Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

People using LOL ironically and incorretly

Comments

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Why should another button be removed? Really, are people just SO insecure that seeing a number next to a little LOL button drives them to the brink of upset?
    If that is seriously the case, then they should take a very large step back from the computer after pressing the red X in the corner of the browser.

Yes, apparently me getting upset at someone laughing in my face about me losing a loved one makes me insecure.
    Was it you who lost her pet? I am sorry for your loss. I know how you feel.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    In the end trolls are going to be trolls. If they want to waste their time that's up to them but all they're actually doing is giving the person more imaginary internet points. Don't see the point in it myself but hey, trolls are gonna' troll :)

IMHO this forum was better when we did have the dislike button, it meant you could dislike posts without having to get into a huge pointless argument about something but at some point that was ruined and like naughty children we had that ability taken away from us.

Either way I'd recommend just ignoring it or at the very least try to think of it like this: does it really matter what a complete stranger who might be living on the other side of the world really thinks about a comment you've made?

Nice post. :) I think the same, but sometimes, I suppose it's really hard when you actually take the advice. :#
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I need more LOL's, they're disproportionate to the number of Likes.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    Why should another button be removed? Really, are people just SO insecure that seeing a number next to a little LOL button drives them to the brink of upset?
    If that is seriously the case, then they should take a very large step back from the computer after pressing the red X in the corner of the browser.

Yes, apparently me getting upset at someone laughing in my face about me losing a loved one makes me insecure.

No, I lost my dad to brain cancer and it appears some people in this thread still think it's funny which is exactly what im talking about. Thank you.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    Oh my god, seriously? Abuse? Victims?
    Anyone I know who's had something terrible happen to them never wants to be thought of as a victim. Yet there are people here who seem to thrive on thinking or feeling like one, by some of the things they post.

All over this world, there are people in hardship. People who are homeless. Children who are starving or living in abusive situations. People who are tortured or live in fear every single moment of every single day, and yet people here are whining because there is a troll LOL'ing people's posts about Sims on a forum? And worse, likening it to abuse and victimisation.

Good God.
    I am totally done with this thread and at least half the people in it.

An example of someone who thinks she is better than people in this thread!!
    Whining about loling???

I have nothing else to say, specially about the "whining" thing. People know very well who is whining and who is not.
    Like that toddler thread you made a few days ago? That was whining.

I just loled you
    Thanks. :mrgreen:

I just gave you a lol too ( more points for you :D ) and yes I got the lols in that toddler thread too but I was making jokes in that one I believe :p
  • Options

No, I lost my dad to brain cancer and it appears some people in this thread still think it's funny which is exactly what im talking about. Thank you.

OMG this is terrible. How can people be so mean and emotionless.
    Very sorry for your loss
    may his soul rest in peace.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    xBob18 wrote: »
    People need to grow thicker skins. If an anonymous LOL upsets you then you should probably rethink why you're on here. This place is overwhelmed with trolls, you'll never find a forum without them so if you can't handle it then you should probably do yourself a favor and never post if it is that horrifying to you.

Why should the trolls win? I think we should be making the internet a welcoming place for everybody, including people who experience emotion more strongly than others, not just for trolls. Being able to shrug off abuse as if nothing happened should not be a requirement.

Did you...seriously just compare lol's to abuse..I'm sorry but seriously?!
    giphy.gif

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Anyone I know who's had something terrible happen to them never wants to be thought of as a victim. Yet there are people here who seem to thrive on thinking or feeling like one, by some of the things they post.

All over this world, there are people in hardship. People who are homeless. Children who are starving or living in abusive situations. People who are tortured or live in fear every single moment of every single day, and yet people here are whining because there is a troll LOL'ing people's posts about Sims on a forum? And worse, likening it to abuse and victimisation.

Good God.

An example of someone who thinks she is better than people in this thread!!
    Whining about loling???

I have nothing else to say, specially about the "whining" thing. People know very well who is whining and who is not.
    Like that toddler thread you made a few days ago? That was whining.

I just loled you
    Thanks. :mrgreen:

I just gave you a lol too ( more points for you :D ) and yes I got the lols in that toddler thread too but I was making jokes in that one I believe :p
    Thanks, and I was making jokes in that thread too. ;)
  • Options
    staravia81staravia81 Posts: 369 Member
    I like the idea @Marzipan had of having the option to disable the likes/lols when posting. That would eliminate the issue for threads about hardships and trauma.

In general though, I fall into the camp that doesn't want lols eliminated. Other than loling a pet or person being sick, injured, or dying, I don't see lols as the end of the world. The Sims forums are very tame compared to other online communities I've been a part of. If you think the lols here are bad, try other parts of the Internet.

Even this thread is "letting the trolls win" because they are seeing just how much power they have over other simmers in the forums. Taking away yet another form of expression due to some "possibly" misusing it is quite extreme.
    My builds!
    EA ID: staravia81
  • Options
    MarzipanMarzipan Posts: 60 Member
    > @brookesaywhatx said:
    > No, I lost my dad to brain cancer and it appears some people in this thread still think it's funny which is exactly what im talking about. Thank you.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I think it's beyond disgusting that someone is still loling this. =(
  • Options
    MunchyMunchy Posts: 513 Member
    I honestly think that we should take a step back and look at this objectively... :|
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2015
    Let me explain why I believe we would be better off without them.
    In fact I have seen people lol posts about losing a family member to cancer. Or the death of a pet, a post about depression. When people are using the buttons in this manner for no other reason than spite and to cause another individual pain they need to go.

Yeah, it's not like someone could actually comment a 'LOL'.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    That's terrible and to the person who lol brookesaywhatx shame on you. I am terribly sorry for your lost.
  • Options
    I got an lol on a post about my dad dying of cancer. I contacted moderation and had it removed...and now I know who did it. I agree it should be removed.

Thats sad sorry about your dad. I lost my father to cancer. Im sure someone will give me a lol for that too but the key is dont pay any attention. Whoever did that their goal is to get you upset. Thats what trolls do and their not worth your time.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,559 Member
    better yet i think they need to remove the lol button
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    People need to grow thicker skins. If an anonymous LOL upsets you then you should probably rethink why you're on here. This place is overwhelmed with trolls, you'll never find a forum without them so if you can't handle it then you should probably do yourself a favor and never post if it is that horrifying to you.

Why should the trolls win? I think we should be making the internet a welcoming place for everybody, including people who experience emotion more strongly than others, not just for trolls. Being able to shrug off abuse as if nothing happened should not be a requirement.
    The trolls only "win" if you let them. As in, giving them what they want: an emotional response (typically negative). Shrugging it off will eventually bore them so they'll either leave or find a new way to wreack havoc on those already troubled forums.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I got an lol on a post about my dad dying of cancer. I contacted moderation and had it removed...and now I know who did it. I agree it should be removed.

Thats sad sorry about your dad. I lost my father to cancer. Im sure someone will give me a lol for that too but the key is dont pay any attention. Whoever did that their goal is to get you upset. Thats what trolls do and their not worth your time.

Thank you. It's obvious who it is at least in this thread lol. Same person who wrote on my wall a few days ago crying because I deleted their comments lmao. And the other one has no lols on their comments yet everyone else does. Again very obvious lol
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member

I can tell you that I have a very very thick skin ;) but it will be more fun for me to make the trolls life more difficult. So instead of loling they have to comment and expose themselves as trolls or just do nothing. Removing the lol will kill them. And obviously they wont press the like button.
    You'd rather have them outright troll you than just laugh behind your back? That's weird but okay. I would not want to have my wall savaged by some troll, I'd much rather settle for the occasional LOL.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member

Good God.

I agree so much with this.. ron-moved.gif?w=500&h=185[img][/img]
    giphy.gif

• Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member

I'm so sorry to hear that, and I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad that moderation was able to help you out.

IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

I'm so sorry to hear that, and I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad that moderation was able to help you out.

Thank you.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options

I can tell you that I have a very very thick skin ;) but it will be more fun for me to make the trolls life more difficult. So instead of loling they have to comment and expose themselves as trolls or just do nothing. Removing the lol will kill them. And obviously they wont press the like button.
    You'd rather have them outright troll you than just laugh behind your back? That's weird but okay. I would not want to have my wall savaged by some troll, I'd much rather settle for the occasional LOL.

You can report abusers
    giphy.gif
  • Options

Thank you. It's obvious who it is at least in this thread lol. Same person who wrote on my wall a few days ago crying because I deleted their comments lmao. And the other one has no lols on their comments yet everyone else does. Again very obvious lol

Your welcome. I would ignore the LOL's but if they are writing on your wall , delete those posts report them. Better yet put them on your ignore list if they are that mean. Does the ignore list stop a person from posting on your wall? If not that is something EA should add.
  • Options
    itsugitsug Posts: 1,613 Member
    Im sorry to hear about your dad @brookesaywhatx also, it really sucks that people behave like plumheads about this.(yes, I did just write plum and feel free to translate that however you want).
    Why the lols and likes are anonymous on the other hand, that is beyond me.

I hope though for your own sake, that these forums aint the only place you went to for opening up.
    Best of wishes to you!
    Admin and on Support team of MC CmD @ Discord - https://discord.gg/Jcc8uRW
    MC CmD is available at https://deaderpool-mccc.com/
  • Options
    SimSaraSimSara Posts: 534 Member
    idk.. I think there are worse things in life than having people disagree with your views/posts.. like Ooo you aren't being politically correct with the "like" button.. like who cares? If someone doesn't like my post then they go eat a plum. Not only that, this is the internet, errybody be trolling and getting into useless diatribes.