Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    crockatailcrockatail Posts: 312 Member
    crockatail wrote: »
    anettesb wrote: »
    If toddlers don't get done for Sims 4 until maybe late, what is then the hope for sims5
    > None that I can see,family players will start to leave slowly move on to other companies games. Sims 4 will be my last,for now the trust in EA and Maxis is near zero.

For me it has dropped far below zero and it is getting that way for everyone now

:disappointed:

>I know
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    If toddlers don't get done for Sims 4 until maybe late, what is then the hope for sims5
    > None that I can see,family players will start to leave slowly move on to other companies games. Sims 4 will be my last,for now the trust in EA and Maxis is near zero.

For me it has dropped far below zero and it is getting that way for everyone now

Not *everyone* but plenty enough :(

@crockatail I think you are among many customers who feel that way :(
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member

I think that TS5 will either be a make or break game, they could learn from their mistakes and it could be the best game ever, or they will learn that a few people buy it because it has 'The Sims' on it and then sell yet another half finished game

I sense the latter

I think your right
    that is if they make it
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    I think they'll just shelve it for a few years then come back promising huge things. I won't forget though and will be very wary of anything else from them.
  • Options

>Sims 2 and 3 was with me during my cancer treatments.I was playing Sims 2 when I learned.that I'd stage 2 breast cancer
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »
    I haven't been in this thread in awhile! Maybe about 300 pages back lol, so hi ----
    This is old news, but with them talking about toddlers in the survery, I hope we see them soon:) Although unfortunately I feel like they won't give it to us as a surprise for Sims 4 first anniversary. If we don't get it 'till then, then I guess there's no point in really fighting a lost cause.

I don't think so-try to remember --- that if we aren't obvious even if they cant get themselves together for TS4 that once TS5 comes round they won't bother then either ;)
    Lovely to see you pop by anyway :)

Eh, I'm not sure if there will be a Sims 5 anymore. And our only real hope is if we get different directors, someone that isn't Rachel Franklin # 2. If we get a new director that studies up properly on the Sims or has even followed it and the community, something better might arise.

As for now, our only hope for Toddlers is in an expansion pack, like the survey somewhat mentioned. I really don't see them fully listening to us ...
  • Options

Yea im below Zero too

And hope for some great competition.... imagen if the marked was like for shooting games?

I just hope ea wake up and give more family play and patch in todlers
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options

>Sims 2 and 3 was with me during my cancer treatments.I was playing Sims 2 when I learned.that I'd stage 2 breast cancer

I'm glad you had it to escape into @crockatail *big cuddles*

That is what upset me most about TS4. That one of the participants here found out he was terminally ill and wanted that escape in TS4 but was so disappointed. It broke my heart and why I feel so strongly about this.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I think they'll just shelve it for a few years then come back promising huge things. I won't forget though and will be very wary of anything else from them.

Me to warns against ea.... so do some in technical shopes her as well..... or more they primarely recommending other companies
    Post edited by anettesb on
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Yea im below Zero too

And hope for some great competition.... imagen if the marked was like for shooting games?

It is a shame that no one has yet dared take on a game like The Sims, I think in the past other developers might have been too wary, not just because of the so called 'legal issues' but more about the fact that too many people would have compared it to The Sims and the demands would be too high but as popularity is dropping, now could be the time for other devs to come along, providing they have the right mind set for it rather than to just use it as a cash cow
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

I'm glad you had it to escape into @crockatail *big cuddles*

That is what upset me most about TS4. That one of the participants here found out he was terminally ill and wanted that escape in TS4 but was so disappointed. It broke my heart and why I feel so strongly about this.

. Thanks,I wish EA and Maxis can see how people who're ill can use the Sims as a form of therapy.I was a CNA working part time with the elderly in a nursing home. I brought to them a painting class twice weekly.Its got their mind off being in the nursing home for a hour and a half.
  • Options
    Cesal95Cesal95 Posts: 298 Member
    I haven't been in this thread in awhile! Maybe about 300 pages back lol, so hi ----
    This is old news, but with them talking about toddlers in the survery, I hope we see them soon:) Although unfortunately I feel like they won't give it to us as a surprise for Sims 4 first anniversary. If we don't get it 'till then, then I guess there's no point in really fighting a lost cause.

I don't think so-try to remember --- that if we aren't obvious even if they cant get themselves together for TS4 that once TS5 comes round they won't bother then either ;)

Eh, I'm not sure if there will be a Sims 5 anymore. And our only real hope is if we get different directors, someone that isn't Rachel Franklin # 2. If we get a new director that studies up properly on the Sims or has even followed it and the community, something better might arise.

As for now, our only hope for Toddlers is in an expansion pack, like the survey somewhat mentioned. I really don't see them fully listening to us ...

Also someone that isn't Lucy Bradshaw, I mean, she's the general manager at Maxis despite the fact that she ruined SimCity 2013, sigh.
    There's so many talented people out there and I'm sure there's also a lot of them that are passionate about the game and the community.
    PoroLoL_zpset4qfym5.gif
  • Options

Yea im below Zero too

It is a shame that no one has yet dared take on a game like The Sims, I think in the past other developers might have been too wary, not just because of the so called 'legal issues' but more about the fact that too many people would have compared it to The Sims and the demands would be too high but as popularity is dropping, now could be the time for other devs to come along, providing they have the right mind set for it rather than to just use it as a cash cow

Yea now would be the time to give it a go
  • Options
    Cesal95 wrote: »

Also someone that isn't Lucy Bradshaw, I mean, she's the general manager at Maxis despite the fact that she ruined SimCity 2013, sigh.
    There's so many talented people out there and I'm sure there's also a lot of them that are passionate about the game and the community.

Yea im below Zero too

I will reply to both replies here

Just look at Cities Skyline, even though I never played it myself, all I have heard is good things, not bad for a game in this day and age and this has now taken from the market that Sim City was in for more than 20 years!

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

Yea im below Zero too

Just look at Cities Skyline, even though I never played it myself, all I have heard is good things, not bad for a game in this day and age and this has now taken from the market that Sim City was in for more than 20 years!

I looked and only really see good things..... so little hope
  • Options

Yea im below Zero too

I looked and only really see good things..... so little hope

I personally believe that there are dozens of devs out there that could do it so there is some home left somewhere :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I see a lot of new faces here and that's pretty awesome. I'm glad to see this thread still lives on. I'm currently playing my older games as time permits. Anyway, I hope this thread lives on forever or until we get toddlers back. Well done @Sparkfairy1 for keeping the hope alive.
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I'm FUMING. Uuuuuuuugh I hated that most recent interview with Rachel so much. I literally have an issue with every answer she gave. Wow. That's bad even for me. I can usually find SOME silver lining... but no. No. She's awful and that interview was awful and I'm so annoyed.

(Sorry for the long post but I wanted the orig questions/answers here for my own reference & context for anyone reading. My comments are in black, interview in gray.)

Get Together is The Sims 4’s second expansion. What was the internal feeling at the studio about where the game was prior to its creation, and where did you want to take the game?

Rachel Franklin: I think there’s something really special about The Sims 4, the personalities, and the way that when the sims get together as individuals, they have really interesting dynamics. So, when we were looking at that dynamic and how we would expand that, it made sense that you would be able to lead groups into interesting dynamics as well. It felt like that was a missing piece that we really wanted. We hear about how people are playing, and we have data that shows how people play the game, and to be able to have those group dynamics come through and create really interesting moments is what we felt like we needed to add to the game.

The personalities in sims 4 are a constant source of complaints. People, at least here on the forums, frequently mention how the traits have no lasting effects, how relationships between sims are shallow, sims do not care for one another - especially family members - and how emotions (usually caused by decor) are the only driving force behind sim behavior... so I have no idea what she's talking about. IMO they need to work an awful lot on individual sim personalities and natural group dynamics before creating a structured 'club' system. Are we to understand that having a book club is more important than having a family? You can only add 8 sims to a group, so presumably these groups are going to be all but useless if you have extended family you hoped to include in your 'family dynamic'. Swing and a miss, Rachel.

Can you tell me a bit about the metrics you collect on player behaviour, and how that shapes the game?

Rachel Franklin: We use it to think, ‘Are people even getting to the incredible content that we put into the game?’ If we find that people aren’t getting to see certain content or certain gameplay moments, we know we have to change something in the game. So we’ll use it for something like tuning. We’ll also say, ‘You know what? People aren’t really using this skill so much – maybe they prefer these other skills. Why don’t we make more of the things that they like?’ It’s really telling when you put together what people are saying they want with what they are actually doing in the game – it’s sometimes quite different.

Ri-god-darn-diculous. As other wonderful people here immediately pointed out, data collected in this manner does not account for people who have stopped playing, or are forcing themselves to play in a way they do not enjoy as much. Her statement here is just plain illogical. If I say I want toddlers, are they now going to look at the telemetry from my origin account and say, well she SAYS she wants them, but we can see here she's never had one in her game! Guess she really doesn't know her own mind! I mean seriously, it's just such a insane thing to do/say. I've ranted about this in numerous other threads so I wont go on and on in regard to this point, but seriously, this rhetoric needs to stop, and the team needs to use some COMMON SENSE to see that they are not using the data they have available to them in an appropriate way.

The possibilities for what to add in a new Sims expansion are almost endless. Scanning the official forums, people want pets, college, toddlers, the afterlife… How do you decide what to focus on?

Rachel Franklin: it’s pretty complex for us to take all of the inputs we get. We listen to our fans, absolutely. We are taking all of the inputs on social media and we have groups that we bring in to talk to us. That’s really important – to have that one-on-one time to really talk to people, so we can go deeper into what they’re actually thinking. We have the data from the game. We have a nice big team that loves The Sims and are active players, so we have our own player base within our own team. Then we get inspiration rom life itself. We think about how all of those factor in, and also the development cycle for things is different – certain things are going to take us a while. Certain things we’re starting on won’t come out for a long time, other things have a different pace. So, we have a long term vision, but that gets modified by how people are playing the game and what we hear from the players.

Way to go Rachel for once again desperately insisting that you are listening to the fans while simultaneously doing the one thing that just about all of us hate -vaguely hinting at mysterious future content. I can't wait for the upcoming "Get Certain Things" EP, though. Minus 14,857,602 points for mentioning 'the vision' without explaining it. Again.

The main criticism of The Sims 4 at launch was that it lacked content compared to prior Sims titles. Do you think that’s a fair criticism? If so, what do you attribute this shortfall to?

Rachel Franklin: People feel what they feel, and I’m not going to criticise someone’s feeling about the game. Ultimately, it’s our job to try to make something fun that people want to play. So, when we put out the game, we truly believed we had created really fun really rich Sims game that was worthy of the title. We poured our effort into the sims and their personalities, making that robust, but also giving them a ton to do.

Rachel Franklin on The Sims 4's Get Together DLC
    I think a couple of things: one, we didn’t do a great job of exposing all of that gameplay to our players. That unfolding process that I was describing before – some things were too hard to get to. It didn’t make sense that you would have to go through such a difficult rigmarole to get to the juicy stuff. So we learned that just because we put it in there, doesn’t mean people are seeing it or finding it or appreciating it, and it’s our job as game makers to make sure the fun stuff is where it should be.

I think the second thing is: I did talk when we launched about this being a live service, about this being a foundation that we would continue to evolve and grow at a pretty rapid clip. And in a different way from The Sims 3, because in that game we took quite a long time to do it. With The Sims 4 we really wanted it to be something that felt like we were bringing fresh gameplay to quickly and regularly. But until we actually do what we say we’re gonna do, I think people just will be, ‘Yeah you’re just saying that. We either don’t believe you or don’t know what you mean by it’.

Another mention of this whole 'the Sims is too hard to get into for new players' thing which I - selfishly - think is a totally 🐸🐸🐸🐸 thing to worry about. Also how did she answer the question about the base game not having the content that previous base games had? Oh, right she didn't. Yet another Rachelism accusing fans of 'not getting it'. I'm not disappointed because it's hard to get the the 'juicy stuff', I'm disappointed because your idea of 'juicy' is underwhelming.

Maybe people wouldn't be in such a state of cynical disbelief and confusion if she actually gave us some info about what this 'live service' is intending to provide for us? *exaggerated eye roll* I like that she acknowledges that they've done a bad job of explaining themselves, and the game, and their direction, but then goes on to explain literally nothing.

Tell us about the new world of Windenburg.

Rachel Franklin: [Creating it] was pretty fun for us. We have such a global audience, so we wanted to make sure that feeling of relatability that you have for your sims, we have that in the places they live as well. We were inspired by European architecture, definitely that mix of old and new that you find in Europe that we don’t have in the States at all. We think that a Liberty Bell is ancient, you know? Then you come to Europe and there are these ruins right next to a modern office building. It’s such a cool juxtaposition that we wanted to make sure we captured that. So Windenburg is inspired by multiple cities around Europe, with that old/new mix in mind. And it’s beautiful, by the way!

Yeah I bet it was fun back when you guys were making Windenburg... for Olympus... before you realized how mad you were going to make everyone... aaah those were the days.

I’ve read about people using The Sims to rehearse things they need to do in their own lives. Is the design team mindful of this?

Rachel Franklin: When we’re designing, we think about possibility, without placing any judgement on events that play out. We get into these wonderful conversations – I do think every single day ‘This is a unique place to work!’ And people do use it to play out their lives. I’ve had stories from coming out, where people play that out and see what the response is with their sim family and then had the courage to do that in their real life. I’ve had people tell me that they’re socially awkward and didn’t really know how to approach people, so they’d do it in The Sims, and they learned some social graces from it. It’s really touching and meaningful, and I think we’re really lucky to work on a game that has such a deep connection with people’s lives.

Yes, people do use it to play out their lives. I used to use it to simulate raising a family, because that terrifies me in real life but I am nevertheless curious about it. So I'm really glad that I can totally do that in the Sims 4... oh right. I TOTALLY CAN'T. Still, I am glad the Sims 4 has taught me that in order to get past my social awkwardness I just wander up to a stranger smiling like a maniac and chat with them for four straight hours. Oh and if it doesn't go well I will literally die from embarrassment! Great life lesson. So realistic and deep.

She says she gets it, she says she loves it, she said she and the team have all these ideas and feel so lucky blah blah blah so why is it every single time anything comes out of her mouth I am left with the distinct impression that she does not get it AT ALL?

Rachel acts like TS4 is a miracle game.
    *extremely exaggerated eye roll*

She acts like the TS4 game is a golden child.
    Its all lies. I still can't believe that she says that she LISTENS to her fans.
    It doesn't count if u do nothing about it.

*Another extremely exaggerated eye roll*
    What a load of nonsense. Everyone in The Sims Studio knows that TS4 is based on the Olympus engine, content, etc. then quickly scrapped (years of work) when SimCity 2013 failed and we now have what is left of it.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    EA pretty much has everything they need to listen to customers.
    Social media sites, forums. Its not like they can't find out what we want.
    They just seem to avoid it because they have their own "Vision" and they crush everyone elses.
    Its not about them. Its about the game and its players. You can't just go ahead with your vision if u know that's not what 99.99999% of us wanted.
    I hate being angry at them all the time but I feel like I have 2 be because of the way they've treated and betrayed us long-time/ generational players.

And one of the things I'm most upset about is that Freeplay
    (The app by EA that I HATE THE MOST)
    GETS PRE-TEENS AND TODDLERS BEFORE US??!!!!!!

Wha-wha-what???

That's it
    tumblr_mbwup3iK5k1rt9nhao1_500.gif
    Yes exactly. That is what continues to boggle my mind. A mobile game, with worse graphics, a mobile game (wait did I say that already?! I'm too overwhelmed) that has a lot more content than TS4. Yeah it's been out a lot longer than TS4, is the team working on TS4 smaller than Freeplay?

Sigh. Again. It's based on the Olympus engine. Who knows what they'll be able to do.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    StaceyUK wrote: »
    I wonder what would have happened if Olympus actually came out?
    OMG I bet the forums would be even more filled with wars than it already is.

Chances are Olympus might have turned out ok as it would have gone through a natural development with out the change it went through and then players who don't want an online game wouldn't buy it anyway so they would have been mislead to thinking it would be a new Sims game and they would have been so disappointed

Calling the game The Sims 4 seems to be one of the biggest issues

I agree with this. If it had been a side game most people would have shrugged their shoulders and moved on.

Plus, if Olympus had been a side game, perhaps they could have continued to improve TS3. Like make a 64 bit version of the game! I can dream, right? ;)
    I mentioned this on another thread, but I'll say it here. ;) The Sims Studio could have continued their Olympus, Sims Online multiplayer type of game. They can gather a whole new consumer market (why not?) and still continue the legacy of The Sims in their fourth sequel.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    SimGuruDaniel is such a tease sometimes. Not to get people on the hype train, but just mentioning what he said here. I forgot how to link Twitter posts.

I can't find the tweet anymore, so it seems like it was deleted. If so, I'd rather see it as a confirmation that toddlers will not be patched in. I know EA by now and if they issue a gag order on their gurus it means they are planning on disapointing loyal family players again.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Though it probably was not more than a joke. A fan forced him to say it. And noted does not mean they do. I don't believe they can do anything right at the moment. Too much disapointment after the party EP...
    fdb6060e06ceab2af048bfaacca08160.png
    ac905efe5c62200a00283595e0dc3b3b.png
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    FayeliFayeli Posts: 54 Member
    For me - I love family play. I always have. And if EA doesn't want to include toddlers into the game, well it is THEIR choice. But I hate this "We can't talk about it" mentality. Are they working on it or not? If they don't want to add them in...fine, but let us know so we can base it on that. It feels shady and money grabby for them to keep saying "I hear you, but we can't talk about that. Maybe later." They don't even have to give a date: I just want to know it IS something they are actively working on. (Or if they are not, not to hold my breath)
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    It's pretty sad that the level of hope around here is so low that many of us have higher hopes of another developer making the game we want than of Maxis pulling things around :disappointed:

We are just scraping along at rock bottom here. I was looking at some of the things that are coming with the new EP and it made me feel sad that the few things that I find appealling are - once again - variations of base game content. I.e. the "pond tool". I actually like the idea of it, especially if it can be used for fishing and swimming, but I won't buy an EP for a pond tool!
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    Fayeli wrote: »
    For me - I love family play. I always have. And if EA doesn't want to include toddlers into the game, well it is THEIR choice. But I hate this "We can't talk about it" mentality. Are they working on it or not? If they don't want to add them in...fine, but let us know so we can base it on that. It feels shady and money grabby for them to keep saying "I hear you, but we can't talk about that. Maybe later." They don't even have to give a date: I just want to know it IS something they are actively working on. (Or if they are not, not to hold my breath)

I think, don't hold your breath :neutral:
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    Cesal95Cesal95 Posts: 298 Member
    It's pretty sad that the level of hope around here is so low that many of us have higher hopes of another developer making the game we want than of Maxis pulling things around :disappointed:

We are just scraping along at rock bottom here. I was looking at some of the things that are coming with the new EP and it made me feel sad that the few things that I find appealling are - once again - variations of base game content. I.e. the "pond tool". I actually like the idea of it, especially if it can be used for fishing and swimming, but I won't buy an EP for a pond tool!

And it isn't even a "pond tool" it is just a recolored pool! They always say "we built a strong foundation" but they can't even create a proper pond? :neutral: I think this has gone too far.
    PoroLoL_zpset4qfym5.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top