Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Legacy Challenge

I'm going to start my very first legacy challenge, and create a story to go along with it! I'm excited! Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    JDENNEHEYJDENNEHEY Posts: 71 Member
    I'd like to read it!
    Read my Sims 3 stories! sims3girlsstories.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    tiffrenee07tiffrenee07 Posts: 682 Member
    JDENNEHEY wrote: »
    I'd like to read it!

Thanks! I would love to have ppl read it, but I'm pretty new to blogging so I would need to figure out how to get it out there :)
  • Options
    Thanks! I would love to have ppl read it, but I'm pretty new to blogging so I would need to figure out how to get it out there :)

Right now, I'm using a website called Blogger to write my stories. It's quite easy to use. Here's a link: https://blogger.com/
  • Options
    JDENNEHEY wrote: »

Right now, I'm using a website called Blogger to write my stories. It's quite easy to use. Here's a link: https://blogger.com/

Thanks!
  • Options
    No problem!
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    A legacy in TS3 is harder at the start than in TS2. I recently started my first TS3 legacy and I realized that I only had enough money for a bed and a toilet.

For the first few days, you'll want to fulfill your sims' needs elsewhere. A diner for hunger (and fun), the gym for hygiene, and your coworkers for social. Apart from that, all you need is to be able to manage several sims. Maybe you can start small with a family of three or four when your founder has kids. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    A legacy in TS3 is harder at the start than in TS2. I recently started my first TS3 legacy and I realized that I only had enough money for a bed and a toilet.

For the first few days, you'll want to fulfill your sims' needs elsewhere. A diner for hunger (and fun), the gym for hygiene, and your coworkers for social. Apart from that, all you need is to be able to manage several sims. Maybe you can start small with a family of three or four when your founder has kids. :)

Yes, I am playing my legacy now and all she has is a little box with a sleeping bag, toilet, a stool, and a table. It is very challenging but it opens up other ways to play and forces me to play with different things I haven't tried before.
  • Options
    mfb426mfb426 Posts: 1,407 Member
    If you're interested in legacy blogging, I wrote a post about it on my legacy blog that I could link to (I don't mean to self promote, haha, sorry :) ).
    Are you playing by any rules or are you just trying to make it to ten generations? Whenever I start a legacy, I get frustrated because my Sim doesn't have any money and and there aren't any other Sims in the household (I'll end up moving them to a starter house or I tend to get them a pet or I'll have them make friends with someone, then move them in as their "roommate"), so I can never actually manage to follow the traditional rules, so I make up my own, haha, so I congratulate anyone who's patient enough to play by the rules.
    In order to keep myself motivated, I'll plan out what I want future generations to be like or I'll make goals for the generation that I'm currently playing.

Good luck + happy simming! :)
    output_npUBOD.gif
  • Options
    mfb426 wrote: »
    If you're interested in legacy blogging, I wrote a post about it on my legacy blog that I could link to (I don't mean to self promote, haha, sorry :) ).
    Are you playing by any rules or are you just trying to make it to ten generations? Whenever I start a legacy, I get frustrated because my Sim doesn't have any money and and there aren't any other Sims in the household (I'll end up moving them to a starter house or I tend to get them a pet or I'll have them make friends with someone, then move them in as their "roommate"), so I can never actually manage to follow the traditional rules, so I make up my own, haha, so I congratulate anyone who's patient enough to play by the rules.
    In order to keep myself motivated, I'll plan out what I want future generations to be like or I'll make goals for the generation that I'm currently playing.

Yes please I would love a link. :) I've been taking pictures and was thinking about putting them in a power point first to have an outline, but it's not going to well. I wish there was an in game way to write the stories.

I'm doing the traditional legacy and following those rules. It's kind of difficult; she hasn't even had a promotion yet. Lol
  • Options
    mfb426mfb426 Posts: 1,407 Member
    mfb426 wrote: »

Yes please I would love a link. :) I've been taking pictures and was thinking about putting them in a power point first to have an outline, but it's not going to well. I wish there was an in game way to write the stories.

I'm doing the traditional legacy and following those rules. It's kind of difficult; she hasn't even had a promotion yet. Lol

Here's the link: http://withloveasims3legacy.blogspot.com/2015/04/four-tips-for-first-time-legacy-blogger.html :)

I don't play the game in full screen mode so that way I can have a word document open and I can also write notes or parts of chapters when I'm inspired to, maybe that'll help?
    output_npUBOD.gif
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been playing a town legacy challenge where the town is played though your first family to move in gets an empty lot to live on and I send them to Garden House for their needs until they get a house built.I also play my game very heavily Modded because I can't switch families if I don't use Mods.I've got a signature linking to my home blog and the stories are linked on that blog.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    My tips:

- Have fun. Just because you want to write about it doesn't mean that you should think that you should play for anyone else. It's your game first.
    - Write in a style that works for you. Lots of legacies try to be funny, but it's not as fun if humor isn't your thing. It isn't mine, so I don't try to make it happen.
    - Don't be afraid to be different.
    - Remember to advertise your new story strongly but in the right places. ;)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    Don't try to get your sims to do too much in the first generation, nor do too much to the house, or even in the second and third generation really, because the fun and interest burns out once it starts to be too rich, or the sims get too advanced. One legacy I did with Sims 2 which went the furthest along, I made a rule for myself to only fully deck out one communal room, their bedroom and bathroom if they have their own, for each generation. Boundaries set you free.
    Also, you'll probably be happiest if you choose the heir that most looks like your founder because of all the effort you put in to making your founder sim look the way they do. Possibly favour the male heirs because even though you and your readers might be female, I have found that male sims as leading characters tend to be more popular.
    Adding to the boundaries, I try to keep a theme running especially with the names, narrows the choices making it easier. For example at the moment part of my current family have names of detectives or police or such because the founder's career was super spy and she was modeled off of Mariska Hargitay from SVU. So her son's name was Collumbo and her twin daughters were Marple and Agatha. Marple married a Langerak so I gave their son an aristocratic name, Fairbanks, starting with the same letter as the father, Federico. Agatha married Mortimer Goth, who I think is distinguished looking and she was nice looking so their daughters got named after silver screen sirens, Kelly and Raquel. In a past game I gave everyone in the family names from the Vikings TV show. In another one I gave everyone names of birds of prey and another one names of mountains and volcanoes. The birds of prey were cool because when there was twins I gave one twin the first half of a name and the other twin the second half. So a set of twin boys were named Peregrin and Falcon. Do you remember Brandi Broke from Sims 2? I gave her generations names of alcohol. The one she was pregnant with was Whiskey. His kids were Tia Maria and Sambucca .. I can't remember the names I gave the other one's but they were all alcohol.
    Anyway, the biggest tip I can give you is the first one, don't do too much too soon, you'll burn out and get bored.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    Don't try to get your sims to do too much in the first generation, nor do too much to the house, or even in the second and third generation really, because the fun and interest burns out once it starts to be too rich, or the sims get too advanced. One legacy I did with Sims 2 which went the furthest along, I made a rule for myself to only fully deck out one communal room, their bedroom and bathroom if they have their own, for each generation. Boundaries set you free.
    Also, you'll probably be happiest if you choose the heir that most looks like your founder because of all the effort you put in to making your founder sim look the way they do. Possibly favour the male heirs because even though you and your readers might be female, I have found that male sims as leading characters tend to be more popular.
    Adding to the boundaries, I try to keep a theme running especially with the names, narrows the choices making it easier. For example at the moment part of my current family have names of detectives or police or such because the founder's career was super spy and she was modeled off of Mariska Hargitay from SVU. So her son's name was Collumbo and her twin daughters were Marple and Agatha. Marple married a Langerak so I gave their son an aristocratic name, Fairbanks, starting with the same letter as the father, Federico. Agatha married Mortimer Goth, who I think is distinguished looking and she was nice looking so their daughters got named after silver screen sirens, Kelly and Raquel. In a past game I gave everyone in the family names from the Vikings TV show. In another one I gave everyone names of birds of prey and another one names of mountains and volcanoes. The birds of prey were cool because when there was twins I gave one twin the first half of a name and the other twin the second half. So a set of twin boys were named Peregrin and Falcon. Do you remember Brandi Broke from Sims 2? I gave her generations names of alcohol. The one she was pregnant with was Whiskey. His kids were Tia Maria and Sambucca .. I can't remember the names I gave the other one's but they were all alcohol.
    Anyway, the biggest tip I can give you is the first one, don't do too much too soon, you'll burn out and get bored.

I'm in week 6 of The Benitez Legacy, and let me tell you... It's challenging! Lol First, she had a little shack; we finally worked up to a little one bedroom place. But, trying to find a good mate has been hard! Especially since she is Socially Awkward! So many disappointments! But, I gotta say, it's really fun and making play in a totally different way.
  • Options
    RubiesandRainbowsRubiesandRainbows Posts: 197 Member
    You could try using the meeting and talking to coworkers things at work to try and meet people.

If you're playing in Riverview, Buck Broke. I always marry him when I try to do legacies in Riverview, just because it's so easy to get with him (he's flirty, so will probably do it autonomously).
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    You could try using the meeting and talking to coworkers things at work to try and meet people.

If you're playing in Riverview, Buck Broke. I always marry him when I try to do legacies in Riverview, just because it's so easy to get with him (he's flirty, so will probably do it autonomously).

She finally met someone, Jules MacDuff, but I cheated and changed his name to, Keith MacDuff. It took forever to get him to be her boyfriend and now they're married. Time for babies!
    Post edited by tiffrenee07 on
  • Options
    AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    edited July 2015
    here are my tips:

If you have Supernatural, don't buy a bed buy a rocking chair. Napping in it refreshes energy faster than any bed, rocking in it raises fun *and* energy, and only costs $350.

microwaves cost less than a refrigerator and offers "quick meals" that you don't have to pay for. Eating at a diner will slowly chip away at your savings, especially if your family gets bigger. You can always hang out at the park and grab plates from picnic baskets.

If you have enough lifetime happiness points, get "inappropriate but in a good way" and you won't have to worry about any of these things. You can find the sims with the nicest beds and showers and essentially live there free indefinitely. Eat their food, take showers in their baths, use their home items to build skills, etc. All you need to do to sleep the entire night is make friends with the homeowner and then ask to stay the night. If you have a career that requires daytime sleeping you don't even need to do that.

read all your skill books at the library where you'll read/learn them faster. Though reading them in a rocking chair also increases energy.

at lvl 5, any musician can "play for tips" on the subway and make tooooonnnss of money

If you have World Adventures, travel and collect relics and such every opportunity you get. You don't age and there are tons of money to be made collecting. Despite what most say, take two adults when going to WA if you can. Have one work on whatever skills their employment requires while the other pillages and plunders tombs. Inappropriate but in a good way works well here too.

If you don't feel like being rushed, choose fairies :) They also have the lovely ability to "bloom" if you're planning on gardening, which is a fantastic money maker as someone else said. With bloom and the grow station (if you have one) you can have a perfect garden in only a few short days.