Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time Freezing (still happens for months but no fix)

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,735 Member
    lmusic wrote: »
    It must be my saves folder, and I've put that back and its freezing again straight away

There may be a corrupt save file in the saves folder.
    You may need to save your household and also save their home to your library and start a new save game file.

Do you have any backups of your game save files that you have made? if you do have, you could perhaps place them in your game.
  • Options
    lmusiclmusic Posts: 288 Member
    I might just do that, pick a few favourites and start again. At least I know its not the laptop's fault.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    I might just do that, pick a few favourites and start again. At least I know its not the laptop's fault.

Thank you :)

You're welcome :)
  • Options
    Circe344Circe344 Posts: 22 Member
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > Circe344 wrote: »
    >
    > My origin and game is installed on my E: drive. C: drive is only for programs and system. E: drive is another SSD on 111gb
    >
    >
    >
    > ok ill need to track down the thread but i not too long ago found an origin manager over at AHQ stating origin needs to be on the c drive this could be a factor in the games instability

So I removed Sims from my computer. Did a clean install, again. Opened a new game, no freezes, I stressed it out completely with a big house with lots of effects and a lot of ppl in it. Added my save game and opened the family that freeze the most and there it was. Freeze time.

Started an event and everytime a sim entered the small neigbourhood the game froze for about 30 sim minutes. Time goes on, sims do not.
    I will try to have origin on my C: drive next and see if that helps. I did have it on my C: drive before windows 10 though and still froze. Might help with the sims4 and origin crashes though.

The hunt for a solution continues. I do NOT want to start over with my sims 4. Been working on it far too long.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    @Circe344 ill do some research and do keep me updated i am also posting this that has a few suggestions to see if any help http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/825073/game-keeps-freezing

another idea is to try if you havent yet reset your files and also consider a clean boot http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/. launch the game and see if it works without other programs running if so start turning them back on to figure out which maybe conflicting

more on resetting:
    how to reset your sims 4 files, pull your my documents/electronic arts/sim 4 folder to the desktop and run a test game if this fixes the problem you can move back old files to the new but test for problems:

files to move back (but again test each move)
    saves - game save
    options.ini - game settings
    screenshots
    custom music
    mods folder - IMPORTANT: only return updated mods or mods deemed fine by modder to your game patch; outdated mods can corrupt save files and user feedback isnt enough proof that a mod isnt conflicting with new game coding
    tray folder - all your saved builds and sims

• Options
    Circe344 wrote: »
    > @ceejay402 said:
    >
    > My origin and game is installed on my E: drive. C: drive is only for programs and system. E: drive is another SSD on 111gb
    >
    >
    >
    > ok ill need to track down the thread but i not too long ago found an origin manager over at AHQ stating origin needs to be on the c drive this could be a factor in the games instability

So I removed Sims from my computer. Did a clean install, again. Opened a new game, no freezes, I stressed it out completely with a big house with lots of effects and a lot of ppl in it. Added my save game and opened the family that freeze the most and there it was. Freeze time.

Started an event and everytime a sim entered the small neigbourhood the game froze for about 30 sim minutes. Time goes on, sims do not.
    I will try to have origin on my C: drive next and see if that helps. I did have it on my C: drive before windows 10 though and still froze. Might help with the sims4 and origin crashes though.

The hunt for a solution continues. I do NOT want to start over with my sims 4. Been working on it far too long.

Hello @Circe344.
    Did you try lowering your graphics settings?

Also, sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Perhaps remove some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps

• Options
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > Circe344 ill do some research and do keep me updated i am also posting this that has a few suggestions to see if any help (linkthingie I can´t post back)
    >
    > another idea is to try if you havent yet reset your files and also consider a clean boot (linkthingie that I can´t post back). launch the game and see if it works without other programs running if so start turning them back on to figure out which maybe conflicting
    >
    > more on resetting:
    > how to reset your sims 4 files, pull your my documents/electronic arts/sim 4 folder to the desktop and run a test game if this fixes the problem you can move back old files to the new but test for problems:
    >
    > files to move back (but again test each move)
    > saves - game save
    > options.ini - game settings
    > screenshots
    > custom music
    > mods folder - IMPORTANT: only return updated mods or mods deemed fine by modder to your game patch; outdated mods can corrupt save files and user feedback isnt enough proof that a mod isnt conflicting with new game coding
    > tray folder - all your saved builds and sims

I have tried all this. It´s a little bit better with a totally clean install, although all my collections are reset to nothing, even on the family I had almost everything on, so not fun. How do I transfer my collections?
    I have no mods at all. No scripts, just clean everything. Not as bad a freeze as before, but still exists.
    Ive tried a clean boot aswell, no difference, still freezing those 30 ingame minutes.

> @rosemow said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello Circe344.
    > Did you try lowering your graphics settings?
    >
    > Also, sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Perhaps remove some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps

Ive tried playing on lowest. I have an entirely new family with not even a single item in their inventory and still it freezes. Not at all as much as before when it froze every irl minute, but a few times every sim day still. It´s a bit annoying and I really don´t think it´s on my end. Not with all this testing I´ve done. My family with a lot in their inventory doesn´t freeze half as much if any as the new family with nothing. The new family lives in a smaller house and with lesser things. My legacy family has everything the game can offer. I´ll try to figure out when the freezes occur, can be when a sim enters the "neighbourhood" as I´ve seen others complain about on other threads.
  • Options
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > Circe344 ill do some research and do keep me updated i am also posting this that has a few suggestions to see if any help (linkthingie I can´t post back)
    >
    > another idea is to try if you havent yet reset your files and also consider a clean boot (linkthingie that I can´t post back). launch the game and see if it works without other programs running if so start turning them back on to figure out which maybe conflicting
    >
    > more on resetting:
    > how to reset your sims 4 files, pull your my documents/electronic arts/sim 4 folder to the desktop and run a test game if this fixes the problem you can move back old files to the new but test for problems:
    >
    > files to move back (but again test each move)
    > saves - game save
    > options.ini - game settings
    > screenshots
    > custom music
    > mods folder - IMPORTANT: only return updated mods or mods deemed fine by modder to your game patch; outdated mods can corrupt save files and user feedback isnt enough proof that a mod isnt conflicting with new game coding
    > tray folder - all your saved builds and sims

I have tried all this. It´s a little bit better with a totally clean install, although all my collections are reset to nothing, even on the family I had almost everything on, so not fun. How do I transfer my collections?
    I have no mods at all. No scripts, just clean everything. Not as bad a freeze as before, but still exists.
    Ive tried a clean boot aswell, no difference, still freezing those 30 ingame minutes.

> @rosemow said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello Circe344.
    > Did you try lowering your graphics settings?
    >
    > Also, sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Perhaps remove some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps

Ive tried playing on lowest. I have an entirely new family with not even a single item in their inventory and still it freezes. Not at all as much as before when it froze every irl minute, but a few times every sim day still. It´s a bit annoying and I really don´t think it´s on my end. Not with all this testing I´ve done. My family with a lot in their inventory doesn´t freeze half as much if any as the new family with nothing. The new family lives in a smaller house and with lesser things. My legacy family has everything the game can offer. I´ll try to figure out when the freezes occur, can be when a sim enters the "neighbourhood" as I´ve seen others complain about on other threads.

Hello @Circe344.
    With the collections that your family does not now have, if they still have the items that they collected in their home, you can put them into their inventory and it will show up as part of their collection. For the items that they originally collected but do not now own or have in their home, you can either have them find/collect them again, or find them in debug mode using the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello Circe344.
    > With the collections that your family does not now have, if they still have the items that they collected in their home, you can put them into their inventory and it will show up as part of their collection. For the items that they originally collected but do not now own or have in their home, you can either have them find/collect them again, or find them in debug mode using the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat.

Ty I will try that. Freezings still occur, but not at all as often as before, and I can play without crashing most of the time.
    Hope this time will be better. Thumbs and toes for me please =)
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello Circe344.
    > With the collections that your family does not now have, if they still have the items that they collected in their home, you can put them into their inventory and it will show up as part of their collection. For the items that they originally collected but do not now own or have in their home, you can either have them find/collect them again, or find them in debug mode using the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat.

Ty I will try that. Freezings still occur, but not at all as often as before, and I can play without crashing most of the time.
    Hope this time will be better. Thumbs and toes for me please =)

Hello @Circe344 . It is good that you are having less freezing and crashing. I hope that your game issues continue to fix themselves up and improve.
  • Options
    lizeid87lizeid87 Posts: 446 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    I came on to post about the same problem, its driving me insane. I purchased a new laptop to help and its still terrible. Constant lagging.

Hello @Imusic.
    Remove any mods/cc that you have and see if that helps.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Lower your graphics settings and see if that helps.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Start a new game and test to see if the lagging issues are still there. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders, testing after replacing each one to see how the game is working.

Hey, so I did what you suggested about removing the old sims 4 file. When I started a new game I maxed out the settings and played for 10 mins, no lagging happened (usually for me it starts about 5 mins in) then I quit, removed the new "options" folder and replaced it with the old, played the game another 10 mins and no lagging happened, I quit then removed the new "saved" folder with the old and at 5 mins in, the lagging began. What does this mean then? Could the reason behind the lagging is all the families I've created in all the worlds except for the business world...?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    lizeid87 wrote: »
    I came on to post about the same problem, its driving me insane. I purchased a new laptop to help and its still terrible. Constant lagging.

Hello @Imusic.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Start a new game and test to see if the lagging issues are still there. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders, testing after replacing each one to see how the game is working.

Hey, so I did what you suggested about removing the old sims 4 file. When I started a new game I maxed out the settings and played for 10 mins, no lagging happened (usually for me it starts about 5 mins in) then I quit, removed the new "options" folder and replaced it with the old, played the game another 10 mins and no lagging happened, I quit then removed the new "saved" folder with the old and at 5 mins in, the lagging began. What does this mean then? Could the reason behind the lagging is all the families I've created in all the worlds except for the business world...?

Hello @lizeid87.
    Your save file may have got bloated and that is causing the issues.
    It may help to start a new save game file. You can go into your current save file and save your sims household to your library and save their home to your library. Then start a new game file, and place the sims and their home into the world. You will lose collections that they have done, as well as their inventories and their connections with other sims in the world but it may help the lagging issues.

If you have mods/cc remove them and see if that helps the lagging.

Also sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Perhaps remove some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

• Options
    edited August 2015

Hello @Imusic.

Hello @lizeid87.
    It may help to start a new save game file. You can go into your current save file and save your sims household to your library and save their home to your library. Then start a new game file, and place the sims and their home into the world. You will lose collections that they have done, as well as their inventories and their connections with other sims in the world but it may help the lagging issues.

Also sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Perhaps remove some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Sounds good to me! I don't mind having to start over, I just want to play with ease! lol thanks so much for your help, if I run into any problems, you shall hear from me again haha! :smiley:
  • Options

Hello @Imusic.

Hello @lizeid87.

Sounds good to me! I don't mind having to start over, I just want to play with ease! lol thanks so much for your help, if I run into any problems, you shall hear from me again haha! :smiley:

You're welcome :)
  • Options

Hello @Imusic.

Hello @lizeid87.

You're welcome :) [/quo

Do you mean the documents library?
  • Options

Hello @Imusic.

Hello @lizeid87.

Save your sims and their homes to your " My Library" section of the gallery.
  • Options
    Hello @lizeid87 . Go to household management on the current save and save your families to your My Library. Do this by clicking on household management at the top right when in world map view. Click on your sim family, then click on edit in CAS. It will bring you to CAS and then you can save that family.
    Do the same for any other households that you would like in your new game.

To save their home, go into build mode and press the save to gallery button.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,179 Member
    I hope you guys all get this fixed by starting a new save... I used to jump on every thread I saw about this issue (as I'm sure rosemow will be able to tell you) and tell people to report the bug, as it massively annoyed me. Now that I have a new, much better, pc (and playing a new save) I haven't run into the issue (yet). Nevertheless, I still know a few tricks from when it did happen on my old laptop and I like to help.

If the 'new save technique' doesn't work, my advice is to turn off sounds for mood changes (there's an option for that), it improved the situation for me. I think it may also help turning off more sounds/muting them, the game seems to freeze the moment it has to 'generate' multiple things, like sounds, movements, messages, at the same time. Also, go easy on the speed buttons, the faster you switch, the sooner the freeze will occur.

This is also in the official bug report thread:
    The studio is actively investigating this issue, thank you all for your detailed feedback.
    If you would like to assist further, the most helpful at this time would be the following:
    1. Record and upload a video on YouTube of this happening to you in your game. Note: Don't list the video, instead just paste a link to it here.
    2. What was your active Sim doing just when this happened? Were there any actions queued for them?
    3. What game speed were you running the game at right before the desync started occurring?

So it seem like they have at this point narrowed the possible causes down to game speed/actions. Which doesn't neccessarily mean general performance has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    I hope you guys all get this fixed by starting a new save... I used to jump on every thread I saw about this issue (as I'm sure rosemow will be able to tell you) and tell people to report the bug, as it massively annoyed me. Now that I have a new, much better, pc (and playing a new save) I haven't run into the issue (yet). Nevertheless, I still know a few tricks from when it did happen on my old laptop and I like to help.

If the 'new save technique' doesn't work, my advice is to turn off sounds for mood changes (there's an option for that), it improved the situation for me. I think it may also help turning off more sounds/muting them, the game seems to freeze the moment it has to 'generate' multiple things, like sounds, movements, messages, at the same time. Also, go easy on the speed buttons, the faster you switch, the sooner the freeze will occur.

This is also in the official bug report thread:
    The studio is actively investigating this issue, thank you all for your detailed feedback.
    If you would like to assist further, the most helpful at this time would be the following:
    1. Record and upload a video on YouTube of this happening to you in your game. Note: Don't list the video, instead just paste a link to it here.
    2. What was your active Sim doing just when this happened? Were there any actions queued for them?
    3. What game speed were you running the game at right before the desync started occurring?

So it seem like they have at this point narrowed the possible causes down to game speed/actions. Which doesn't neccessarily mean general performance has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Thankyou for your helpful advice @MDianaSanders. :)
  • Options

Hello @Imusic.

Hello @lizeid87.

Hello @Imusic.

Hello @lizeid87.

It worked! Been playing for hours and there's no more lagging! Haven't placed all my saved families yet since I'm sorta afraid it'll begin again and right now I just want to enjoy the game. Once again thanks for your help :)
  • Options

Hello @Imusic.

Hello @lizeid87.

Hello @Imusic.

Hello @lizeid87.

It worked! Been playing for hours and there's no more lagging! Haven't placed all my saved families yet since I'm sorta afraid it'll begin again and right now I just want to enjoy the game. Once again thanks for your help :)
    ]

I am glad that your game is going good now. :) Happy simming !