Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When is it going to be fun?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Its not up to anyone to judge others on their experiences of the game and tell them they are playing it 'wrong'. If you enjoy the game? That's wonderful! But it's not made you 'superior' in any way to anyone else.

Again we have the ridiculousness of discussing the player over the game.
    This reminds me of something that happened recently on Tumblr.

There was a confessions blog for a particular show. Some confessions were positive and some were not. However, one particular negative confession was directed toward a certain fan of the show. The confessor even said s/he submitted it there because of the anonymity allowed on the blog.

Some other fans spoke to the blog owner and agreed that shouldn't be allowed, but the blogger refused to take it down, insisting the point of a confessions blog was, well, confessions and that everyone could say what's on their minds. S/he even there was another negative confession about a different fan queued.

I'm not sure what happened after that, but the blog was either shut down or the blogger deleted it due to the backlash. Nobody had any problem with the confessions blog until fans, not the show, became the target.

My point with that story is I think the anonymity of the internet - and the ability to create practically any identity - makes us forget we're talking to people, not screens. In a literal sense, you cannot "attack" a game or a show. They're not sentitent. They can't respond. People can, so it's easier to mistakenly lash out at other fans when you're feeling strongly and your patience has worn thin.

Good Point, I think if people actually met me in person they would like me. lol And then they would understand why I put commas in weird places in my sentences, because that's how I speak...I pause at particular places for effect. And I'm really animated and expressive and waving my hands and moving my head so when they heard and saw me they wouldn't take it that I'm angry or upset and or anything other than having some fun with the outrageous things humans say.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MaddannaMaddanna Posts: 127 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Its not up to anyone to judge others on their experiences of the game and tell them they are playing it 'wrong'. If you enjoy the game? That's wonderful! But it's not made you 'superior' in any way to anyone else.

There was a confessions blog for a particular show. Some confessions were positive and some were not. However, one particular negative confession was directed toward a certain fan of the show. The confessor even said s/he submitted it there because of the anonymity allowed on the blog.

Some other fans spoke to the blog owner and agreed that shouldn't be allowed, but the blogger refused to take it down, insisting the point of a confessions blog was, well, confessions and that everyone could say what's on their minds. S/he even there was another negative confession about a different fan queued.

I'm not sure what happened after that, but the blog was either shut down or the blogger deleted it due to the backlash. Nobody had any problem with the confessions blog until fans, not the show, became the target.

My point with that story is I think the anonymity of the internet - and the ability to create practically any identity - makes us forget we're talking to people, not screens. In a literal sense, you cannot "attack" a game or a show. They're not sentitent. They can't respond. People can, so it's easier to mistakenly lash out at other fans when you're feeling strongly and your patience has worn thin.

Good Point, I think if people actually met me in person they would like me. lol And then they would understand why I put commas in weird places in my sentences, because that's how I speak...I pause at particular places for effect. And I'm really animated and expressive and waving my hands and moving my head so when they heard and saw me they wouldn't take it that I'm angry or upset and or anything other than having some fun with the outrageous things humans say.

If just by this post alone...I like you already and I haven't met you yet. LOL :D
  • Options
    Maddanna wrote: »

If just by this post alone...I like you already and I haven't met you yet. LOL :D

ROFL
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Medhia_NoxMedhia_Nox Posts: 79 Member
    @SweetieKaye: Are there people behind a show or game? Real people who worked hard creating said show or game? Real people who don't decide when games come out or what content they get to create or the vision of the game they're designing?

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Medhia_Nox wrote: »
    @SweetieKaye: Are there people behind a show or game? Real people who worked hard creating said show or game? Real people who don't decide when games come out or what content they get to create or the vision of the game they're designing?

People who create must be prepared to accept criticism. That goes for painters, writers, artists, actors etc. And also for game developers. That's never personal, it's about the product.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65: Very true. The critics of said painters, writers, artists and actors are also other trained professionals.

There's also the question on whether any given criticism is really constructive.

Anyway, I just thought it a relevant question.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

I agree :) But again the whole concept it's pointless and doesn't help anyone-in fact in this situation mentioned presumably those who behaved themselves and used the site lose out because of others who take things too far.

Doing it doesn't change the fact that people have different opinions and I guess I don't understand why you would mistake an opinion of a game into something personal.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

ROFL

I haven't met you either and I think you're weird and strange....... :D ....but then I think it's the weird and strange that makes life so interesting.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

ROFL

I haven't met you either and I think you're weird and strange....... :D ....but then I think it's the weird and strange that makes life so interesting.

Indeed. :p
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2015
    @JoAnne65: Very true. The critics of said painters, writers, artists and actors are also other trained professionals.

There's also the question on whether any given criticism is really constructive.

There are professional critics and fan - amateur - critics in every discipline. And in fact I often value the opinion of fans more than those of the professionals. Who are quite often just peeing vinegar like we put it over here, without the love and care that's often accompanying criticism fans may have. If you think by the way artists can't be really hurt by professional critics, think again.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @blueturtleotter: Actually, I speak with my money.

I state my case once. Then, if I return and the service is poor again. I discontinue my patronage.

IF I continue my patronage - I do not keep continuing to complain, because I believe it is my personal responsibility to make optimal life choices for myself.

I already stated several times I believe in expectations, criticism and speaking with your money. I don't believe in complaining.

My point was simply to ask why people are against generalization... unless they make blanket dehumanized figures like Maxis and EA to pour their generalizing into.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited November 2015
    I'm a bit concerned that this is a deliberate derailment and as such, if people keep responding, the thread will be either moved out of general or closed.

Maxis has asked for criticisms. They want to know why people are not engaging, and they want to make an enjoyable game. I commend them for that attitude.

People are getting bored with the game. I think the primary reason I get bored is it's not much of a sandbox. While I like tasks (and I really do), if that's going to be the bulk of the gameplay, I'm going to find a game which does it better. See, I like the mix of sandbox with optional tasks -- I think Sims 3 may have been a bit task heavy at points (WA tombs, I'm looking at you), but I also did like the random opportunities and am glad that the issue with those for people with ITF was fixed recently by a modder.

I want to like Sims 4 which is why I'm still here. I see some potential, but that's not enough for me to continue to pour money into the game. I want fun :)
  • Options

Criticism is part of life and it comes at you from all sides. It's a life lesson that people need to learn how to deal with and learn early.

Criticism can be professional or personal. You can be an artist and be critiqued by a "professional" and yet it's still an opinion. The same art can be critiqued by a "civilian" and it's still an opinion. No matter where the criticism comes from it's still an opinion and may or may not be true.

I've been a self employed artist/craftswoman for the majority of my adult life. If I took all criticism to heart I would never have gotten past my first show.

As to whether criticism is constructive or not depends on what you do with it. It's good to learn when it is constructive and when it's irrelevant.

As far as critiquing this game.....'The Sims 4' Producer Wants Players To 'Keep Yelling At Us Online' And EA Is Listening.

http://www.ibtimes.com/sims-4-producer-wants-players-keep-yelling-us-online-ea-listening-1702211

"Vaughan wasn't insulted or surprised by the number of users who openly voiced their dissatisfaction with the game, and that the passion for the series is what inspires him to roll out updates and pay attention to player feedback."

"We’re already listening to fans and I want to encourage them to keep telling us things, keep yelling at us online. We love that. Not just from a business perspective; I’m a video game developer and I want to make the most fun game possible. Keep up what you’re saying and tell us what you want.”
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @Medhia_Nox well at this point I'd say it's fine to agree to disagree there. You have clearly stated you don't believe in complaining that won't change. That's fine by me.

Not to counter your point though but I do believe there are some simmers here including myself that felt they've been tricked through deceitful marketing which caused them to invest their money not knowing they wouldn't see the promised returns on their investment. That is different from complaining after you knew what you were SETTLING with which is different IMO.

You've made your point on this post and I'll respect that, have a good day and happy simming :)
  • Options
    ejoslin wrote: »
    I'm a bit concerned that this is a deliberate derailment and as such, if people keep responding, it will be either moved out of general or closed.

Maxis has asked for criticisms. They want to know why people are not engaging, and they want to make an enjoyable game. I commend them for that attitude.

People are getting bored with the game. I think the primary reason I get bored is it's not much of a sandbox. While I like tasks (and I really do), if that's going to be the bulk of the gameplay, I'm going to find a game which does it better. See, I like the mix of sandbox with optional tasks -- I think Sims 3 may have been a bit task heavy at points (WA tombs, I'm looking at you), but I also did like the random opportunities and am glad that the issue with those for people with ITF was fixed recently by a modder.

Agree, I get bored with it because I can't actually play the sandbox since a lot of it is missing. I would prefer many things that were in the older games to do with responses and reactions they had in the past and then I could laugh and enjoy it more. I'm wondering how many years I would have to wait to see these Sims go to a restaurant to eat, play hide and seek, fall over dead from illness if I failed to cure them etc. I think I'm going to have to go play something else since I doubt any of that is coming back when there are so many who don't even want someone like the Unsavory Charlatan character in the game to rob Sims. That was heaven to see him pick pocket. >:) And even better if he followed your Sim home and then they got into a fight autonomously. Good times.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited November 2015

I state my case once. Then, if I return and the service is poor again. I discontinue my patronage.

IF I continue my patronage - I do not keep continuing to complain, because I believe it is my personal responsibility to make optimal life choices for myself.

I already stated several times I believe in expectations, criticism and speaking with your money. I don't believe in complaining.

Many of the people who do not like 4, or are not enamoured by it, have spoken with their money.

However The Sims is more than just number 4. There may be a 5 and 4 is being expanded upon. Feedback on these forums has been proven to affect the Gurus' decisions. Do you seriously think pools, ghosts etc. would have been free if people had not complained? Complaints make the Gurus work harder. They remove complacency. They show them the extent of disappointment.

Many people here want 4 to be improved to a state where they can play it. They may not be playing now, but they want to in the future. Maxis have asked for people to shout out their opinions on these forums and that is what people are doing. If they were not doing that here, Maxis would not know exactly what people's issues are with the game and they would have less incentive to patch the game.

If 4 cannot be made into a state to allow certain people to enjoy it, there is the hope that the feedback from these people will ensure that if there is a Sims 5, Maxis will have all the information they need to not repeat the same mistakes.

• Options

My point was simply to ask why people are against generalization... unless they make blanket dehumanized figures like Maxis and EA to pour their generalizing into.

Isn't "complaining" another one of those in the eye of the beholder things?

Can you tell me the difference between complaining and trying to get results? Is it how many times you express a wish. Is one enough? Is three to many?

I am talking with my wallet and I am also stating why I'm talking with my wallet.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Isn't "complaining" another one of those in the eye of the beholder things?

Can you tell me the difference between complaining and trying to get results? Is it how many times you express a wish. Is one enough? Is three to many?

I am talking with my wallet and I am also stating why I'm talking with my wallet.

Yes because EA can't read minds on why you and others have stopped investing. It's saving them money employing expensive consumer consultants to get to the bottom of the issues ;)

As for 'Optimal life choices' and inferring others aren't doing the best for themselves because they don't act as you are is matter of judging others. What someone believes is best for themselves is good enough. Worry about yourself and live and let live :)
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    For me personally, the game will be fun when the following criteria is met;

Toddlers
    Pets
    Restaurants/Dining

I can think of many more things but those are main things I really need to start taking this game seriously as a family player and a realist player.
    Pets and toddlers because I don't feel a family is a family without the opportunity to have them and dining because there is a decent number of community activities starting to build up but the fact that you can't simply go out for a meal with friends and family is a gaping hole in socialising.

Considering Get Together doesn't include this for an expansion that is focused on socialising and meeting up with friends is utterly ridiculous. Makes me really resent the 'expansion'.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I'm not sure that adding things would help me enjoy the game more. I think Maxis really shot themselves in the foot by not consulting a behavorist. It's a problem I have relating with the sims because their reactions just are not real. They're getting better in some ways, adding some more just real reactions. The example I like to use because it's the most obvious is the woohoo cheer/fistbump/dance. That's not a human reaction in that situation, and fortunately have changed that with subsequent woohoo spots (finally, a kiss), but still, it remains in the original woohoo spots. But that's just one of many that make the game really feel very shallow to me.

Part of the charm of the Sims for me is that you have these little human simulations that you can put into all sorts of weird situations and understand their reaction to it. In Sims 4, not so much so, and since the game is focused on emotions, it's a serious shortcoming to the very foundation of the game.

I see that they're trying to address this, though, but hopefully at some point they will consult with someone who actually studies human behavior (if they haven't already -- they admitted to not doing so during the initial development but that doesn't mean didn't after the game was released) to get some real insight.
  • Options
    @ejoslin that is my biggest issue with the sims also. Limited simulated human behaviour and most of what has been implemented (in terms of sims socialising) is unrelatable or doesn't work as it should ie. reponses to death, cheating etc. (with few exceptions such as group chats). As much as I don't like the way things seem to be going with the game now I'm pretty sure that as time progresses that much they'll address with patches. (hopefully?)
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    I wasn't looking down on her. I have NEVER said her opinion is wrong or should not be stated. I didn't say she was rude. I'm now tempted to roll my eyes.

My question was simple, which has yet to be answered without an unrelated rant beyond the wording I used. If you think I've said something I shouldn't, for goodness sakes, report me, instead of this charade.

Question (just as a reminder): If I, as somebody who likes the game, cannot say "If you don't find the game fun, why are you here", why should somebody be able to say to me "If you don't like the negative conotions of this thread, why read it"?

"If you don't find the game fun, why are you here" --- because this website is for all The Sims versions not just TS4.

"If you don't like the negative conotions of this thread, why read it?" --- good question. If one is offended by the negativity, they should not have to read it.
  • Options
    noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    You know what the feeling is that I get from all of this? 'Familiarity breeds contempt'. Basically, people stop respecting (relatively worded) TS4 because they learned all it's negatives. In more human-speak, people on here focus so much on the bad that they took the fun out of it for themselves.
    I know what you're getting at and I attacked that state of mind you're describing here, because I suspected my objections against the game had a lot to do with my negativity. And it worked. I focused on the cartoony aspect, I made a comic book story with my pics and I genuinely liked doing that. And I told myself to shut up, complaining all the time, bought some additions and continued playing. By no means having a bad time, it was rather fun to play and it was a lot of fun to create that comic book story. And then someone asked me if I still played Sims 2, and I said no, I was 100% giving Sims 4 a chance, and all of a sudden I got submerged by this odd feeling and I literally wrote (you can check it on my wall): "Must admit every bone in my body is screaming PLAY SIMS 3, GO TO HEIR 21 AND PLAY HER LIFE! by now. But I'm a strong woman and I fight it ^.^"

I wasn't a strong woman, I didn't fight. Next time I wanted to play I started up Sims 3 and since then I've been playing 3. Who was I fooling anyway. I don't hate Sims 4, I don't dislike it even, it's colourful and funny at times. But to me (to me) it's too shallow in a way to continue playing. And it really leaves me sad.

I have the same feeling about TS4. Luckily, there are alternatives.
    However, the point was more meta if you will. The community is not inspiring a nice game of TS4, instead it is telling people they have wasted time and money, 24/7, from the very first moment someone noticed there weren't toddlers. I come and go on this board, as it really isn't the best place to have a nice discussion about a gameseries that I love, and to my surprise everytime, the same people are still here, on a daily basis, telling people they also encounter on a daily basis, how they hate it that toddlers aren't in the game.

This board isn't a healthy place and at this point no one here can point a finger at the simgurus anymore. This place is full of people who have lost so much self-awareness that they don't even have the spark anymore to take a moment out of their daily craving for shared misery to ask themselves; "Is this me?"

It's a very simple question. It's not so easy to answer.

PS. I don't know if I'll be back before another two or three months have been come and gone. Shouldn't stop anyone from reflecting though. I'm looking forward to seeing the very same people then, who have not come to realise a single thing.

I really hope that you read my earlier post, and I apologize because I'm not trying to give you a hard time, and yes you have a right to post anywhere you choose, but I'm curious, if you see that a thread is ' negative" and not happy with the game, why do you feel compelled to open the thread and read it? Then you complain because you disagree with those who post, and seem intolerant of the differing points of view.
    Is that really fair?
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I got the free 48 hour trial for Sims 4 from Origin a while back, decided within 3 hours that it was not the game for me, I was happy for the freebie as I was planning on buying the base game just to check it out. Origin saved me $60.00...though actually they have gotten more than my share of money in the past 11 months (recieved my base Sims 3 and two EPs for Christmas), I now own almost all the EPs (missing Katy Perry stuff) and bought a heap of store content for Sims 3, that game is my perfect match. :0)