Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Official Newcrest Today - Remember to move Mods folder before patching

Comments

• Options
    BloudwedBloudwed Posts: 463 Member
    Any word on what time they are releasing the patch?

Not that I've seen but will probably be between 10-11am pacific time as they usually are...give or take a little.

Will that be a global release? As in we have to wait to 8 pm in Sweden for it? :-S

AMB.jpg
  • Options
    ScarletQueenKatScarletQueenKat Posts: 792 Member
    Bloudwed wrote: »
    Any word on what time they are releasing the patch?

Not that I've seen but will probably be between 10-11am pacific time as they usually are...give or take a little.

Will that be a global release? As in we have to wait to 8 pm in Sweden for it? :-S

Yep, itll release at the same moment for everyone.

🌹 Scarlet's Mod List - Includes ALL mods, links to their latest versions, last updated dates, sorting options, and more!
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Glad I spotted this thread. Thanks for the reminder. I'm just going to do it now since I'll most likely forget otherwise. :) I guess I'll play some Sims 2 tonight instead.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    Juliee101Juliee101 Posts: 479 Member
    I never do that, I just update and it runs fine. :blush:
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,878 Member
    Thanks for the reminder. :)
  • Options
    nattylonglegsnattylonglegs Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2015
    Hi guys so do you just move the mods folder onto your desktop and then once you've updated the game you put it back in its original place?
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Hi guys so do you just move the mods folder onto your desktop and then once you've updated the game you put it back in its original place?

Yep, that's it!

I'm pretty OCD... I'll *probably* go all nuts and just COPY my whole /Documents/Sims4 folder to my desktop before the update rolls out. And then REMOVE (move to desktop) the Mods folder from the still-in-place Sims4 setup, for the update to "chew on."

I've updated both ways, mods in/out. I can't *swear* it makes a difference, but with modders saying Python is uber-picky, and knowing I tend to favor script mods, which DO modify core game files, I try to remember to take them out first, to give Python a better chance of finding what it looks for.

I generally don't even bother to check out a modless version after an update. I take mods out, update, re-add mods, then try the game... If it all works fine, good... if not, THAT's when I start fiddling with testing.

I want what I want, so I drop it all back in at once (it worked fine BEFORE, right? LOL!), just to see if it sets off an explosion. If not, I've saved myself some time. Sometimes, that actually works! :smiley:

About CC, I do want to say something. After the Great Tuning Crash of 2015 (thanks @Deaderpool for the title! LOL) it WAS more CC than mods that got broken. Everything may have ( @luthienrising ?)... but that particular storm seemed worse for CC users (I'm not one, VERY light interest in cc, although I've had some in before).

It makes me cringe when people say cc doesn't cause issues like mods can... that is IMHO Not True!! I have WAY more issues when I try to use CC than I've ever had with mods, and my mod count has gone to over 70 before.

Items=LastExceptions for me, generally. (Even the EA 2015 calendar... irony, huh?)

Great thread idea! (bump) :wink:
  • Options
    RoomouseRoomouse Posts: 99 Member
    Thanks for the reminder to do this. I almost completely forgot. I'll be certain to make sure that I still have updates turned off too, and back up my saves folder as well. I don't care if it is a mod or CC that has an error or needs to be updated, I don't want it messing up my game completely. After Critical March update I just think it is better to be safe and test mods and CC a few at a time, saving my game for future play times. Thanks again.
  • Options
    KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    Months ago I forgot to do this and I slightly broke my game :D ... nothing major, but it kept crashing for no reason whatsoever after that, every minute.
    Never forget to take the Mods out!
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    I don't use Mods, so my Mods folder is empty. Do I still need to move the folder? I think someone once told me I did...
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm a rebel and keep my mods in. I don't mind testing it out for the creator. If something goes wrong then I know it's probably a mod.

CC has broken before in the past. It doesn't happen often and it's not something to really worry about. Mods however if left outdated can cause crashing, failure to launch, random errors, etc... This is why it's always smart to organize your mods folder using sub folders. It makes it easier to find the problem and remove it.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    olyanaesmeolyanaesme Posts: 338 Member
    I only have cc in my folder, no mods that alter the game, should i still do this?

and if i do, i simply just move the mods folder to the desktop, and when its done updating, put it back in?
    we way too young to get old <3
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    olyanaesme wrote: »
    I only have cc in my folder, no mods that alter the game, should i still do this?

and if i do, i simply just move the mods folder to the desktop, and when its done updating, put it back in?

Some CC might get broken and may couse some weird glitches happen in the game, but it doesn't happen very often, it's just a precaution. :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2015

and if i do, i simply just move the mods folder to the desktop, and when its done updating, put it back in?[/quote]

Edit: That's exactly how to do it. :smile:

I would... game's unstable/finicky enough already IMO (how many times have YOU repaired it? me... zillions!), NOT giving it any more (preventable) reasons to crash and burn is probably good Standard Operating Procedure.

Just my opinion.
  • Options

I would... game's unstable/finicky enough already IMO (how many times have YOU repaired it? me... zillions!), NOT giving it any more (preventable) reasons to crash and burn is probably good Standard Operating Procedure.

Just my opinion.

I have to repair it everytime there is a new update, I might have to re-install to fix it but...huh it's sooo much work and I'm laaazy. So I just repair it. It gives me an error that something is currupted or missing.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Just my opinion.

I have to repair it everytime there is a new update, I might have to re-install to fix it but...huh it's sooo much work and I'm laaazy. So I just repair it. It gives me an error that something is currupted or missing.

Try opening the game using the PLAY button from whatever the last piece is you purchased.

This trick DOES work on those "Game Data Incomplete" errors for SURE, I used to get them all the time, and I have not had ONE since I started using this newest-play-button style of starting my game. Not one.
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Just my opinion.

Try opening the game using the PLAY button from whatever the last piece is you purchased.

This trick DOES work on those "Game Data Incomplete" errors for SURE, I used to get them all the time, and I have not had ONE since I started using this newest-play-button style of starting my game. Not one.

Thank you, I'm going to try that today :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    I never move my mods folder before patching. >:)
    Never had any problem.

Me neither. Even though we shouldn't do it, I just can't help it, I love my mods so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 much!

please please stop doing this :) as a lover of mods since sims 2 please understand it is necessary to remove mods before updating to prevent any conflicts or corruption and then testing and looking up to see if mods need updating afterwards.

as its stands now outdated mods have been slowly corrupting game files to the point that an older save can become completely unplayable.

if you cant live without a particular mod simply hold off updating until creator confirms there is no need for updating or releases an update. also very important determining if something needs updating is at code level not performance of game.

no modder will ever suggest keeping mods in while updating.

• Options
    katakata Posts: 25 Member
    You guys are saying that we should remove the mods folder, update and move it back. So does that mean that the danger lies in updating while the mods are in place? And then you can put them back in and launch the game and see if anything is broken?

Thanks for the reminder though, I never remember to do this and can't even remember the last time I backed up my game... I should probably make a habit of it.
  • Options
    kata wrote: »
    You guys are saying that we should remove the mods folder, update and move it back. So does that mean that the danger lies in updating while the mods are in place? And then you can put them back in and launch the game and see if anything is broken?

Thanks for the reminder though, I never remember to do this and can't even remember the last time I backed up my game... I should probably make a habit of it.

Here's my understanding, and anybody with more of a clue than I have, feel free (please! seriously...) to correct me if I'm wrong. Especially if you use Script Mods (and Tuning mods too but *maybe* notsomuch)... they modify core game behavior.

It's a good possibility that with mods in, some parts of the game's code will not look to the update like it should and would, if your mods were not there affecting those game files. I think that's what causes the problem...

Imagine Python is looking in slot A for something, and X mod has moved that little bit of code over to peg C... game has a stroke. That's my technical description for mod vs game behavior. Make any sense?

Take out your mods before the update. Things will go smoother, after, if you do.

I used to be really bad to forget to do that, but not these days. It does seem to lead to less issues. I still have tons of issues with this game... just not THESE! LOL
  • Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Never had any problem.

Me neither. Even though we shouldn't do it, I just can't help it, I love my mods so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 much!

please please stop doing this :) as a lover of mods since sims 2 please understand it is necessary to remove mods before updating to prevent any conflicts or corruption and then testing and looking up to see if mods need updating afterwards.

as its stands now outdated mods have been slowly corrupting game files to the point that an older save can become completely unplayable.

if you cant live without a particular mod simply hold off updating until creator confirms there is no need for updating or releases an update. also very important determining if something needs updating is at code level not performance of game.

@ceejay402 do you have a link about the above bolded part?

Caught my eye because of my Sims2 background with gamemeltage you never saw till it was too late... happening in 4 also? And potentially caused by outdated mods? I had no idea, and I would *love* to read more about that!
  • Options
    Never had any problem.

Caught my eye because of my Sims2 background with gamemeltage you never saw till it was too late... happening in 4 also? And potentially caused by outdated mods? I had no idea, and I would *love* to read more about that!
    sorry no its just a working theory, crin and i have been troubleshooting issues and have come up with this theory based on this testing. i myself have one game save that simply will crash ever time i try to load a new lot. i have tested all possible crashing reasons well the ones i could think of it took about a week :) and i simply cant get this old save file to stop crashing. its simply completely corrupted and the only difference this file compared to my other old saves was i played this one the longest with a small outdated mod.

but there are other theories like once you start having game corruption like weird stuff happening this corruption can follow you to another game file if you dont restart the game. in fact i found restarting the game is a great way to stop corruption - another thing i didnt do often with this particular save file.

but i guess crin could have the theory posted on her blog.
  • Options
    Never had any problem.

sorry no its just a working theory, crin and i have been troubleshooting issues and have come up with this theory based on this testing. i myself have one game save that simply will crash ever time i try to load a new lot. i have tested all possible crashing reasons well the ones i could think of it took about a week :) and i simply cant get this old save file to stop crashing. its simply completely corrupted and the only difference this file compared to my other old saves was i played this one the longest with a small outdated mod.

but there are other theories like once you start having game corruption like weird stuff happening this corruption can follow you to another game file if you dont restart the game. in fact i found restarting the game is a great way to stop corruption - another thing i didnt do often with this particular save file.

I'm the worlds worst to spin off new save files... heck, new whole games! just because. So I might never have seen this kind of corruption... I'm VERY interested in whatever you find out. Keep me in the loop?

I'm not sure I buy the 2nd theory, about corruption following you from game to game. Because you have to be in one to spin off a new one, so it's already there, from the start, I would think. I'm not saying I disagree with you that restarting is helpful, I know it does fix things.

But, y'know... I'm techie-minded enough that I DO enjoy trying to help people play this game the way they want to. I've played mine about an hour (overall) last night, mostly testing things (Bad Fridge!! remember? LOL), but mostly I've been either here or on MTS. I've been up *since* last night.

I've evidently had more fun "teching" than playing (nobody forced me to do this instead of play, you know?)... but what about the folks that just want to PLAY THE GAME???

What about the players who are new to the whole franchise and don't know how Sims2 and Sims3 needed to be modded out the yinyang just to WORK?

A lot of us have been here for all that. We knew coming in we were in for having to do under the hood maintenance to keep the game running. I won't even say, "smoothly."

I won't speak for sims3, I didn't mod that game (long story), but I did buy it all within a pretty short time period. Not all the worlds/stuff, but the expansion packs, yeah.

I should have modded it.

I *did* mod 2 and I've modded 4 since day 1. I feel like a complete dweeb for waiting till 1.0.5 to install MC Command Center. I knew what I was in for when I bought this game, and EA has not surprised me. Disappointed, yes... (incest bug, broken careers... where's that fix?????? etc), but not surprised.

Although, I must say I AM surprised at how DELICATE this version is. Repair repair repair... all of it. Uninstall/reinstall. Origin and game. Got to be hands on in the files area too, delete localthumbcache for problems, move things out before updates... post update babysit to make sure nothing melts... etc.

REALLY?

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do this. But it BOTHERS me that I've paid for a game I'm apparently STILL helping "develop" one update/patch/MOD at a time.

But at least I can help others wade through some of the floodwater, because I have been there. That's why I try to do what I can, even though I'm no programmer.

I've said before, this game is not for the faint of heart. None of them have ever been Play/Quit with no maintenance in between, and I can honestly say, this latest go is the WORST version for that I've dealt with (much more maintaining than 2). But like I said, hopefully someone else can compare all 3.
  • Options
    Never had any problem.

I'm the worlds worst to spin off new save files... heck, new whole games! just because. So I might never have seen this kind of corruption... I'm VERY interested in whatever you find out. Keep me in the loop?

I'm not sure I buy the 2nd theory, about corruption following you from game to game. Because you have to be in one to spin off a new one, so it's already there, from the start, I would think. I'm not saying I disagree with you that restarting is helpful, I know it does fix things.

But, y'know... I'm techie-minded enough that I DO enjoy trying to help people play this game the way they want to. I've played mine about an hour (overall) last night, mostly testing things (Bad Fridge!! remember? LOL), but mostly I've been either here or on MTS. I've been up *since* last night.

I've evidently had more fun "teching" than playing (nobody forced me to do this instead of play, you know?)... but what about the folks that just want to PLAY THE GAME???

What about the players who are new to the whole franchise and don't know how Sims2 and Sims3 needed to be modded out the yinyang just to WORK?

A lot of us have been here for all that. We knew coming in we were in for having to do under the hood maintenance to keep the game running. I won't even say, "smoothly."

I won't speak for sims3, I didn't mod that game (long story), but I did buy it all within a pretty short time period. Not all the worlds/stuff, but the expansion packs, yeah.

I should have modded it.

I *did* mod 2 and I've modded 4 since day 1. I feel like a complete dweeb for waiting till 1.0.5 to install MC Command Center. I knew what I was in for when I bought this game, and EA has not surprised me. Disappointed, yes... (incest bug, broken careers... where's that fix?????? etc), but not surprised.

Although, I must say I AM surprised at how DELICATE this version is. Repair repair repair... all of it. Uninstall/reinstall. Origin and game. Got to be hands on in the files area too, delete localthumbcache for problems, move things out before updates... post update babysit to make sure nothing melts... etc.

REALLY?

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do this. But it BOTHERS me that I've paid for a game I'm apparently STILL helping "develop" one update/patch/MOD at a time.

But at least I can help others wade through some of the floodwater, because I have been there. That's why I try to do what I can, even though I'm no programmer.

I've said before, this game is not for the faint of heart. None of them have ever been Play/Quit with no maintenance in between, and I can honestly say, this latest go is the WORST version for that I've dealt with (much more maintaining than 2). But like I said, hopefully someone else can compare all 3.
    wow long nite :) im typically a new save gal as well but since rotational playing actually works like i want with 4 i have older saves than normal. but so agree if you keep starting new games you so could reduce certain issues just think of how corrupted legacies games can get.

as for corruption moving into another save the way i think of it depends on what is making the corruption like for example i can think of scenario like say something has made the game stop saving new info properly. if you move on to another save that malfunction could potentially continue

and for me modding for sim 2 was just to add game play for 3 it was a requirement and so far for 4 its only to tweak but i do want to add more
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited June 2015
    Today is the day!

58 minutes to go