Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I played for four hours last night, and now i'm bored :/

Comments

• Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    That isn't boredom. That's burnout, as @Ravager619 said. Happens to me all the time when I play ANY game, whether it be Sims 3, 4, or any other video game for that long.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    That isn't boredom. That's burnout, as @Ravager619 said. Happens to me all the time when I play ANY game, whether it be Sims 3, 4, or any other video game for that long.

Are you talking about the OP.....after four hours of play?

I guess we just have different saturation levels because I can say after playing either 2 or 3 for hours and hours on a daily basis I never got burnt out. The creative options that both of those had left me more with a feeling of not having enough hours in the day to accomplish all the things I wanted to do.

I did get a little impatient with 3 a couple of months before the release of 4 but I can attribute that to being excited about the new emotions....that went away after I played 4. The emotions were just not the pre-release interviews had them chalked up to be.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited February 2016
    There isn't much of anything I can do for four hours without being done with it.

EDIT: Sleeping. Definitely down for sleeping more than 4 hours.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    There is a difference in boredom and burnout, boredom is when there is not enough activities or the game become repetitious to the point that boredom sets in and for me Sims 4 fits this meaning. Burnout is when you play for long periods of time that you are tired of playing anymore and it is correct boredom and burnout can happen in any game. IMHO the person must had a lot for fun before burnout occured
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I envy some peoples optimism and patience. TS4 just feels too repetitive and even though I could change the story with new sims it just feels like I'm doing the same thing. Sim A opens up a retail store (I've done bakery, toy store, bridal shop etc) or Sim B is a woodsman who loves spending time outdoors in his tent and testing unknown herbs. And then there are the three active careers that are repetitive to say the least. Only one I didn't get tired of was the doctor career. What we need is more gameplay and new creative ways to do things. I like that we get new gameplay objects (well returning gameplay objects) but it wouldn't hurt to get something new like the pumpkin carving station in Spooky Stuff.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    I envy some peoples optimism and patience. TS4 just feels too repetitive and even though I could change the story with new sims it just feels like I'm doing the same thing. Sim A opens up a retail store (I've done bakery, toy store, bridal shop etc) or Sim B is a woodsman who loves spending time outdoors in his tent and testing unknown herbs. And then there are the three active careers that are repetitive to say the least. Only one I didn't get tired of was the doctor career. What we need is more gameplay and new creative ways to do things. I like that we get new gameplay objects (well returning gameplay objects) but it wouldn't hurt to get something new like the pumpkin carving station in Spooky Stuff.

There again.....past content with a new twist. You could carve pumpkins in TS3 Seasons....the new part was the table to carve them on.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

There again.....past content with a new twist. You could carve pumpkins in TS3 Seasons....the new part was the table to carve them on.
    Yes, so true. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2016

I don't know for sure what makes TS4 so boring to me after about one hour of gameplay, sometimes less, but one thing is for sure, it's not the loading screens. TS2 has loading screens I can honestly enjoy it more than TS4, I could play a whole afternoon of TS2 and not get tired of it because there is always "new" stuff going on and townies are always doing something in the background. The same goes for TS3 every EP has so much stuff going on and there are so many places you can visit in the world even if they are rabbit wholes it's sad that I have major lag when I play it, I don't know if it's because my card isn't recognized or whatever it is.

Plus, I'm starting to think or conclude that TS4 is being very stale in terms of content compared to the other games. First of all, if we are going to get GP's at the same rate of EP's I don't see why they even make GP's, just have two teams working on different EP's. Second GT only added one new feature per se and SP's don't bring any features, just minor content, I need more gameplay, actual big time gameplay, I feel like I have been doing the same thing over and over since GTW or Spa Day.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I don't know for sure what makes TS4 so boring to me after about one hour of gameplay, sometimes less, but one thing is for sure, it's not the loading screens. TS2 has loading screens I can honestly enjoy it more than TS4, I could play a whole afternoon of TS2 and not get tired of it because there is always "new" stuff going on and townies are always doing something in the background. The same goes for TS3 every EP has so much stuff going on and there are so many places you can visit in the world even if they are rabbit wholes it's sad that I have major lag when I play it, I don't know if it's because my card isn't recognized or whatever it is.

Plus, I'm starting to think or conclude that TS4 is being very stale in terms of content compared to the other games. First of all, if we are going to get GP's at the same rate of EP's I don't see why they even make GP's, just have two teams working on different EP's. Second GT only added one new feature per se and SP's don't bring any features, just minor content, I need more gameplay, actual big time gameplay, I feel like I have been doing the same thing over and over since GTW or Spa Day.
    You are right about Sims 2 and the funny thing is I would stop and soon as I stopped playing Sims 2 I would go back in because I could not get enough of it. However, it is different for Sims 4, I play for a little while but after playing I do not have that same feeling I had with Sims 2.

• Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    CK213 wrote: »
    I like TS4 for being different. I came to the game thinking they wouldn't just rehash all the old EP and give us new stuff we have never had in a sims game. Like camping was new we have never had a mini EP ever be completely dedicated to camping. I personally would have never gone past TS3 if it wasn't different. For me its hard to go back to older versions of the game because I wish they had things from TS4 in them and then I get frustrated that at least the sims 3 sims need to be able to multitask. lol

One of the things I liked about TS3 was more creative freedom.

This says it all for me. And I absolutely love your pictures . . . I now know where I'm going to be playing this weekend! :smiley:
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    It says something about the quality of this game, doesn't it, when out of all the comments on this six-page thread, there's only a small handful of people who insist that the game isn't boring to them, and in one case, tried to blame burn out for the negativity.

I don't know that burn out is the word to use. The only word I can think of to describe the tone of this thread is dissatisfaction. I know I, for one, am dissatisfied with The Sims 4. The only reason I wish I could play it now is because I can't...because my computer won't handle it without an upgrade which I can't afford right now.

Oh well, maybe this weekend I'll win the lottery and be able to buy myself a killer computer that can handle TS2, TS3, *and* TS4.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    It says something about the quality of this game, doesn't it, when out of all the comments on this six-page thread, there's only a small handful of people who insist that the game isn't boring to them, and in one case, tried to blame burn out for the negativity.

I don't know that burn out is the word to use. The only word I can think of to describe the tone of this thread is dissatisfaction. I know I, for one, am dissatisfied with The Sims 4. The only reason I wish I could play it now is because I can't...because my computer won't handle it without an upgrade which I can't afford right now.

Oh well, maybe this weekend I'll win the lottery and be able to buy myself a killer computer that can handle TS2, TS3, *and* TS4.

I'm crossing my fingers and sending out tons of wishes that you win that lottery!! :smiley:
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member
    Interesting. The OP specifically said "bored", but the Sims 4 defenders try to turn it into "burnout."
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    This wasn't directed at me, but I see people often saying only completionists (or newbies) get addicted to TS4. I find both of the assumptions mistaken. I don't know, maybe the game works for a completionist, but it's definitely not a requirement to enjoy it as I'm quite the opposite of that myself. Like @HeyYoDiscoNick I have played around 900 hours played according to origin, also most of that was with base game only (okay I had two stuff packs). I played TS1 and TS2, but skipped TS3 so that probably has a big effect on how I approach this game.

I agree with this .. by the way not targeting the one that mentioned @HeyYoDiscoNick in particular though because that statement wasn't dismissive. I play many ways myself .. but most enjoyable and for longer periods of time when my mood is good and I'm feeling creative... Telling stories. Making sims for a particular story. Completionist play is fun to me also it can be just when I can't think to play much and it's to pass time.. or it can be incorporated into a story also. Challenges.. Deviant play ect... I also have logged in too much time to say here because it's embarrassing.

I think in general a lot of it has to do with simply not liking that particular iteration.. for whatever reason in comparison to the one you love/loved. If you compare it negatively while playing ... I don't see how you can ever enjoy it. If you can't help comparing it negatively because it just doesn't have something you need I don't think it's going to maintain your interest no matter how much you want it too. I just bought Sim 3 last week trying to go into it with an open mind. I really wanted a farm and know we won't be getting things to make on in S4 any time soon... and I wanted new content to explore. I've been trying with starter bundle and haven't added the farm elements in yet.. I just can't get past some things I don't like about the game. I've had some humorous moments but I close it after about an hour of game play then try again the next day or day after. I don't like the art style or the feeling of dissociation from my sim. I don't know if that will change no matter how much content I add if I add it.

I agree with this. I think, unfortunately, the Sims franchise can be its own worst enemy for many people because they like the way one version went and expect the next one will simply follow suit with better graphics and maybe a few new perks thrown in. Several people who like TS2 have mentioned how disappointed they were with 3 because it went in such a different direction from 2. It can be frustrating expecting something in particular only to find out it's not going to be what you expected.

Personally, I've played TS2, TS3 and this version. I've never been a completionist--I find that sort of thing boring with a game like this. Heck, I don't really even do completionist playthroughs of action games I play because games, for me, are almost always about the story. This game, for me, is about building, setting up a story and then watching it play out with my direction. I only play through completing things if it goes with the story or if I find myself particularly intrigued about something. I cheat a lot so I can start my characters out exactly where I need them to be for their story. And, for me personally, this works great in TS4, so I enjoy the game thoroughly.

ETA: typo
    Post edited by ebuchala on
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member

That's why I crossed it out. I forgot that we could do that already.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    ericafranklin4ericafranklin4 Posts: 51 Member
    I also tend to get bored after a few hours. I think I get bored because a lot of the things that I prefer to play aren't in the game. I'm someone who likes to create interesting stories. I especially love the family aspect of the past Sims because I would create such interesting families. Now my family just bores me and I keep creating new ones and only playing with them for a couple of hours. I think that the game just needs more variety. I wasn't that fond of Sims 3 but for some reason I felt like it gave me more because I played longer. That was even before the expansion packs.
  • Options
    I LOVE this thread! Perfectly articulates exactly what it seems that the majority feel. I'm trying to start 'exciting' storylines but they descend into a landslide of traditionally familial chaos which completely eradicates any creative impulses (all my Sims marry, have children and go to the great Plumbob in the sky).
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    For me the boredom doesn't come from the lack of things to do with my sim. I swear I could still be playing base game and enjoy it. My boredom comes from the lack of random, surprising things in my sims' life. Burglars, pests, deaths I can't control, destiny being part of the game (only certain jobs available in the newspaper, my sim having an opinion on who they like), unpredictable things that change their stories radically. I can come up with characters and set them up, but after a while I'm not sure which way their story should develop - I want the game to give me hints! All I get now is everyone having random romances assigned by the game, everyone getting the same calls for the party at the bluffs etc. I play with the game's suggestions sometimes, but after a while the lack of variety makes it dull.

Also could the people talking about "defenders of the game" and "people with rose coloured classes" just cut it off? It really annoys me as there's no need to keep creating that kind of divide.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2016
    I understand. I can play for hours sometimes but mostly it's 20 minutes here or there cause I get bored. I have aging off because my town does not progress. I want unplayed sims to develope relationships and get married and have children. There are just too many households that I care to have progress and it is overwhelming to have to play each one.

I don't want the Goths or the Pancakes to die out. I don't like the Landgraabs and don't care to play them but I don't want them to die out either. I love the Caliente household but I have a large family that I already rotate through so it would be nice for them to advance on their own.

Story progression is a huge issue for me. I know everything that is going to happen and that is so freaking boring.

I want to start families but the lack of toddlers makes it feel meh and I always hated toddlers! I don't feel there is any real depth to family interactions...and I am bored of playing the single young adult sims.

What is it you feel like is missing? You keep saying it's missing things but I haven't seen many details on what.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Or it says that people are doing what they're always being told to do here and staying out of negative threads if they don't want to read them.

You can't have it both ways. Either people are going to come in and be all positive at you whether you like or not, or they're going to not be here. Them not being here doesn't mean they don't exist.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    For me the boredom doesn't come from the lack of things to do with my sim. I swear I could still be playing base game and enjoy it. My boredom comes from the lack of random, surprising things in my sims' life. Burglars, pests, deaths I can't control, destiny being part of the game (only certain jobs available in the newspaper, my sim having an opinion on who they like), unpredictable things that change their stories radically. I can come up with characters and set them up, but after a while I'm not sure which way their story should develop - I want the game to give me hints! All I get now is everyone having random romances assigned by the game, everyone getting the same calls for the party at the bluffs etc. I play with the game's suggestions sometimes, but after a while the lack of variety makes it dull.

Also could the people talking about "defenders of the game" and "people with rose coloured classes" just cut it off? It really annoys me as there's no need to keep creating that kind of divide.

Yes!! This post is amazing! Sims life is far too predictable!!!!
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member

Or it says that people are doing what they're always being told to do here and staying out of negative threads if they don't want to read them.

You can't have it both ways. Either people are going to come in and be all positive at you whether you like or not, or they're going to not be here. Them not being here doesn't mean they don't exist.

Yeah, sims 4 feels somewhat lacking to me, definitely. (But I felt that with some of sims 3 lifespan, too, so it could just be me.)

And yes to what @luthienrising said, too. People in this community is so divided like some kind of political parties to the point where people are saying "If you don't like the negative/positive threads, stay out of them." (I see this on ALL sides, and it almost feels like constant bullying and trolling on all sides at this point, sheesh..)

I feel like a weird outsider even within the simming community, as I think both Sims 4 AND sims 3 were meh to me.

I don't think sims 4 is the spawn of a certain de.vil (but it definitely has some serious issues), but I also don't think sims 3 was the super-special awesome sparkly best sims game ever...

(Sims 2 will always be the best to me, so far. It has some of my fav content, and I don't buy an entire world and tons of sims points for it, and I don't need tons of mods to fix actual content, like I did with sims3.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member

Lol, I wanted to make the same comment then figured, why even bother.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member

I will start doing that when they stop complaining about the negativity in the forums, and stop blaming the fans for not liking the game, instead of the game developers for making such a poorly thought out product and expecting us to not only like it, but continue to throw money at it in hopes that the game will some day reach its full "potential".

And you can be just as annoyed at me as you want, because I get annoyed at those who contribute to the division by bashing a past game to try to prove this one is superior to all others, or by trying to downplay the dissatisfaction of the players who don't like this game for what they feel are valid and legitimate reasons.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I will start doing that when they stop complaining about the negativity in the forums, and stop blaming the fans for not liking the game, instead of the game developers for making such a poorly thought out product and expecting us to not only like it, but continue to throw money at it in hopes that the game will some day reach its full "potential".

And you can be just as annoyed at me as you want, because I get annoyed at those who contribute to the division by bashing a past game to try to prove this one is superior to all others, or by trying to downplay the dissatisfaction of the players who don't like this game for what they feel are valid and legitimate reasons.

All you're talking about is people stating their personal preferences. Nobody anywhere is saying you can't have yours and have to like this game. Nobody. Nobody is saying your opinion isn't legitimate. Nobody is blaming you for your opinion. And nobody's personal preference deserves the insults you throw at them regularly.

As for the negativity in the forum, I think we have just as much right to complain about the endless stream of new posts in General Discussion (because nobody seems to think putting their feedback in Feedback is legit) from the same people saying the same things for 18 straight months, while telling us that we can stick to Happy Play and Favorite Screenshots and be happy there. What is it about negative feedback that needs a new topic for the same thing all the time? That can't go in feedback? So yes, I think there's valid grounds to complain about the pattern of posting that a handful of people use that creates a negative atmosphere here. And there's as much right to complain about that posting pattern, which ends up overwhelming the General Discussion page with its numbers of posts, as there is to complain about the game.

(Edited to fix the kind of typo I make only when I'm actually angry.)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top