Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open world totally breaks immersion for sure

Comments

• Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. I preferred the self employment careers in TS3 but had sims in the RH careers as well. But in TS4, all they do all day long is work, work work. And yes I know many players ignore that but regardless, it's designed to make you work, work work so you can skill skill skill and unlock all that locked content. UGH. Much, much worse IMO than TS3 ever was.

As I've said before, I really don't get why people slam TS3 so hard when many of the same devs are working on TS4 and putting similar elements in the game, only making them far worse than they ever were in TS3.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

As I've said before, I really don't get why people slam TS3 so hard when many of the same devs are working on TS4 and putting similar elements in the game, only making them far worse than they ever were in TS3.
    I don't know. It is still the same Sims Studio that have worked on both games so it is only normal for both games to have similar elements to it. A few of the Gurus have been around since the 1st and 2nd games too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. I preferred the self employment careers in TS3 but had sims in the RH careers as well. But in TS4, all they do all day long is work, work work. And yes I know many players ignore that but regardless, it's designed to make you work, work work so you can skill skill skill and unlock all that locked content. UGH. Much, much worse IMO than TS3 ever was.

Yep. We will have to agree to disagree. I much prefer what the same devs are doing with 4. Especially with the sandbox of GT.

At least 4 doesn't have opportunities on top of careers. ;) And I hope it never does. Self employment is available in sims 4 as well. I can paint, write, collect and sell and do anything I want with absolutely no structure or deadlines.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    fullspiral wrote: »

At least 4 doesn't have opportunities on top of careers. ;) And I hope it never does. Self employment is available in sims 4 as well. I can paint, write, collect and sell and do anything I want with absolutely no structure or deadlines.
    It does for the active careers, to do this in order to get career progression like the angry poo for scientist. XD Plus there are opportunities for aspirations and parties and school too. At least Sims 3 opportunities were optional and could be canceled for new different ones. Both games have quests. I do agree about being able to do self employment for both games.

One thing GT did do really well was not having an annoying opportunity system with it. I have my sandbox play again. <3
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Yes, I know TS4 has self employment even though you can't designate your sims as self employed - at least I don't think? And for the umpteenth time, the Opportunities could be turned completely OFF. Personally I just always click off on the ones I don't feel like doing and only do the ones that appeal to me. Even if I accept them, I can dismiss them later if I change my mind. At least I find them much more interesting and varied than a bunch of repetitive task lists, and they're entirely optional and won't affect jobs at all, but to each their own.

Apparently some people don't like facts that interfere with their opinions. :D

• Options
    Scobre wrote: »

It does for the active careers, to do this in order to get career progression like the angry poo for scientist. XD Plus there are opportunities for aspirations and parties and school too. At least Sims 3 opportunities were optional and could be canceled for new different ones. Both games have quests. I do agree about being able to do self employment for both games.

One thing GT did do really well was not having an annoying opportunity system with it. I have my sandbox play again. <3

Active careers. It's not anywhere else in the game.

I will disagree about sims 3 every time. Do you know how much I had to turn off? Story progression, celebrities, supernaturals, pets, opportunities. lol. Even turning things off doesn't stop or fix it. Everyone is a celebrity or supernatural in sims 3 and wild horses and racoons still have routing issues even if you turn them off in NRAAS.

The ONLY reason I play 3 at all is to have one sim complete every single tomb in WA. And if the game didn't mess up and crash, I might be able to do it! I don't know how many sims I have sent on that quest only to lose the save to some glitch or another.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I will disagree about sims 3 every time. Do you know how much I had to turn off? Story progression, celebrities, supernaturals, pets, opportunities. lol. Even turning things off doesn't stop or fix it. Everyone is a celebrity or supernatural in sims 3 and wild horses and racoons still have routing issues even if you turn them off in NRAAS.

The ONLY reason I play 3 at all is to have one sim complete every single tomb in WA. And if the game didn't mess up and crash, I might be able to do it! I don't know how many sims I have sent on that quest only to lose the save to some glitch or another.
    Well it is on the same Gurus that are working on TS4 for not fixing that. XD So many things in the Sims 4 I'm having to fix with the MC Command Center now. So I'm going through the same thing using mods. Wait didn't you say you didn't use mods for Sims 3? I guess you did if NRAAS was required. Rotational players are still having issues with the Sims 4. Anyway you can keep posting that the Sims 4 is so much better, but it is still facing similar issues the Sims 3 did. So we are just going to have to agree to disagree on that. I still find Sims 3 and 4 equal to each other with gameplay and technical issues. I am just so glad NRAAS mod inspired the MC Command Center Mod. Simmers needed a customization tool again to get things to work just right. Yes having to use a mod as intensive as the MC Command Center just to rule over my game breaks immersion for me. I shouldn't need it, but I do. I loved NRAAS mod just as much.
  • Options

Well it is on the same Gurus that are working on TS4 for not fixing that. XD So many things in the Sims 4 I'm having to fix with the MC Command Center now. So I'm going through the same thing using mods. Wait didn't you say you didn't use mods for Sims 3? I guess you did if NRAAS was required. Rotational players are still having issues with the Sims 4. Anyway you can keep posting that the Sims 4 is so much better, but it is still facing similar issues the Sims 3 did. So we are just going to have to agree to disagree on that. I still find Sims 3 and 4 equal to each other with gameplay and technical issues. I am just so glad NRAAS mod inspired the MC Command Center Mod. Simmers needed a customization tool again to get things to work just right. Yes having to use a mod as intensive as the MC Command Center just to rule over my game breaks immersion for me. I shouldn't need it, but I do. I loved NRAAS mod just as much.

I said I didn't use mods until well after sims 4 came out. That's when I added NRAAS. It didn't help much in terms of stopping wild horses from being shut off and the routing. And as I said, I only have a couple of terrain replacements and one mod that removes the happy room buff. That's it!

I am a rotational player in sims 4. I don't have, or need MC Command.

Sims 3 and sims 4 are completely different engines and I don't find the problems near as severe in sims 4.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I said I didn't use mods until well after sims 4 came out. That's when I added NRAAS. It didn't help much in terms of stopping wild horses from being shut off and the routing. And as I said, I only have a couple of terrain replacements and one mod that removes the happy room buff. That's it!

Sims 3 and sims 4 are completely different engines and I don't find the problems near as severe in sims 4.
    Ah ok. Poor luthienrising is having issues with her rotational play thanks to the recent patch. I remember I had issues playing rotationally because of the incest bug. You are lucky you don't need it. I haven't run into the autonomous woohoo issue yet, but I'm thinking the relationship culling was the temp solution for that. Sadly the Sims 4 isn't free of its own issues.

It helps being a member of MTS. Interesting hearing from modders what is bothering Simmers in their games or not. They offer a lot of solutions with their mods. I'm happy I just found this one to help: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=568925 So never really bothered me hearing if something wasn't working properly in a Sims game over the years. I don't know why it is different with forums. Not the end of the world stating if something breaks.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    The Sims 4 doesn't even offer that much detail in its tiny prop filled closed off world. Sad.
    Plus we can actually edit that neighborhood if we wanted to, by placing new lots of various sizes, new props too. TS4 doesn't allow that. Sad.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options

Ah ok. Poor luthienrising is having issues with her rotational play thanks to the recent patch. I remember I had issues playing rotationally because of the incest bug. You are lucky you don't need it. I haven't run into the autonomous woohoo issue yet, but I'm thinking the relationship culling was the temp solution for that. Sadly the Sims 4 isn't free of its own issues.

It helps being a member of MTS. Interesting hearing from modders what is bothering Simmers in their games or not. They offer a lot of solutions with their mods. I'm happy I just found this one to help: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=568925 So never really bothered me hearing if something wasn't working properly in a Sims game over the years. I don't know why it is different with forums. Not the end of the world stating if something breaks.

Most times, my sims will autonomously clean up their plates when they are done. There's times I drag them when I have other things for them to do, but the majority of the time they do it themselves. I've seen them sit on occasion before picking up, but not always.

Just tonight I had my gardening girls try to have a meal together at the park. 3 sat and ate, but it seemed Annabelle couldn't because the platter was in her way on the table. She grabbed servings, but ended up putting them on the ground. And she didn't eat until one of the others left the table and she had a spot.

To me, I think.....okay. I have an issue with seating there. For some reason the game is registering 4 spots at the picnic table and one is taken by the serving platter. I don't think I need to go get a mod for that. Nor do I think I need to address it with the devs. or complain about it. I just need to change my seating. Or maybe add a counter beside the bbq for them to set the platter down.

I'm a laid back person irl. And I play my game that way. I don't get upset over every little thing. I adapt.

Most of the "issues" in sims 4 are very minor indeed.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

IKR? And it really puzzles me that people will diss on TS3 Opportunities system so hard, then give a complete pass to the TS4 careers system. They're the same idea, only taken to the mind numbingly boring extreme in TS4 because there's no variety whatsoever. At least the Opportunitites had some variety. And like you say, it's not a big surprise. Some of the same producers and developers are making this new game.

Now performance issues are another kettle of fish and yet they seem to be following a similar pattern as well. Some have very few issues while others have lots of bugs and crashes and everything in between. So I see an awful lot of similarities too, and I don't mean that in a good way.

• Options
    edited December 2015

IKR? And it really puzzles me that people will diss on TS3 Opportunities system so hard, then give a complete pass to the TS4 careers system. They're the same idea, only taken to the mind numbingly boring extreme in TS4 because there's no variety whatsoever. At least the Opportunitites had some variety. And like you say, it's not a big surprise. Some of the same producers and developers are making this new game.

Now performance issues are another kettle of fish and yet they seem to be following a similar pattern as well. Some have very few issues while others have lots of bugs and crashes and everything in between. So I see an awful lot of similarities too, and I don't mean that in a good way.
    Pretty much. Oh just found out MC Command Center added an occult option. So yay more options. But it's ok, thread inspired me to ask one of the Gurus for more options for the Sims 4. That's the thing, I don't want the Sims 4 to remain stagnant. I want the bug fixes and patches done for the game. I don't want it left broken like how the Sims 3 was. I really wished they had followed the Sims 2 pattern and made a laptop friendly version of the Sims 4 separate. I wouldn't mind if there was a sequel to the Life Stories series especially for Castaway. I really hope they make two separate versions of the game, because either way having PC and laptop mixed didn't do either the Sims 3 or 4 any favors. Both have alienated customers on one extreme or another. So nope I refuse to let the Sims 4 follow the footsteps of SimCity. Everyone should be able to play the game they paid for, not just small niches of the community. It isn't fun not being able to play the game because it breaks. I know some treat the Sims 4 like a baby they need to protect, but they got to let that baby grow up too otherwise it will stay a baby.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2015
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Sims 4 still has rabbit holes. They didn't just go away when Sims 3 ended.
    In a way there are more, because most of the time you're not following all your sims. And the sims you're not controlling aren't even doing anything. At least when I send my sim to a store in 3 he's buying things or he's learning how to fish. In Sims 2 you can live the life of every sim you play because time goes back when you return to your home lot. Can't say I'm a fan of that, but at least when you want to, you can live the life of all your sims at the fullest. All of them.

Now, that maybe not important to everyone (which I get, I'm not a micromanager myself and some of my sims get more attention than others, especially in large families), but hating rabbitholes because they are rabbitholes sounds a bit artificial to me. Making something terrible out of a similar thing that's just handled differently in the different games. Magnifying the downside just for the sake of it.

I don't think it's being overly critical or anything, I really do think rabbitholes broke the immersion a ton. The whole reason why Will Wright created The Sims was to be able to actually see inside the buildings of SimCity and get a much better glimpse of those weird creatures that roamed around each city, Sims. To go full circle back to staring at buildings again just feels like it defeats the whole purpose of the franchise.

Each Sims game has its downsides, and I see nothing wrong with pointing them out. They all have their upsides too, albeit some more than others of course.
    Each Sims game has it downsides, they're all equal in that respect, but somehow some Sims games are more equal than others. Because when it concerns pointing out downsides of Sims 3, the downsides are nothing less than 'horrid', 'terrible' or 'a mess'. The downsides of the other games are 'charming', or 'nostalgic', or 'mildly annoying'. That's just completely over the top, because you can't enter some buildings in the other versions either. And it's not necessary or even desirable to enter them all (see Pary's post).

I follow what you're saying about Will Wright, I was one of his very first fans actually without knowing, even before he had had the chance to develop The Sims :# I vividly remember watching my father playing SimCity, somewhere in the 90's, literally thinking: this is so cool, I love this, but I don't want to build neighborhoods and roads and industry and stuff, I want to go inside those houses. I want to know who lives there, who are those people driving in those tiny cars. Literally this:

(such a powerful trailer by the way; just as powerful as the trailer where open world was introduced imo)
    That was the idea, but that idea had to be transferred into a playable game. Rabbitholes in my opinion are the most perfect solution for places where you can't follow your sim (which is exactly the same in Sims 1, 2 and 4, only there you can't see where your sim went). In fact it contributes to the immersion for me, not breaking it 'a ton'. There goes Charlie, off to school/work. Poof, and gone is Charlie, vanished into thin air. One minute he was there, the next he was gone. Where is he? We have no idea but let's hope he'll be dropped on our porch again by the end of the day.

I understand people dislike they can't follow their sims everywhere (not because I agree, I think they are overestimating the charm of following your sims constantly, but I understand it), but I really don't get why it being an actual building makes it worse. @luthienrising explained it once (and in fact I could follow that), by stating it's the frustration of being so curious what's in there and not being able to see. Even when I don't share that curiosity, ok, I get that. But why a building would break the immersion and is worse than sims vanishing is beyond me. Besides, even though I don't like sims vanishing, I can't imagine I'd ever be that passionate about it. "Sims vanishing is horrid, I hate it!" Neh, I just prefer them going somewhere, that's all.
    True, they are better than nothing at all, but TS3 used them far too much IMHO. For instance, the spa, grocery store, book store, movie theater, town hall, and other rabbitholes should have (and I believe could have) been open venues.
    The town hall? You mean the place that doesn't even exist in Sims 2 and 4 ;)?
    All the venues you mention are only fun 'open' when there's some kind of gameplay attached to it. The library has always been open in Sims 3 and as for me, I find it utterly boring. It isn't even a real library where my sim can borrow books. The museum is open, but the art exposed there is silly and can be found in every household because it's all available in buy mode.

One example of the greatness of rabbitholes for me is the campus. It looks and feels like a real campus, thanks to the rabbithole buildings. Buildings that could have never been built like that in build mode.

(long post, sorry, I guess I felt like babbling :p )

Well, for me, all of the Sims games have their downsides. Criticisms off the top of my head: TS1 is very outdated, can be too difficult to keep up with Sims' needs, isn't full 3D, has no generational gameplay, and no proper aging. TS2 is becoming pretty outdated, confines us to one neighborhood similar to TS3 although has subhoods, and the art direction is kind of inconsistent. TS3 can be buggy and unstable, has a weird mix of goal based gameplay and sandbox, and has some bad EP concepts. Lastly, TS4 has a horrid gameplay design, is too restrictive, lacks important gameplay, feels rushed, and so on. I'm too lazy to go all out with a pro/con list, but my whole point is each one has its ups/downs for everyone. I get what you're saying though, some people glorify a certain iteration over another and don't necessarily acknowledge the fact all of them have downsides.

Anyway, I don't have anything against rabbit holes at all. In fact, I absolutely love having lofts/high rises in TS3, and they are built off of rabbitholes. However, I just don't like EA using them lazily for buildings that could have very well been exciting venues (grocery store, book store, restaurant, etc). It just feels like TS3's developers used rabbitholes as a quick way out in many instances.
    Just to be clear, I was by no means referring to you personally, I meant pointing out downsides by simsfans (on these forums, outside these forums I never really witnessed it) in general ;) It's funny by the way, that weird mix of goal based gameplay and sandbox in Sims 3 in fact is an upside for me. I love that variety. One minute I'm sandboxing with my sim, the next I send him to a tomb and fullfil assignments.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I also disagree there are more rabbit holes in 4. And yes, they do break immersion. I hated going out in Sims 3 because I got stuck watching a building while they were inside.

Yeah, that can stink. Pretty much like when you send a sim in 4 off to a regular job and just stare at their house until they come home. That is when I decide usually to have a good look around town and see what is going on, or switch to another household for a little bit and play them, or switch to another family member or pet if the household isn't a family of one. Which I do play pretty often, households of one. But I jump around a LOT in that instance. Or just have the single sim household work a job that isn't a rabbit hole.

My sims don't have jobs in sims 4 :D lol. And if they do, and they are a single sim household, the time goes so quick that I barely have time to change their tasks from normal to work hard, to meet new people and they are home before I know it!

And for me, I never cared what was going on around the town. I just could not connect to the sims in sims 3 at all. OTOH, in sims 4, I am always out and about seeing what's going on and who's out on the lots.

I can switch to another family member in 4 too, if I find what's going on is not what I am interested in. That rarely happens though because the time flies out on the lots and soon enough, my sim is too tired to carry on.

Aside from the work thing, and spaceship woohoo, there are really not a lot of rabbit holes. Unlike sims 3.

It sounds like you are comparing the completed TS3 to the relatively new TS4. Granted, most of the RHs in TS4 are invisible at present, but TBH but it's yet to be determined if they add more. I would hope they avoid closed lots that could hold more game play, but if GTW is any indication I'm not sure that's going to be a big improvement because those career lots are only open under very limited conditions.

If or when I play TS4 I've decided I'm not going to have sims in the regular jobs either, because I really intensely dislike how they've done careers in TS4. I will have to find things they can earn money at or cheat funds but that careers system - UGH.
    Yes, the thing with those jobs is, that when you've done them (and I totally agree they are so lineair and boring), why do them again? Once done a career I'd never choose that same career again for my sim, at least, not feeling the need to follow them there anymore. Which would come down to: sending them to a rabbithole, just like in 1, 2 and 3) It all sounds so nice, 'open careers', but once you've done them it becomes repetitive.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    We're still debating that?
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    ^^^Why not?
  • Options
    No we're not, we're just pretending :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Honestly, the best thing they could do for the carpools was make them appear on the road areas where the cars are driving. That we be the best thing for them to do, or at least make them walk to the edge of the neighborhood.
    What carpools? The game doesn't have real cars in it. Just FX effect. But makes me miss carpools and school buses and taxis a lot.

I mean if they decide to add them back in.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    I have a feeling by the way people are often basing their aversion against rabbitholes on Sims 3 basegame. Because in my current (finished) game I can shop with my sim and I can take them to a restaurant (I have the bistro thing, with a mod attached to it to make it better; haven't tried it yet so I have no idea how it works). And I could make a Spa I guess if I wanted to.
    One thing that always disappointed me about rabbit holes was that there were always building details on there that I couldn't make on an actual lot. One of the town life venues had curved walls even! So if they can make them look consistent with the buildings that are actually enterable, then they'd bother me less. (Plus, you know, using them for open world.)
    That's in fact one of the things I love about them. I regret I can't create houses with curved walls in the game, everything I build has to be square/squarish. But I wouldn't mind less if there wouldn't be any curved walled rabbitholes. On the contrary, at least we have those to give the town a realistic touch. I guess you mean those:

5619629_orig.png

I don't object to a world looking like that. There's one world where the rabbitholes put me off. Lunar Lakes.

Screenshot-7.jpg

Ugh, what a bore.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I have a feeling by the way people are often basing their aversion against rabbitholes on Sims 3 basegame. Because in my current (finished) game I can shop with my sim and I can take them to a restaurant (I have the bistro thing, with a mod attached to it to make it better; haven't tried it yet so I have no idea how it works). And I could make a Spa I guess if I wanted to.
    One thing that always disappointed me about rabbit holes was that there were always building details on there that I couldn't make on an actual lot. One of the town life venues had curved walls even! So if they can make them look consistent with the buildings that are actually enterable, then they'd bother me less. (Plus, you know, using them for open world.)
    That's in fact one of the things I love about them. I regret I can't create houses with curved walls in the game, everything I build has to be square/squarish. But I wouldn't mind less if there wouldn't be any curved walled rabbitholes. On the contrary, at least we have those to give the town a realistic touch. I guess you mean those:

5619629_orig.png

I don't object to a world looking like that. There's one world where the rabbitholes put me off. Lunar Lakes.

Screenshot-7.jpg

Ugh, what a bore.

The restaurant mod is pretty simple. Just place Ani's bistro stove down and her menus, set up the eatery the way you want it. Then go back into live mode, pause your game, and pan over to the restaurant. Go inside, now click on the stove, click "disable shifts", then you can add a chef or two, and waiters, also their hourly pay. Then set your menu items, and price. Then click "enabled shifts". Also, there is an option for your playable family to get all the money earned for the restaurant, if you don't want that set it to "false", and if you want to choose your sims items ordered, make sure to set that option to "false" as well, or the game will pick a menu item for you instead.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    @JoAnne65 I agree the complaints about RH must mostly be referring to the TS3 BG. The only open lots that TS4 has in its BG that TS3 didn't are the bars and clubs. TS4 still has parks, libraries, and museums that are open, as does TS3.

One thing they are doing with TS4 that I really dislike is to make "hidden" or off-the-map lots that most of the time require grinding to access. With GT, I guess they decided that players weren't going to their hidden lots as often as they thought we should, so they make a lot that's not hidden but can't be edited or bulldozed. Very bad precedent IMO. Maxis, how about you actually letting me rule? The cake is a lie!

• Options

5619629_orig.png

Screenshot-7.jpg

Ugh, what a bore.

The restaurant mod is pretty simple. Just place Ani's bistro stove down and her menus, set up the eatery the way you want it. Then go back into live mode, pause your game, and pan over to the restaurant. Go inside, now click on the stove, click "disable shifts", then you can add a chef or two, and waiters, also their hourly pay. Then set your menu items, and price. Then click "enabled shifts". Also, there is an option for your playable family to get all the money earned for the restaurant, if you don't want that set it to "false", and if you want to choose your sims items ordered, make sure to set that option to "false" as well, or the game will pick a menu item for you instead.
    Thanks, I must confess I didn't really get it. I want the restaurant just for visiting purposes at the moment, not to make any money.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

5619629_orig.png

Screenshot-7.jpg

Ugh, what a bore.

I can understand them looking aesthetically pleasing, but it really bothers me if we can't recreate something that's at least close to it.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    No problem. Oh, before I forget you can also set the uniforms for the staff as well. I only have one sim who actually owns a restaurant, and it's a carry over from the one that she owned in my Sims 2 game. The other restaurants in my world are simply dining establishments for my simmies! I just wish I could have a sim man the teppanyaki grill! That would be the icing on my cake. LOL
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!