Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Details on thought bubbles?

Has anyone dissected the thought bubbles? I'd love to understand more about what they mean. Are they OVERALL feelings or like the game itself, are they simply how Sims feel at that moment? Are they both? For example, when a Sims is talking to a good friend they get the Yellow Heart. I assume this means friendship - but does that mean forever or just at that moment? It can be interpreted two ways: 1) Having a good conversation with a friend and 2) I like you as a friend and not in a romantic way. It would be nice to know for sure. It's clear Sims have "wants and desires" and are attracted to other Sims for various reasons. Yes, you can force a relationship, but I like to play organically and let my Sims guide the way.

Comments

• Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    All depends on the situation. I think sometimes they're topics. Sometimes it's reactions to situations. I remember one time my sim was talking to his husband in the bathroom when his daughter came in with her homework to chat. He got a thought bubble with her face and a "no" sign as if to say "Get this kid out please."...lol.

I think romances can happen organically as it were, althoug in my case, I do try to help a bit. Fav one is to get my sim flirty with a steamy shower and hit up a public area to see if they pull any flirty introductions. My sim from last night hit on the local bartender. I didn't even know she was into women, although it could have also been a ruse to try for a free drink...LOL
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I like looking at the thought bubbles sometimes, but I don't know, I think they sometimes don't mean anything.
    I had a kid talk about her favorite animal and Jellyfish would pop up, then another animal would come up and she'd wave her hands in a gesture like "they're okay," then jellyfish would come up again and she'd continue talking. I like to interpret that as something kinda like "Jellyfish are pretty cool. Bears? No, Jellyfish is where it's at." :D
    Sometimes when you see new people on the sidewalk, they'll have a hand truck in their bubble, so it's like they're saying or asking if they've moved in. The most common one is definitely when they talk about bills being a thing, because a stack of papers/the icon for bills comes up as they complain about them.
    The only instance where I'd like to believe thought bubbles meant something out of interactions was when a sim of mine had his ex swing by when he invited his current significant other. To be told, they never really broke up, just sort of drifted apart (so his pink bar was like 0).
    With his current lover, he had a son who just became a teen at the time.
    His ex came by and kept yelling at him, even though he wasn't in an angry mood, or have any traits that'd encourage those actions. (He was Insane, Perfectionist, and Romantic.) What was pretty cool was that his bubbles kept having the icon of a bassinet, a dresser, and a garbage can as he yelled at him. I like to interpret that as "Did you think I wouldn't know you had a kid? Tell me or I'll throw all your clothes away in the trash," or something along those lines. It was a pretty intense fight. :D They ended up not breaking it off cleanly still, but he just never associated with him afterward either.

There are some times where I don't think it means anything, though. I was watching some sims once, and one persistently had a garbage can icon when they were talking, and the other would be like heart, following the icon for "morning sim," then the garbage can guy had that "loves outdoors" icon. What.
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    This made me think about the time in watching a Let's Play that a lady Sim was Sharing The Big News with an old BF. He had the bat icon in his thought bubble, so I took that to mean it was driving him batty. Still stuck on her, eh?
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    There's a lot of different types of thought bubbles. There's one type that shows the sim's aspiration, so it could be an indicator that they want to do something pertaining their aspiration.

There's another one where there's another sim's face on it, meaning that sim likes that other sim, and another with a "no" sign over that other sim, meaning the sim doesn't like the other one.

So, I'd say most of the thought bubbles are how your sim is feeling at the moment.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    It's pretty fun to imagine what the sims are thinking about with those silly topic images haha

Once my two sims had an awkward moment, the 2nd sim had a thought bubble of the 1st sim crossed out ( looks like they don't want to interact with them anymore )
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    uzumouzumo Posts: 1,836 Member
    I thought about the thought bubbles, too.

There are thought bubbles when a sim is sleeping. Those thought bubbles show what they're having a dream about.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Hehehe. 'Rawr, I'm gonna eat you!'
    12-06-14_12-49nbspPM_zpsd16616a0.png
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    ShuffleJ wrote: »
    Has anyone dissected the thought bubbles? I'd love to understand more about what they mean. Are they OVERALL feelings or like the game itself, are they simply how Sims feel at that moment? Are they both? For example, when a Sims is talking to a good friend they get the Yellow Heart. I assume this means friendship - but does that mean forever or just at that moment? It can be interpreted two ways: 1) Having a good conversation with a friend and 2) I like you as a friend and not in a romantic way. It would be nice to know for sure. It's clear Sims have "wants and desires" and are attracted to other Sims for various reasons. Yes, you can force a relationship, but I like to play organically and let my Sims guide the way.

Unfortunately in this particular game they seem to be random which is bizarre. In past Sims games like Sims 3 and 2 the thought bubbles related to what was actually happening, the sims traits, or their mood in that moment. In this game the algorithm seems to just be random. It was one of the things that really bugged me when the sims 4 first released. Something as simple as thought bubbles they couldn't even do right.
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited March 2016
    AuEtENx.jpg
    It shows your sims traits or sims thought at the moment
    picture explainig)
    A guy in the left tried to flirt to one girl in the right (see heart bubble & his facial expression)
    He wanted to have hot romance(see sun bubble) but she keept saying in bubble thought
    'you are a loser' or 'You are not my type'(you can see her body language too)
    And he is waving his hand with awkward facial expression on her back cuz she left him.

Post edited by s1mszzang on
  • Options
    vanee4vanee4 Posts: 119 Member
    > @s1mszzang said:
    > It shows your sims traits or sims thought at the moment
    > picture explainig)
    > A guy in the left tried to flirt to one girl in the right (see heart bubble & his facial expression)
    > He wanted to have hot romance(see sun bubble) but she keept saying in bubble thought
    > 'you are a loser' or 'You are not my type'(you can see her body language too)
    > And he is waving his hand with awkward facial expression on her back cuz she left him.

but I'm as hot as the sun! bahahha

I think it is 50/50 they do mean something but it also depends on our interpretation.
    My boyfriend always gets irritated when the tank bubble comes up, but when we had a conversation about the state of some parts of the worlds are in right now, I told him see now the sims game would show a tank in our speech bubbles and it doesn't mean I want to kill you. He is cool with that one now XD
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    In Sims 2, the thought bubbles were great -- and sometimes hilarious. I still laugh when I recall one single sim who "accidentally" got pregnant after meeting a handsome new neighbor. She called him, and I cracked up when the first "thought bubble" to appear was the baby's pacifier. I knew for sure she was breaking the news to the unsuspecting father-to-be.

In Sims 4, I watch the thought bubbles, hoping to see something similar happen. So far, about all I've detected is that some "dirty joke" seems to involve poultry -- don't think I even want to hear that one. For the most part, the thought bubbles seem random. I often try to imagine what sims are discussing at dinnertime or during other chats. The thought bubbles haven't helped.
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited March 2016
    vanee4 wrote: »
    > @s1mszzang said:
    > It shows your sims traits or sims thought at the moment
    > picture explainig)
    > A guy in the left tried to flirt to one girl in the right (see heart bubble & his facial expression)
    > He wanted to have hot romance(see sun bubble) but she keept saying in bubble thought
    > 'you are a loser' or 'You are not my type'(you can see her body language too)
    > And he is waving his hand with awkward facial expression on her back cuz she left him.

but I'm as hot as the sun! bahahha

I think it is 50/50 they do mean something but it also depends on our interpretation.
    My boyfriend always gets irritated when the tank bubble comes up, but when we had a conversation about the state of some parts of the worlds are in right now, I told him see now the sims game would show a tank in our speech bubbles and it doesn't mean I want to kill you. He is cool with that one now XD
    H97Nxhh.jpg
    He is pregnant now..
    (I am as hot as sun...)
    S7ISCeo.gif
  • Options
    vanee4vanee4 Posts: 119 Member
    > @s1mszzang said:
    > vanee4 wrote: »
    >
    > > @s1mszzang said:
    > > It shows your sims traits or sims thought at the moment
    > > picture explainig)
    > > A guy in the left tried to flirt to one girl in the right (see heart bubble & his facial expression)
    > > He wanted to have hot romance(see sun bubble) but she keept saying in bubble thought
    > > 'you are a loser' or 'You are not my type'(you can see her body language too)
    > > And he is waving his hand with awkward facial expression on her back cuz she left him.
    >
    > but I'm as hot as the sun! bahahha
    >
    > I think it is 50/50 they do mean something but it also depends on our interpretation.
    > My boyfriend always gets irritated when the tank bubble comes up, but when we had a conversation about the state of some parts of the worlds are in right now, I told him see now the sims game would show a tank in our speech bubbles and it doesn't mean I want to kill you. He is cool with that one now XD
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > He is pregnant now..
    > (I am as hot as sun...)

seems he isn't despised by everyone.... xD
    and maybe the hotness he felt only occured due to mood and temperature swings...? lol
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Great topic. I love trying to interpret the thought bubbles. :)
  • Options
    HyunHeeHyunHee Posts: 390 Member
    edited March 2016
    Johnny Zest was talking to J III and few of the "moving box image" pop up. I guess he waiting for his kids to become adults and move out but I turn aging off so he have to wait a little until my rp story is finish xD
    2vc864m.jpg

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I agree, great topic.
    Sometimes they seem random but mostly it seems to go with what they are doing/traits ects. The guy thinking of the fart gag is playful .. and has a mischief aspiration. The other two aren't creative or art lovers but seem to be thinking of art subjects.
    I thought I got a really cute picture of a child playing on the pirate ship wjen I was playing yesterday, he kept seeing sea creatures and things related to being the captain of the vessel ;). It was really cute.
    mazdad.jpg
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    One of my sims once had a picture of a puppet on strings come up while she was sleeping. And they say dreams don't have any relation to reality...
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Ahh, I almost missed this one! :'( Lucky google showed me the way! :wink:

First off there is two kinds of bubbles one is thought, the other is speech. The thought bubbles are represented by two round bubble getting bigger before the bigger bubble. Thought bubbles are what the sim is thinking about kind of the brain of the sim. A sim that has to go to the bathroom will show a toilet in the thought bubble, and is a representation of their needs, smooth means not, immediate, jagged bubbles mean urgent. Dailly activities conversation topics traits and whims and aspiration and needs and actions can rotate through a sims thought bubble.

So if a sim is hungry a thought bubble with mouth with teeth will be followed by plate icon of what they choose out of the fridge. The sim that has the toilet thoubht bubble will than be followed by the toilet bubble they choose to furful their needs.

Conversation thought bubbles have a point the end of the sim speaking, these thought bubbles can be more random because sims talk about their days lifes other sims relationships their needs and whims and other sim related stuff.

When a sim walks by a sim and a thought bubble with that sims face with a no sign through it means they have no relationship with that sim and they are strangers. A hand sign thought bubble means they are going to leave and wave their hand goodbye.

If you watch your sims by their thought bubbles you can predict their behavior and will be able to find their favorate food.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    Dqweaver15Dqweaver15 Posts: 3 New Member
    There's also a thought bubble that really confuses me!! It's the one with the pink person throwing a yellow ball. Everytime my sim thinks about it, they seem nervous. What is that about.
  • Options
    I have a picture of it, but i dont know how to post it here!
  • Options
    ?????
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I've noticed with the "whisper seductively" flirt, the speech bubble will often be handcuffs, so certain interactions have related speech/thought bubbles to go along with them. Otherwise, I believe it's random.
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2017
    Dqweaver15 wrote: »
    I have a picture of it, but i dont know how to post it here!

There is a "new member" thread somewhere here that explains how you need to have "x" number of posts and "x" number of "likes" before you can post pictures. I'm sorry I can't be specific where that thread is - it may be this section or in the Feedback section. I'm sorry you can't already post pictures - I would have like to have seen this one! :smiley:

Very important PS - Welcome to the Forum!! :smiley:
  • Options
    DeeB424DeeB424 Posts: 35 Member

SimTrippy helped me find this thread - for newbies such as myself this was shared with me to share a pic for now...please "." in the http and it should post. Remove the periods and visit this link. It's showing the pink person and yellow ball. My Sims reaction was after I told her to feed him. The cereal bowl was from earlier. Other times my Male Sim going into the bedroom to sleep did this icon and its was an Oh My Goodness type of response towards the bed where his spouse was sleeping. Other times has been random in the house after reacting with the Toddler.
    Anyone who can help define this icon would be so grateful. Can't figure out the reactions.

h..ttps://1drv.ms/i/s!Ajsg5GSBj-6ag79qRsiyGbr1xRpdtA
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    It depends on your thought process, there is no definite translation of what sims are talking about. What my sim's thought bubble could be interpreted differently, if you looked at it.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif