Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Self-employment, because why not?

(This has probably been mentioned here before, but I'm gonna talk about it anyway.)

So in my current profile in Sims 4, I haven't had my sim get an official "job," but instead, let her be an unofficial official gardener. I've honestly never taken things like gardening as seriously as I currently am in this game! I like how you don't make a lot of money at first, but then once you keep evolving your plants and just generally taking good care of them, the produce and things are worth more. It's great!

And it made me realize how Sims 3 had career tracks that were self-employment options, like a gardener, painter, fisher, etc. I'd LOVE to see this be implemented in Sims 4!!
My sim spends almost as much time out in her garden daily as other sims who work "normal" jobs. It's a job just like any other, so I'd love to see the game actually recognize that. I hate when it says my sim is "unemployed" or simply a "stay-at-home mom" when she really has built a strong gardening career for herself.

Honestly, this is something that I would have expected in Get To Work. Would've fit with the theme perfectly! I guess that doesn't mean all hope is lost though. I'll keep hoping sometime in the future, our sims will be credited for their home businesses and self-employment careers. :smile:

"The softest echo could be enough for me to make it through."
♥♥♥
sims-traits.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    I think this is a good idea!! So far, I have two Sims that are self employed. One owns her own bakery and another owns her own department store. I dislike seeing them as unemployed or a stay-at-home parent.
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • Options
    thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member
    The most annoying thing about the lack of self employment is that the Ambitious trait doesn't account for retail, painting, writing, etc. They're so stressed from apparently not working, even though they tend to work a lot harder than sims who are employed.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    (This has probably been mentioned here before, but I'm gonna talk about it anyway.)

So in my current profile in Sims 4, I haven't had my sim get an official "job," but instead, let her be an unofficial official gardener. I've honestly never taken things like gardening as seriously as I currently am in this game! I like how you don't make a lot of money at first, but then once you keep evolving your plants and just generally taking good care of them, the produce and things are worth more. It's great!

And it made me realize how Sims 3 had career tracks that were self-employment options, like a gardener, painter, fisher, etc. I'd LOVE to see this be implemented in Sims 4!!
    My sim spends almost as much time out in her garden daily as other sims who work "normal" jobs. It's a job just like any other, so I'd love to see the game actually recognize that. I hate when it says my sim is "unemployed" or simply a "stay-at-home mom" when she really has built a strong gardening career for herself.

Honestly, this is something that I would have expected in Get To Work. Would've fit with the theme perfectly! I guess that doesn't mean all hope is lost though. I'll keep hoping sometime in the future, our sims will be credited for their home businesses and self-employment careers. :smile:

I loved self employment in TS3 Ambitions one of the big features of that pack.

Though I'm kind of torn on this one because of the fact that we have, already, the writing career and the painting career. But I would like if they did something like this.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    Yes! Go to city hall and register as self employed. Herbalist career!
  • Options
    xhellocoldworldxhellocoldworld Posts: 264 Member
    I think this is a good idea!! So far, I have two Sims that are self employed. One owns her own bakery and another owns her own department store. I dislike seeing them as unemployed or a stay-at-home parent.
    Yeah, I think it's definitely the worst/most noticeable whenever a sim is in a retail career. Retail careers can be brutal sometimes, as far as all of the things to do! When I have my sims owning a business, they work twelve hours days usually lol. It's a really taxing job and it's a lot harder than the standard ones when you think about it! So if anything I'd love to see the self-employment option in this area first.

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I loved self employment in TS3 Ambitions one of the big features of that pack.

Though I'm kind of torn on this one because of the fact that we have, already, the writing career and the painting career. But I would like if they did something like this.
    Yeah, I did too! I regret not taking full advantage of the self-employment options in TS3. I never wanted to put the effort into it lol but now that I am in 4, it makes me miss Ambitions and having the options for official self-employment there.

Yeah, I guess that's true, though careers like the painting and writing ones still aren't completely self-employed because you still have to go to official "work." Unless you're talking about just freelance writing and painting and selling the works, but that was my point of this anyway, that the freelance stuff should turn into an actual career.

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I'm all for more self employment options. I'd love for my Sims to run one of the community venues, or have home employment, or have the kids run lemonade stands (or whatever a more modern version of that is). The basis for it is already there in GTW, it just needs expanded more.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Jemkatk wrote: »
    Yes! I miss that part of Sims 3 and really hope they incorporate it into 4. I haven't experimented much with herbalism in Sims 4 yet (I really should!) but that sounds like it'd be awesome too. :smile:

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    I'm all for more self employment options. I'd love for my Sims to run one of the community venues, or have home employment, or have the kids run lemonade stands (or whatever a more modern version of that is). The basis for it is already there in GTW, it just needs expanded more.
    Yes! Totally agree. You brought up a good point about letting sims be able to run a community venue! I haven't thought of that until now but that's a good idea too. I liked how in Sims 3 you could buy lots and edit and redesign them how you wanted and then make a profit off of them. That was a great function, and I'd love to see that in Sims 4, too! :smile:
    Yeah I agree about the GTW part too. As I think I mentioned, I wish it would have came straight out with GTW, because it would have made total sense, given the topic of the expansion, but it's still not too late because yeah, the basis is there. Hopefully sometime in a patch they'll give us this option! I wouldn't think it's too difficult to make at all. Fingers crossed.

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    The most annoying thing about the lack of self employment is that the Ambitious trait doesn't account for retail, painting, writing, etc. They're so stressed from apparently not working, even though they tend to work a lot harder than sims who are employed.
    Wow, yeah, I don't think I've had the combo of a sim with the ambitious trait + self-employed in my game yet, so I wouldn't have known this. Thanks for bringing it up! I'm kind of happy I haven't had that combo because that would drive me nuts. :smile:
    It definitely isn't fair how the game won't recognize a hard-working, self-employed sim and we have to endure useless buffs because of it. I probably make it sound more dramatic than it actually is, but it's the little things in Sims 4 that get to me overall, rather than just the big idea and concept of it.

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Yes! Totally agree. You brought up a good point about letting sims be able to run a community venue! I haven't thought of that until now but that's a good idea too.

If I'm being totally honest, I really just want to run a spa, lol. I see my Sim spending lots of time in one, so I wouldn't mind them getting paid to be there too. ;)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    aquabluefoxaquabluefox Posts: 74 Member
    I really hope they bring this back. I prefer having my sims be self-employed in skills like painting and writing because they make more money, get their skills up faster, and have more flexible work hours. Right now one of my sims makes her money painting at home. She's at level 10 and has the perfectionist trait as well as some reward traits related to painting so just about every one she makes is a masterpiece, and she's saving up for an art studio where she'll sell her paintings directly. She works really hard (usually staying up all night drinking coffee to keep herself awake as she paints) but if any sim asks she's apparently unemployed.

In Sims 3 one of the sims I played the most was a self-employed alchemist and it was a lot of fun. When his wife and him had their first baby he was able to stay home and work while watching his son as the wife worked at a rabbithole career.
  • Options
    Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
  • Options
    Yes! Totally agree. You brought up a good point about letting sims be able to run a community venue! I haven't thought of that until now but that's a good idea too.

If I'm being totally honest, I really just want to run a spa, lol. I see my Sim spending lots of time in one, so I wouldn't mind them getting paid to be there too. ;)
    Running a spa would be so cool! And it'd be something that'd be different to Sims, considering in Sims 3, spas were just rabbit holes. I'd love to see us being able to own and run an open spa. :smile:

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    I really hope they bring this back. I prefer having my sims be self-employed in skills like painting and writing because they make more money, get their skills up faster, and have more flexible work hours. Right now one of my sims makes her money painting at home. She's at level 10 and has the perfectionist trait as well as some reward traits related to painting so just about every one she makes is a masterpiece, and she's saving up for an art studio where she'll sell her paintings directly. She works really hard (usually staying up all night drinking coffee to keep herself awake as she paints) but if any sim asks she's apparently unemployed.

In Sims 3 one of the sims I played the most was a self-employed alchemist and it was a lot of fun. When his wife and him had their first baby he was able to stay home and work while watching his son as the wife worked at a rabbithole career.
    Yeah, that's how I am with my gardener, I have reward traits pertaining to gardening and I've really built her garden up and everything is practically at max quality. She makes hundreds just from a stack of plants! And she usually spends a long time tending for it, too, every day. I used to just have her "tend garden" at the beginning of the day from like 12-2 or 3 and not have her go back to it until the next day, but I find myself still harvesting and things throughout the day now, lol. So yeah, our "unofficial" self-employed sims definitely work harder than rabbit hole career sims, even active career sims I'm sure!

That sounds like a fun playthrough in Sims 3. :smile:
    Having a baby while being self-employed is great benefit! When I had a baby in Sims 4, it was great to be there at home all day with her to take care of her.

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    im Wondering should Self Employed be patched in or be part of a GP.
    Ah, I definitely think self-employment should be patched. It's something simple they could do, so I'd hate to have to pay for it. I'm planning to buy most game packs anyway, but for the others who may not want to buy game packs, it's unfair to them for EA/Maxis to make them pay for a game pack they don't want just for a self-employment option.
    So, I'm hoping if they ever include it, it'll be in a patch.

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Ah, I definitely think self-employment should be patched. It's something simple they could do, so I'd hate to have to pay for it. I'm planning to buy most game packs anyway, but for the others who may not want to buy game packs, it's unfair to them for EA/Maxis to make them pay for a game pack they don't want just for a self-employment option.

maybe the Self Employed patch would come a week before the next GP.
  • Options

maybe the Self Employed patch would come a week before the next GP.
    Yeah, that'd be all good. Just as long as it comes in some patch and we don't have to pay for it, I'm just fine! :smile:

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    VickiVampiressVickiVampiress Posts: 211 Member
    I would welcome this. It would really help with freelancing Sims, because a freelancer isn't "unemployed".
    1Q6xf0t.jpg
  • Options
    I would welcome this. It would really help with freelancing Sims, because a freelancer isn't "unemployed".
    Definitely! It's always irritating when a freelancing sim is technically "unemployed" by the game's standards. It's a job just like any other!

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I'd like the option for self-employed too because as it stands, even owning and running a retail store is considered being unemployed. I was surprised it was not added as a career in GTW.
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I'd like the option for self-employed too because as it stands, even owning and running a retail store is considered being unemployed. I was surprised it was not added as a career in GTW.
    Exactly! As I think I mentioned in another reply, the most aggravating part of the lack of an official self-employment option is when sims own and run a retail store. Owning and running a retail store is such a big thing! It takes so much time (at least when I play, my sims have like 12-hour days, lol) and a lot of effort honestly and it downright stinks when business owners are still considered unemployed. It definitely should have been a new career track in GTW, it would have made so much sense. They really missed an opportunity there.

♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2015
    Jemkatk wrote: »

Now that would be cool! We could potentially have any career and not need to actually have careers.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimmySimianSimmySimian Posts: 357 Member
    I'm voting for this, too. My poor retail owning sim is cranky because her hard work isn't being recognized by the Man.