The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gone backwards.Just nuts.

Comments

• Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    The newbies may find this version of the Sims appealing but I have been with this franchise since day 1 and we have gone backwards.

1.Babies are nothing more then objects and skip the toddler stage to become a 10 year old.
    2.Gotta teleport to visit across the street or the lot next door.
    3.No more color wheel.
    4.No more age sliders.
    Over a decade and the Sims have gone backwards.

So have I, and I find this version quite appealing. I've enjoyed my explorations through all the versions, though.

@SimGuruDrake Could you please close this thread as it truly does appear to be designed to instigate conflict.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    I'm gonna jump in and quickly focus on one of the points the op gave. The op complains about babies being just objects. When in truth, babies have always been classified and treated like objects in past games. The only difference is that they can't be picked up and placed elsewhere. People might call it "pure laziness" that babies are tied to cribs, but those people obviously know nothing about gameplay mechanics. The complexity of the multitasking system in TS4 is far more complex than people realise, and issues with multitasking is why we didn't see toddlers on launch either.

The point is that people blindly call the devs lazy, ignorant, and arrogant even though the reasons they give are valid. No amount of insulting the game and the devs will bring these things back. It's a lot like the pot calling the kettle black.

Are you kidding me - some of the people saying these things are actually well educated in programming and computer technology! You misjudge your fellow simmers by a long shot Gabe and don't really know many of us who have been simmers for the last 12-16 years.

I have also seen many simmers who are well educated in those areas say the opposite and I do have a basic understanding of programming and the game's mechanics, but that's an argument for another day. But what makes you assume that I haven't been simming for very long? I have been simming since early TS2, you misjudged me by a long shot.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2016
    I never judged you at all - nor mentioned the amount of time you have been simming, ( seeing I have no idea how long you have been simming to start with). I mentioned the folks I know who are ITT professionals, graphic artists, and programmers that I know have been here the last 12-16 years. Where exactly did I mention you or the amount of time you have been here in that reply (other than saying you misjudged some of them)? All I said is you do not know them very well.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    My mistake, I believed you were implying that.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    My mistake, I believed you were implying that.

No problem. I would hope I would never do that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member
    I'm gonna jump in and quickly focus on one of the points the op gave. The op complains about babies being just objects. When in truth, babies have always been classified and treated like objects in past games. The only difference is that they can't be picked up and placed elsewhere. People might call it "pure laziness" that babies are tied to cribs, but those people obviously know nothing about gameplay mechanics. The complexity of the multitasking system in TS4 is far more complex than people realise, and issues with multitasking is why we didn't see toddlers on launch either.

The point is that people blindly call the devs lazy, ignorant, and arrogant even though the reasons they give are valid. No amount of insulting the game and the devs will bring these things back. It's a lot like the pot calling the kettle black.

It is not laziness it is price cutting, less work = less cost. It is management level decision not the individual developers.

And with baby being objects, they could have at least hid the fact it is an object? Would it require code changes, yes, but it it that hard, not really. Please note while I haven't personally played around with some 4 baby objects I have spent a fair time in the game xml code, so I'm not just making the above statement up. :)

As for multi tasking, I don't really see how that affects a life stage? I mean we have non-object children and thereby we could have non-object toddlers. If the game allows 2 life states it will allow 3.

• Options
    SimmieSimsSimmieSims Posts: 234 Member
    Some people might be harsh when it comes to criticizing the game or developers, but this does not apply to everybody who posts any sort of criticism.

The argument is faulty at best, because personally, I sing the highest praises when it comes to TS1-TS3, and all those games were created by EA, and some of the same developers that are still working on TS4 today.

If I love all the previous products put out by EA, but I just happen to dislike TS4, that doesn't mean that I'm insulting the producers or EA. I'm just simply stating that they created a new Sims game, that does nothing for me.

At the same time, I can be objective and say whoever worked on CAS, and Build/Buy mode is genius in my eyes. That's still not slamming the developers.

But somebody in charge made the decision to exclude an entire age group, pools, basements, cars, and to oversimplify game play in a way that makes it non-appealing to me, and those are the people who should listen up when they hear complaints.

I've said it before, numbers don't lie. Let's see how successful this game is in the future, and maybe people like myself will be in the minority. Time will tell.
    "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - William Henry Gates III
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    In gaming rehashing is a normal way of doing business whether you get weather, pets, and lets not forget items it is the gameplay that can be altered and it can be done on a scale of bad to excellent. As far as Sims 4 goes it close to the middle.

The majority of human beings favor rehashing their favorite things - that is why some tv shows going on for decades - people cannot get enough and never want the things to end - to just keep getting new stories added with new technology as it come - not total remake - remakes almost never do well. You have only to look at the success of movies like Twilight, Harry Potter, etc, etc - tv shows like Supernatural, and many others. When these things start failing is when either companies decide to totally redo the game, movie, or show and dropping what every one is used to for something totally new - and the new ones never - ever last nor are they anywhere as popular as the original series people are used to with new stuff added. When ever you drastically change something from what people are used to for over 15 years - you are going to lose a lot of people. You want to succeed - you keep the old that made the stories, shows, games good and add to them new things.

Humans are very much creatures of habit and do not do well when you turn their worlds upside down by tampering with their favorite things - regardless of the reason.

If you doubt what I say then why is it even people who like the game are requesting things that were in the former games - and when Maxis made a stab at delivering a hint of what they asked for - what was the chief gripe - that Maxis had failed that they should have done it like it was done before in Sims 2. People are not asking for things we have never had - they are asking for weather, pets, supernaturals - even Sims behaviors like we have had before....

It proves my point. Ask yourselves - those of you loving Sims 4 in particular - how would you feel thinking your games will never have any of those things we have had in the game since the beginning or at least the last 10 years - What if the next cut means no weather, no pets, no supernaturals, no circular stairs, no boating or oceans ever - what is Maxis vision does not see any of that just like they did not see toddlers and cars, open worlds or CASt - but just more things you have never had before - Maybe they will send your sims off into outer space... or some other things you have never done with none of things you are familiar with?

Maybe some of you will like that also - but I get a feeling the likers are going to keep dropping- the further Maxis moved the game away from the tried and true formula, the familiar things that made the Sims what it was.
    Good Post :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    To quote Battlestar Galactica "All this has happened before, and will happen again."

The Sims 3 faced more or less the same level of criticism, the boycotts, the bugs and even the criticism of the Gurus ability and the call outs for sackings (I'm not levelling that at ANYONE on this thread, but I have seen some pretty brutal posts on the forums.) It wasn't until as late in the franchise as Seasons where I saw the criticism die down.

I'm not going to slate anyone's opinions here as they are just as valid as my own. But from what I can gather it seems like a game is as only as good as the content it's missing. Here's hoping that in time the EPs/GPS and SPs deliver on the "missing" content.
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited February 2016
    Whenever I see threads like 'only newbies think this game is good cuz they have no experience of old games...'
    I get to think if their logic is right, newbies would find older versions are better once they experience.right?
    But things aren't like that. I am not trying to be mean to OP but I am just telling what I see myself.

I myself hung on local forums from 2011 (member number is almost 200,000) and I know myself most players on my local forums now are almost newbies who start sims game from sims4. Of course there are oldies who play other versions or play new versions but newbie number is much bigger nowadays. And most of them want to try other versions cuz EPs like Pets or Seasons and one mod..(I won't tell what that mod is) appeal to them. Thats it.

But really harsh thing is their review is really ugly. not pretty at all. I myself recommended older version to my friends before but I even had to apologize for recommending it. Most reaction is like "actual game play is different from what they heard or screenshots they see" and as soon as open the game they got shocked from UI even to sims and graphic.... blah blah..I am not making up stories. There sure are peoples like me who find older version is a lil bit intersting enough to spend 200 dollars and play months but I am rare case. I myself find original game is so lacking and boring but the reason I had interest in older game was just EPs like Seasons or Pets. That's 'missing and lacking' part to us. Those part will be fulfiled when EPs are added but.. I am not sure.. I just experienced pets and seasons with 2 older versions and I kind of lost interest in them now..not that great than I had fantasy about them.

Newbies experienced older versions and find it dull and boring. Can you guys criticize them? No.

I myself hung on sims freeplay forum from 2012 too and I recall there were lots of peoples there who bashed computer sims game and thought feeplay is much better game. well.. Everyone has difference taste and no need to draw line like you newbies! or you oldies!

(I myself played computer sims game from 2011 but that was only 3 days and I find myself a newbie, but I hung on sims forums for years )
    Post edited by s1mszzang on
  • Options
    etrnal01etrnal01 Posts: 2 New Member
    Eternal Salon and Loft is conveniently located at 19063 Lake Road in Rocky River. At Eternal Salon and Loft we offer a broad range of beauty services including hair, skin, and nails. Our highly trained professionals will transform you and ensure that you are a show stopper everywhere you go. The expert stylists at Eternal Salon and Loft get to know their clients by doing a thorough consultation to ensure a unique and custom look. Our fun and upbeat environment gives a personal touch and leaves a lasting impression. Because we always guarantee the quality of our work, a blowout is included with every cut and color service.

Salon in Rocky River

Salon In Lakewood Ohio
  • Options
    SimmieSimsSimmieSims Posts: 234 Member
    edited February 2016
    etrnal01 wrote: »
    Eternal Salon and Loft is conveniently located at 19063 Lake Road in Rocky River. At Eternal Salon and Loft we offer a broad range of beauty services including hair, skin, and nails. Our highly trained professionals will transform you and ensure that you are a show stopper everywhere you go. The expert stylists at Eternal Salon and Loft get to know their clients by doing a thorough consultation to ensure a unique and custom look. Our fun and upbeat environment gives a personal touch and leaves a lasting impression. Because we always guarantee the quality of our work, a blowout is included with every cut and color service.

Salon in Rocky River

Salon In Lakewood Ohio

Is that a new EP? B)

Reported.

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - William Henry Gates III
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member

Are you kidding me - some of the people saying these things are actually well educated in programming and computer technology! You misjudge your fellow simmers by a long shot Gabe and don't really know many of us who have been simmers for the last 12-16 years.

Thank you, @Writin_Reg! Some like the excuses the developers give and throw it out as gospel. Thank goodness I can discern more of the you know what than others. SMH

Anyway, they are just someone on the forums, they don't work at EA. Irrelevant.

Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited February 2016
    The newbies may find this version of the Sims appealing but I have been with this franchise since day 1 and we have gone backwards.

1.Babies are nothing more then objects and skip the toddler stage to become a 10 year old.
    2.Gotta teleport to visit across the street or the lot next door.
    3.No more color wheel.
    4.No more age sliders.
    Over a decade and the Sims have gone backwards.

I'm trying to see past the arrogance of this post but I won't lie, it has successfully gotten underneath my skin; it doesn't matter if you've been a simmer since "day one" or whether you've just joined in 2016, if you like the game you like the game and no one person is superior to or more "enlightened" than anybody else just because they happen to have been playing longer or like a different version to you. To suggest otherwise is just sad. Furthermore you're presenting your opinion as a fact - who died and made you the spokesperson for every other member here?

I have been playing this franchise since "day one" and while TS4 has not been able to recapture some of the magic I felt when I was playing TS2 I still think it is still a fun little game for what it is. Does it need improvements? Oh heck yes I believe it does and not everyone is going to enjoy it but people here seem to be forgetting that TS1, TS2 and TS3 were never perfect games on paper either and all three games arguably ended up far better at the end of their lifetime than they were when they released.

I'm not saying everyone should bow down at the feet of EA and praise them to the heavens and I am certainly not saying that people do not have a right to complain about what they dislike but lets get real here; the fact you've been a simmer since "day one" means jack-plum. You're not more important than anybody else and you don't get to look down on anybody else just because you've been around "longer".
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @Darkslayer really don't let it bother you. It really doesn't mean anything like you say and it detracts from the real issues. Please don't let it upset you, it really doesn't matter and most people see that :)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member

Sorry, I'll have to disagree here. The devs themselves said they skimped on animations because it was "easier" and they could focus on other aspects of the game. For example the emotion system... which doesn't work.

I haven't seen this quote before. Could you track it down, perhaps? I thought I'd seen every dev statement about the game by now.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    There's nothing EA could ever do to make everyone like the game some don't realise that sacrifices have to be made. Sims 3 was so very laggy and broken so in order to fix it they had to get rid of open world's but people see it as a cheap move. I am one of the lucky ones cause the sacrifices work towards my gameplay and I get that people did have to lose out but someone would of missed out anyway and it's still not over yet so in time you may get what you want but understand that it's one way or the other.
  • Options
    LBDXLBDX Posts: 382 Member
    Honestly, I'm happy that some of those features are gone from TS4. I know it's a relatively unpopular opinion, but things like the CASt and the open world, as neat as they were, they bogged down the game like crazy. Y'all remember those fantastically long loading screens in TS3? Even with a fresh install, no mods, no CC, that game struggled a hot bit. I love that TS4 runs like butter, and as much as I miss being able to actually match all of the woods in my rooms (because I'm generally pretty bad at it in TS4), it has actually helped me branch out from my previously very narrow design style.
    As much as I miss some of the features in the old games, I still really enjoy TS4. If I desperately wanted those things back, I could just go back and play the older games, heh.
    CyXin77.gif
    American in Canada. Spoon rest enthusiast.
    Origin ID: texeganjane
    How to fix miscellaneous bugs in your Sims 4 game, here!