Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

People using LOL ironically and incorretly

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    xBob18 wrote: »
    People need to grow thicker skins. If an anonymous LOL upsets you then you should probably rethink why you're on here. This place is overwhelmed with trolls, you'll never find a forum without them so if you can't handle it then you should probably do yourself a favor and never post if it is that horrifying to you.

Why should the trolls win? I think we should be making the internet a welcoming place for everybody, including people who experience emotion more strongly than others, not just for trolls. Being able to shrug off abuse as if nothing happened should not be a requirement.

Did you...seriously just compare lol's to abuse..I'm sorry but seriously?!

I don't think that pointing at people and laughing at them is okay. I do think that some of the laughing-at that has happened on this forum is abusive. I do think that making a safe space - including for people who have been abused in ways you would define as abuse - is important. Naming different kinds of abuse for what they are does not diminish more violent or in-person forms of abuse.

I am currently watching a friend crawl out from under a two-decade-long emotionally abusive marriage. Laughing at people can be a form of abuse. And do you know the person you're laughing at here? Do you know if you are exposing them to more of the same?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    People need to grow thicker skins. If an anonymous LOL upsets you then you should probably rethink why you're on here. This place is overwhelmed with trolls, you'll never find a forum without them so if you can't handle it then you should probably do yourself a favor and never post if it is that horrifying to you.

I can tell you that I have a very very thick skin ;) but it will be more fun for me to make the trolls life more difficult. So instead of loling they have to comment and expose themselves as trolls or just do nothing. Removing the lol will kill them. And obviously they wont press the like button.
    You'd rather have them outright troll you than just laugh behind your back? That's weird but okay. I would not want to have my wall savaged by some troll, I'd much rather settle for the occasional LOL.

You can report abusers
    Does it matter? They'll come back under a new alias in a couple of minutes anyway.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited June 2015
    The whole thicker-skin, ignore-them line bothers me. I don't think I'm a better person because it doesn't hurt me as much when someone laughs at me now as it did in September. I think I'm a lesser person for it.

edited for grammar - time for coffee, I guess
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    itsug wrote: »
    Im sorry to hear about your dad @brookesaywhatx also, it really sucks that people behave like plumheads about this.(yes, I did just write plum and feel free to translate that however you want).
    Why the lols and likes are anonymous on the other hand, that is beyond me.

I hope though for your own sake, that these forums aint the only place you went to for opening up.
    Best of wishes to you!

It used to be but most of the people on this forum have ill intent these days and literally seem to have nothing better to do than wake up and create new accounts to "troll" people lol. So I have a few other places to chat now.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

I can tell you that I have a very very thick skin ;) but it will be more fun for me to make the trolls life more difficult. So instead of loling they have to comment and expose themselves as trolls or just do nothing. Removing the lol will kill them. And obviously they wont press the like button.
    You'd rather have them outright troll you than just laugh behind your back? That's weird but okay. I would not want to have my wall savaged by some troll, I'd much rather settle for the occasional LOL.

You can report abusers
    Does it matter? They'll come back under a new alias in a couple of minutes anyway.

If someone does not own any paid games through origin they should not be permitted to sign up with an account. This would stop many from getting a new one
  • Options

You can report abusers

Then what's the point of ignoring them like you said if you even admit they will come back on another account to continue trolling?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options

You can report abusers

Then what's the point of ignoring them like you said if you even admit they will come back on another account to continue trolling?
    Just because they have their mind set on trolling you doesn't mean they are worth responding to. The only reason why they even continue to troll is because they know they're going to get a reaction.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    This is just ridiculous, life is to damnn short be getting upset over some lol's on a forum...sigh :(
    giphy.gif

• Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited June 2015
    This whole thread makes me want to LOL, literally. But no, I understand what the OP is saying and I have seen it done as well, it's just that, it doesn't really bother me. :) I kinda think it's funny. And if someone wants to boost your LOLs, let them! All the more badges or whatever for you.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    This is just ridiculous, life is to damnn short be getting upset over some lol's on a forum...sigh :(

Its one thing if a sim gets loled, i agree thats silly. But I posted that I was traumatized and attempted suicide after my dad passed and people LOL it. In fact I just got another lol on the post on my wall. People dont realize tiny things like that can make a situation 10x worse for some especially if someones life is on the line. If people want to laugh when someone is so upset they attempt to end their life thats on them.

Again, its funny how only ONE user has no lols on his post while everyone else does. Slick rick over here lol.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    MarzipanMarzipan Posts: 60 Member
    You say there was a poll back in December over whether or not to keep the LOLs? Well its been 6 months since then and I'm sure things have changed so maybe they should host another poll to see if the community has changed its mind. =)
  • Options

Its one thing if a sim gets loled, i agree thats silly. But I posted that I was traumatized and attempted suicide after my dad passed and people LOL it. In fact I just got another lol on the post on my wall. People dont realize tiny things like that can make a situation 10x worse for some especially if someones life is on the line. If people want to laugh when someone is so upset they attempt to end their life thats on them.

Again, its funny how only ONE user has no lols on his post while everyone else does. Slick rick over here lol.
    yep, those 6.2k LOLs were self-inflicted.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options

I meant on this thread. Funny how everyone is getting loled but you, even the posts about people talking about people attempting to take their life.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    ...regina-hallbrenda-meekspopcorn-gif.gif...
  • Options

I meant on this thread. Funny how everyone is getting loled but you, even the posts about people talking about people attempting to take their life.
    So, in short, you're accusing me of being the LOL troll?
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options

In this thread, yes.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    > @brookesaywhatx said:
    > In this thread, yes.

Oh please let's not start accusing people! =o
  • Options

In this thread, yes.
    Seriously? Your false accusations are ridiculous.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options

Like I said before, don't post your personally problems here. This is a forum is for the sims. Talk to people in real life such as another family member, a close friend, teacher, a suicide hotline.. someone who is physically there who can help you get through it. I would not let an lol be the finaly straw that pushes me to such length..
    giphy.gif

• Options
    masterjamie2masterjamie2 Posts: 30 Member
    Anything can be abused by anyone. That's the problem. I think more proactive moderation, instead of the hands-off approach that EA's been taking recently, might help a lot. Here's some ideas:

-What if you had to earn the right to use the buttons, like with most of the tools here? A certain point value might be sensible, like 20 or similar. Of course, it's not right to take away functions to restrict the harm that a minority does. Still, it is an option, and it has been used in the past.

-If someone is abusing the buttons, they could be limited on how much they can use it, like say...4 times a day, for example.

-Actually having moderators, instead of just SimGurus, might help a lot.

Since EA's current method is "take the path of least resistance", nothing has improved. They need a shock, and soon, before the forum disintergrates into those abandoned ones full of spam and trolling.
  • Options
    > @masterjamie2 said:
    > -If someone is abusing the buttons, they could be limited on how much they can use it, like say...4 times a day, for example.

This could work! =D
  • Options
    Astro wrote: »
    ...regina-hallbrenda-meekspopcorn-gif.gif...

now see i want to lol but this forums got me all messed up haha and your sig fits so well with it to XD
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited June 2015

Like I said before, don't post your personally problems here. This is a forum is for the sims. Talk to people in real life such as another family member, a close friend, teacher, a suicide hotline.. someone who is physically there who can help you get through it. I would not let an lol be the finaly straw that pushes me to such length..

I will post whatever I want here. I see plenty of people talking about things that have nothing to do with sims. I have friends here who help me get through things and I won't back down because a few people think its funny. I just wish the lol button was gone so I wouldn't have to deal with it. You hear about people all the time killing themselves from being relentlessly bullied online.

Thank you to moderation for again removing the inappropriate lols.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Removing a button on a game forum because someone might comment about something tragic and then get 'lol'ed' is silly. Quit legislating to the least common denominator.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2015
    Memina11! Welcome back!
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg