Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Thumbnails in Gallery Question

Comments

• Options
    SpicyfaceSpicyface Posts: 32 Member
    ok, thanks for feedback bryonyrae. And thanks to manssom for his words here. I hope that you can achieve more in America because you're simply closer. I wish everyone a good time.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    I believe, guys that it is just temporary, I am pretty sure EA and Maxis want you to have your custom thumbnails, but not at a cost to them, I like to know about this importer thing people are talking about maybe I can look into a way to help you guys out at least for now. The true ideal thing is to create a new filter for custom thumbnails which won't trigger the custom content flag. I can see both sides, I kinda have a unique position with the degree I am going after in college to be able to see the views for both sides. The side of creativity is really important for the Sims community, however, the side of the developers is equally important for the community, some games don't even allow mods or fan sites at all, others communities charge for mods and custom content, I am glad most of the Sims 3 and 4 sites mods and custom content are available for free. I am just wanting to remind people that they do have their reasons and be patient the gallery will eventually be fixed in time.

The Degree I am trying to get is a degree in Computer Info Systems. I bet there is a lot of info systems in a computer system as long as Maxis and EA.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    doertespielerdoertespieler Posts: 4 New Member
    EA-ignorance concerning mods and community-requests presented us Cities Skylines, I'm waiting for the clever designers who recognize the demands of a large creative building community.
  • Options
    SakuraLeonSakuraLeon Posts: 272 Member
    The sad thing is for me, now all my nocc work is tagged as cc, I have just deleted many builds that I could only upload with the tray importer because of their abstract design.

There was no point in uploading them with the EA pictures as you could not see anything you would be downloading =/

Thanks EA...
  • Options
    JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    @svlyn No need for the dramatics. I was perfectly happy with sim-makers having the tool. There are over 8 million households uploaded to the gallery, while only 1.6 million lots, most people who were using tray importer were sim-makers. Most criticism received about tray importer and "tacky images", or "unfair advantages for downloads" came from sim-makers, who complained about their fellow sim-makers. So actually you have your fellow sim-makers and their finger pointing to blame for this. I just pointed out that fact, which got you heated for no reason.

@merrylmurray First of all, if you want to address me, tag me because I don't possess magical powers that let me know when someone's replying to me. You need to cut it out with your selective reading because I never said sim-makes did not need tray importer. I said they didn't need it as much as builders did. You can argue with me 'til you're blue in the face, but that's the truth. You may dislike the poses or how your sims are unable to show non-Everyday outfits, but you never had to worry about your sim being photographed from the back, or from too far away, or with another sim completely blocking your first one. So I still stand by my statement, the one where I said tray importer was aimed at builders first and foremost and builders benefited the most from it, not the fictional one you're trying to jam into my mouth.

When EA first started cracking down on CC in uploads by introducing the "Modded" tag, it BARELY affected sim-makers, while simultaneously making life miserable for builders. Even like 7 months after the patch many of the sims uploaded were still sporting alpha hair and photoskinned clothing, and easily bypassing the CC check. Meanwhile many builders had to battle random bugs where their CC-free lots were incorrectly labelled as "Modded", all because things like sim-made photographs and paintings can at times trip up the CC check, for example. EA have also been very slow and super lax with flagging pre-patch CC-containing sims. The most downloaded sim ever, who happens to be wearing CC is still there, for goodness sake. And it's been there since 2014. And yet as soon as they released the patch ~outlawing~ custom thumbnails, they didn't waste any time flagging 90% of CC-free builds as "Modded", while making multiple mistakes (by tagging builds with regular thumbnails) in the process. Furthermore, need I remind you that sim-makers are still (as of late March 2016) able to use custom poses on their CC-free sims and not have them receive the kiss of death that is the "Modded" tag? Given all of these facts, sim-makers do have it "easier" on the Gallery.

My Origin ID is ju1ka. Go check out my gallery, then re-think your statement how I'm "against sim-makers" as you browse through my 130+ households, lmao. So please don't insult me by acting like you know me, or how and what I create.
  • Options
    jaleena1958brendaljaleena1958brendal Posts: 24 Member
    After reading all the new posts, is it hopeful to think we might get the custom thumbnails back for the rooms and lots? It would be nice. :blush:
  • Options
    What is the "important discussion" you are referring to, Bryonyrae?
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I personally doubt it @jaleena1958brendal; the Maxis patch notes are pretty definitive. I was referring to the discussion on this thread.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    merrylmurraymerrylmurray Posts: 14 New Member
    @joolster...Thankyou for showing your true simness...The only way for CC sims showing up still, is that they haven't updated their sims game. Maxis has made it that if you want to use the community, you need to update. This will eventually mark everything that is CC, as CC. But you will have to wait till the simmer with sims that dont show up as CC to update their game. & one more thing, I am new to this blogging thing, sorry for not tagging you... hope it has worked this time... But you are wrong about tray importer, it was not aimed at just the builders... & you are also wrong... sim makers do not & have not had it easy...
  • Options
    JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    @merrylmurray You're incorrect. The new "Modded" flag for stuff with custom images has nothing to do with people updating their games, it's either a script, or actual staff members (more likely, seeing as mistakes are being made by custom images passing through, and non-custom images getting flagged) flagging stuff.

I believe tray importer was aimed at builders (more than sim-makers anyway), for multiple reasons I've already listed in my last 2 posts, I'm not going to repeat myself any more. Same with why sim-makers had/have an easier time avoiding the "Modded" tag compared to builders. If you disagree with me, even through I've given plenty of proof to the contrary, that's up to you.
  • Options
    naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
    edited March 2016
    I don't understand. :/ I cannot see the point of this outside of alienating players, and complicating the ability to tell if something really has CC in it or if it's just a custom pose. I thought they already didn't choose items with ANY form of CC for EA Choice.
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Actually, it is now triggered by images placed in the creation via the Tray Importer.
    So it's actually not merely custom poses? Huh. I'm not certain I know what's going on, then. I hear mention of background pictures edited, so I'm assuming that it's a way to change the uploaded gallery picture to something COMPLETELY different from your Sims? Ah. That makes a little more sense.

The idea of marking something as CC I imagine is to keep people from false advertising. If the end download looks markedly different from what the picture showed, then I can understand marking it as CC. However, if it's merely something that allows you to show the creation from better angles / put up a cute background / etc, then I don't see the point. All that does is enable the creator more control over how they display their creation and minor customization. I don't use the gallery enough to know for certain what this is.

Kind of like models being allowed to use photoshop for their portfolios. Little misleading. Still, after encountering it, you can always just delete the item and avoid that creator. Again, if it's only camera angles and the like, that is truly ridiculous.

Edit: Alternatively, they could have made a "custom image" tag instead of just throwing it in with Custom Content so they could be optionally filtered out.
  • Options
    Well, I contacted EA about my concerns today, being March 31, 2016. I talked with them on the phone directly. The SUPER NICE EA person said the disabled custom thumbnails are permanent. EA does not approve of mods being used in S4. That's official. Sorry everyone, I also created rooms and lots. :((((
  • Options
    svlynsvlyn Posts: 4,409 Member
    edited April 2016
    @joolster
    Joolster wrote: »
    @svlyn No need for the dramatics. I was perfectly happy with sim-makers having the tool. There are over 8 million households uploaded to the gallery, while only 1.6 million lots, most people who were using tray importer were sim-makers. Most criticism received about tray importer and "tacky images", or "unfair advantages for downloads" came from sim-makers, who complained about their fellow sim-makers. So actually you have your fellow sim-makers and their finger pointing to blame for this. I just pointed out that fact, which got you heated for no reason.

When EA first started cracking down on CC in uploads by introducing the "Modded" tag, it BARELY affected sim-makers, while simultaneously making life miserable for builders. Even like 7 months after the patch many of the sims uploaded were still sporting alpha hair and photoskinned clothing, and easily bypassing the CC check. Meanwhile many builders had to battle random bugs where their CC-free lots were incorrectly labelled as "Modded", all because things like sim-made photographs and paintings can at times trip up the CC check, for example. EA have also been very slow and super lax with flagging pre-patch CC-containing sims. The most downloaded sim ever, who happens to be wearing CC is still there, for goodness sake. And it's been there since 2014. And yet as soon as they released the patch ~outlawing~ custom thumbnails, they didn't waste any time flagging 90% of CC-free builds as "Modded", while making multiple mistakes (by tagging builds with regular thumbnails) in the process. Furthermore, need I remind you that sim-makers are still (as of late March 2016) able to use custom poses on their CC-free sims and not have them receive the kiss of death that is the "Modded" tag? Given all of these facts, sim-makers do have it "easier" on the Gallery.

I agree with what you have said her. I was unaware that sim makers were upset by images. I am not just a sim maker. I also build just not as much. I am usually not a dramatic person. I have close to 5000 posts on this forum and none of them considered angry. But what Maxis is done really makes me hot headed. I was one of the first sim makers to post images so your comment about it being tacky hit me hard. Lets just hope something positive comes of this in the future.
  • Options
    svlynsvlyn Posts: 4,409 Member
    SakuraLeon wrote: »
    The sad thing is for me, now all my nocc work is tagged as cc, I have just deleted many builds that I could only upload with the tray importer because of their abstract design.

There was no point in uploading them with the EA pictures as you could not see anything you would be downloading =/

Thanks EA...

Sorry this happened to you.
  • Options
    @joolster said this...Ironically, it turned out to be the sim-makers who truly went crazy for and with the tool, even though I personally don't believe sims ever needed custom thumbnails to begin with. Sure, sims could use help in the preview department also, such as extra image space to showcase the non-everyday category outfits, but let's be honest, 99% of the people who used custom thumbs on their sims did not focus on showing multiple outfits, rather they forced their sims into custom poses (something they could already do), and added photoshopped backgrounds.

Sim-makes are still able to share their sims in custom poses without the "Modded" tag. Sim-makers still on occasion are able to sneak their CC-wearing sims past the "Modded" check. The Gallery is still littered with hundreds of sims from 2014 and 2015 with obvious CC clothing and alpha hair, without the "Modded" tag. Overall the gallery has been pretty lax with sims using "enhancements" bypassing the "Modded" tag, all the while many people's CC-free lots get flagged as "Modded" for the smallest and most nonsensical reasons. This is what makes the whole situation extra irritating for people like me (CC-free builders). Essentially what happened is the group that the tool wasn't really "for" and who didn't even need the tool all that much, ended up abusing the tool, thus making it hated by many, which resulted in its nerf, that in the end affected the group that needed it the most, the worst.

So if that is not an attack on sim makers, I obviously am wrong... but I am not... This is an attack on sim makers... So stop it... I wont put up with this kind of thing...
    Tray Importer was for all simmers, NOT just for the builders... read your posts before posting...
  • Options
    This is directly from the LuniverseSims website, which I am a member of...
    Application created by Deevo for LuniverSims.com - A software developed by Deevo for LuniverSims.com

This application allows to extract or import content Sims 4 (houses, land, Sims or parts) from (or to) your library.
    This application (software) Enables you to upload / download Some Sims 4 Content (houses, batch gold Sims rooms) from / into your library.

It will thus allow you to promote your creation outside the gallery, blogs, personal sites or even on Luniversims.
    It will allow you to Promote your creations not only in your own gallery goal on blogs, websites or-even on Luniversims the website! : Whistle:
    And even better ... It allows you to change the pictures of your creations in the official gallery Sims 4! Take a look at the tutorial (in French) HERE ...
    All this means is that it was created for all simmers, not just one group of simmers...
    Cheers
  • Options
    > @doertespieler said:
    > EA-ignorance concerning mods and community-requests presented us Cities Skylines, I'm waiting for the clever designers who recognize the demands of a large creative building community.

I agree.. mods can be a plus to any gaming company... :smiley:
  • Options
    Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    edited April 2016
    I was still busy unwrapping my candy (tray-importer), eager to eat it..and the next moment a bully grabbed it out of my hands.

Point making its like taking candy from a baby. You can take the candy away and the baby can't do anything about it - very disappointed in what they have done.

@Manssom I think you might be on to something :)
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    edited April 2016
    But... we aren't babies..
    Surely most people agree that mods in general, in any game should not overshadow the official content?
    Yes there are issues with the ingame-generated screenshots, but the custom made photos were and are the wrong solution.
  • Options
    SakuraLeonSakuraLeon Posts: 272 Member
    Following on from @ehaught58 and @Joolster examples of the horrific EA pictures VS Tray Importer -

EA pic

t0t1t5.png

And my NOCC creation, labeled CC Tray Importer pic -

9t0j03.png

-_-;...
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    I am very sorry everyone is having this happen. I was just thinking of using the Tray thing before patch to see if it would help my downloads.

Hopefully they will find a way to make an in game option. I know we get to pick from a few different pose pictures when making sims and have always wondered why we didn't have the option when uploading a build.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    SmidgitronSmidgitron Posts: 1 New Member
    I use this for my builds and I make sure my page is cc free! It allowed me to get the perfect angle of the builds I worked so hard to do. However Maxis have now decided that it classified as cc which I think is stupid! I understand that it is a third-party programme and that is why I would love for them to give us a thing similar because it was such a handy tool for us to use and then everyone can use it without their creations being classified as cc. :D
  • Options
    SpicyfaceSpicyface Posts: 32 Member
    For all have the interest. In German Why now we have "finally" a separate thread on this topic. But I get the message: "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links."
  • Options
    Dragon123561Dragon123561 Posts: 2,262 Member
    I get why EA has to tag custom made thumbnails, It's a program not developed by them. What I don't get is why our builds are tagged for using photography skill pics, and still life paintings. It's not a mod, this was a tool developed by them and now it's considered custom content. :(
    OTBANNERhol_zpslahzogjc.png

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    There are some workarounds for that @Dragon123561. Have a look at the Building Tips & Tricks thread @rosemow maintains here.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations