Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open world totally breaks immersion for sure

Comments

• Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    I hope the sims 5 has a loading screen between each and every room on a lot. There is just wayyy too much open space in ts4 that's making me feel disconnected from my sims.

rofl_o_910314_zpssxqsuhqj.gif

More load screens and even less animations. That's the best way to go!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    JayceMarvelJayceMarvel Posts: 42 Member
    > @AthenaOnyx said:

> I know I'm going to earn some zagadoos for this. What I'd like is if s5 has somewhat open world like Skyrim. Like there would a huge land mass that is completely opened, world designers could build anything want mountains, forests, fields, sometimes you'd see random sims just wondering around in the world. Then there would be regions that would require a loading screen. These could be urban areas, tropical beachy areas, or quaint rural towns etc. everything by the buildings would be open, here you'd see plenty of sims just walking around doing there own thing. If you want to go into a building then that's going to require another loading screen. Let's say you're just walking through the city, you might see a mountain in the distance, if you leave that region you could actually walk to that mountain.
    >
    > The reason I'd like things this way is because I think it's a good compromise between what would function well and what would make the game the most realistic.

I actually fully agree with this, and I was thinking something similar. One of the reasons for the closed world in TS4 was to make it more accessible to people with lower quality computers, but they took it about 20,000 steps too far. Open town sections would be the way to go for a good compromise. Make them into smaller, bite-sized bits, and only have a loading screen between sections, not lots. Sections could be double the size of TS4 neighborhoods, and could be laid out in a grid system, so there's some continuity. Updates could add new pieces of the map, leading up to expansion packs with with multiple pieces to go with their new content.

It would also be cool to have urban/rural sections with development level maximums to reflect the zones, and enforced population densities. I'd hate to be out in a rural area and have it get all crowded with townies and randoms wandering around, but I'd also hate to hit the big city and have it completely empty.
  • Options
    MulecatMulecat Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2015
    im d/l that world as i type, so beautiful. back to the topic i would definately love the open world.

@GoldenBuffy exactly i feel like im stuff back into a single lot because i detest loading screens. even though we had them in sims 2 that was ages ago (and acceptable at that time) and we've seen they can do open world so why didnt they just expand on that?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I hope the sims 5 has a loading screen between each and every room on a lot. There is just wayyy too much open space in ts4 that's making me feel disconnected from my sims.

Maybe they need a loading screen between every frame of an animation. That might make you feel better Alysha :)
    Not a loading screen but it is like that, kind of, when they interact with their baby.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

rofl_o_910314_zpssxqsuhqj.gif

More load screens and even less animations. That's the best way to go!
    Off topic: they don't look like they're ROFL'ing to me. Rather like they're being poisoned :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    So true, @Mulecat. The loading screens where something expected back in 2004, that was the technology back then. There is no excuse for it in 2014 -2015. And correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Olympus going to be an open world, since it was online and players would have been able to visit other players at their homes? So if that was so, why did they toss out that gaming engine and design a new one that couldn't handle an open world concept implemented correctly and without the issues that many players had with Sims 3? It boggles the mind. Well, the whole game (Sims 4) boggles the mind.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Those are beautiful pictures, but I don't see any Sims. If EA wants to build another open world system then I want 5,000 Sims running about so I can believe it's a 'world'. I don't want limits on how many show up anywhere, and I expect to see traffic jams, Sims hustling and bustling and the sidewalks so full of Sims mine can hardly get through. lol Seriously, I would upgrade to a gaming machine with whistles if they would build the sort of game I want.

When I played Barcelona the world was active and populated. It was a great vacation destination for my sims. I might have to move a family or just a couple there to live for a while.

That's one of the improvement I had expected with Sims 4. A real rush hour traffic jam for sims going to and coming home from work. Kids waiting at the bus stop for their school bus. An actually public transpiration (i.e. better subway, buses, cabs, possibly a trolley, and trains.) And not to forget cars again with all the working animations from Sims 2. Oh, and real grass, not green blobs on the ground.

Yes, I was almost convinced that fake realtor trailer people were passing around (before the game was announced) on Youtube etc. 'was' the TS4. Lol I wish.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    AthenaOnyx wrote: »
    Sarcasm aside, if the sims 5 (that's if it's ever made) brings back open world, would you want a new and improved sims 3 open world or do you want a semi-open world instead?

I know I'm going to earn some zagadoos for this. What I'd like is if s5 has somewhat open world like Skyrim. Like there would a huge land mass that is completely opened, world designers could build anything want mountains, forests, fields, sometimes you'd see random sims just wondering around in the world. Then there would be regions that would require a loading screen. These could be urban areas, tropical beachy areas, or quaint rural towns etc. everything by the buildings would be open, here you'd see plenty of sims just walking around doing there own thing. If you want to go into a building then that's going to require another loading screen. Let's say you're just walking through the city, you might see a mountain in the distance, if you leave that region you could actually walk to that mountain.

The reason I'd like things this way is because I think it's a good compromise between what would function well and what would make the game the most realistic.
    I will disagree not because i hated your idea but because that idea still means which only one part of the world will be simulated, this just gonna make the playable part increase in size, and gonna still feel like a sitcom, i prefer a full town being simulated to being able to walk to anywhere and know which the world is "moving", yesterday i was playing cities skyline and i was magnified by the town the npcs on the town all walking around or using cars, even childrens, the parks which i placed and others things with npcs playing around, that was what i hope for a true simulator, have a town full of characters having they lifes, while i can control some of they life aspects, that is why i'm looking for TGL and aldo taking a look to the project in mothersim site, both are trying to have the best they can with "today" technology.

Like you will say probably peoples with low computers will zagadoo or hate me but, serious if you want to play games in pc you can't expectate your dinossaur machine running games forever, game market is equal to others market keep changing and improving, each year news games are made and with a more complext technology which need better machines over and over, if you don't want to have buy a new pc or upgrade your pc to play then is much better you buy a console, or ps 4 or ps one and play on it than keep hoping which your machine will be able to play forever, world game is a expensive world specially pcs, I'm not rich or close i'm middle class and whenever i want to upgrade my machine is not easy specially in my country where we are literally robbed by the politics with absurds taxes, but i know which i can't keep using the same machine forever and do my efforts to have at last a medium pc good enough to play new games with minimum lag without need a top gamer machine which obvious is really too expensive, but i know how to look to more "in line prices" and be able to have a good at a reasonable price.

if maxis keep pulling forever that "we need to hold hands of low machines" they will ending failing in game market, cuz news peoples are comming and that peoples are making games which will attract more peoples than maxis if they pull a good combination of graphics and gameplay with can easy outshine the sims.

currently sims 4 state is not hard to make a better game for the peoples which understood about make games and that is a danger zone for maxis they put themselfs in a bad position the trumph card maxis had until now was "we are the only ones doing it", if paradox make they own life simulator i can easy see them again outshine maxis and take over it like they did with simcity 2013, because they not gonna make a cheap game for the sake of low ending machines, paradox aimming for game market like most of the game developer not just a little target(low ending) like maxis.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Sarcasm aside, if the sims 5 (that's if it's ever made) brings back open world, would you want a new and improved sims 3 open world or do you want a semi-open world instead?

I know I'm going to earn some zagadoos for this. What I'd like is if s5 has somewhat open world like Skyrim. Like there would a huge land mass that is completely opened, world designers could build anything want mountains, forests, fields, sometimes you'd see random sims just wondering around in the world. Then there would be regions that would require a loading screen. These could be urban areas, tropical beachy areas, or quaint rural towns etc. everything by the buildings would be open, here you'd see plenty of sims just walking around doing there own thing. If you want to go into a building then that's going to require another loading screen. Let's say you're just walking through the city, you might see a mountain in the distance, if you leave that region you could actually walk to that mountain.

The reason I'd like things this way is because I think it's a good compromise between what would function well and what would make the game the most realistic.

I think with 64 bit, they wouldn't even have to compromise. Make slightly smaller, more detailed towns. I should be careful, as Maxis will read smaller towns and ignore more detailed as they claim to be 'hearing me'.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options

I think with 64 bit, they wouldn't even have to compromise. Make slightly smaller, more detailed towns. I should be careful, as Maxis will read smaller towns and ignore more detailed as they claim to be 'hearing me'.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options

wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member

yeah nowadays no more big companies are making almost not making any "32 bits" games, sinsce this is a outdated system, neither microsoft and neither mac are supporting anymore 32 bits systems.

many games are already moving from it, then maxis want to keep supporting it is just hold back game development to try to attract a minority of computer game market.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    @JoAnne65 When I get a zagadoo I feel like I earned something cool. Disagrees are just somewhat disappointing, but everyone's entitled to disagree with me.

Glad people liked the idea. On my computer, that barely plays sims3, skyrim loading screens are so short if you blink your eyes you'll miss them. And, I could only imagine playing my sims like that, riding down the roads in a car looking a user-made scenery as I'm riding by and everything loading fast enough that I can actually enjoy it. When you walk into a region you could see sims doing their own thing based on their personalities. And, you can still see cool stuff when you go out onto the balcony of a house.
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    Those are beautiful pictures, but I don't see any Sims. If EA wants to build another open world system then I want 5,000 Sims running about so I can believe it's a 'world'. I don't want limits on how many show up anywhere, and I expect to see traffic jams, Sims hustling and bustling and the sidewalks so full of Sims mine can hardly get through. lol Seriously, I would upgrade to a gaming machine with whistles if they would build the sort of game I want.

Hi!

There are no sims in those pictures because they are from the "just created" world (unpopulated) except the pic of "Las Ramblas" that is made in the testing process, of course there are not thousands of sims in any Sim3 world but I have this Barcelona running in my game with about 350 sims (there are only 32 residential lots in the world) and there are plenty of sims anywhere my sims go, I have no pics but really crowded the other night in a club where it was almost imposible to dance or get a drink...

I would upgrade to a gaming machine also to get a "no limits" sims game too
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    junceda wrote: »

Hi!

There are no sims in those pictures because they are from the "just created" world (unpopulated) except the pic of "Las Ramblas" that is made in the testing process, of course there are not thousands of sims in any Sim3 world but I have this Barcelona running in my game with about 350 sims (there are only 32 residential lots in the world) and there are plenty of sims anywhere my sims go, I have no pics but really crowded the other night in a club where it was almost imposible to dance or get a drink...

I would upgrade to a gaming machine also to get a "no limits" sims game too

I am glad that you are enjoying this world, 350 Sims? That is nearly the amount of Sims I have! :smiley:

Without a doubt, TS3 is the most power Sims game ever made!

*bowes down*
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    350 Sims...

350 Sims... holy moley.. my world just passed 50 sims, 19 households. Already the world seems quite alive, I honestly can't wait to add another 50 - much less another three-freaking hundred to what I have. Sims will be EVERYWHERE all the time. :D I just hope my computer can handle such a game.
  • Options
    Yes 350 is quite a bunch, though I had 518 sims once in a game, I enjoy the hard work of populating every lot in the world I am playing, no empty lot and no empty house, this way only NPCs are random sims created by the game (Barcelona BTW creates a lot of NPCs because there are plenty of venues, bars, clubs, and all kind of registers, 70 community lots I think...) fortunately my i7 processor can handle it very well though I had to teach the game to acknowledge my system for what it really is, and every where my sims go, there are about 10 other sims around, let alone bars and clubs (where I use a mod) that there are about 25, and at school (where I use Zerbu´s mod for open school) and the last time I counted them there were 57 children/teens attending and really fighting to use the boards, the chess tables or the chemestry labs
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

• Options
    OMG and we have to read RF saying that this kind of playing breaks the immersion!!!!
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I really love the pictures. Pfft open world doesn't break immersion. I did think that was a funny statement. Anyway even Sims 1 and 2 had closed world and was more immersive than the Sims 4. You can't connect to Sims that get culled so quickly. It still bothers me how robotic Sims are in the neighborhoods. I miss seeing random NPCs hitting people with purses, Sims getting slapped, and Sims making out wherever even if you don't control those Sims.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    What an amazing world...like, wow...
  • Options
    Yes 350 is quite a bunch, though I had 518 sims once in a game, I enjoy the hard work of populating every lot in the world I am playing, no empty lot and no empty house, this way only NPCs are random sims created by the game (Barcelona BTW creates a lot of NPCs because there are plenty of venues, bars, clubs, and all kind of registers, 70 community lots I think...) fortunately my i7 processor can handle it very well though I had to teach the game to acknowledge my system for what it really is, and every where my sims go, there are about 10 other sims around, let alone bars and clubs (where I use a mod) that there are about 25, and at school (where I use Zerbu´s mod for open school) and the last time I counted them there were 57 children/teens attending and really fighting to use the boards, the chess tables or the chemestry labs

I have a ridiculous amount of NPCs as I have a lot of bars and clubs lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    OMG and we have to read RF saying that this kind of playing breaks the immersion!!!!

I think that women never played a Sims game her whole life.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options

I think that women never played a Sims game her whole life.

Except House Party, Nightlife and Late Night maybe but even they were actually good EPs with lots of excitement and not one selfie in sight!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg