Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the attraction to GetTogether?

JuanaJuana Posts: 840 Member
Hi Simmers!

So I'm interested in what exactly everyone loves Get Together for? I ask because I feel like maybe I'm just not undestanding the gameplay properly. Everyone is talking about how much they love Get Together and how much gameplay it adds, but I'm confused because watching the trailer and reading the Sims wiki several days after release, it seems to me as the only addition is that you can label Sims a group and have Djs. (My Sims don't club so much so that's not an attraction for me)

I'm jut wondering if maybe I'm missing something?

Comments

• Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    It doesn't add much game play. Anyway clubs are kind of fun and the world is pretty if you are into European worlds.

The dance skill is boring though you max it up at level 5 .
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    It's so much more. The new dances,dj skill,build buy items,and the world Windenburg is beautiful. There are new interactions. We can now hook up sims with other sims,exchange numbers,cuddle in front of the bonfire and so much more. The new woohoo places like the closet and bush are awesome and with bushes sims can also pee in them and sleep. Nifty if there are no restrooms around.
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    It's the club system to be honest! you can create a club around any activity you like, if that isn't for you then I guess this pack isn't for you. Cafe's are also added which adds some gameplay. I suggest you watch LGR's review of Get Together he explains it way better than me.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    For me it's the world and the ability for groups and clubs. The club/group system is so open ended you can pretty much make any type of group you want (with the types of interactions and objects that are already in the game). Just to name a few, you could make a day care, swim team, slumber parties. The possibilities are endless.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    For me, half the attraction is the world plus the cafés and new pub activities.

The other half is how the club system enlivens the whole world. I'm one of those Simmers who has every house lived-in, and I went around my game and set up many, many clubs. Now that I started finding that I see clubs with specific venues more than clubs with general ones, I've got two sports bars, with a different sports-fan club at each one; I've got a kids playground club for each park; I'm planning separate homework clubs for the two libraries (though I might kill off one library and turn it into something else - retail, probably). Those now show up when I'm playing my more usual households. This EP makes my whole game more lively.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I liked the world thought it was great. But gameplay not so much. When invited to the club outings it was always at someone's home in the middle of a field. I expected there to be new situations going on like a cook off or something. Or when invited to anything just as a random call to go to some crazy party Sims were just standing around not dancing etc.

Groups don't really 'do stuff together', as lead to believe. And in most cases this EP is bugged out (check out the EP threads if you want to know because the bug reports don't contain all the complaints) and so delaying it didn't really make it anymore polished enough for us to see the polish. I couldn't even get a group to all play chess at the same time...so that shows you it's wise to only pick one activity and not two or three.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    It doesn't add much game play for me, I don't do any clubs and have moved all the venues to other worlds. Sometimes it is fun to go to a coffee shop and eat breakfast and have a cup of coffee. Or go to the nightclub to dance. I tried the clubs but they always invited me to go somewhere when I had other things that I needed to do. I like the new interactions, better dancing and always love getting new content.
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    Gameplay is not bad, I find it to be more sociable...basically when your in a club it's hanging out with buddies :P but I do like some of the interaction's it has & the features you can add if you have your own club :)
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    it adds a lot, Windenburg is the largest world so far, with great neighborhoods lots on different terrain heights. thinking about moving a lot from Willow Creek to Windenburg.
    Great build/buy and CAS objects, my builds have gotten better with the new materials.

the group system, adds somewhat of a new relationship for sims, allows you to do things, without ruining/altering their relationship, like if you choose your group to like "fighting" it doesn't demote their relationship, or choose them to woohoo with sims, it doesn't promote a romantic relationship which is great if you're going for a casual friends with benefits sort of thing or just a Harlot.
    I like that groups keep sims together, I find sims staying in the same vicinity of the lot/neighborhood, which is great.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    RosemaryThymeRosemaryThyme Posts: 47 Member
    Personally, it's the world that attracted me. Windenberg is much closer to what I became used to in the Sims 3, and that was something I missed. It's also a beautiful world - I'm very attracted to European styles.

I tried out the clubs, and while it's ok, it didn't pull me in. I wasn't amazed by it, and it's definitely for social/nightclubbing players. I'm more of a family-oriented player, so what I got really excited about was new Build Mode content.

Overall, I think Get Together really only appeals to those players that like to do social things in the game, not those who are more interested in building families.
    Origin ID: Rosemary928
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    it adds a lot, Windenburg is the largest world so far, with great neighborhoods lots on different terrain heights. thinking about moving a lot from Willow Creek to Windenburg.
    Great build/buy and CAS objects, my builds have gotten better with the new materials.

the group system, adds somewhat of a new relationship for sims, allows you to do things, without ruining/altering their relationship, like if you choose your group to like "fighting" it doesn't demote their relationship, or choose them to woohoo with sims, it doesn't promote a romantic relationship which is great if you're going for a casual friends with benefits sort of thing or just a Harlot.
    I like that groups keep sims together, I find sims staying in the same vicinity of the lot/neighborhood, which is great.

The relationship thing you're talking about isn't true. It does have an affect on your sims relationships, and certain interactions like woohoo will not autonomously take place without some kind of romantic relationship.

In my experience the group system doesn't keep sims together. It keeps them doing club do's (and don'ts because clubs leaders don't scold anyone) but as for "together" that's a stretch. The only way your sims will do something together is if you the player choose to push that, autonomous interactions are entirely separate. Which means your sims, while they may be doing stuff you want them to, could be in four different corners of the room not socializing or interacting together in any way.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Groups don't really 'do stuff together', as lead to believe. And in most cases this EP is bugged out (check out the EP threads if you want to know because the bug reports don't contain all the complaints) and so delaying it didn't really make it anymore polished enough for us to see the polish. I couldn't even get a group to all play chess at the same time...so that shows you it's wise to only pick one activity and not two or three.

Sure they do. I know TS4 gets a lot of bad comments because of the percieved party / hookup mentality. But honestly, this game is what you make of it. My main Sim started a club mostly to help tend his very large garden. But because you can change the activities of the group on the fly, you can really do anything you want. Does every Sim do exactly what you wish? No, but then that happens in real life. You always have that one friend who is doing something weird.

I might start out doing a bit of gardening, and then switch it up and have a barbeque all at the same gathering. Or the might decide to hit the gameroom and play on the various games. Or they might go to the gym or swimming together. With the new stuff pack, I built a theater and they went to the movies together. And the call or text at times to each other.

It adds a richer social aspect. YMMV.

• Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I just use it to pull in sims at will. You can pretty much hold sims hostage with it.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I love it, my sims in my current save aren't partying much at the moment as they are poor but I love creating unique clubs, I love the fact you can now recieve texts and calls from other sims after significant events. It just makes my town feel alive. I like the invite system, I hated party invites in 3 but it's so much better in 4.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    The texting feature is a bit odd. I just had a sim couple who met in their singles club. He sent her a text talking about someone she just met. At their wedding. While he was standing beside her. Um. Ok. Also, since it was a single's club, the moment they got married they were kicked out of the club.
  • Options
    staravia81staravia81 Posts: 369 Member
    I think the new world is beautiful. I also think the club feature does add something. The clubs have allowed me to add an extra dimension to the lives of my sims.

When I first got a better understanding of what GT was going to be before it was released, I originally wanted it to create gangs/bands of delinquents. But you can do so much more than just that and other "YA" stuff like dancing and hooking up. For example, in my current game I have a children's scouting club, which allows for the kids to socialize, explore the outdoors and skill up. It's really what you make of it.
    My builds!
    EA ID: staravia81
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    staravia81 wrote: »
    I think the new world is beautiful. I also think the club feature does add something. The clubs have allowed me to add an extra dimension to the lives of my sims.

When I first got a better understanding of what GT was going to be before it was released, I originally wanted it to create gangs/bands of delinquents. But you can do so much more than just that and other "YA" stuff like dancing and hooking up. For example, in my current game I have a children's scouting club, which allows for the kids to socialize, explore the outdoors and skill up. It's really what you make of it.

I like you scouting club idea. :)

People just don't realize how opened ended clubs are, it's not all about making clubbing and partying groups.
  • Options
    taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    I really love the club feature. It allows me to create so many stories. For example, in my game the "Garden Gnomes" club and "League Of Adventurers" club meet up at Hare Square (both clubs hangout there) and I have the "GG" Club which is full of adults, do what they're supposed to which is garden but I also have them cook and interact with the LOA club which is full of children. Instead of having clubs completely ignore each other or meet up at different hangouts I have them overlap with each other to create more interesting stories. With the club feature I'm able to create the atmosphere I've been wanting in TS4 which is a more lively, productive world. I realize this game isn't going to make everything happen for me so I put in a couple hours editing each club to my liking and making some rivals, some allies, and some that just ignore others and do their own thing. I believe GT is an open door to many possibilities and the only limit to those possibilities is the line you set for yourself, I guess. XD anyway's it's not everyones cup of tea but I enjoy it.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I have a painting club and by now all the members are painting masterpieces which I turn around and sell in my store.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    I find the main additions of the EP awesome, Windenburg looks amazing, clubs are so versatile and fun, and cafe's are a great addition. On my main save, I send my main sim to the cafe for coffee and breakfast before they start work, and after work I go to a pub and start a gathering with his club. I have my sims go travel and socialize much more with Get Together.
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Frn0731 wrote: »
    I have a painting club and by now all the members are painting masterpieces which I turn around and sell in my store.

For my legacy challenge I just have a never ending club gathering and locked the club members in a room (It has easels, bed, cooler, trashcan, and bathroom) and they just sit there and paint all day. Awesome for money :D
  • Options
    Simsfan9911Simsfan9911 Posts: 155 Member
    edited January 2016
    I think it adds elements of gameplay sims players have been asking for. For me personally i hate it we are a team and a big family sometimes your just not gonna love it and im glad someone else does. There are other eps i hope we will get that fit my personal tastes and what i want. Ive bought it and i own it but no not for me at least not this time. Its still cool though.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »

The relationship thing you're talking about isn't true. It does have an affect on your sims relationships, and certain interactions like woohoo will not autonomously take place without some kind of romantic relationship.

In my experience the group system doesn't keep sims together. It keeps them doing club do's (and don'ts because clubs leaders don't scold anyone) but as for "together" that's a stretch. The only way your sims will do something together is if you the player choose to push that, autonomous interactions are entirely separate. Which means your sims, while they may be doing stuff you want them to, could be in four different corners of the room not socializing or interacting together in any way.

As a club activity, the woohoo interaction often appears, and my club members haven't built/gained a romantic relationship from woohooing
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Frn0731 wrote: »

For my legacy challenge I just have a never ending club gathering and locked the club members in a room (It has easels, bed, cooler, trashcan, and bathroom) and they just sit there and paint all day. Awesome for money :D

This is freakin' hilarious. @Gabe_oz sets up a sweat shop. XD
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2016
    In my opinion, the greatest attraction of Get Together is making npc clubs (where all members are unplayed sims that you don't control). My world feels so much different now and it's freaking amazing!

Whenever I take my sims to an art gallery I see the McKinlays there; a wealthy, snobby family from Willow Creek that likes to view art and is mean to everyone who dares talk to them. I head to a bar and I see supporters of Windenburg FC all wearing their team's red shirt, playing pub games and drinking. I go to a park and I might see the Mustangs, a friendly outdoorsy family who likes to barbecue together. If my sims dare go to a certain lounge they risk crossing path with The Organization, a group of gangsters who hang out inside their secret room and only go out to beat up and fight random sims. I also have a coffee shop where my sim's rival gamer club MLG hangs out. They use all of the computers and arcade machines and are mean to members of the geek squad. I also have a club which consists of 2 musicians who hang out at The Blue Velvet and play music, it's almost like having a live band.

As you can see, you can use the club system to build the world however you want. Clubs are really fun when you're controlling them but nothing beats seeing a group of sim that you created and have no control over doing the things that they should be doing. It's perfect for storytelling and adds a whole lot of immersion.
    Post edited by Mightydan on