Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SMALL UPDATE COMING TO THE PC VERSION OF THE SIMS 3

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I'm not understanding why we have to pick and choose which expansion packs we want in our games "for the best gaming experience"... As a gaming company, shouldn't you guys try and fix your games for them to work on our computers? Cause it's not like TS3 worked swimmingly on the computer's to begin with.... :/

They're not forcing you to play with certain expansions and stuff packs; you can play all of them if you so wish. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Bazajaytee wrote: »
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > Well I opened Origin to make sure updates were turned off and it started updating. I get the message that EA wants to install an update tool. How can I open Origin with this going on?

That is an Origin client update. Nothing to do with The Sims 3 or any other game you have on Origin. Allow the update to complete then you can disable game updates ahead of tomorrows The Sims 3 update.

That worked. SO now if TS4 updates I have to do it manually?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    BazajayteeBazajaytee Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2015
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > That worked. SO now if TS4 updates I have to do it manually?

Based on the FAQ article, you will get a EULA to accept before TS3 updates.

"In either case, before completing the installation, you will be presented with End User License Agreements which you must accept to install the update."

So if you don't want the update but want to keep TS4 up to date automatically you could leave auto updates enabled in Origin but decline the TS3 EULA by clicking CANCEL on the pop up.

Or you can check for TS4 updates manually by highlighting TS4 in Origin and selecting "Check for Updates"
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:

"In either case, before completing the installation, you will be presented with End User License Agreements which you must accept to install the update."

So if you don't want the update but want to keep TS4 up to date automatically you could leave auto updates enabled in Origin but decline the TS3 EULA by clicking CANCEL on the pop up.

Or you can check for TS4 updates manually by highlighting TS4 in Origin and selecting "Check for Updates"

Got cha...thanks
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited November 2015
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:

If I want to just uninstall Origin, do I need to uninstall my games first? And does anyone know if TS2 UC will still work without Origin?

Edit: just went to my control panel and when I click to uninstall Origin, it says this may prevent my games from working. (duh.) But then it says 'this action cannot be undone'. I would think I could reinstall again later if I wanted to, right? I guess if not, no big loss!
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    > @HappySimmer3 said:

> If I want to just uninstall Origin, do I need to uninstall my games first? And does anyone know if TS2 UC will still work without Origin?

If a game is "Origin required" then yeah, you would need to uninstall the game but isn't a requirement to do it in that order. If you uninstall Origin before the game and try to run the game it will tell you that you need Origin if it requires it.

As The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection was released pre-Origin it is likely to not require Origin but not 100% certain.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    well this update is confusing what is a simmer to do if said simmer no longer has is sims3 disk?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    > @HappySimmer3 said:

> If I want to just uninstall Origin, do I need to uninstall my games first? And does anyone know if TS2 UC will still work without Origin?

If a game is "Origin required" then yeah, you would need to uninstall the game but isn't a requirement to do it in that order. If you uninstall Origin before the game and try to run the game it will tell you that you need Origin if it requires it.

As The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection was released pre-Origin it is likely to not require Origin but not 100% certain.

Thanks for your reply. I was just hoping to be able to reinstall at some point just to keep my options open, but that part about how it 'can't be undone' sounded a little ominous. I guess if it's permanent, so be it.

@igazor thanks for the warning but personally I wasn't planning on taking any chances either way! :p

• Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Indeed, I think telling people to just turn off some of the EPs to "improve performance" is going to create more problems when their saved games get broken.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    From the EA Help page being referenced:
    "If in the Sims 3 Expansion and Stuff Pack Manager you deselect packs that you have been playing with and load a game save that uses those packs, the game will replace the unloaded content with default items or remove them altogether."

So the game is going to replace Uni World and Oasis Landing entirely with something else if my sims were in either place when I last saved? How about things like EP-specific bridges on the world lot and such staircases that have no viable equivalent? And if a sim was busy working in an EP-specific career or with a skill object?

Also of interest, the screen shot of the Launcher being displayed shows a version number of 1.69. If this update includes a base game patch to keep the version numbers in synch, core mods will break.

I hate to be obstructive on EA's own forum, but the official word from NRaas is that this update is not necessarily going to be supported. A final decision will be made after its release and when we get more information about its total impact on the game.

So I am assuming we should move our mods to a safe place until further notice? I went ahead and did that just in case.

I honestly don't understand the point of this update. Especially if it breaks mods. It seems more of an aggravation than anything.
  • Options
    igazor it would be the equivalent of uninstalling one of your packs and trying to play a save game which used the content.

The pack selector is of benefit to those players who own a lot of packs but don't have the PC spec to run it all at once. Currently you have to uninstall/re-install the packs as you want to use them. The pack selector lets you install all of the packs and keep them installed and just turn packs on and off saving bandwidth (especially useful if you have download caps) and time.

If your machine is powerful enough to run all EP/SP's then you can just leave them all enabled in the Pack Manager and keep playing.

Also, disabling them won't break your save, in game you will see a notice that some content is missing just like it would if you uninstalled a pack now. That lets you back out of game and re-enable a pack to play your save.
  • Options
    @SimGuruDrake i think more clraification is required on this new update and also if a simmer no longer has is sims3 disk there should be an explication on how to proceed with this update if a simmer no longer have there cds
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Cabelle1863 - I didn't mean that a patched update will harm mod files. I meant they will stop core mods from functioning properly in the game as mods are meant for specific patch levels. Origin updates are okay, but our recommendation is to not accept any updates to TS3 until we find out more about what's going to happen.

It's really no different from prior patches. It was always the case that mod users had to wait until the mods they enjoy using were declared safe for use with new patches, we're just all a bit out of practice by now. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    > @friendlysimmers said:
    > SimGuruDrake i think more clraification is required on this new update and also if a simmer no longer has is sims3 disk there should be an explication on how to proceed with this update if a simmer no longer have there cds

You don't need a disc for the update. The update is through Origin and you will see it if The Sims 3 is in Origin.
  • Options
    @SimGuruDrake i think more clraification is required on this new update and also if a simmer no longer has is sims3 disk there should be an explication on how to proceed with this update if a simmer no longer have there cds

Did you register your TS3 game when you bought it? If so, it should already show up in origin among your games. Do you have it still installed on your PC? Then you won't have to do anything. If you no longer have it installed, you will have to download the Origin version (which you will have if you registered your game).

• Options
    edited November 2015
    igazor it would be the equivalent of uninstalling one of your packs and trying to play a save game which used the content.

[...]

Also, disabling them won't break your save, in game you will see a notice that some content is missing just like it would if you uninstalled a pack now. That lets you back out of game and re-enable a pack to play your save.
    To clarify, I am not overly concerned about the health of my own ongoing games. I am looking at the bigger picture here.

If a player were to deselect an EP, dismiss the warning, and continue to play and then save, it may not be obvious right away that the interiors of lots all over their world have been damaged by improper or impossible substitutions. Keeping in mind that not all players maintain a collection of saved or backed up copies of their ongoing games, this feature at least as described does indeed have the capacity to break players' games.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    ***They are not doing this for the player!
    They are doing this to integrate Origin into everything.
  • Options
    well my game is registered on origin but still requires the diosk to load up unless i go true the last ep shortcut to bypass the launcher

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Is it going to be easier to install custom content?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I agree. I just uninstalled origin because I'd rather lose all the games tied to it than lose TS3 independence. :D

Not to mention, my game is running just fine thanks to all my mods and I'm not giving EA a chance to break them.

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

I agree. I just uninstalled origin because I'd rather lose all the games tied to it than lose TS3 independence. :D

Not to mention, my game is running just fine thanks to all my mods and I'm not giving EA a chance to break them.
    Do you guys have a problem with origins? Who cares if its going through it now to play the game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I do not want to tie TS3 to Origin. It will disable my ability to start the game without the launcher and most likely prevent me from using EIG in CAW, should I ever choose to work on a world for TS3. Not to mention this update might break all my TS3 mods, many of which might not be updated by the original creators because they have moved on to Fallout 4. :D

Edit: OK, just kidding about Fallout 4, but obviously a lot of modders for TS3 are no longer modding for the game. ;) And NRASS has already said they don't know if they can update any mods that might be borked by the update so... just not taking any chances.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    well not to be rude but are you still living in the floppy disk era?

2dt4riq.jpg
    qmzv47.jpg

You need to realise that we are now in a digital era where games and softwear programs like windows or microsoft office are code reedem now and install and downloaded via internet

• Options
    edited November 2015
    And NRASS has already said they don't know if they can update any mods that might be borked by the update so... just not taking any chances.
    That isn't exactly what I said. Our developer has already expressed concern over what this update might do to players' games, as have I, and we may choose to not support it. But it's really too soon to tell. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!