or content", and people are just trying to express to you that they found either the quality or the quantity to be sufficient enough for TS4 and what it currently offers.

I understand that you are saying that it is lacking than other iterations, but some people are happy with the trend that EA is setting. I wasn't too happy with GTW, but I did like the retail system (even if it is kinda messy) and GT was a good pack for me, since the club feature (to me) was a really cool feature.

I didn't really like WA/Ambitions, so I enjoyed GTW and GT as expansion packs and found them to be better than those TS3 EP's. I do find the quality of the gamepack better than the EP's, so I think if they made the EP's at the same or better level that they make the GP's, I will be happy.

I do think that TS2 added a lot though ... but TS2 was had Will Wright and stuff, so it was different back then. After TS2 and seeing what was happening with TS3, I am glad to see the improvements with the content in TS4. The base game didn't leave the greatest impression, but I think that the feedback/backlash has made them realise that they can't just do certain things and expect us to not notice or to just sit there ... I think that the content they have released in the past couple of months is good, and I think that it will only get better.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

I will disagree again. I think the EPs in sims 4 add a lot more to the game than ANY in Sims 3. I have them all, and only play with WA, Seasons, and supernaturals. Ambitions was a waste of money. I didn't add Generations until the end of S3 run and found that it added very little to the overall game.

• Options
    snurfles wrote: »
    I really like GTW. It's the only thing that has really kept my interest in the game. The base game was completely lacking. I have NO interest in parties so I will not be buying GT at any point and can't really speak to that pack.
    And you are proving my point that EA has no idea what GT really is. It's real sad how that awful presentation keeps putting off people of that pack. GT is actually about groups of people and how they interact with each other in different ways.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I think the whole game (with or without add ons) is lacking compared to the previous games. In my opinion they added way more gameplay and content in Sims 2 and 3 Expansion packs. GTW became so repeatable and boring with what little gameplay there was. GT was okay at first then it became repeatable. I honestly think it is because of the lack of aspirations and traits. The gameplay is like a mobile app that has mini quests and not mention they are boring. So, in truth the base game is lacking and for me no add ons makes up for that. But in Sims 2 and 3 there was a lot of gameplay and content added to further the base.

Infact, as I am playing Sims 2 again, there is so much to their add ons that it is hard to do everything with just a family. Then you got to remember EA didn't have their hands in the beginning of Sims 2 (will note that you can tell where they began fully when they did get their hands in Sims 2).

Sims 3 had a lot to offer in add ons but not in depth as Sims 2.

Sims 4 will always be the mobile app that went wrong with their tiny add ons (And it is funny Sims Free to Play has more to offer than Sims 4).

So, yes..

I agree OP.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I can't imagine my game without GTW. I had barely been playing when it came out, so it has always influenced my gameplay. Retail stores are the biggest thing for me, I rarely use the active careeres. TBH I rarely use careers at all. For the most part my Sims are either Motherlode Wealthy or they are rags to riches, and you can't really build wealth from a job. (Sadly, like real life.)

GT was awesome for a lot of reasons: Windenberg! New build items allowing for a real country cottage look. Clubs can be so useful. My kiddos all belong to a homework club I started. I built them a club hangout that is a library, but it has most of the kid skill building things and they get to hang out with neighborhood kids. My main Sim has a gardening club that changes direction on the fly, so they can garden or go fishing or have a bbq, etc. It's not just parties all the time.
  • Options
    There seems to be a misunderstanding going on in this thread. I first thought it was about the quality of Sims 4 EPs compared to Sims 4 GPs, because OP stated how much more he got out of a GP and though he enjoys the EPs he feels they are lacking.
    But if it's supposed to be another edition war between 2, 3 and 4 where the result is already determined I'm out of the discussion. I have enough of those in D&D, thank you very much. I'm also too much into Sims 2 to compare it unbiased to any of the other Sims games <3
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »

I will disagree again. I think the EPs in sims 4 add a lot more to the game than ANY in Sims 3. I have them all, and only play with WA, Seasons, and supernaturals. Ambitions was a waste of money. I didn't add Generations until the end of S3 run and found that it added very little to the overall game.

In all honesty here, which had more content Late Night or Get Together?

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    joseiloaizachjoseiloaizach Posts: 298 Member

Get Together is still bigger than some EP's from Sims 2/3 that were considered fan favourites (OFB/Generations/FreeTime/ApartmentLife) and Get To Work is literally huge, but can feel small to those who only use certain aspects to it.
    GTW also feels smaller without a full sized world attached but has more new gameplay than Ambitions or Showtime.

I really like GT, but it does not seem be a complete EP. The only main features are:
    • Clubs (which become annoying and repetitive).
    • Windenburg.
    • Some gameplay objects.
    • That is all.

While in OFB, although there was only one theme, it had activities for ALL ages. You can also unlock new really useful objects and a new creature + A new sub-neighborhood and three skills.

As in Free Time, there were SO MANY new objects. GT only uses a few new objects and most are base game objects. New decorative objects that your Sims can build + new secrets lots for EACH hobby.

Although Apartment Life is my second favorite EP, it is the one that includes less features and can be equated with GT. Since only it includes apartments, a new world, roommates, witches and some gameplay objects, and that's all.

I never played Generations (I stopped playing TS3 after Late Night), but I think it has more objects and more features than GT.

GTW has more features, but badly executed.
    SWB%2BBanner%2BForums.png

♦ Origin ID: joseiloaizach
    ♦ Blog: simwillbuild.blogspot.com
    ♦ Twitter: twitter.com/SimWillBuild
  • Options

I really like GT, but it does not seem be a complete EP. The only main features are:
    • Clubs (which become annoying and repetitive).
    • Windenburg.
    • Some gameplay objects.
    • That is all.

While in OFB, although there was only one theme, it had activities for ALL ages. You can also unlock new really useful objects and a new creature + A new sub-neighborhood and three skills.

As in Free Time, there were SO MANY new objects. GT only uses a few new objects and most are base game objects. New decorative objects that your Sims can build + new secrets lots for EACH hobby.

Although Apartment Life is my second favorite EP, it is the one that includes less features and can be equated with GT. Since only it includes apartments, a new world, roommates, witches and some gameplay objects, and that's all.

I never played Generations (I stopped playing TS3 after Late Night), but I think it has more objects and more features than GT.

GTW has more features, but badly executed.

This ^^^

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    barbaraluv86barbaraluv86 Posts: 131 Member

I am sorry but I am just done, literally done.

Whatever, it's easily provable.
    I'll clock each pack one by one if you like :)

Don't worry, I'll do it for you.
    Genarations

Features
    New CAS features:
    Body hair (Only available for males ages YA and over)
    Catalog expansion pack
    Individual age sliders
    Walking cane for elders

New traits:
    Rebellious
    Nurturing

New Lifetime Rewards:
    Clean Slate
    Hover Bed
    Above Reproach
    Inheritance
    Super Nanny
    Young Again
    Motive Mobile
    Clone Voucher
    Age Freeze

New parties:
    School Dances
    Prom Night for teens
    High school graduation
    Teen house parties
    Bachelor/bachelorette parties (with the return of entertainers)
    New wedding ceremonies
    Slumber parties.
    Field trips for children and teens. (A dialog box appears asking for parental permission.)

New Profession: Daycare

New creature: Imaginary Friend

Boarding School: Sims can send their children and teens to any of 5 specialist boarding schools such as military school, sports academy, art school, hippie school or a posh prep, at each one the sim will learn new skills. The Boarding Schools aren't free.

WooHoo in new places:
    The shower
    Tree house

New memory system:
    Return of memories tracked in a scrapbook (and online) and a feature to make memories. Along with general milestone memories, Sims can record their betrayals. Sims with a reputation of any kind can also view their reputation on these pages.

New Rabbit Hole: Tree House

New Afterschool Activities:
    Children can either attend ballet classes or join the Boy/Girl Scouts. Teenagers can join up to two High School clubs including the sports team, drama club, debate team, school band, student newspaper, and more.

Chemistry:
    Sims can make potions

Cloning:
    Young adult, Adult, and Elder Sims can buy a cloning coupon, this coupon is redeemed at the science facility and when is redeemed the Sim will get a cloned child. This child is identical to the parent.

Costume chest:
    Children can dress up in different costumes.

Other Features/Gameplay Objects:
    Dating returns to the game
    Teen Sims can now be taught to drive by their parents in any vehicle in the household
    Adults can experience a midlife crisis
    Mysterious Mr. Gnome can age and have a "gnome family"
    Teens can pull pranks
    Strollers are available for babies and toddlers
    Bunk beds
    Spiral stairs
    Treehouses
    Slip 'N' Slides
    See-saws
    Strollers
    Improved Weddings
    Video Cameras to capture home family videos
    Children and teens may now have dreams, and get either positive or negative moodlet when they are awake.
    Sims can now ask parents-in-law for their child's hand in marriage.

Get Together has (that Generations doesn't have)
    world(Windenburg)
    clubs feature

Can't count cas/build mode items because the sims 3 didn't limit you at all when being creative with the few clothes and build mode items that generations came with. There are thousands of possibilities with CASt. While the sims 4 you have no other creative option, so the huge amount of cas/build mode items get together has is to compensate for the lack of player controlled creative freedom.

Generations in this case wins this round because it expanded on EVERY lifestage.

Generations has (that Get Together doesn't have)
    new profession
    new creature
    new parties
    new cas features
    More rewards (lifetime wishes)
    Enhanced gameplay objects for EVERY life stage

If the club feature is what makes the little features introduced in GT >> than Generations, than that is all preference. Because I didn't need the club feature in my open world gameplay. But I DID need life stages to be fleshed out more because that is WAY more important to my gameplay. Even Generations didn't do that well in that department to me but compared to GT which has a grouping system instead of actually making my teens look and act like teens? Generations>>>>>> Get Together. If they added that club grouping feature in University, that would have been a good feature to play with cliques, sororities etc.

Let's continue on. Open for Business

Open For Bussiness

New neighborhood type:

The Shopping District- Bluewater Village

New Creature: Servo

New Build Mode Objects(More Than 125 New Items):

New elevators
    Domed, conical and octagonal roofs in different sizes
    New awnings
    Display cases
    Beauty salon chair
    Toy workbench
    Floral station
    Cash registers

Talent Badges System:

Sales
    Register
    Restocking
    Cosmetology
    Flower Arranging
    Robotics
    Toy Making

Other Features:

New Wants and Fears and interactions were added
    New Lifetime Want and several new interactions for children.
    Doors are now lockable.
    Self Employment (Run businesses from home)
    Players can choose a mascot, customize a menu, and sell almost any object available in the game.
    "Mystery Shopper" may visit your business and critique it.

The overarching theme of OFB is running your own business. Just like Get Together's only theme is making and joining clubs, OFB does the same with business. Again preference plays a part in opinions but they both do what they set out to do, so it is a tie. Personally OFB>>>>>>>>GT because running a business at home is the best thing to ever happen to the sims series. EVER. Especially if the worlds are closed. I can be a homebody and earn money at the same time!

I still laugh at the fact you still think GTW is bigger than Ambitions. Objectively, no. I will post what I posted in another topic
    Ambitions

New town: Twinbrook

New creature: SimBot

New mode: Renovation Mode

New Build mode abilities: modify the pitch of individual roof sections and add multistory columns.

New CAS clothes and hairstyles for female and male sims.

3 new skills:
    Sculpting
    Inventing
    Tattooing

Careers & professions
    5 new professions:
    Architectural Designer
    Firefighter (can follow sim to work)
    Ghost Hunter (can follow sim to work)
    Investigator
    Stylist.

New career track, education, and new features added to the existing medicine career track

Ability to register at City Hall to be self-employed in a "Skill Career" for the following skills: writing, painting, sculpting, inventing, photography, nectar making, gardening and fishing.

On-the-job choices now change the town and affect other Sims as well. Players modify the town’s structure as an architect or set neighborhood fashions as a stylist.

New lifetime wishes:
    Home Design Hotshot
    Descendant of da Vinci
    Fashion Phenomenon
    Firefighter Super Hero
    Paranormal Profiteer
    Pervasive Private Eye
    Monster Maker

New Lifetime rewards:
    Fireproof your home
    Career cash booster
    Artisan crafter
    Professional Simolean Booster
    Efficient Inventor
    Entrepreneurial Mindset, Suave Seller
    Fireproof Homestead
    My Best Friend

New objects:
    fire engine vehicle
    personal fire extinguisher
    detonation packs
    tattoo chair
    lockpicking kit
    trampoline
    Gnubb set.

Six new traits:
    Savvy Sculptor
    Eccentric
    Dramatic
    Eco-Friendly
    Perceptive
    Born Salesman/Saleswoman

Other Features/Content:
    Addition of the consignment shop as a place for Sims to sell their own items (collectibles, sculptures, etc.)
    Overhauled real-estate system that lets the player purchase and upgrade any community lot building.[16]
    New laundry system.
    New Death: death by meteor
    New vehicle type: Motorcycle
    Messages that appear on the right side of the screen are more organized.
    New lots including the consignment store, junkyard, hangout, laundromat, and fire station
    New songs
    Earthquakes have been added to the game.
    Child sims can run bake sales to make money

Ambitions added more jobs, traits and rewards than GTW. Some of the jobs such as firefighter and stylists you can actively follow your sims to work. It also added 9 new self employment jobs. Let's not forget it has cars which the sims 4 does not. It added a new death, earthquakes, motorcycles, new vehicles and 5 new community lots. (Consignment store, junkyard,hangouts, laundromat, and a fire station.) Can not even compare the tiny world of MP and that alienworld to twinbrook. Let's not go there. You can never speak objectively. AT ALL. If you love GTW more than Ambitions, that is totally fine. But objectively speaking, Ambitions had way more offered than GTW. No, I did not forget the half baked attempt of OFB retail system that came with GTW. That was a fail in my eyes and I compare that aspect of it, to the self employment Ambitions added. Which in a closed world is ideal to me. If you want to count CAS/Build Mode objects then compare that to CASt and Body Shop which creative minds can outproduce better and more results than Maxis. Either way I disliked both expansions.