Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    All right, another blog to follow legacy!

I made the "mistake" of reading through Gen One and only then skipping to the fourth. I like both. That means the middle meat can't be bad either. If I ever get to it. :p

Looking forward to the discussion questions later!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    One day left to catch up! I'm still not done, either! :dizzy:

Nearly there. Ede is starting to meet up with the mailman. :)
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    *rushes in late carrying Starbucks for everyone and a big bag of bagels*

W....WELCOME TO COFFEE HOUR! *stumbles*

This week we're discussing @FloorRaisin 's Wolff Legacy! If you've read the whole thing AWESOME! If you've read only one generation ALSO AWESOME! I hope my questions for the readers will be easily accessible whether or not you've read the whole thing.

ALSO, feel free to answer any bits of any questions if you feel the urge (this goes for reader and author!)

I'm hoping to post three sets of questions today so let's get movin'!

For the author:

1. ​This legacy has an alphabetical naming traditions with a flower theme. Which names did you have the most trouble with? Are there any flower names from K-Z you'd like to see in the legacy? Would you consider shifting the rules just to use a specific flower?

2. More naming questions! ;) Have you ever let your perception of the flower-named sim color the personality of said sim? I'm specifically thinking of Edelweiss here, haha! You actually touch upon her name in this chapter (Malcom is so deep! XD)

For the readers: (We'll start easy, lol!)

1. From the generation(s) you were able to read who was your favorite character?

2. There are many different plotlines going on within the legacy. What was your favorite part of the bits you read?
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    1. Ede. Definitely Ede. Although, Estrella was pretty cool too.
    2. It's been a while since I've read this, and this whole thing is just like non-stop hilarity. But, I think Ede's whole life has been my favorite part...especially when she gets her mailman :D
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    1. From the generation(s) you were able to read who was your favorite character?

Dia was (is) my first and deepest TS4 crush. Oh, I was so in love with him all through gen 4--even when he was a young adult in the gen 3 chapters. And the love story between him and Cooper is touching to me.

I also really, really love Cooper. I love the way she fought not to become her mom, and I love the way that she faced her own internal feelings of challenge and discomfort. I also adored the love that she and Dia shared--and, of course, she's Elder's mom!

It was really interesting to me with Cooper--she came to my game for Elder and Young CT's wedding, and this was after Dia had passed. So, you know how when Sims travel through the gallery it removes from their explicit memory their relationship with Sims from their original save? With that, you might think that when Cooper came through the Gallery to my game, she would have forgotten her grief for Dia. But no. It seemed that Cooper was changed at the level of her coding through the loss of her husband. She carried such sadness with her. She and Young CT became really good friends, and we've always wished that Free would have had a chance to meet his grandma.

Cooper was a really incredible Sim, and the way that Raisin explored and portrayed her character was moving and profound.

(Oh, Estrella! I adored her, too!)

2. There are many different plotlines going on within the legacy. What was your favorite part of the bits you read?

I love the mac and cheese incident! And I love that the story of the mac and cheese was one that Clem told Estrella! I'll never forget that screenshot where Clem tells it to her as a secret!

Up until the beginning of gen 5, I was seeing the story as lots of different generational plot lines. Then, around the time of Cooper's memorial service, Young CT was telling Free stories of his family, and I saw the whole story as one long love story. All these incredible love stories that we get--carried through the generations, it shows the story of a family as one long love story.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    edited October 2015

Oh! Dia from Generation 4 was my very favorite heir and everything always and forever. That's where I started the Wolff legacy...OMG, remember Cooper, his wife? Of course you do. She was fantastic, too. That whole generation with Easter Lily and Ed (the current heir!!) and Elder...

I really loved it. I have gone back and browsed through the other generations, but I feel like it was during this generation that Raisin really got into the characters on a plot level...while still keeping her awesome sense of sarcasm/sense of humor.

I adore Raisin's little side notes. Her sense of humor and they way she comments on things her Sims are doing always makes me laugh. I reread the chapter when the mac and cheese is stuck to Cal. Guh. Died of laughter. It's those little touches that make Raisin's writing unique and fun to read.

<3
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    This and Goofy Love were the first legacy stories I ever read. I'm not sur if one was first or if I found them both on the same day. But needless to say, without the Wolff Legacy, my own legacy would be much much poorer, or dropped all together. And I wouldn't be here on this forum or participating in sim sharing events.

Without the Wolffs there would be no Elder and no Free-Jon and onezero wouldn't be living in my game.

So THANK YOU for writing such and awesome and inspiring legacy.

Onto questions. I loved Dia. As a writer and his romance with Cooper was amazing. I feel like he is one of the foundational characters that really shaped the legacy. I love when Ede found or showed off his books generations later to her mailman. PS. I love that romance as well.

I loved Ede's mailman plot. The rebuilding of the house, the columns and windows that were just "stuck on". It was a great way to show the house evolving. And how she hired him first and then she, a serial romancer, found a soulmate by accident. She changed, but it felt so natural.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    I am SO torn because as I was re-reading this past week I kept thinking "oh, Coop is my favorite." But then you move on and you're suddenly like "Wait, maybe Ede is my favorite? What about Malcom?!" The safest answer, for me, is Frankenplant, obviously. ;)
    frankenplant.png?w=648

I also love the mailman plot! It really shook up the typical legacy story and I loved that about it! I remember when Raisin first started with Malcom I would check back obsessively to see if there was an update. (I was really on point with my keeping-up-with-everyone game, lol.)
  • Options
    Oh no! Why don't I remember the mac 'n cheese incident?? What chapter is that from?
    forum_final.png

• Options

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Thanks
    forum_final.png

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Oh RIGHT lol. Totally forgot about that. Man...I had also forgotten how beautiful Clematis was! The Wolff pack is full of beautiful men :p
    forum_final.png

• Options
    Think it's time for some more questions? It's been about 3 hours. Raisin said she'd pop in from time to time so she can collect her questions when she arrives. :blush:

For @FloorRaisin :
    Your writing style has shifted from a casual telling of your legacy to a more third person story with actual plot points (it really inspired me while I was working on my own legacy). Has this affected how you've played the game or are you able to keep the story separate? For example, do you find yourself trying to set up screenshots or do you just take what the game gives you?

For the readers:
    We know that Elder has numerous selves all around the world (and also ​Digitalis and others!) but which of the Wolff clan (past or present) would you like to come visit your own game/stories? If you already have someone on your hard drive how are they doing?
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member

My first thought was Ede. Then I remembered Coop. And Dia. And Easter. And Elder. My favorite is all of them!

Well I guess after reading what I wrote to answer the first question I realize that all my favorites were from Dia's brood. Gen 4 and 5 are just sooo great. It's a toss up between Dia and Coop's story (Oh I just remembered the storyline about Coop and her mom -guh there's just so much) and Ede and the mailman. Plot-wise those were my favorites, but so much of what there is to love about the Wolffs are witty one-liners @FloorRaisin sprinkles in.

E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member

Estrella for being so ridiculously hot and perfect for Clem. I loved how she had one day left to elderhood when she moved in with the legacy family and how she just 'clicked' with Clem right away, it was definitely the hottest legacy romance ever recorded. Even her gardening skills came in so handy. I was just so attached to her the whole time. And I think my love for Ede, who is my second favourite character, is partly coming from my affection for Estrella, because Ede looks like Estrella a lot.

Dia's detective series about Smoky Steel and his love story with the sultry Secret Agent :)
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    We know that Elder has numerous selves all around the world (and also ​Digitalis and others!) but which of the Wolff clan (past or present) would you like to come visit your own game/stories? If you already have someone on your hard drive how are they doing?

Fun question!

IfWhen I start my legacy... I could totally imagine Ede and Malcolm, popping in to give advice on how to run a successful legacy. This was just the first thing I thought of. I guess because that's kind of what Malcolm did for Ede at the beginningish of their relationship.

Not that I wouldn't love to do it, but I can't think of a scenario of a Wolff visiting either of my current stories. One is basically a closed set. And the other is an apocalypse. Hmm. Which of the Wolffs would do well in the apocalypse?
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    FloorRaisinFloorRaisin Posts: 1,340 Member
    Eep, this is so awkward and sweet. *blush* Thanks, you guys. :)

For my question-answers:
    1. ​This legacy has an alphabetical naming traditions with a flower theme. Which names did you have the most trouble with? Are there any flower names from K-Z you'd like to see in the legacy? Would you consider shifting the rules just to use a specific flower?

I am kind of struggling with whether to stick with this or not, depending on who the next heir is. Fennel, I can see going with it as he's a nature nut and kind of odd. Forsythia would probable go along with it too. Freesia, I could see saying "screw it" and naming her kid Joe. :)

F was hard! And G, I haven't decided on.
    2. More naming questions! ;) Have you ever let your perception of the flower-named sim color the personality of said sim? I'm specifically thinking of Edelweiss here, haha! You actually touch upon her name in this chapter (Malcom is so deep! XD)

That kind of developed naturally. Way before I got to E I knew I wanted to use the name Edelweiss, because I like to sing the song from Sound of Music (just for fun, mind - I'm terrible, lol). When Ede came out so surly, her name became quite amusing to me. It felt like an attempt to make her soft and girly, so it added to her kind of rebellious attitude and her constant struggle to remain confined. Later on, as she softened and was becoming a mother, I realized how profound the name had turned out to be. And it was weird that I'd never had Malcom use a nickname. Wasn't intentional - that sorta just happened in the way I felt he responded to her.

Little secret - my middle name IRL is a flower name. As a punchy tomboy, I grew up HATING it, but now I appreciate it for providing contrast (& because the grandma I was named after is no longer around and it's an honor to carry that namesake along).

So, I guess, maybe the name does influence their development on some subconscious level. :)
    The Wolff Legacy - whattheplum.wordpress.com - Latest update: Forward, Fast
  • Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    *ninjapig bounces in* <3

Sorry we're late! @Meggles, thank you for the refreshments and the awesome questions so far!

Without a doubt, Digitalis. I think @FloorRaisin did such an amazing job characterising him. I first took notice of him when he aged up with the Neat trait and exclaimed about how filthy the counters were mid-spin. I also find it so endearing when he gets upset over dirty dishes. :)

Everything involving Cooper and Dianthus. From the moment they met at the park up until Dia's last day.

3. We know that Elder has numerous selves all around the world (and also ​Digitalis and others!) but which of the Wolff clan (past or present) would you like to come visit your own game/stories? If you already have someone on your hard drive how are they doing?

I'd love to have Clematis or Anemone in my game. Both of them are so iconic and lovely to look at. :)
  • Options
    For @FloorRaisin :
    Your writing style has shifted from a casual telling of your legacy to a more third person story with actual plot points (it really inspired me while I was working on my own legacy). Has this affected how you've played the game or are you able to keep the story separate? For example, do you find yourself trying to set up screenshots or do you just take what the game gives you?

Oh man. This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but, I am pretty much just blindly stumbling through with very little planning or coordination. I don't even stay consistent in format or voice from one post to the next. :blush:

Here's how it pretty much goes:

I play and take a bunch of screenshots. (Sometimes during this a clear plotline will emerge - those times are lovely 'cause they're lots easier and I can direct actions to help out, but that's kind of rare.) Oft I'll printscreen to capture thought bubbles so I remember. I scribble notes on paper too.

Later, I sit, usually with some caffeinated beverage, and look at them. See what pops out. Try to recall what was going on.
    If I find I could benefit from supplementary screenshots, I will do things like play through a party a second time to grab those.

For conversations, it's heavily based on the kind of interaction the sim chose - Malcom, lately, has been Lying About Job to his kids. I interpret this as him downplaying how much he hates it, because he's got these persistent whims to take vacation and comes home stressed daily.

If a sim tells an Outrageous Story, I try to make one up.

.. this sounds like I'm saying it all comes from the Sims, but that's not true either. Sometimes, I just pull stuff out of my butt.

Or, I'll write when I'm sick and have a fever. That can produce some gems, haha.. The part where teen Cooper lived in the park happened while I was super ill. No planning, just went with it.

Or a conversation I have with someone will remind me of one of my sims, and inspires certain interactions. (Ace and Freesia and Stuart and Reagan are all enhanced by my conversations with @bilmonaghan - he's kind of been my accidental muse for this generation, haha.)

I'm actually planning on doing more staging for this gen, because I want Ace (aspiring author) to use his storytelling more, like he did in Ice Cream Headache. But even that is just me putting sims into a certain situation and watching what happens, & then trying to make sense of it afterward. (Ace and Freesia's dress-up activities actually take place on a parallel save game - I do this so I can control Ace without getting too rule-breaky.)
  • Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member

Or a conversation I have with someone will remind me of one of my sims, and inspires certain interactions. (Ace and Freesia and Stuart and Reagan are all enhanced by my conversations with @bilmonaghan - he's kind of been my accidental muse for this generation, haha.)

So that's why Stuart raises tilapia in the bathtub and keeps a rotating six-month stock of rice and dried beans in his bunker. Here, I thought it was just some weird coincidence.

Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member

Well, Elder is still in my Sidelines game. But he doesn't show up much and hasn't made friends with anyone in the family so we can't invite him to parties. He prefers his own save which is used for simself and short story works and there he's all over the place. So there's always a chance he'll appear in my short stories as a background character.

And I really, really like Ace. He's so down to earth and yet completely out there which feels pretty familiar to me. I wouldn't mind meeting him sometime.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options

So that's why Stuart raises tilapia in the bathtub and keeps a rotating six-month stock of rice and dried beans in his bunker. Here, I thought it was just some weird coincidence.

Hey now, you're as much Ace as you are Stuart.

*hopes that was convincing*

;D
  • Options
    @Meggles Thanks for being a great coffee hour host! Loved your questions--they prompted me to think in new ways about this story! And I loved everyone's answers.

@FloorRaisin Thanks for sharing your story with readers! :)

• Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    1. Ede. Definitely Ede. Although, Estrella was pretty cool too.
    2. It's been a while since I've read this, and this whole thing is just like non-stop hilarity. But, I think Ede's whole life has been my favorite part...especially when she gets her mailman :D

I forgot to check this yesterday!! And I agree with Jes. Ede is my absolute favorite of all favorites.

• Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    I play and take a bunch of screenshots. (Sometimes during this a clear plotline will emerge - those times are lovely 'cause they're lots easier and I can direct actions to help out, but that's kind of rare.) ... If I find I could benefit from supplementary screenshots, I will do things like play through a party a second time to grab those. ... this sounds like I'm saying it all comes from the Sims, but that's not true either. Sometimes, I just pull stuff out of my butt.
    I'm actually planning on doing more staging for this gen, because I want Ace (aspiring author) to use his storytelling more, like he did in Ice Cream Headache. But even that is just me putting sims into a certain situation and watching what happens, & then trying to make sense of it afterward. (Ace and Freesia's dress-up activities actually take place on a parallel save game - I do this so I can control Ace without getting too rule-breaky.)

I was thinking your playing style is a lot like mine, but it's very different too. Your plots seem to emerge more from the Sims' actions, and I think shows in how, like, personally reflective a lot of your posts are. I tend to go in with a broad plotline I try to herd my Sims toward, but they definitely seem to pick their own way of getting there. Either way, it's kinda fun in that playing and writing feel kinda like a collaborative process, where the Sims have at least as much say in what's going on as their Player does.

Maintaining a parallel world were you flesh out the stories of your non-Legacy households is a neat idea. Having somewhere besides a more-or-less-strict Legacy game to play gives you more chances to explore various aspects of the game and themes that come up in your writing.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png