Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To notify people when they are about to comment on a old thread!!

Please take this into consideration its super annoying when people bring up threads that haven't been used in months.. :/
giphy_1.gif

Comments

• Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    agree that it is anoying... but I think it be hard.
    they would have to consider the lates post... not the op
    if they considered the op some threads, that are active but years old, would constantly give you that reminder... and that would be more anoying.
    the necro posts you can ignor or direct to an active thread.... or maybe they even relevant as it is about the same bug....
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    I for one have never read every thread on here, so I figure if someone has commented, and it was in an old thread, that they didn't see the older thread. Plus I am old and forget if I had read it before....lol
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2015
    pinkish wrote: »
    I for one have never read every thread on here, so I figure if someone has commented, and it was in an old thread, that they didn't see the older thread. Plus I am old and forget if I had read it before....lol

Likewise :) Besides, it makes a welcome change from sites that tell you to "read moar" (sic). after almost every new post!
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    edited July 2015
    One of the problems is that there seems to be two different camps, when it comes to "necro-ing" threads.

Camp A says "NEVER necro threads. It's annoying. If you have something to say, start a new thread! This topic should have been left at the bottom of the pile."

Camp B says "Why are you starting new threads when there are already threads on the same topic? Do a search and add to them!"

Personally, I fall somewhere in the middle. If the topic is still relevant AND if the necro-ing poster has something interesting to add, I don't have a problem with the necro. For example, let's say Poster X started a thread in September 2014 about the game's lack of [insert whatever hot-button topic you like]. Here is it, nearly a year later and [hot-button topic] still has not been addressed. Poster Y, who is also unhappy about [hot-button topic] digs up the original post and adds to it, providing updates and new information. Part of Poster Y's reasoning may be to illustrate that this is an on-going and still relevant issue.

Bumping, in and of itself, is not against forum rules. ((Hang on a sec and I'll get the quote.))
    The bit I was referring to was about spamming, not necro-ing. However, it does say "Use your bumps sparingly". Since there is no specific rule on necro-ing, I'd assume necro-ing is ok, within limits.

However, if the necro-ing poster is just adding "yeah" or "^^this" and simply bumping for no other reason, then I find it annoying. Especially "^^this" (seems so lazy to me). Of course, I don't like bumping on current threads either (and meaningless bumping of current threads is against forum rules).

There are many cases where I'd prefer to see a necro'd thread than 500 slightly different versions of that same thread. I suppose it's a matter of preference. At least the forum takes me to the first unread post in a thread. If I want to see how old it is, I can click on Page 1.

Edited to research forum rules.
  • Options
    One of the problems is that there seems to be two different camps, when it comes to "necro-ing" threads.

Camp A says "NEVER necro threads. It's annoying. If you have something to say, start a new thread! This topic should have been left at the bottom of the pile."

Camp B says "Why are you starting new threads when there are already threads on the same topic? Do a search and add to them!"

Personally, I fall somewhere in the middle. If the topic is still relevant AND if the necro-ing poster has something interesting to add, I don't have a problem with the necro. For example, let's say Poster X started a thread in September 2014 about the game's lack of [insert whatever hot-button topic you like]. Here is it, nearly a year later and [hot-button topic] still has not been addressed. Poster Y, who is also unhappy about [hot-button topic] digs up the original post and adds to it, providing updates and new information. Part of Poster Y's reasoning may be to illustrate that this is an on-going and still relevant issue.

Bumping, in and of itself, is not against forum rules. ((Hang on a sec and I'll get the quote.))
    The bit I was referring to was about spamming, not necro-ing. However, it does say "Use your bumps sparingly". Since there is no specific rule on necro-ing, I'd assume necro-ing is ok, within limits.

However, if the necro-ing poster is just adding "yeah" or "^^this" and simply bumping for no other reason, then I find it annoying. Especially "^^this" (seems so lazy to me). Of course, I don't like bumping on current threads either (and meaningless bumping of current threads is against forum rules).

There are many cases where I'd prefer to see a necro'd thread than 500 slightly different versions of that same thread. I suppose it's a matter of preference. At least the forum takes me to the first unread post in a thread. If I want to see how old it is, I can click on Page 1.

Edited to research forum rules.

I'm 100% with you

also if it is about a bug it can be a help to see all the posible seloutions... and the history of the bug in 1 thread.... it also help when you search and want help to a bug.
    in the last case I think it is ok to post a thank you for the help in an old thread, and say what worked for you.
    that serves 2 things, apriciation to does that helped... and awarnes (hopefully) that this bug is still around.

or a thread like my thank you thread... I don't post in it often any more... but it be strange to make new threads every other month... when I have a reason to use it.

also some in camp A seems to call it necro if it is barely a month since last post..... sometimes I seen a posted called necro when the last post before was only about a week old.... to me thats not necro.

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    I agree, I'd like this feature.
    But I think it might be a lil hard for them to do, sadly :(
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,288 Member
    I still believe that what EA should really do is put a lock on these older threads and archive them to an archive section so that no one can post on them and bump them back up unless the OP of that thread is around to unlock it themselves. And if the OP hasn't been back on the forums since that thread was made, well then a new thread could be made. I think that if a thread hasn't had anymore replies to it in 6 months to a year, then it should be locked and have an e-mail sent to the OP or have a message sent to them in the PM system to inform them of this so that if the OP is still on the forums, they can unlock it if the want it unlocked.
  • Options
    MaryJosMaryJos Posts: 4,935 Member
    Oh yes please !
  • Options
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    I still believe that what EA should really do is put a lock on these older threads and archive them to an archive section so that no one can post on them and bump them back up unless the OP of that thread is around to unlock it themselves. And if the OP hasn't been back on the forums since that thread was made, well then a new thread could be made. I think that if a thread hasn't had anymore replies to it in 6 months to a year, then it should be locked and have an e-mail sent to the OP or have a message sent to them in the PM system to inform them of this so that if the OP is still on the forums, they can unlock it if the want it unlocked.

I don't think that is a good idea
    some helpfull threads is better to bump with new questions.

so you don't have to make a new thread say I saw here (link) that you could fix this bug by doing XXX but I don't understand please explain.
    I rater see people post in that thread that they need help understanding.
    we don't allways need to op to use a thread.

I don't see many necro threads, is they a big problem in some parts of the forums?
    I might see 1 every 2 weeks or so that is bumped with no relevans... and it is easy enough to ignor.

I would have hated to comeback after my of time (do to illness I was of about 6-8 months) and find my thank you thread and others I started locked..... and knowing EA we likely get less than 24 hours to respond or the email get lost like the gift emails..... and then you have to talk to CS.....

or post on the birthday thread and be told that it is an old thread.... yes it is old, and yse there isn't a post every day... but it is active.

or need help, find a thread about that problem, and not be able to ask questions in that thread, just becouse the thread is ols and op gone, there might still be useful things... and maybe it is a rare problem.

• Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Seeing different forums, ony vBulletin has such option
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,288 Member
    There are other people who have asked the same thing about locking old threads so that they don't get bumped back up. And some of these threads that have asked for this have been deleted from the site for whatever reason. The one that I know that got deleted was one where someone had asked for old outdated posts to be deleted altogether, but others have told the OP that there are some helpful threads out there and that there are some where people have started to post their pictures/stories or their world creations on. They didn't have anything in them that went against the rules and there wasn't any flamewars taking place in them.

There was this one new member that kept bumping old Harry Potter threads that was anywhere from 1 to 6 years old posting a link on where to get HP CC. Now 1 0r 2 of the ones that was from last year was still being commented on. Most of the threads that was being bumped are threads that the OP haven't been on in years. Some of them were threads where the OP had posted pictures of their HP characters, so the bumper had asked to see more pictures when they were done. But when I clicked on the OP's user name, they haven't been on in years. So my guess is that they either don't play TS3 anymore or they just stopped coming to the forums as they may had made a blog somewhere else to keep their stories and pictures at instead of here.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited July 2015
    There are other people who have asked the same thing about locking old threads so that they don't get bumped back up. And some of these threads that have asked for this have been deleted from the site for whatever reason. The one that I know that got deleted was one where someone had asked for old outdated posts to be deleted altogether, but others have told the OP that there are some helpful threads out there and that there are some where people have started to post their pictures/stories or their world creations on. They didn't have anything in them that went against the rules and there wasn't any flamewars taking place in them.

There was this one new member that kept bumping old Harry Potter threads that was anywhere from 1 to 6 years old posting a link on where to get HP CC. Now 1 0r 2 of the ones that was from last year was still being commented on. Most of the threads that was being bumped are threads that the OP haven't been on in years. Some of them were threads where the OP had posted pictures of their HP characters, so the bumper had asked to see more pictures when they were done. But when I clicked on the OP's user name, they haven't been on in years. So my guess is that they either don't play TS3 anymore or they just stopped coming to the forums as they may had made a blog somewhere else to keep their stories and pictures at instead of here.

Is it really that big of a deal though? It could be helpful if someone decides to search for HP content today. Like others have said unless they are just bumping it to be annoying, I don't see a big deal especially if it adds to the discussion. It might not be helpful for the OP anymore but it could be helpful for others.

Apparently instead of debating about it, people decide to just lol my post instead. Okay.
    Post edited by sunshineandsimoleons on
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options

Is it really that big of a deal though? It could be helpful if someone decides to search for HP content today. Like others have said unless they are just bumping it to be annoying, I don't see a big deal especially if it adds to the discussion. It might not be helpful for the OP anymore but it could be helpful for others.

Apparently instead of debating about it, people decide to just lol my post instead. Okay.

I did see the Harry Potter bumping, but that looked more like a newbie that had search for that type of contents and was hopeing to get soem help.

I do not see the big problem