Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you have liked TS3 any less if it didn't have toddlers?

A toddler thread in the TS3 GD? How cheeky of me! :p

Ok, so lets say TS3 lacked toddlers and just toddlers. It had Open World and all the trimmings but just lacked toddlers. What those of you who liked TS3 then and still do now liked it any less if there was no toddlers?

I actually thought about this, and I am sure that there would have been a few concerns had that been the case back then. Sure having babies grow straight to children is a bit 'unrealistic' and you miss out of the bonding stage between parents. I cannot disagree withy that, but you know what? I think I would have managed to shrug it off. I actually found TS3 very addicted at the start, that whole ability to jump between households and everything so I think I would have managed to forget that there were no toddlers anyway. Sure enough the toddlers we did get in TS3 where easier to handle than in TS2 (my opinion) but a lack of toddlers wouldn't have killed TS3 in any way either.

What are your views?

Thread rules
You should know the rules by now, be nice to other Simmers, respect others opinions ect

Also lets keep this a nice thread, the TS3 GD is not known for dramas and we should keep it that way. :smile:

If anyone is rude to anyone else, I will report you.

Peace
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes, I would have. And this is coming from someone who jumped from Sims 1 (no toddlers) to Sims 3, so I wouldn't even have missed them the way Sims 2 players would have. The thing is, when I played Sims 1 I regretted I couldn't start a proper family in it. For me a proper family is very important in this game, even when I don't always play families. So the 'Sims 1 didn't have toddlers'-argument is totally irrelevant for me, I also missed them in 1.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I would not have played Sims3 as much as I do without the toddlers. I love the open world and customization of Sims3, playing at 'interior decorator', but, the family play and my stories are the primary reason I play the game and without the toddlers it would not be there for me. It is an important age in rl development and in game development for me as well. Yes, I have some mods that allow my toddlers to do a bit more than pick their noses and cry so they are much more fun than vanilla toddlers. I don't consider the skill teaching a chore. It is part of life in my sims games.

My current game has 6 children in it 3 are still babies, 2 others were born in game and taught all the skills as well as the skill books by my sims during the toddler stage and one I started as a toddler when I made the family in CAS and she learned all her skills and books with Mom or Dad teaching her. The triplets will learn the skills and be read to by the adults in the family. I consider it fun and a challenge to do by the time they age up. I play longer life spans and it is adjusted so they don't learn it all in 3 days. It also gives me a better idea of how their personality is and what I want for them as they age. I do try to pick different traits when I have lots of kids so I can see the difference in them. Some never cry unless I let their needs drop too low.

If you have never tried a game with toddlers I suggest that you do so. If you have and don't like them, I'm sorry for ya...I think they are fun! You can't fall in love with them if you just plunk them in the play pen though.
  • Options
    MACRONAUTMACRONAUT Posts: 200 Member
    Speaking as some one who went from the Playstation 2 sims to Sims 3. No i wouldn't have missed toddlers. The open world and build options were a real step up. As stated in op the aging up from baby to child is rather jarring, but I would have got used to it. My reasons for not liking sims 4 go further than missing toddlers.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Yes, I would have. And this is coming from someone who jumped from Sims 1 (no toddlers) to Sims 3, so I wouldn't even have missed them the way Sims 2 players would have. The thing is, when I played Sims 1 I regretted I couldn't start a proper family in it. For me a proper family is very important in this game, even when I don't always play families. So the 'Sims 1 didn't have toddlers'-argument is totally irrelevant for me, I also missed them in 1.

Thanks for your reply :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    That wouldn't effect me at all because virtual toddlers mean nothing to me and my gameplay style doesn't involve them. I like the mods and cc but not the toddlers
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Yes I would have played without toddlers. I love the overall game play regardless of toddlers. I love toddlers but I do age them up pretty quickly once the are trained. If EA gave toddlers more to do I would keep them around longer
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Yes I would be disappointed seeing as how cute and awesome they are sims 2. It would make wonder why didn't add them the same way I wonder why they they did with 4
    giphy.gif

• Options
    Yes I would have played without toddlers. I love the overall game play regardless of toddlers. I love toddlers but I do age them up pretty quickly once the are trained. If EA gave toddlers more to do I would keep them around longer
    Oh, absolutely, I agree with that. No toddlers wouldn't have been a dealbreaker, because the game has so many other things and months go by where I don't see one toddler in my game. But the game wouldn't be the same without them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NordicPhoenix22xNordicPhoenix22x Posts: 301 Member
    I would have liked TS3 the same without toddlers, and I don't miss them in TS4 either.
    I'm just not a family player and toddlers and children usually annoy me pretty quickly. The 100 baby challenge I've done once was a real challenge for me. :lol:
    I love TS3 for the open world, CASt and the story progression. There's more than enough for me to do without toddlers. :)
    "Children of the night, Soldiers of our time
    Scream it out loud, One generation
    Riot in the streets, Fighting and debris
    Raise your fist high, the Generation Wild!"
    182kwx.png
  • Options
    Oh, absolutely, I agree with that. No toddlers wouldn't have been a dealbreaker, because the game has so many other things and months go by where I don't see one toddler in my game. But the game wouldn't be the same without them.

I agree. I like that ts3 has all life stages. It makes the game feel more complete whether you choose to play certain life stages or not.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    That's for everyone who has replied and provided good feedback :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    deadhaus123deadhaus123 Posts: 475 Member
    probably not... i think they would have expanded on the other life stages a little more to make up for it. I'm not saying that i don't like toddlers but The sims 3 is so detailed in other ways that if toddlers were to suddenly disappear from it 2morrow....yes absolutely i would still keep playing. With that said i am glad it has toddlers.
    [img][/img]UjBiOYQ.jpg
  • Options
    girlwhocriedtaylorgirlwhocriedtaylor Posts: 536 Member
    I never played Sims 2 before. I went from Sims Freeplay to Sims 3, so Sims 3 was a big improvement to me. I was amazed that you didn't have to progress through levels and that nothing was forced upon you to do.

If sims 3 didn't have toddlers, would I still play? Yep, because I wouldn't know any difference.
  • Options
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »
    Yes, I have some mods that allow my toddlers to do a bit more than pick their noses and cry so they are much more fun than vanilla toddlers.

Do you mind telling me what mods? I have one mod for toddlers where they can "explore around." (crawl around on the floor and get a moodlet when they're done) Is that the one you mean? I'd love to have more depth to my toddlers.
  • Options
    HollyL73HollyL73 Posts: 1,452 Member
    I would still play, but I really like the toddler stage. The bonds that you create with parents/siblings/toddlers while teaching them how to walk and talk and go on the potty, I know none of it is necessary because they will still be fully functioning children without all that, but I would definitely miss that stage in my Sims lives if it was taken out of the game.
  • Options
    EmperorDittoEmperorDitto Posts: 128 Member
    I would have still play the Sims 3. Since I like how you can make both human and vampire sims in the game immortal. And all the kinds of servants you can have like mummies, bonehilda, genies, simbots and plumbots for example.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    As another player who never had TS2, I wouldn't have known what I was missing firsthand but would have thought an immediate transition from baby to child was a little strange. In the same way that I still think the transition from child to teen is strange without another life stage in between.

But a world where a sim who doesn't learn how to walk, talk, or go potty makes them not know how to do these things when older would have been awesome. Teens who don't bother learning how to drive shouldn't magically have the ability as YAs. And those who flunk high school should have limited career opportunities and not be allowed to go to Uni until they go back to school and try again.

Okay none of those in that last paragraph were really serious concerns except the last one. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I would still play, but I would be disappointed. I think toddlers are so cute and I like that stage of life the best. BUT, there is still plenty to do and lots of fun stuff that I would never get bored with Sims 3 without toddlers...I would just miss them ;)
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    As another player who never had TS2, I wouldn't have known what I was missing firsthand but would have thought an immediate transition from baby to child was a little strange. In the same way that I still think the transition from child to teen is strange without another life stage in between.

But a world where a sim who doesn't learn how to walk, talk, or go potty makes them not know how to do these things when older would have been awesome. Teens who don't bother learning how to drive shouldn't magically have the ability as YAs. And those who flunk high school should have limited career opportunities and not be allowed to go to Uni until they go back to school and try again.

Okay none of those in that last paragraph were really serious concerns except the last one. :)
    Night school, why not? I like those ideas. I never tried to have a sim flunk highschool, what actually does happen? Nothing..? I'd really like it if flunking at high school would mean your sim would have a lot more trouble having promotions.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    pr0x1mapr0x1ma Posts: 5,898 Member
    I think it would have definitely bothered me. I loved TS2 and I really enjoyed having toddlers. There are many things I like about TS3 to where I think I would play it even without toddlers...but I think TS2 would be played more often if that were the case.
    tumblr_mr2v3r8OEc1rsik0po1_400.gif
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2016

Night school, why not? I like those ideas. I never tried to have a sim flunk highschool, what actually does happen? Nothing..? I'd really like it if flunking at high school would mean your sim would have a lot more trouble having promotions.

Yeah, night school or the equivalent is what I really meant. Self-study, even. Not really going back to day school as an adult, standing in line with all the teens to get in although that might have been somewhat interesting (Adults going to prom, with each other of course, and doing after school clubs?).

If a teen flunks high school now, they are branded as not having developed well and you don't get to pick their new trait when they age up to YA. The one assigned to them could be a negative one. But those are so easy to change with mods or testingcheats, it's not much of a penalty. They, or maybe it's their parents, also miss out on a large number of LTR points for not "aging up well."

As for job opportunities, the best we can do (with mods) is to arrange it so that only Uni graduates can progress beyond a certain job level in careers of our choosing. The problem I have there is that I'm not prepared to shove all of the inactive residents of my worlds through Uni myself and even handing out honorary degrees all over the place sounds kind of tedious. But some like it that way, again at least for certain careers.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options

Yeah, night school or the equivalent is what I really meant. Self-study, even. Not really going back to day school as an adult, standing in line with all the teens to get in although that might have been somewhat interesting (Adults going to prom, with each other of course, and doing after school clubs?).

If a teen flunks high school now, they are branded as not having developed well and you don't get to pick their new trait when they age up to YA. The one assigned to them could be a negative one. But those are so easy to change with mods or testingcheats, it's not much of a penalty. They and their parents also miss out on a huge amount of LTR points for "aging up well."

As for job opportunities, the best we can do (with mods) is to arrange it so that only Uni graduates can progress beyond a certain job level in careers of our choosing. The problem I have there is that I'm not prepared to shove all of the inactive residents of my worlds through Uni myself and even handing out honorary degrees all over the place sounds kind of tedious. But some like it that way, again at least for certain careers.

Great ideas but...............that will have to wait for the perfect TS6 :D and prom should not be a rabbit hole and restaurants should be like Ts2 ( you need to play that )
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I did have TS2 (though not a complete version by any means) and I actually did miss the toddler interactions when I got to TS3. I haven't played ts2 now for... eons, but I still remember the hint of disappointment I felt when playing TS3 toddlers. WITH that said.

I hate to say it but TS3 does offer so much more beyond that, that I'm really on the fence. I think I would still have enjoyed TS3. There are other aspects to the game, such as world building etc. that would have kept me satisfied. TS4 on the other hand, just lacks any sort of step up. There isn't a trade off.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    amyedwards1986amyedwards1986 Posts: 244 Member
    edited March 2016
    Personally I would have been deceived but I would have loved the sims3 even without the toddlers. The other novelties would have largely made up for it. But as Maxis allowed us to enjoy the toddlers and everyone loved this, it's even more unthinkable that we could no longer enjoy it in TS4. Logic would say if something really works and is deeply appreciated, you keep it for the future projects, right?
    But like I said before, it's EA business philosophy which is at fault here. I have no doubt they plan to bring back the toddlers some time in the future but I'm afraid they will make us pay for it with an expansion while we could have had this included in the base game. We are no longer customers, we are their milky cows and it's deeply saddening.
    11ay6ix.jpg

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us -Helen Keller-