Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grr....Maxis rubbing unfaithful Sims in my face for VDAY patch!?

Comments

• Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    aavemyrsky wrote: »
    I did not read the full discussion, so sorry if someone else has already stated what clearly needs to be stated -

1) I'm offended by the assumed monogamy in every relationship my sims have. Some people are not monogamous.

2) In my game, I don't imagine my sims giving religious wedding vows promising they will never again look at another person in ''that'' way (or do things by any other religion-based convention). I imagine them living in a world where there's no gender inequality like in the real world. My sims live in a world in which polyamory can be possible because it is not immediately associated with one guy having and dominating his three wives or something (Giving an example about the main argument people often give against polyamory when discussing it). They live in a world in which that kind of association is not possible - all genders are equal. (In today's world, this is still seen as the ''danger'' in polyamory:men dominating women, and this concern is justifiable considering the current state of affairs in gender inequality. I'm making an argument pro-polyamory as a statement against the traditional convention of marriage, which roots in many questionable principles considering gender equality)

Disclaimer: I do understand that we live in a world in which my views are very unlikely to be reflected in a mainstream PC game. Just making a bit of a tongue-in-cheek point to possibly raise discussion and thoughts.

o:)

I think people are a lot more open then you might think..I believe it really depends where in the world you are. I lived in Europe for sometime and I will say the french are a lot more open minded to polyamory then you think and the swedes/danes don't mind being open with their relationships (or bodies lol - I don't think they sell bathing suits there).

The US has the largest swinger population in the world apparently (Austin and Atlanta taking top place - which is ironic if you take into account Atlantas massive mormon population).

My point being is type of lifestyle you seek exists out their in a community if you look for it and its usually not hard. The world might not accept your views but their is always a community that does.

As for the Sims...well theirs mods for that! (polyamory)
  • Options
    Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

I'm getting second hand embarrassment reading this thread. The overreaction to everything is getting a bit overboard.

You too? I know this forum often gets downright silly with the things they choose to be angry about but this is has been seven pages of pure ridiculousness :/
  • Options
    greenmorekgreenmorek Posts: 63 Member
    She thinks the gardeners a heart throb so what, doesnt mean shes going to cheat. Its a promo pic we dont have an attraction system in game at the moment and its a staged pic.
    nOw9z6f.gif
  • Options
    aavemyrskyaavemyrsky Posts: 143 Member
    @TOLKIEN , Yeah there are communities for many marginal things, and many people live in equal polyamorous relationships despite the fact that their relationship is not acknowledged officially or socially. I have not been to the USA but I have an image that here in Europe (I'm Finnish) things are somewhat different when it comes to these things - although there's much variation between countries (and above all, different people!) as well. My point is that the idea of marriage as a basis of the society could be considered critically. Gay marriage was not legalized here in Finland until 2014, and many people who were against that argued that it will lessen the meaning of ''real'' marriage that is meant to be a ''sacred bond'' between a man and a woman. This is a part of the same problem - we should lead our culture to a direction in which any form of a consensual, equal relationship is acceptable with no doubt.

As for me posting a comment about polyamory on this thread, my intention was to mention what no one else had mentioned before - some relationships are not based on any form of ''ownership'' that makes feelings of jealousy possible. Some people are not committed to one person, they can love one or two people and just have casual sex with the third one (or have sex with everyone or no one and still be in a relationship... the list goes on), etc. I did this with a clear intent, knowing that the topic can even be viewed as a taboo by some, but seeing a thread where no one criticizes the social discourse on which these views (jealousy, unfaithfulness etc.) are based on, I felt a need to do so. I like to provoke thoughts on people about issues that can dismantle restrictive, oppressive and narrow-minded social discourses and ways of thinking. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    aavemyrsky wrote: »
    As for me posting a comment about polyamory on this thread, my intention was to mention what no one else had mentioned before - some relationships are not based on any form of ''ownership'' that makes feelings of jealousy possible. Some people are not committed to one person, they can love one or two people and just have casual sex with the third one (or have sex with everyone or no one and still be in a relationship... the list goes on), etc. I did this with a clear intent, knowing that the topic can even be viewed as a taboo by some, but seeing a thread where no one criticizes the social discourse on which these views (jealousy, unfaithfulness etc.) are based on, I felt a need to do so. I like to provoke thoughts on people about issues that can dismantle restrictive, oppressive and narrow-minded social discourses and ways of thinking. :)

I don't know if you can view relationships as ownership though, at least not in the same way that marriage implies - I understand that is certainly the teachings of various religions, but outside of that many people are in relationships because they want to be with somebody, not to own them.

Thats not to say relationships that start with good intentions can't turn ugly - trust me I see it a lot.

I think people (at least in healthy relationships) desire a partner who shares their same values and believes. I think in general finding ONE person is hard enough, but finding two people at once is something all together different - especially as you get older and become more..."picky" about what you want in your life.

Jealousy is a much more complicated beast, in its basic form its a denial of something somebody else has or can do. While often jealousy is very much a negative emotional form of ownership within relationships - there are also couples who use it in open relationships as an "aphrodisiac" in the matters of woohoo, without the negative response or violence.

Emotions are complicated, certainly more so then in the Sims.

Following that thread, you might find interesting is that in highly educated societies (and members of) they are more likely to be open to dynamic forms of relationships vs lowly educated societies (or members of). Now if those people support them openly or are dictated BY society what is deemed "proper" and act conservatively (despite their own personal preferences) is something entirely different.

Regardless one could argue someone of a deeper personal understanding or education (hence why I can also include hippies lol) of being more open to emotion's multi-facets.

In contrast countries with high childbirth, marriage and conservative viewpoints are much more close minded.

I'm certain your fairly aware being in Finland the current climate of discussion of integration between two cultures in that regard.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    I find it strange that you would actually care that your sims would cheat and be unfaithful minus that picture of the gardener because I never took it as a cheating picture to begin with. Its a game you can do whatever you want that is why it is called the sims. You can make soap opera lives or have them be has faithful as you want it all up to you.

I think its because the game has sloppy faithful coding so all sims will cheat regardless of their traits. I see thats a problem, but if its because it's v-day this month and the picture is offensive in some way i don't agree. Yesterday the patch was about the anniversary and not v-day i think thats pretty obvious
    LOL My Edge- Scott family is made of unfaithfulness done by me. So when I say its all up to you thats is exactly what I meant and the patch was meant for the anniversary not because its Valentines Day.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    The heart thought bubble only ever appears with regards to romance in The Sims 4. The fact that she has her hand over her heart, has that thought bubble above her head, and her husband is in the background with his back turned implies that she is having adulterous thoughts about the gardener. The wife cheating with the trademan whilst her husband's proverbial back is turned is a trope everyone knows and that picture clearly represents that.

I asked 5 people who do not play the sims what they think is happening in the picture and they all said she is checking out the gardener and possibly cheating on her husband.

It would have been more appropriate to have her and her husband cheering and fist pumping the air to show how happy they are that they can hire a gardener.

No, because in the Sims 4, cheering and fist pumping is an indication that woohoo is about to happen and that would DEFINITELY have people thinking that the gardener was about to get a huge surprise from the middle-aged couple.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I find it strange that you would actually care that your sims would cheat and be unfaithful minus that picture of the gardener because I never took it as a cheating picture to begin with. Its a game you can do whatever you want that is why it is called the sims. You can make soap opera lives or have them be has faithful as you want it all up to you.

I think its because the game has sloppy faithful coding so all sims will cheat regardless of their traits. I see thats a problem, but if its because it's v-day this month and the picture is offensive in some way i don't agree. Yesterday the patch was about the anniversary and not v-day i think thats pretty obvious
    LOL My Edge- Scott family is made of unfaithfulness done by me. So when I say its all up to you thats is exactly what I meant and the patch was meant for the anniversary not because its Valentines Day.

Yeah. I'm glad it was an aniversary patch and not a v-day one. After all we are getting romantic garden stuff next week... Idk how its related to v-day but its suppose to be
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    I hate valentine's day lol thats all i have to say at this point

A lady who hate Valentines Day?! <3o:)
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I normally play faithful relationships, only letting my Sims cheat if there's a STORY reason for it; and even then, it's super rare. I'm terrified to switch my families in TS4 because I keep hearing about how people in relationships are running about kissing him, her, and the other! I even tried the jealousy trait, thinking that it'd make it a little easier, but NOPE. EVERYONE WAS JUST MAD ALL THE TIME.
  • Options
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    I normally play faithful relationships, only letting my Sims cheat if there's a STORY reason for it; and even then, it's super rare. I'm terrified to switch my families in TS4 because I keep hearing about how people in relationships are running about kissing him, her, and the other! I even tried the jealousy trait, thinking that it'd make it a little easier, but NOPE. EVERYONE WAS JUST MAD ALL THE TIME.

I gave one of my sims the jealousy trait AND the outdoor trait, which basically cancels out the negative moodlet as she spends most the time outside doing yoga, gardening, swimming, woohooing in the bush...er anyway it still has the desired effecting when another women starts chatting her husband up. ie find a balance for it and it won't be such an issue except when it really makes sense to.
  • Options
    aws200 wrote: »

Lol thats right
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0LAs7X5ybE

I usually crank this tune up on Valentine's Day.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    aws200 wrote: »

It is a pretty pointless holiday. Get me video games instead of roses and plushies! I dunno, seems like a lot of hype for something you should always be expressing to your s/o.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0LAs7X5ybE

I usually crank this tune up on Valentine's Day.

... Oh my gosh. I loved that song.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    Its Nancy she is an awful woman

This is how I saw it too. Nancy is known to be ... not the nicest or most faithful woman.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I wonder if this might be why not a lot are seeing the jealousy fail to occur in the game. It seems like majority are happy family players rather than the cheating type.
    TS4_16th_Anniversary_infographic_final.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    @Scobre what do you mean by "jealousy fail" ? I play jealous sims a lot and the trait appears to be working as intended in my game.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @Scobre what do you mean by "jealousy fail" ? I play jealous sims a lot and the trait appears to be working as intended in my game.
    Not the trait, just the broadcasters for infidelity fail sometimes. Broadcasters fail for a lot of things in the Sims 4. They are getting better, but they still fail sometimes. Broadcasters aka the reactions to events around the Sims. The jealousy trait was probably the quick bandaid fix for it for now. SimGuruMax said they fail sometimes in this thread: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/782859/simulation-tech-talk/p5
    "We have a system called Broadcasters that alert nearby Sims of interesting events. These events include things like fire, infidelity, and streaking Sims. I am positive that this system works in most cases, but I have seen edge cases where Sims fail to respond."
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I know all about the broadcasters. They do sometimes fail but to be quite honest I haven't noticed that happening very often with the jealous trait at all. My jealous sims hardly miss a thing! ;)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I know all about the broadcasters. They do sometimes fail but to be quite honest I haven't noticed that happening very often with the jealous trait at all. My jealous sims hardly miss a thing! ;)
    That's good it is helping with your Sims. :)
  • Options
    Yep... that's great thread you linked to. It's jam packed with really good info. :)

• Options
    Yep... that's great thread you linked to. It's jam packed with really good info. :)
    Yeah, some of it I even forget after reading. XD Like why the babies were designed as objects was due to multitasking. I've had to reread it so many times.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah, some of it I even forget after reading. XD Like why the babies were designed as objects was due to multitasking. I've had to reread it so many times.

Hmm me too. It's a shame threads like this aren't still happening as it would answer a lot of the questions people still have. I've got that thread bookmarked as it's handy to be able to link to it etc.

• Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited February 2016
    ejoslin wrote: »
    The heart thought bubble only ever appears with regards to romance in The Sims 4. The fact that she has her hand over her heart, has that thought bubble above her head, and her husband is in the background with his back turned implies that she is having adulterous thoughts about the gardener. The wife cheating with the trademan whilst her husband's proverbial back is turned is a trope everyone knows and that picture clearly represents that.

I asked 5 people who do not play the sims what they think is happening in the picture and they all said she is checking out the gardener and possibly cheating on her husband.

It would have been more appropriate to have her and her husband cheering and fist pumping the air to show how happy they are that they can hire a gardener.

No, because in the Sims 4, cheering and fist pumping is an indication that woohoo is about to happen and that would DEFINITELY have people thinking that the gardener was about to get a huge surprise from the middle-aged couple.

Oh so when all the sims are fist pumping to the DJ in the nightclub someone is about to woohoo? They even fist pump when they dance too.

Sim-4-dance-club.jpg