Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I LOVE Laptop mode!

Comments

• Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    I assume you have a cooling pad? @rekandtrs
  • Options
    rekandtrsrekandtrs Posts: 1,017 Member
    I assume you have a cooling pad? @rekandtrs

I don't have anything but the internal cooling fan.. /: would a cooling pad help it better?
  • Options
    They are supposed to help. I don't have one, but I have a heat measuring thingie called RealTemp (it's free) that I run. I watch the temperature, and when I think it's been hot enough for a bit, I just turn off the game and let my machine cool off.
    Some smaller laptops get really hot, though, so they would likely really benefit from a cooling pad.
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    edited February 2016
    rekandtrs wrote: »
    Laptop mode doesn't work with CC unfortunately :(
    Really? that should be looked into that's strange. unfortunately I don't use cc I haven't since Sims 3. I should take laptop mode off sometime and download some cc because I honestly haven't even looked at Sims 4 cc haha

I use very little cc -- but I just switched to laptop mode, and the cc fingernails I use are still visible on my Sim lady.
    Also, I could not see any difference. It looks just as good on laptop as on regular!

you must have a good laptop ☺ mine is good but the graphics card is kinda old.

It's only certain CC that doesn't show up properly in laptop mode, like alpha hairs and eyelashes.
    Really? that should be looked into that's strange. unfortunately I don't use cc I haven't since Sims 3. I should take laptop mode off sometime and download some cc because I honestly haven't even looked at Sims 4 cc haha

I use very little cc -- but I just switched to laptop mode, and the cc fingernails I use are still visible on my Sim lady.
    Also, I could not see any difference. It looks just as good on laptop as on regular!

It is good, but it's four years old, so I'd like to be as gentle to my graphics card as possible. :smile:
    I honestly think I was to hard on mine my laptop gets hot pretty fast and I dunno what to do to fix it other than buy a new one.. :neutral:

Sounds like you're already doing damage to your hardware if your computer gets that hot quickly. A cooling pad will help but regardless, you need to get a laptop or PC that is built for gaming or you're going to end up with a fried computer.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I used to, but I had to turn it off because it made the CC hairs I use have ugly, blonde/brown streaks.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options

It's only certain CC that doesn't show up properly in laptop mode, like alpha hairs and eyelashes.

It is good, but it's four years old, so I'd like to be as gentle to my graphics card as possible. :smile:
    I honestly think I was to hard on mine my laptop gets hot pretty fast and I dunno what to do to fix it other than buy a new one.. :neutral:

Sounds like you're already doing damage to your hardware if your computer gets that hot quickly. A cooling pad will help but regardless, you need to get a laptop or PC that is built for gaming or you're going to end up with a fried computer.

I don't even know what an "alpha" hair is, oh me of little knowledge. :blush:
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member

I don't even know what an "alpha" hair is, oh me of little knowledge. :blush:

type of hairs used in sims 2 and 3 are called alpha hairs hairs used in sims 4 are calyfied
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

The CC hairs have weird streaks in them that look like highlights. Laptop Mode is for lower end computers I'm guessing.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited February 2016

I love how you always post the most expensive stuff (there are a lot cheaper options then the above that work just as well) and berate on people if they aren't running top of the line gaming computer, this women is clearly enjoying playing in laptop mode because it works. Not everybody has or wants to spend $1000 on a "gaming rig" - more importantly you don't NEED to spend that much money to game.

Thats why there are options for low med and high...

So she doesn't have a gaming computer, does that mean shes not allowed to play the Sims because you said so?

If she posted her computers diag for you and you said her computer can't handle the game - does that mean she can't play anymore because you in all your wisdom have told her so despite the fact she is enjoying it in laptop?

Seriously your not Origin support.
  • Options
    TheOrangeBird01TheOrangeBird01 Posts: 171 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

I love how you always post the most expensive stuff (there are a lot cheaper options then the above that work just as well) and berate on people if they aren't running top of the line gaming computer, this women is clearly enjoying playing in laptop mode because it works. Not everybody has or wants to spend $1000 on a "gaming rig" - more importantly you don't NEED to spend that much money to game.

So she doesn't have a gaming computer, does that mean shes not allowed to play the Sims because you said so?

If she posted her computers diag for you and you said her computer can't handle the game - does that mean she can't play anymore because you in all your wisdom have told her so despite the fact she is enjoying it in laptop?

THANK YOU! I was just about to say this! :D

tmKZ8py62rDk4.gif
  • Options
    wildcrosswildcross Posts: 17 Member
    lol wait ive been the sims almost forever and ive never heard of a laptop mode... going to cheack that out
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member

Thank you for this.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited February 2016

If you want to damage your computer that it doesn't meet the recommended requirements, then feel free. :)

It is your computer; you can do whatever you want to it; I am simply just just giving a heads up that you will end up doing damage to the computer - especially if it only has a integrated card.

On a computer not meant for any games (integrated card), you'll most likely experience overheating issues, a fried motherboard, etc.

You need a high-end laptop to meet a medium-end desktop.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    My computer meets all requirements except graphics gard which is Navida GeForce 540M I think... But other that that my computer is above and beyond requirements
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,611 Member
    My computer meets all requirements except graphics gard which is Navida GeForce 540M I think... But other that that my computer is above and beyond requirements

The requirements are for the base game only. With more patches and packs, it might need higher specs in the future.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    I have an XPS 15
    64bit
    6GB RAM
    Processer: intel(r) core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00 GHz
    Is these good specs for now?? Sims 4 is all I have on this PC..
  • Options
    edited February 2016

You'll be fine, but your graphics card is old and more on the lower-end side (the 40M cards (640M/740M/etc.)); they're better than the 30M and lower cards. :)

You would be better off with a GTX 960M though; you can get away with a 950M however. :)
  • Options
    In the future I really hope to get a laptop that has a great graphics card and meets all the requirements without breaking my wallet haha
  • Options
    What is the best navidia graphics card?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

AMD's better than NVidia... But that's just my fanboy in me. :p

In all seriousness...
    For laptops, the best GPU is the mobile GTX 980.

For desktops, the best GPU is the AMD Radeon Fury X2 (not yet released) and the Titan X.

Notifying...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,611 Member
    edited February 2016

GTX980m for a laptop and if I'm not wrong the GTX980ti for desktop. They're very expensive cards tho. You don't need them if you're just playing TS4. You might need a GTX960m instead.

Here is an idea of the cost of a laptop with a 960m card: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-960m/buy-laptop

(Note: I'm not really suggesting you to buy any of these laptops but just want to give you a rough idea of the cost. There might be some cheaper ones you can get, maybe around $900 on other sites.)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member

There is not one card that is better, It all depends on benchmarks and the cards within your budget.
    For laptops though.. Nvidia is the best. (GTX not GT.)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    I honesty love nvidia. I'm considering getting another XPS 15 laptop with a 960M if that is a good choice. All I play is sims on laptop. Will that graphics card last me through the whole sins 4 series?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I honesty love nvidia. I'm considering getting another XPS 15 laptop with a 960M if that is a good choice. All I play is sims on laptop. Will that graphics card last me through the whole sins 4 series?

Yes. :)

I'd avoid Dell for gaming though, since they are not really known for their gaming computers - you could however go with Alienware if you want Dell, but Alienware is known to be over-priced. :)

Good brands for gaming...
    1. Acer
    2. Asus
    3. Aorus/Gigabyte
    4. Alienware
    5. Lenovo
    6. Razer
    7. MSI

Brand doesn't really matter, but you should go with a brand known for their gaming computers.

Anyway, don't let me convince you. :)

If you want an XPS, then go for it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top