Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it hard to go back to TS3 or TS2?

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,442 Member
    Hard yes because of the lag in TS3.
  • Options
    ShayysShayys Posts: 70 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    To answer your question OP, no it's not. I don't play Sims to be entertained by hanging around in CAS and a bunch of sims doing mechanical 'talking' routines don't make a real household for me. In fact it even bothers me they do that all the time, talking. Especially since that seems to be all they do: talking. When I direct my sims to talk in this game, they do so because their conversations pop up in my head. And when I feel they don't feel like talking, well, they don't. I call it playing a game. Looking at characters talking (really talking, not miming saying nothing) I call 'going to the movies' or 'watching tv'.

Now, I absolutely don't agree with you EP's and SP's are coming out slow for Sims 4. In fact we have helpful members here listing how rich the game is in that department compared to its predecessors. The fact the game apperently still feels so empty to you that you have to consider going back in the first place, therefore raises the question why you consider it your favourite. But if it is, it is. Have fun playing it!

Just because we have different views of fun gameplay doesn't mean there's any reason to put down another persons view of it, as it sounds in this comment. It comes off as i'm "ridiculous" for saying the sims come off more real because of multi-tasking, because in life, you talk to your household members quite a lot, and I enjoy that feature a lot. I especially like that I don't have to micro manage every single thing and my sims can carry on by themselves without me playing God to every little detail of their lives if I don't want to, and still have them do or accomplish things I want, such as talking to family members, etc.

Also, saying 4 can't be my favorite because I said it's "lacking" is insulting as well. It's rather common knowledge that the base game really doesn't have that much to do for sims in reference to fun, especially family or legacy play, or group activities like the other complete games have - but that being said, they are complete with all EPs and SPs. I was basically saying I wish 4 was complete with all the SPs and EPs for more things to do, but I even praised the game for being more "advanced" in my eyes for the multi tasking and the realism manners that the sims have, however cartoony.

Your comment just comes off extremely rude as if I can't have an opinion and how i'm easily "impressed" with the game because of details that seem to not matter to you like multi-tasking, because heaven forbid someone else like the game for other reasons than you.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Very easy after the disappointment of sims 4, I was never going to leave sims 3 behind but play both but now i just play sims 3 and sometimes sims 2.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    ianxziianxzi Posts: 723 Member
    Yeah... The graphics, multitasking, and just how smooth the game is makes it hard to go back.
    I tried going back to TS3 and I got a huge headache and pretty strong nausea just in build mode. Even with the graphics as high as I can make it, it doesn't make up for how different it is from TS4. I really miss all the expansions and just how much fun I had playing TS3, but it's hard to go back to it these days considering it's not nearly as smooth and that its graphics aren't nearly as good.
    original.gif
  • Options
    Mollypup9Mollypup9 Posts: 518 Member
    Nope. Never had a bit of trouble going back to TS2.

I enjoyed much about TS3 but I never got into it the way I did the first 2 versions. It didn't cater to my type of play and well......the quality began dropping in TS3. Seems like they made little or no effort to weed out bugs & glitches and they couldn't seem to get it right when meshing new eps with the base game......and their toggles for turning certain features on or off never worked.

It took me a short while to resettle into the graphics of TS2. Oh, not the sims or even the neighborhood, objects ect. It's mainly the neighborhood view that bugs me now. My video card is like super beyond anything I had when originally playing it.....and I had a really excellent card then. Although given TS4's neighborhood view, it looks great, so there ya go.

I won't say I don't have issues trying to place clutter items where they won't place in TS2 or trying to position a piece of furniture diagonally before I remember that didn't happen until TS3. lol But in TS2 I can take photos of my sims all over the place and they can hang them in the house just like in real life. My sims go on REAL dates, my teens hang out in community lots with them in mind, in fact I have community venues all over the place. They can go on honeymoons to vacation destinations.......... And yes, I'm aware photos could be taken in TS3 but they never quite looked right......and trying to pain a portrait of a sim turned out hideous, whereas in TS2 it looked just like them.

I'd load up TS3 but mine was just too glitchy & buggy to bother putting it back onto the computer.

• Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    I tried playing Sims 2 and 3 several times since the release of The Sims 4 but The Sims 4 keeps grabbing my spirit and I end up deleting the Sims 2 altogether (I own the ultimate collection so I can go back to it anytime) and deleting just the saves for The Sims 3. While The Sims 4 did indeed go off on a very slow start I think after all the free updates and the game/stuff pack releases I find myself enjoying it more! What's most impressive to me is how alive Sims in The Sims 4 are. They have realistic and specific emotions rather then the simply good mood bad mood system.

When they experience a life event they truly feel it and express it. Children can feel sad or mad for gaining a sibling, you can feel embarrassed for peeing on yourself...the lists goes on....I personally love creating Sims with anger issues such as my new Sims (Vyper Poison) and her mother (Autumn Handcuffs) who are both hot heads and are rivals due to the mother's jealousy of her daughter for having many more opportunities and not having to fight for them like she had too as a woman of the late 1960's early 1970's!

ZQmhaZs.png

zrMrgRr.png

GhP4Fbt.png

VlJj1jI.png
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I had a break from any sims game after 4. It killed my enthusiasm stone dead. I was so disappointed I thought it was me. Until I reinstalled TS2. Wow that game instantly had me addicted! Yet I missed TS3. So reinstalled everything and installed mods for the first time ever and it runs beautifully. No lag, very little issues and I can joyfully play for hours without realising it's been a long time! Losing time again to a sims game.

I kept trying to play TS4 with every patch to force myself into liking it but after RF toddler comment in the Metro I finally uninstalled. I don't have faith that they take their customers seriously at all and I didn't want to waste any more of my time hoping they would get their act together and patch something really epic to turn this round one day. Maybe eventually they will but I will have to reinstall. Don't need the game I don't enjoy yet wasting space on my PC I can use for enjoyable games like Cities Skylines instead :)
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @ejoslin wrote: »
    I had no difficulty at all going back to TS3. My only regret was that Maxis left it in such a buggy state so many people who don't like mods (or miss some of the better ones that do small but important fixes) can't see just how amazing a game it actually is.

I think this my issue ngl. I don't like mods that affect the in-game play. So the no-culling mod I can deal with in The Sims 4, but the other mods in the Sims 3 show up in gameplay and I don't like that.

And for every expansion, store venue with new gameplay etc. there's a mod required to "fix it". Even the only gameplay aspects of worlds like Midnight Hollow or Aurora Skies needs a mod to fix the gameplay.

I even tried installing all the games again, but go overwhelmed by all the mods I would need to make it work.

I don't actually the The Sims 3 as a game, I hate the fact it's so broken, and overpriced that's it isn't fun to me.

If someone gave me a mods folder with all the "fixes" it would be okay, but for me to go and try and find them all, I give up and I go back to The Sims 2. Now the Sims 4 is out, I at least have two choices.
  • Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    TS3 is a better game, but it lags so much for me. I dislike the lack of open world in TS4, but it doesn't lag, so I force myself to play it.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,651 Member
    I can't go back either. I've become to attached to my sims. And I think I really take multi-tasking and auto-solve their needs for granted!

Perhaps, you can try to create a new game and try to play it differently.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    i play both ( lately i play 3 more) with mods like nraas... default skin and light mod . with nraas i can play smoothly.... with default skin i guess sims are much handsome than 4. ....with light mod graphic is more vivid than 4.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2015
    For me no. Sims 2 is my go to Sims game and that hasn't changed yet. I have all four games on my computer. Unless by some miracle babies are freed and toddlers are patched into the Sims 4 and teens look different and elders aren't as frail, I'll still play the older Sims games. I mean I bought the games, not point of throwing them away. They still are fun. I'm not the type of gamer that just plays the newest games just because they are new. I like classic games and still have a working NES game system that plays the classic Mario games. :) I'm the type of person that likes classic things even movies from the 1920s. So I can honestly say I've played all four games this year.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    EvieSunshineEvieSunshine Posts: 133 Member
    I love the Sims 4!! I tried to go back to play the Sims 2 because it was my next favorite but I cannot go back to TS2. It's not the same anymore. Now I just go back and forth from the Sims 4 and the Sims Medieval. Whenever I play too much in one game, I switch over to the other.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Shayys wrote: »

yes! I wish people would come out with more mods to make 4 even more alive. I check MTS all the time to try to get some new gameplay mods in my game, but it's bare there. I mean, really, really bare. I feel like modders gave up because they constantly have to redesign them based on EAs updates every month. :(
    Yeah MTS has died down with mods. You should check Zerbu's mods out. They are done really well and expand the game in interesting ways. There are a ton of CC artists still creating things too. http://sims4updates.net/ and http://sims4downloads.net/ are two good resource sites that cover a large portion of mods and CCs. There is a nice fall mod out and a modder is working on a winter mod.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ShayysShayys Posts: 70 Member
    Turtlez98 wrote: »
    Yeah... The graphics, multitasking, and just how smooth the game is makes it hard to go back.
    I tried going back to TS3 and I got a huge headache and pretty strong nausea just in build mode. Even with the graphics as high as I can make it, it doesn't make up for how different it is from TS4. I really miss all the expansions and just how much fun I had playing TS3, but it's hard to go back to it these days considering it's not nearly as smooth and that its graphics aren't nearly as good.

Yeah, the smoothness is amazing in 4. I think EA is going in the right direction, based on the UI, AI, and mannerisms. If they just added in all the missing features and EPs, I feel like this game has potential to be absolutely amazing. It kind of makes me wonder if the lack of EPs with lots of features is to keep the game smooth and unlaggy like the mess that is TS3.

I tried playing Sims 2 and 3 several times since the release of The Sims 4 but The Sims 4 keeps grabbing my spirit and I end up deleting the Sims 2 altogether (I own the ultimate collection so I can go back to it anytime) and deleting just the saves for The Sims 3. While The Sims 4 did indeed go off on a very slow start I think after all the free updates and the game/stuff pack releases I find myself enjoying it more! What's most impressive to me is how alive Sims in The Sims 4 are. They have realistic and specific emotions rather then the simply good mood bad mood system.

When they experience a life event they truly feel it and express it. Children can feel sad or mad for gaining a sibling, you can feel embarrassed for peeing on yourself...the lists goes on....I personally love creating Sims with anger issues such as my new Sims (Vyper Poison) and her mother (Autumn Handcuffs) who are both hot heads and are rivals due to the mother's jealousy of her daughter for having many more opportunities and not having to fight for them like she had too as a woman of the late 1960's early 1970's!

ZQmhaZs.png

zrMrgRr.png

GhP4Fbt.png

VlJj1jI.png

Wow, I love your pictures and how you incorporated a story into the game. I do that too, but I don't really post it anywhere. And your game seems so interesting! It makes me want to create a game with a mother and daughter, both with the insane and hot headed traits. Seems like it'd be explosive and very fun. :P

Sometimes I feel I loose interest because I have the stories in my head, but no where to post them or reference them and not like anyone would care really to even read about it. Also hate my writing style, lol
    To answer your question OP, no it's not. I don't play Sims to be entertained by hanging around in CAS and a bunch of sims doing mechanical 'talking' routines don't make a real household for me. In fact it even bothers me they do that all the time, talking. Especially since that seems to be all they do: talking. When I direct my sims to talk in this game, they do so because their conversations pop up in my head. And when I feel they don't feel like talking, well, they don't. I call it playing a game. Looking at characters talking (really talking, not miming saying nothing) I call 'going to the movies' or 'watching tv'.

Now, I absolutely don't agree with you EP's and SP's are coming out slow for Sims 4. In fact we have helpful members here listing how rich the game is in that department compared to its predecessors. The fact the game apperently still feels so empty to you that you have to consider going back in the first place, therefore raises the question why you consider it your favourite. But if it is, it is. Have fun playing it!

Just because we have different views of fun gameplay doesn't mean there's any reason to put down another persons view of it, as it sounds in this comment. It comes off as i'm "ridiculous" for saying the sims come off more real because of multi-tasking, because in life, you talk to your household members quite a lot, and I enjoy that feature a lot. I especially like that I don't have to micro manage every single thing and my sims can carry on by themselves without me playing God to every little detail of their lives if I don't want to, and still have them do or accomplish things I want, such as talking to family members, etc.

Also, saying 4 can't be my favorite because I said it's "lacking" is insulting as well. It's rather common knowledge that the base game really doesn't have that much to do for sims in reference to fun, especially family or legacy play, or group activities like the other complete games have - but that being said, they are complete with all EPs and SPs. I was basically saying I wish 4 was complete with all the SPs and EPs for more things to do, but I even praised the game for being more "advanced" in my eyes for the multi tasking and the realism manners that the sims have, however cartoony.

Your comment just comes off extremely rude as if I can't have an opinion and how i'm easily "impressed" with the game because of details that seem to not matter to you like multi-tasking, because heaven forbid someone else like the game for other reasons than you.
    Rude..? Wasn't I doing exactly the same what you were doing? Putting down a game (two games) to praise another one? You asked a question, I answered it the way it is for me. No, it's not hard for me to return to Sims 3. In fact I played Sims 4 for a while, focusing on the good stuff, enjoying it in my own way even, and then I discovered I was more and more starting to miss Sims 3. So I went back and I played for hours in a row again - with 4 I played two hours max - and realized what I had missed terribly. Which doesn't mean I dislike 4 or will never play it again, it just feels a bit empty and shallow to me.

Everything I wrote in above post is how I feel about Sims 4 and sorry but you asked yourself. It's my truth. I don't like how they constantly talk, I don't like talking is about everything they can do and I do in fact prefer to control my sims myself. I don't like how sims in 4 keep canceling my orders because they want to do other things (mainly talking). I don't like how they keep walking away in the middle of a conversation and take their plate to the loo. I just genuinely don't miss those things when I play the other games. If I am insulting you by saying talking routines feel mechanical and empty to me, aren't you yourself insulting people who like playing Sims 2 and 3 then when you say having to control the sims more makes it feel less of a 'real' household? Aren't you suggesting playing the sims by constantly controlling them is inferior to your playing style?
    They aren't realistic at all in their behaviour for me, far from it. I never change seats when I'm talking to someone and only John Cleese walks like that. In a sketch.

Sims 4 is not a basegame anymore, it's far from it. So if you feel bored by it, so bored that you even decided to start playing the previous games against your will, that means there must be something wrong with this love affair. The game is insulting you, not me. I don't understand your last line btw because I never said anything about multitasking.

Your post wasn't about liking Sims 4, your post was about not really liking it but liking the predecessors even less.

Well I guess there's a misunderstanding here. I'm not saying I do not like the sims 4, in fact I said it was my favorite of all the games. I would rather play 4 than any of the other ones.

I am looking for other peoples experiences, but your comment came off a bit degrading. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding, because I really do love TS4. I even said earlier in this post that I think 4 is going in the right direction, I just wish I could have all of the EPs and SPs.

BUT, my main point was it's hard to get into 2 or 3 after being spoiled by 4. I basically just miss all of the EPs. :( I can't go into 2 or 3 for 10 minutes without being bored because 4 is so amazing.

I can't imagine what it will be like once all EPs and SPs are out and it's a "full" game. I can't wait, really.
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I've honestly found it more enjoyable going back to TS3. I have a very hard time getting into TS4. I keep starting it up, but then I stare at the sims while the sit around talking and then I look at the laundry list of things it wants me to do and I shut it down.
    I stopped playing TS3 for a long time after 4 came out, but then I got bored... like you said with no legacy play. I went back to TS3 and I really haven't turned back. I'm CC'd up though, in both games, and I still prefer the look of TS3.

I'm an open world fan, so that spoiled 4 for me... more than I can even express. Unless the neighborhoods open up more, I can't see myself sticking to it.

In all honesty I find the CAS in TS4 more limiting when it comes to the small facial details. I also hate that there are so few hair colours to choose from. That was jarring when I recently went back to 4 after a long hiatus. I was wanting to make highlights in my sims hair... oh whoops... yeah no. Same with the eyes. I have ONE default eye set, and all I want to do is be able to choose any colour eye with my default... alas that is also not an available function unless I DL 100 more sets of ND eyes.

With that said Ts3 works pretty well for me, even with copious amounts of mods and CC. I don't have all the EP's though, which probably helps. I don't miss TS4 like I do TS3, when not playing. I appreciate it, for what it is, but it wasn't hard at all to go back to 3 from 4. Not at all.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I have trouble going back to 2 even though it was my favorite. Simply due to graphics.

I can go back to 3 and do on occasion to play WA. I have promised myself I will get through every tomb. I haven't done it yet. I just miss a lot of what I have in 4 when I go back to 3. Multi-tasking is a big one. Sim animations is another. How they look is another.

• Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I never stopped playing the sims 3. I can't really get in to the sims 4.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Actually TS4 made me fall in love with TS3. I'm a pretty die hard Sims 2 fan, and it will always be my favorite of the series so when Sims 3 came out I was pretty picky when moving on. It's not that I hated the game, I just wasn't ready to move on and I did have a few dislikes here and there but nothing major.

Now, after playing Sims 4 and noticing it's lack of almost everything the Sims series ever was, all those little gripes I had with Sims 3 are nothing compared to how indifferent I feel about Sims 4. ( IMO) It's kind of like you don't know what you have until it's gone sort of thing.
    Right now I'm slowly collecting Sims 3 packs, and getting things from the store ( I haven't spent a dime on the store yet, been using that free thing) and I'm loving it. I know I'm enjoying a Sims game when I start commentating on the Sims antics and just get lost and have no cares to give.

So no, Sims 4 actually made it easier to go back. I'm still hoping though.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,032 Member
    It is hard for me to go back to 2 and 3 simply because I have a finite amount of time I can devote to gaming. I work full time, volunteer weekly at a senior citizens center, have church and weekly bible study. Add in my other hobbies like reading, needlework, and jigsaw puzzles, time spent with family and friends, and chores and that doesn't leave a lot of time. If I had the time I would love to be able to play all 3 and it's really sad to see people refer to any of the versions as a mess, or a flop or any of the many derogatory terms I've seen to describe all versions because they all bring something different and wonderful to the table.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited November 2015
    I'm disappointed because The Sims 4 game is one of my absolute favorites. They multi-tasking and smoothness of the game is amazing. The downfall, however, is that there's really not much to do, especially for a legacy player like myself. I've not been able to get through a Legacy because I get severely bored.

I miss the fullness of all the EPs. I tried to play TS2 with all EPs and SPs, but the graphics and very limited variations of stuff bugs me. Especially those ugly double beds. I realize there's CC for this, but when I try to put it in my game, it messes with everything and makes me unable to have 2 sims woohoo.

I went to TS3 today, and it was kind of nice. The CAS was boring and bland and disappointed me, especially with how lagged it is. My computer exceeds TS3 requirements and all my settings automatically were set as high as they could go because my computer can handle it.

I built a house and 2 sims and was about to start a legacy, I enjoyed the random designs you could put on most things, but then they sat down to eat or on the computer and it's so weird how they never talk unless you MAKE them talk, it doesn't feel like a real household.

TS4 is definately my favorite to play, but with how slow the EPs and SPs are coming out, I feel like it's going to take at least 3 more years until it feels like a "full" game with my favorite EPs like University and Generations. I want to try to go back to have a "full" game, but I find myself missing how up to date and almost advanced the base game of 4 is compared to all the other games with all EPs and SPs of 3 and 2, but still so .. lacking in something?

Nope I just played the Sims 3 the other day, the only thing that annoys me is that it takes a million hours to load up. However once I'm in its so much fun, oh and I prefer CAS in Sims 4. Other than that though, I just feel way more excited when I play Sims 3. In Sims 4 I have to try so much harder to find things to do and have fun, in Sims 3 it just happens. Want to go swim in the ocean? Sure. Want to go Scuba Diving? Why not? Want to go explore a tomb in Egypt? Sure. Want to have a winter wonderland wedding in the snow? Heck yea!!!!

The only thing I find myself wanting is for the Sims 4 CAS to be meshed with the Sims 3 game, then it would be perfect.
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    I built my PC so that I don't have lag playing TS3.

I have tried all the games as they have been released. With each iteration I was happy with the new and never really looked back. Until now. I drop in on TS4 from time to time. But TS3 is still my game.

Open Worlds. It's the main reason I never looked back at TS2 and the main reason TS4 does not hold me. As long as TS3 was in development I steered clear of all but a few mods and never needed any CC with CASt. Now with a guarantee of no new updates for TS3 I have been expanding my TS3 game with the incredible mods out there.

The one I cannot quit talking about is Nraas Traveler. With that one mod my all my expansion worlds and store bought worlds and custom worlds have been connected up into one huge TS3 Universe. What I previously considered worlds are just towns my sims visit or move to in the larger sims universe. I now rotate play between towns the way TS2 players rotated play between households. I can send my sim on vacation to France and he can run into friends from Sims U, Sunset Valley, Moonlight Falls, Monte Vista all in the same game. TS3 combined with Nraas mods is the game for me. TS4 has a long way to go if ever if it wants to compete with what I have now in TS3.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    It is harder to be satisfied with the sims games we have be it 2, 3 or 4

The Sims 4 has introduced some things that are awesome like CAS, Gallery etc but those did not compensate the lack of fun in playing the actual game. TS2 is a terrific game play but has its own problems. Each sim game has its own problems.

I don't think there is an ultimate sim game yet. You play one and you miss the stuff from the other ones! This gets frustrating.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Not really, I mostly choose to play TS4 because I enjoy it the most, I have a thing where I find older games to be extremely fun even though I have modern games :p I still go back to TS2 sometimes and occasionally TS3. I just love that all the games are different enough to make me feel like I'm experiencing something different, I guess because Toddlers, Story Progression and Vehicles aren't in TS4, I appreciate the past games more, I find it the hardest to go back to TS3 because I never liked Open World, I just found it a nuisance tbh, I only enjoy open world in Adventure RPGs or PVP games and I never really used CAW or CAST despite loving to build, the Colour Wheel I miss only because it lets me match things, I get a little grumpy knowing that the clothes and furniture in TS4 doesn't match in terms of having the same colours. But I find it easy to go back to TS2 just because it has so much that neither TS3 nor TS4 have, there is hardly any laziness in animations plus there's apartments, businesses and Pet Careers.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.