Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Boycotting Maxis Faves

MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
I am so tired of people re-uploading my houses and maxis faves being such poor designs. It's an insult to the creative community who have kindly shared their lots on the gallery so the average role players have nice houses to play in. We support the entire community with our designs which have just gotten better and better.

From now on, I will only share base houses, and will not support any expansion packs till something is done to reward the designers instead of this slap in the face everyday when maxis faves a marginal lot or pulling our lots off retroactive to a new rule.

Also I suggest we flag poor creations in maxis curated gallery as offensive - offensive to the community who work hard to support their game.

Comments

• Options
    SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    When I see a pretty boring lot faved, I just keep scrolling on and sigh a little bit. Yes, its frustrating I know but its not our choice who gets faved. Maybe they want to be fair to all players equally, or maybe they are just a bit lazy, who knows. We must be fair to all players though, some younger or less skilled builders shouldn't be given the boot because they don't live up to our standards. How special would an amazing build look when there isn't anything at the opposite end to contrast with?
  • Options
    rconercone Posts: 407 Member
    When I see a pretty boring lot faved, I just keep scrolling on and sigh a little bit. Yes, its frustrating I know but its not our choice who gets faved. Maybe they want to be fair to all players equally, or maybe they are just a bit lazy, who knows. We must be fair to all players though, some younger or less skilled builders shouldn't be given the boot because they don't live up to our standards. How special would an amazing build look when there isn't anything at the opposite end to contrast with?

OMG SpectorCody I just saw your Falcon and am off to check your builds because ...ITS the Millennium Falcon!!!!!

Mind you I just got sick of seeing crap faved by Maxis over and over that I walked away from the game I barely play now they effectively Killed my Muse I mean how does one get inspired by shell builds or square boxes and so forth when there are so many creative builders like you two I will not even place myself up next to you 2 :D but I have my nitch and was happy with it till I just got worn down by the crapfests getting faved ...sigh
  • Options
    NelcaRedNelcaRed Posts: 322 Member
    I agree! In fact, we shouldn't even have "Maxis Favorites". All creations should earn the rights to be popular by themselves. I find it amazing how selfish Maxis is. They only favorite poor builds or famous youtuber's builds both looks equally ugly. Maxis don't understand creativity, they only understand how to make money!
  • Options
    AmyCarolynAmyCarolyn Posts: 303 Member
    Well this is a disappointing thread to see.

I have been building and trying to get better since day 1 of sims 4 release. I know that my houses are not as good as others but I still spend hours on hours trying to build and learn and grow and hopefully one day get a maxis favorite. I did finally get one about a week ago and I was so excited! That excitement turned to a mild disappointment when I saw how every now and then, in between the congrats that I received, people would post rude comments on the house being ugly or other various comments. I can agree, it wasn't my best build I have done, but nonetheless I was very excited to get my first maxis favorite. What is very disheartening is how others feel the need to rip it apart rather than not saying anything if they don't have anything nice to say.

The point is, while some houses may not be up to your standards, the people who built them may be working very hard and doing the best job that they can do. I think that it is great that Maxis is willing to recognize these efforts as well as favorite other more intricate and highly skilled builds. At the end of the day, this is a game, and everyone who puts in the time in the game is deserving of their moment to feel excited and recognized by maxis. Not just those who believe they are better than everyone else.

I support all maxis favorites. The good, the amazing, and the modest. Behind every build is someone enjoying the game and working hard to make something they feel others may enjoy.
  • Options
    YaraZenYaraZen Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2016
    Thank you so much @AmyCarolyn, I think you found the right words to explain why every Maxis fav is a deserved one. Yes, they might fav creations that aren't the best when it comes to techniques or skills compared to others on the gallery. But this gallery is no competition. It is a place where we can share our creations and enjoy what other players created.

What I like about the Sims is that there is no right and no wrong. Everyone can create the game they want. The sims, the lots, the stories. Again, it is not a competition.
    If it is for some among us, that is ok, too. But please remember those who just enjoy playing and creating. And personally, I am grateful that Maxis remembers the fact that this is a game for everyone and not a race for more followers and downloads.

Like Cody, sometimes I wonder why they fav'd a creation but we don't have to agree with their favs nor do they have to follow the wishes of the active creators among us. Compared to the number of people playing, we are a really small group.
    Post edited by YaraZen on
    Showcase-thread: YaraZen's Creations
    Apologies for any mistakes. English is not my native language. :)
  • Options
    StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    Congratulations @AmyCarolyn on the Maxis fav! :) I know a lot of people are upset because Maxis has designated lots and Sims uploaded with the tray importer as CC. That is no reason to take it out on the people who get Maxis favs. They did nothing to deserve the unkind remarks. I hope you are able to put it all in perspective.
  • Options
    Maxis faves must be done by a robot. While every now and then they fave a nice house, (you can tell by the number of downloads) but often they seem to fav lots that are poorly lit, misaligned windows, offset doors, and no landscaping or furniture. I am sure you have seen these and wondered if it was random. The only remark i have ever made on one i didn't like, was "It's ok". There are some incredibly talented builders however and they deserve to be recognized by the game creators. I personally try to pretend that maxis fave is selected by a toddler, sitting on someone's knee, so i don't boil over with plumb.
  • Options
    Artemis_DreamerArtemis_Dreamer Posts: 200 Member
    As an aspiring builder with a low skill level (which I am working hard to improve), I feel that this thread is unnecessarily harsh.

I very much agree with @AmyCarolyn - every build that Maxis favorites represents a large investment of time and effort on behalf of the builder, regardless of their relative skill level.

The gallery isn't a competition and Maxis favorites are not the be-all and end-all in determining the highest quality works. Maxis is trying to recognize effort above all else. Just because it isn't perfect doesn't mean that it isn't someone's labor of love.
  • Options
    francoesquefrancoesque Posts: 52 Member
    edited April 2016
    I do read this thread with interest, so at long last I shall post.

Disclosure: I've had 2 faves on builds and 1 on a household so far, including one build that was faved recently (last week I think).

I think Maxis faves perform an important curation role for those players who do not want to scour the gallery for hours and want playable lots brought to their attention. That's all. They're not the best lots, the most interesting lots, or the most artistic lots. They're a cross section of good, functional lots that players can use.

We all build for our own reasons. I do it because I enjoy it. Indeed, I think my in game profile just says: "I like to build" and it's true :smile: . I build for myself, my sims and to entertain one or two friends. I gain enough pleasure from this that I am happy to continue building, regardless of how many downloads or maxis faves I get. I like it if people use my builds, or just like the look of them, but it's not why I build.

If you are building for maxis faves or to achieve particular download numbers or such, that's fine by me: part of the joy of the sims is how it supports a range of play.

But we need to bear in mind we're a very small minority. When online, I usually see a minimum of 20,000 users currently online. How many of those are going to be regular gallery lot builders? I'd be surprised if there were more than 800 of us in all: much less online at one time. So say 200 builders are online at any moment (a high estimate I think, but I'll be generous). That's 1% of the population at any given time. So 99% of the simmers are not part of this particular group, even if they build sometimes and share some of these. This is the audience Maxis, quite rightly and understandably are catering for.

I love that some builds on the gallery can be much more than just a house, acting more like an art installation. But then, I like art installations and I know most people would be frustrated or baffled at the idea of spending two hours looking at Abraham Cruzvillegas's "Empty Lot" as I did last year at the Tate Modern, even though it entranced me.

What Maxis chooses to fave and why is entirely their own concern, as they are catering for the majority: not a minority of hardcore builders.

I don't fave every build the people I follow fave - shockingly, our tastes sometimes align and sometimes diverge, but I like that divergence. They may point me in a direction I would not have thought of and that's great! They also nurture and support builders whose style may not appeal to me, but nonetheless has value. I'm all for Sims 4's gallery being a diverse ecosystem.

Maxis are the same: I like some and am indifferent to others. And that is fine. Long may it continue.

My congratulations to anyone out there who gets a Maxis fave, now or in future. Well done! :smiley: Hundreds or thousands (or maybe even hundreds of thousands :wink: !) of other simmers will be able to gain pleasure and play from your work. And that's great. Ignore everything else and enjoy the moment.
    Post edited by francoesque on
  • Options
    PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    I hope this thread didn't discourage you @Artemis_Dreamer and @AmyCarolyn
    You have both made excellent points and I completely agree with you :)

I believe the real issue here is that some people are constantly angry because they
    haven't received a Maxis fav in a long time. That is what it is really about. They are not
    concerned about Maxis ignoring other people's work even though they may claim so.
    This type of thread is hardly new so I'm pretty sure about my conclusions :grimace:
  • Options
    AmyCarolynAmyCarolyn Posts: 303 Member
    @Manssom Thank you and I am not discouraged one bit. :]

Like @francoesque I build because I genuinely enjoy it. Maxis favorites or not, I could build houses all days and never grow tired of it. Getting a Maxis favorite is just a cherry on top of all the work I put into building. It isn't vital in order for me to like what I do. It is just a plus.

And in regards to those who want to boycott because they believe others are unworthy of a Maxis fav, good riddance.
    The building community has been nothing but kind to me as I have tried to do better and better at building challenges. The building community needs people like that who are wanting to build up "newbs" and help inspire them rather than stage a boycott because the "newbs" are included in things. I mean, if people want to talk "insult to the creative community" I find the biggest insult to be telling those who tried very hard to be creative and got a pat on the back for it, that they weren't worthy of that pat on the back. How disheartening.

I would rather have 100 people who were trying to be great builders but kind of missed the mark, than 1 great builder and 99 people who feel defeated.

But anyway, I will get off of my soap box.

[img]http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸.com/r/wltz.gif[/img]
  • Options
    whatever.
  • Options
    bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    Marjia wrote: »
    whatever.

Typical response of someone who hasn't gotten the response they wanted.

In regards to Maxis favourites, I have had one room that has been favourited by Maxis. Is it the best thing I have built - no it isn't. But I am grateful that they recognised one of my creations.

Yes it is frustrating seeing some of the lots/rooms/households that they have favourited. I have found myself thinking on numerous occasions that may newer builds are a lot better than some of these new favourites. But I do not begrudge the creators. All of us have started somewhere and have continued to improve.

The main things are:
    • this is not a competition - if you want to have your builds judged equally against everyone else's, then enter the competitions being run by other builders on the forum, and
    • this is a game that EVERYONE has the right to enjoy.
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• Options
    I'm tired of this. please stop.
  • Options
    bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    Marjia wrote: »
    I'm tired of this. please stop.

You commenced a thread saying you were boycotting Maxis favourites and your reasons for it. What is wrong with people disagreeing with your views and providing their own?
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    There is a lot of spam on the gallery, empty lots with nothing but a mailbox or a lot with a giant sofa.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I wouldn't want my house favored for the sake of them being nice or trying to make me feel equal to everybody. I would want them to favorite it cause they think it's a well built house. It would drive me to build better and improve my building skills.
    giphy.gif