Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Thumbnails in Gallery Question

Comments

• Options
    jaleena1958brendaljaleena1958brendal Posts: 24 Member
    Maxis, please give us a tool similar to what we were using before you disabled it. I know you can make this possible. A lot of people are upset, including me. And I don't think it's fair that players can use poses on their sims and we can use nothing on our rooms and lots. How can that be ok?? You shouldn't allow a certain group who like doing sims, which I grudgingly make only to play the game, to be able to change the EA default poses. And not let us change the EA default picture for rooms and lots. It's only fair. Give us a tool so we can better show off our rooms and lots. Just as those players who create sims.
  • Options
    kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    edited April 2016
    @jaleena1958brendal
    I suppose that these complaints that the creators of sims can use the poses and the creators of the houses can use nothing will be ended very fast by next logical step from the point of view of the Maxis. Poses will be recognised as CC too :)
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    SakuraLeon wrote: »
    Following on from @ehaught58 and @Joolster examples of the horrific EA pictures VS Tray Importer -

EA pic

t0t1t5.png

And my NOCC creation, labeled CC Tray Importer pic -

9t0j03.png

-_-;...

An "birds eye view" screenshot is definitely needed for lots like Parks (and why not other lots?). They pretty much all get a really bad "main" picture because it's always taken from the front. I don't think I have one that I'm happy with!
    It would also be great if we actually were able to chose which picture is the thumbnail picture out of the ones provided, that on its own would be really helpful, especially on lots that tend to take the picture from the "wrong side".
  • Options
    JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    @svlyn I never said custom thumbnails were "tacky". Most of the comments brought up in my posts regarding custom thumbnails were in quotation marks because they're cited descriptions of other people. Both you and merrylmurray have clearly not read my post in full and now you're feeling "attacked" for no reason whatsoever.

My general feeling regarding custom thumbnails is very clearly a positive one, as proven by this paragraph:
    Joolster wrote: »
    I'd much rather be surrounded by happy builders who are "amplifying" their lots' "attractiveness level", and perhaps getting extra "undeserved" (according to some people in this thread) 1,000 downloads/favs, than be surrounded by unhappy builders who spent 9 hours on a house that'll be photographed from 500 meters away from the wrong side with a boulder blocking half the view, and end up with 80 downloads. Happy creators tend to create more, and improve as a result. How is that a bad thing?

I talked from a builder's perspective there because I identify as a builder, but same goes for other creators.

• Options
    petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    I've been trying to understand from Maxis' point of view, the reason why Maxis would suddenly consider creations with custom thumbnails to be using CC. Of course, it would be nice if they would just come out and explain the reasoning behind their decision.

Anyway, the more I think about this, the more I think that this may the reason why creations with custom thumbnails are being considered as CC creations. The reason I think is, that by using the tray importer to change the picture, you are directly modifying the .bpi files in the case of builds and the .hhi files in the case of sims with a third party software application.

As you know, in the Sims 4, a lot consists of 1 blueprint file, 1 trayitem file, and at least 4 .bpi files (more if you have multiple floors). A sim consists of 1 householdbinary file, 1 trayitem file, 1 .sgi file and 2 .hhi files. Often times the custom thumb makes these files 2-3 times larger than the original files.

By using a custom pose, you are not altering these files. Uploading a sim in a custom pose is not different than uploading a sim in a default pose. Therefore, the reason why they are not flagged as cc.

Comparisons with Sims 3 are moot, as the files are not the same (all that appears in your library are the .package file, the custom images from the UIC are not apart of the library) and the exchange is external.

I really do hope maxis can come up with a way to enable us to take the pictures for the thumbnails, rather than have the game do it for us. It is so needed and has been asked for by players for going on two years.

sigg.gif

• Options
    EfffingtonEfffington Posts: 63 Member
    I dislike this. It's difficult to tell what a household looks like with the default pics. Same with lots. What's it really hurting to have an enhanced view of the item you're downloading? If a person doesn't like or doesn't trust a custom pic, then don't download it. It's simple. I don't feel there needs to be EA interference. I thought the gallery was there to express the players' creativity? Apparently you can't be too creative, we must all fit into the same mold. This completely ruins my perception that the Sims 4 was a game to express creativity. It can be quite difficult to get your work noticed when the default pics do not show the character of the downloads.
  • Options
    merrylmurraymerrylmurray Posts: 14 New Member
    Maxis... give us all an image maker that allows all creators in sims to be able to show their creations the way they should be. Rooms are hardest hit, then sims... both with the grayed out void behind them. House builders need better choice of camera shots, but have had the benefit of a multicolored, landscaped backdrop to their build. In sims 2, (not sure of sims 3), builds were saved with no backdrop at all, just a grayed out void, much the same as rooms & sims are now. So please Maxis, bring color back to the gallery, not just for houses, but for rooms & sims as well... Cheers everyone... :D
  • Options
    doertespielerdoertespieler Posts: 4 New Member
    Try to convince MAXIs #blankimage
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited April 2016

I don't bother using the Gallery anymore, because it's become such a mess.
    A shame too, because it seemed like such a good idea for awhile
    :/
    Post edited by LatteCrab on
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited April 2016
    I am reading all these comments and such about this so called Image Importer, but no clue as to why others are getting personal with insults and such, each person has their own opinions and are entitled to them, so attacking others is just not right, and as for this so called Image Importer, I never used it and glad of it , cause apparently I can use My creations in the gallery with out it, whether they had CC or not, So are you all saying that the Creations we made over a yr ago with CC is now illegal in the game? if so that is so lame, and that would make me very mad, cause then I would have to get rid of a
    lot of My creations, but I know I have never used this Importer thing, I only made My sims with clothes or hair I found that looked better, nothing to do with pictures though, I have not used any CC in over a year, so I should be okay, the stuff I made over a yr ago with CC has already been marked, My No CC stuff I mark as No CC anyway.
    Post edited by BlueBlack007 on
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Nothing has changed with regard to CC that you may have already used @BlueBlack007, and Maxis isn't deleting anything from the gallery. They are simply marking existing creations as having CC that have thumbnail images that were generated by the Tray Importer tool. It is a relatively new tool that was created by a third party (not Maxis).

Non-CC creators chose to use it because in TS3, there was a similar third party tool, and using images generated from it never caused a creation to be considered CC. Indeed, Maxis curated many creations that had custom thumbnails. Thus, it came as a surprise to us that they were handling it this way in TS4.

This forces a tough choice on creators who would prefer to be viewed as completely CC free. Many of us are pulling our creations and re-uploading them without the Tray Importer images, having to once again live with the bad default gallery images and losing whatever downloads/favorites we had in the process.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    SpicyfaceSpicyface Posts: 32 Member
    Hello Simmers, am only now and here because I currently am involved more in the German forum on this topic.

In fact, I have employed me at the moment even once as the creator of the house and room with the tray Importer and desse ways but generally work CC-free.

It is so that the tray Importer shows me all the pictures that have been stored in my library of me. So also, I got myself via download from others.

It is therefore possible with the tray Importer to superimpose the download and allow the creation of other creators with my own pictures and then upload them to my library.

However, I have to say the following. I have not uploaded "this" as edited image in the gallery. Whether this is possible, I have not tried. But if it is possible to imagine you've once the infinite possibilities of unwanted images in the background of this prior uploads.

I am also thinking of the many minor children who are already in the gallery in search of beautiful things.
    Sometimes you will be amazed how well or better the children deal with such things as some adults and seniors (like me) ;)

From this point of view, I can understand the procedure of Maxis, but it annoys me still, why no opinion is to be done here.

There are, to my mind, given to "many" sites with statements and information about extensions, add-ons and updates.

Many of these providers it might also interpret every time something different than it is simply to have a link.

Therefore, I take the liberty to ask a few specific questions to me here again because it was repeatedly emphasized that read along here in the forum Sim gurus who are taken directly from EA.

1) Why are Maxis on this issue no message out WHY they have so and not done differently?

Many of the users would be able to then perhaps better understand and follow.

It leaves a lot of room for discussion and especially speculation.

2) Can Maxis not even "one" website provide where subjects can be taken that do not belong to the FAQ?
    And - then just such opinions of Maxis on these topics appear on the. So where really EVERYONE can then read about this "exceptional" topic.

3) Why Maxis has generally permitted only through the "MOD Folder", the CC can be brought into play?

Why they are not as consistently to remove the mod folder of the game and thus generally can find all CC's only no access to the game.
    (Here is my personal impression that this might be a side effect for financial Maxis.)

Against the backdrop of all these infinite possibilities - it would have been better at Sims 4 not from the beginning, you keep this function deactivated? Then we would not today maybe this discussion about CC's and Custom Thumbnails. (is it the same?) :o

If already consistently, but then please for all, or not?

It's still a game and should remain so. But- there is a life simulation game and like in real life, the Sims also argue, discuss and then best friends.
    (or not :p )
    Please excuse the occasional error. I use Google for the translation
  • Options
    JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    petalbot wrote: »
    Often times the custom thumb makes these files 2-3 times larger than the original files.

This is incorrect. Tray Importer crops/resizes all imported images to 591x394 pixels, the same size as the default images generated by the Gallery.

I just did it for fun. Not only is my custom image the same pixel size when imported, it's actually LESS in size than the original (original was 277KB, custom is 159KB).
    petalbot wrote: »
    By using a custom pose, you are not altering these files. Uploading a sim in a custom pose is not different than uploading a sim in a default pose. Therefore, the reason why they are not flagged as cc.

The whole notion of "custom" is what's gotten many of us annoyed the most. Actively using a custom pose, something that is not part of the game whatsoever because it was made by Bob in China, is for some reason seen as "less custom" than an image taken using the game camera tool, of the game content, but from a better angle. They should have come up with a different filtration system for stuff with custom images instead of lumping CC-free content with custom thumbs together with CC-laden content.
  • Options
    RaylionRaylion Posts: 2 New Member
    Now that the gallery has been saved from the naughty boys and girls with their custom thumbnails does anyone else find that it now looks so terribly dull? Just rows and rows of the same poses with the occasional Bear or Darth Vader thrown in to spice things up.

It's quite incredible, they give us all these wonderful tools to make buildings or sculpt faces and yet the presentation of these creations is a small selection of presets that makes everything look the same. Come on Maxis/EA...take us over the finish line and give us some better presentation tools.
  • Options
    NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    Efffington wrote: »
    I dislike this. It's difficult to tell what a household looks like with the default pics. Same with lots. What's it really hurting to have an enhanced view of the item you're downloading? If a person doesn't like or doesn't trust a custom pic, then don't download it. It's simple. I don't feel there needs to be EA interference. I thought the gallery was there to express the players' creativity? Apparently you can't be too creative, we must all fit into the same mold. This completely ruins my perception that the Sims 4 was a game to express creativity. It can be quite difficult to get your work noticed when the default pics do not show the character of the downloads.

I totally agree with this. Very well put.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • Options
    NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    Raylion wrote: »
    Now that the gallery has been saved from the naughty boys and girls with their custom thumbnails does anyone else find that it now looks so terribly dull? Just rows and rows of the same poses with the occasional Bear or Darth Vader thrown in to spice things up.

It's quite incredible, they give us all these wonderful tools to make buildings or sculpt faces and yet the presentation of these creations is a small selection of presets that makes everything look the same. Come on Maxis/EA...take us over the finish line and give us some better presentation tools.

I find it dull too. I don't go there anymore. I just check out the people I follow now.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • Options
    I have never used anything other then the pics in the game, and mine come out okay for my character's, Its because some people have abused a item in the game yet again, that is why it was taken out, if others stopped abusing things, then Maxis and Ea probably would not of had a problem with it and left it in, its the abuser's fault it was taken out.
  • Options
    SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    @BlueBlack007
    I have never used anything other then the pics in the game, and mine come out okay for my character's, Its because some people have abused a item in the game yet again, that is why it was taken out, if others stopped abusing things, then Maxis and Ea probably would not of had a problem with it and left it in, its the abuser's fault it was taken out.

Yes I agree. This happens in all aspects of life. Someone takes it too far and ruins it for the rest of us.

Also, I'm going to venture and guess many of the retroactively flagged items were modified images, whether it be they were photoshopped or had text written across them.
  • Options
    SakuraLeonSakuraLeon Posts: 272 Member
    Well, unlike some, I had all my tray importer uploads flagged and they had no Photoshop done on them. They were simply different angles.

I feel it was an attack considering some people have none or only some creations flagged. And like people feel with poses, I think its un fair to pick on certain people in the gallery.

I would like to know why.
  • Options
    kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    edited April 2016
    @SakuraLeon
    Agree. And sometimes flagged with no reason >:) As in my case where the image was original Gallery's image. My only fault probably was the large amount of downloads and hearts.
    When it comes to works with images from Tray this phenomenon mostly touched creators with large amounts downloads and hearts. Those with numbers of downloads below 400 in many cases escaped unharmed.
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Options
    SakuraLeonSakuraLeon Posts: 272 Member
    That's not what i have noticed. Some creators with uploads a lot more popular than mine haven't been touched by their flagging.

Makes me feel like I'm being picked on in high school =/
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    In My opinion the Poses are CC and should be flagged as such, because they were added to the game, they were not in there already, that is how I feel about it, so the people who claim that their characters are Not CC, actually is if they had to add the Pose for the picture, I use the poses that are already in the game, they are not like the ones added, but at least it is something, so I can say all mine with No CC is just that, and one more thing, I have stopped doing those so called challenges in the game, because it seems to me the ones who do win are the ones who add those poses, basically about the same people keep winning, so I think they are fixed in my opinion, so why bother doing them, I can not add any CC to my game anymore, cause it kept crashing my game, so I have been CC free for over a year, and will probably keep it that way.
  • Options
    SpicyfaceSpicyface Posts: 32 Member
    Hello together

In the german forums we have achieved that one person from EA-Support give us his own opinion. Please read the forum, but also understands that we do not want to call the person's name, so they will not get in trouble with EA.

forums.thesims.com/de_DE/discussion/770573/cc-fuer-selbsterstellte-inhalte-kommunikation-mit-ea/

not to forget the "http...."

Every day I am here and read your posts. I translate that to understand what you write with Google. I would be pleased if you also makes and could become active in the German forum.
    Thank you very much.
  • Options
    Beagler5Beagler5 Posts: 70 Member
    I think some custom thumbnails are disaster that's why I prefer them to be under CC :)
  • Options
    cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    Spicyface wrote: »
    Hello together

In the german forums we have achieved that one person from EA-Support give us his own opinion. Please read the forum, but also understands that we do not want to call the person's name, so they will not get in trouble with EA.

forums.thesims.com/de_DE/discussion/770573/cc-fuer-selbsterstellte-inhalte-kommunikation-mit-ea/

not to forget the "http...."

Every day I am here and read your posts. I translate that to understand what you write with Google. I would be pleased if you also makes and could become active in the German forum.
    Thank you very much.

I took the liberty to link your link ;)
    ccBcpyk.jpg