Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 and Windows 10

Comments

• Options
    HunterInShadowHunterInShadow Posts: 302 Member
    edited June 2015
    igazor wrote: »
    I wonder how many trillions of "cards" it would take to load up TS3 and all EPs each time?

I think something akin to a large Zeppelin hangar would've been a suitable place to house all those cards, of course, ceran-wrapped by pallet and meticulously numbered and possibly even color-coded to make sure the order goes right. One card out of place and it wouldn't work, not to mention if any got damaged or lost. Downloading the total package of the base game and all the EPs/SPs digitally would be a really peanuts in comparison to the logistics of a cardstock warehouse of that magnitude.
    "Never tempt the Predator into a Bloodlust." - HunterInShadow
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I suppose playing the game on a teletype, with a huge roll of paper onto which each screen must be printed, as opposed to a terminal display wouldn't be very efficient either.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MalwareHunterMalwareHunter Posts: 38 Member
    I am a major tech geek--no doubt about it. I follow a lot of tech news as well and thought I'd share this:
    I read an article today where you can now run the Windows 10 upgrade assistant that runs in the taskbar (little white flag) and check your compatibility with hardware and software (I think). I am gonna have to try this on my main Windows 8.1 Pro machine and see what kind of results it gives me.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    I put a post up about Windows 10 a long time ago there have also been others a while back. The major reason why Microsoft skipped version 9.0 is because windows 95 98 based on the Windows 3.1 kernel with a new shell and desktop that we see and know today, was actually sposed to be Windows 4.5 and 4.8, this is your Windows 95 and 98 computers, this also corresponds to the work group or network release of Windows NT 4.0 and 5.0. The NT stands for when they were separate Novell Translation protocol, which gave Windows work groups restrictions and used NetBIOS mostly with the local LAN to be used on a token style network, this network is not obsolete with the creation of Windows Domain Servers. Some sloppy programing in older programs referenced Windows 4 by its name Windows 95 and Windows 98 instead of using the version number, so to allow for compatibility of some older programs Microsoft skipped the version 9.0 series.

The only real problem with running games in a new operating system is option one did the kernel change? Yes Windows 95 98 and ME was based off the old home user kernel when at the time a typical family only had one computer so didn't need the +NT part of the Kernal so games where created based on just that kernel. Windows XP was the starting point some families started having more than one computers and when home networks started coming about Microsoft had to add the NT Kernel to the Windows Kernel, how I know is home versions of windows XP had default directory of C:/Windows, and commercial versions of the same OS had C:/WinNT as the default directory, this was a breaking point for a lot of the games when the kernel changes from 95, 98 and ME to the NT addiction caused a lot of games to fail because it was based on a kernel and default path that where changed slightly with the progress. Another problem with games is the drivers, when a new OS is released most of the drivers are in Beta and a lot of games and programing in DirectX complains about beta drivers, this is because they are all secure drivers waiting for a bunch of people from Microsoft to digitally sign on those drivers that will force a update to kick the beta out of safe mode.
    Direct X was a library created by a bunch of programmers and installed into most OS so that way any programs that needed to find the computers device could call on the library to find the path, this helped programers because they didn't have to include paths of common libraries and devices now they just have to point to the direct X path and the drivers and libraries could be found for that program.

Windows 10 kernel did not change so after the develop and testing stage Windows 10 will most likely be able to play The Sims 3, 4 and whatever version is up. If the game is based on the Windows+NT kernel than it will run. Games tend to fail test versions of the software because its loaded with the very minimal requirements.

Sorry this is long, but I hope this helps explain stuff better.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,063 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I really want to know as well, because we're planning to buy a new computer and it will no doubt have Windows 10.

Except if you really are a gammer and instead buy it, request one custom made (shops than know about pc and where you can buy parts of it), then you can select the OS than you want and is cheaper
  • Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    Besides XP, Windows 7 was the best, in my opinion. I miss it.
  • Options
    MalwareHunterMalwareHunter Posts: 38 Member
    I ran the compatibility checker on my Windows 8.1 Pro system today like I mentioned I would in one of my replies in this thread. No surprise that there are some things on my system that currently aren't compatible with Windows 10--the graphics/video adapter and sound adapter. Though, I expect in the coming months that kind of stuff will most likely have been taken care of in terms of compatibility. As far as apps that were incompatible, surprisingly, there were none!
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    I've been running all my games on Win 10 for the last couple of months, and they all work fine. Including Sims 3. I've been doing a "progressive" run where I install a new expansion pack every 3 or 4 weeks, so I don't have all of them up yet, but haven't had any problems so far.

While the UI still isn't as good as Win 7, it's much less horrible than Win 8.
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,668 Member
    Well this thread has made my mind up - I won't be upgrading!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,929 Member
    I suppose playing the game on a teletype, with a huge roll of paper onto which each screen must be printed, as opposed to a terminal display wouldn't be very efficient either.

My school didn't have computers. But I did get to use a PET at college for a while. I then moved on and learned to program in BASIC.

My first home computer was a Commadore 64 and my sons (who were at primary school) had to type games into it from a magazine. Then debug their games before they could play. I eventually purchased a casette tape so they could save their games on it to save a bit of time typing. Much later we upgraded to a cd drive and then a Commadore Amiga.
  • Options
    Karritz wrote: »
    My school didn't have computers. But I did get to use a PET at college for a while. I then moved on and learned to program in BASIC.

My first home computer was a Commadore 64 and my sons (who were at primary school) had to type games into it from a magazine. Then debug their games before they could play. I eventually purchased a casette tape so they could save their games on it to save a bit of time typing. Much later we upgraded to a cd drive and then a Commadore Amiga.
    I think my high school was lucky because the head of the math department knew people who donated time and stuff so we could even have that old mainframe and have it maintained. My best friend at the time got tired of typing in program code at home every time and got one of those cassette tape interface gizmos. It was awesomely cool that he even had a computer at home.

We didn't have a computer in the house, or rather my parents' house, until I was in grad school. My friend is now a Linux engineer who is fluent in more programming languages than most people know ever existed. And I play TS3.

Wonder if there is a connection to be made there... :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,929 Member
    edited June 2015
    Karritz wrote: »

I think my high school was lucky because the head of the math department knew people who donated time and stuff so we could even have that old mainframe and have it maintained. My best friend at the time got tired of typing in program code at home every time and got one of those cassette tape interface gizmos. It was awesomely cool that he even had a computer at home.

We didn't have a computer in the house, or rather my parents' house, until I was in grad school. My friend is now a Linux engineer who is fluent in more programming languages than most people know ever existed. And I play TS3.

Wonder if there is a connection to be made there... :/

Neither of my son's went into computing.

I try to play Sims instead of programming computers.
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Awww... Windows 10? And I only just upgraded my computer to this one:

Sinclair_ZX81_Setup_PhotoManipped.jpg
  • Options
    @elanorbreton - You might get better reception on that setup if you replace its analog antenna in the back there with a digital one. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    crazyguy2204crazyguy2204 Posts: 4 New Member
    They're skipping 9, because 8 sucked so bad that they wanted to get as far away from it as possible... also because 8.1 was really big and so that was pretty much 9.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got Windows 7 and intend to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate which will still run my games and offer XP Mode for older games.I don't want Windows 10 and even hide the icon.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    GodsAndMonstersGodsAndMonsters Posts: 3 New Member
    Has anyone had any issue with windows 10? Not sure if I want to go through with it if I can't play the sims.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Awww... Windows 10? And I only just upgraded my computer to this one:

Sinclair_ZX81_Setup_PhotoManipped.jpg
    Where's that lol button when you need one haha.

Edit: when I wrote this the lol button had briefly disappeared for mysterious reasons :#
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sasskitten02Sasskitten02 Posts: 101 Member
    One theory out there is that they skipped "Win 9" because in certain contexts it looks too much like "Win 95" and "Win 98."

Edit: And the first one who says, "Oh yeah, my grandparents used to talk about those!" gets smacked in the shins with igazor's walking stick. ;)

*Hides.* My sister (who is just 9 years older then me.) used to have 95/98 and I used to play on it. (I just turned 34)

But anyways I don't plan at all to upgrade.
  • Options
    Sasskitten02Sasskitten02 Posts: 101 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I really want to know as well, because we're planning to buy a new computer and it will no doubt have Windows 10.
    But if I can't play Sims 3 on it I won't need a computer.
    smi123_zpsibpbnfzn.png

You can always buy the new computer then buy whatever window program you want on disc.

Now if only there was a way to delete the upgrade icon instead of having to hide it all the time.
  • Options
    TrycTryc Posts: 123 Member

The technical preview convinced me that my mother needs to upgrade (even if I have to buy her a new computer) as soon as it is available for mass consumption. She's the only one in my circle running Vista and since I'm the one that gets the phone call when she gets stuck... 10 will be easier for her.

For myself, I will just continue dual booting 7 and 10 for as long as needed.
  • Options
    SpiderCrowWolfSpiderCrowWolf Posts: 1,380 Member
    It will play on Windows 10. I have a couple of friends who got the free upgrade and it plays well.
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    I only remember windows 7 coming out. I never knew windows 8 came out.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    br560 wrote: »
    I only remember windows 7 coming out. I never knew windows 8 came out.
    Maybe it didn't and it was all a bad dream? >:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    DeelunaDeeluna Posts: 33 Member
    To those that do not plan to upgrade. I can understand where you are coming from. but the reason Microsoft is trying to get everyone on the same version is because having so many versions to deal with causes problems for developers. Imagine how much trouble a Developer who is making a game for Windows has to go through to make sure that their game will work on every version of the OS, not to mention whether someone has taken all the updates or not. So gamer A could have Windows 8, and gamer B has Windows 8.1 but the game will only work on windows 8.1. So Gamer A gets mad because the game doesn't work and starts a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on the internet over the game not working properly. which hurts sales for the game. If everyone has Windows 10 and leaves the windows update alone, then every developer can assume that if the user is on windows it's going to be the same as everyone else. It's a unification of the community thing. That is why Microsoft is trying to get everyone to climb aboard as quickly as possible.

The only reason I could see that Sims 3 wouldn't work is that the graphics drivers are not up to date. Who knows for sure though.

However me being from the Dark side of the OS wars (Linux User typically) I can understand, but I wonder what this new OS does in the background that I won't like. Also I hope that they make it so that the updates don't just start immediately when they come available as I could be using the computer at the time. I'd rather be informed and allowed to review before a download starts if I am using it.