Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was anything REALLY accomplished in yesterday's ask a guru session ?

Comments

• Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member

I'm never going to be thrilled about what they did with ts4 and they've lost my preorder dollars for life. I think the way they've handled ts4 is going to be remembered the way the Sim City fiasco was - and they've now closed that studio down. But look at how well Cities: Skylines is doing. In a lot of ways, the failure of Sim City paved the way for Skylines to do extraordinarily well. So maybe EA just isn't into simulators anymore. Maybe they're not into PC anymore.

The truth is I'll never feel right about giving EA my money again. I'd be much more enthused about another company making a life sim. But it will happen, because there's a market. All I can do is speculate along with everyone else... might not be totally in line with your comment but I'm imagining :3

This is what I always hoped for, for EA to have some competition on the series. Then maybe they would be more inclined to add things we want, instead of the "well, people will spend money no matter what so we can just half bake it" attitude they seem to have now.

Yeah, competition would help - so would passion. What I'm really loving about Skylines is that they are in touch with their community, they make it clear with every patch that the new content is based on what the community wants, and they have had some great ideas and put in some really nice new stuff. They've tweaked the AI, and taken advice for some other minor changes that make things more intuitive. And the whole time, they're making it feel very much like a community effort, which feels really different from ... um... here... where the gurus literally are barred from saying anything but "we hear you" or "we are exploring that."

And the thing is, EA definitely has the resources to make it happen. I'll give you another of my job stories, my very first job ever was at a bead store, it was very swanky and sold a lot of shiny stuff. Well my interest in beads and jewelry design didn't stop when I left that job for greener pastures, I soon found their competition hidden away in a little place up the road. They sold a lot of the same stuff, but in this store, it wasn't locked up behind a counter. They didn't get all uptight about people (zomg) touching things. The atmosphere was very relaxed.

This is how I feel about the attitude we are getting from EA - EA has the high end, the money, the people, but it treats its customers with dismissal and suspicion, instead of making them feel important and welcome. It makes me want to run away right into the arms of their competition. And the sad thing is, they don't have to act like that. They would probably make even more money, in fact - how long has EA been a joke in the gaming community? "EA: Ruin Everything" has been tossed around as long as I can remember, and their DRM and anti-piracy measures are infamous. A lot ot gamers I know refuse to buy EA products on principle and have for years. And this is EA's own fault. It's the image they've built for themselves, and it has led to several "worst company of the year" awards, which surprised nobody.

So yes, they're still making money, but I think the competition would have the edge in a new life simulator because of their attitude. They have the power to fix it. They could change tactics easily, and start making amends, and I think most of us would be grateful. But if they don't, and the competition takes over, and the next life sim game is made by a competitor and the Sims studio is shut down... well, don't say we didn't try to warn you, EA.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    meeoun wrote: »
    I think a lot were asking irrelevant questions and making irrelevant post. Also that fighting happened and what not. :O
    This makes me wonder, sometimes, that if I could participate in Ask a Guru...
    ... I could save the day.
    B)
    Sorry, horrible joke. :p

I don't even bother participating in those sessions anymore. The previous session deleted all my suggestions and questions.

I'm appalled by the amount of ridiculous and friutless questions in those sessions that are asked. I swear they must make fake account to ask questions concerning "what their favorite color is" or "the amount of time it takes to make a stuff pack with 10 items".. They must do this to keep that thread going. Otherwise those sessions would be a spam of " ...we hear you.." or "..sorry, we can't talk about future content right now.."

If you aren't one of their favorites they will pretty much ignore you. I do agree how many absurd things were said in that thread is ridiculous though.

No, it's not about favorites it's about the content of you question. Any question that questions the game's quality or lack thereof will be either deleted or ignored.

Well its funny how they seem to only answer people's questions who they have a good relationship with and/or is known to praise the game.
    It's not rocket science. I will say it again.
    I think a lot were asking irrelevant questions and making irrelevant post. Also that fighting happened and what not. :O
    B)

I don't even bother participating in those sessions anymore. The previous session deleted all my suggestions and questions.

I'm appalled by the amount of ridiculous and friutless questions in those sessions that are asked. I swear they must make fake account to ask questions concerning "what their favorite color is" or "the amount of time it takes to make a stuff pack with 10 items".. They must do this to keep that thread going. Otherwise those sessions would be a spam of " ...we hear you.." or "..sorry, we can't talk about future content right now.."

If you aren't one of their favorites they will pretty much ignore you. I do agree how many absurd things were said in that thread is ridiculous though.

No, it's not about favorites it's about the content of you question. Any question that questions the game's quality or lack thereof will be either deleted or ignored.

I don't understand why your posts seem to have a defensive tone, lol. I am just speaking the truth, I'm not the only one who has known this for a while now. It doesn't take much to see they favor some people over others. Some get banned for doing virtually nothing, and others are allowed to troll and troll and only get a warning. That thread last night is perfect proof of that.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    B)

Well its funny how they seem to only answer people's questions who they have a good relationship with and/or is known to praise the game.
    It's not rocket science. I will say it again.
    B)

I don't understand why your posts seem to have a defensive tone, lol. I am just speaking the truth, I'm not the only one who has known this for a while now. It doesn't take much to see they favor some people over others. Some get banned for doing virtually nothing, and others are allowed to troll and troll and only get a warning. That thread last night is perfect proof of that.
    I'm talking about the ask guru sessions not the moderation workings of this forum.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I don't think I am a favorite and have no reason to believe I'm in any way shape or form I might be. While I don't post things like this game plums and you plum I have been pretty vocal. Sometimes I ask questions and get evasive, frivolous or superficial answers and sometimes I get ignored. I think it might have something to do with the question, who is responding and the mood of the day.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    pezhead7pezhead7 Posts: 838 Member
    I don't think I am a favorite and have no reason to believe I'm in any way shape or form I might be. While I don't post things like this game plums and you plum I have been pretty vocal. Sometimes I ask questions and get evasive, frivolous or superficial answers and sometimes I get ignored. I think it might have something to do with the question, who is responding and the mood of the day.

The mood probably wasn't ideal for a Q&A given the timing of the no toddlers kotaku article.
  • Options
    pezhead7 wrote: »

The mood probably wasn't ideal for a Q&A given the timing of the no toddlers kotaku article.

And the subject being a stuff pack that a lot of people were not pleased about didn't help either. I do feel bad that the gurus are stuck, and the higher ups need to fix it. EA is good at leaks. Maybe someone could leak information about who we need to appeal to in order to get this wall of silence taken down.
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member

And the subject being a stuff pack that a lot of people were not pleased about didn't help either. I do feel bad that the gurus are stuck, and the higher ups need to fix it. EA is good at leaks. Maybe someone could leak information about who we need to appeal to in order to get this wall of silence taken down.

That would be nice, but I believe @Sparkfairy1 has contacted EA directly and they didn't even bother to answer. And if the culture is so toxic at EA that no one can or will talk to us, who's going to risk losing their job by leaking info?
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options

Yes ! Please !
    Who do we write to ?

I'll write 2 letters a week like its the shawshank redemption !

• Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,862 Member

That would be nice, but I believe @Sparkfairy1 has contacted EA directly and they didn't even bother to answer. And if the culture is so toxic at EA that no one can or will talk to us, who's going to risk losing their job by leaking info?

It's true. If Cinebar and Sparkfairys efforts have not prevailed in any way shape or form what more can the rest of us do? Not to devalue the rest of us (the community, myself included) but the two of them have put in a ton of work and trying to appeal to EA.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

I have, many, many times. I am always calm, kind and reasonable and I always give credit to the Gurus that go out of their way to be kind but have their hands tied. Every single time they ignore it.

I have tried calling, writing, emailing-any addresses or numbers I could get a hold of. I have spent hours researching who to contact and where to do so too.
  • Options
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

It's true. If Cinebar and Sparkfairys efforts have not prevailed in any way shape or form what more can the rest of us do? Not to devalue the rest of us (the community, myself included) but the two of them have put in a ton of work and trying to appeal to EA.

Thank you :)

I mean it doesn't harm to get many letters and contacts and should anyone want them to try I am more than willing to pass them on.
  • Options
    I've done my share as well but everyone has a breaking point, and wishful thinking is what keeps me coming back here every day :/
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member

I have, many, many times. I am always calm, kind and reasonable and I always give credit to the Gurus that go out of their way to be kind but have their hands tied. Every single time they ignore it.

I have tried calling, writing, emailing-any addresses or numbers I could get a hold of. I have spent hours researching who to contact and where to do so too.
    I applaud you for going out of your way to try and get something from them! :)
  • Options
    Astro wrote: »

I applaud you for going out of your way to try and get something from them! :)

Thank you. Since the family thread took off and I read some of the most heartbreaking posts from people despite the state of the rest of the forum I have felt a heavy sense of responsibility to the community. I figure if EA won't show them they care I have to show someone does.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited May 2015
    I think a lot of the problem is the actual topic of the chat. The last one was on Get to Work. Now it had only just come out. I could have asked a lot more intelligent questions about a pack I have played for a while than one I hadn't yet seen.

One of the best Guru chats I have read was the technical one which is a truly excellent read. This chat was about base game mechanics and the game had been played quite a bit when that chat was done. The thread is a text book example of a brilliant forum thread that lasts for 30 pages. Sadly, entropy sets in at the end over the next 20.

I have really, really tried to a link to it, but can;t :confounded: So please if anyone has it bookmarked, please post it. I think it is very relevant to this discussion for comparison purposes.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I think a lot of the problem is the actual topic of the chat. The last one was on Get to Work. Now it had only just come out. I could have asked a lot more intelligent questions about a pack I have played for a while than one I hadn't yet seen.

One of the best Guru chats I have read was the technical one which is a truly excellent read. This chat was about base game mechanics and the game had been played quite a bit when that chat was done. The thread is a text book example of a brilliant forum thread that lasts for 30 pages. Sadly, entropy sets in at the end over the next 20.

I have really, really tried to a link to it, but can;t :confounded: So please if anyone has it bookmarked, please post it. I think it is very relevant to this discussion for comparison purposes.
    The thing about yesterday's chat was that it was about a stuff pack with no extra gameplay, there's nothing to talk about. And then they start only replying to their favorites and yeah. That chat was a mess.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

The thing about yesterday's chat was that it was about a stuff pack with no extra gameplay, there's nothing to talk about. And then they start only replying to their favorites and yeah. That chat was a mess.

If the topic was enforced to be about existing content and the relationships between them, then I think it could once again be a chat to look forward to. Fair play to 'em if they want to keep future stuff under wraps. It is their project and also seems to be the main thing that causes derailment.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member

Like my question was on-topic (and it gathered 4 likes) yet they completely ignored it. (as usual)
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options

Early on in September there was an EA/Maxis silence thread. On there @SimGuruLyndsay actually came on and spoke to those with issues. That is an example of being communicative with your audience. Not to just ignore those who are inconvenient and don't say what you want them to. I know *for a while* that thread gave me hope. Then we saw nothing like it again-they announced the few patches and zipped their lips.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/790584/ea-maxis-silence
    for reference.
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited May 2015
    I don't think the chats are very helpful unless you want to know the history behind how they made it or what they love about what they designed. Kind of fandom stuff which is not interesting to me.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    Where is yesterday's chat thread? It's not in the normal Ask a Guru section. I remember reading it but didn't get to finish.

Top of the discussion forums

• Options
    Where is yesterday's chat thread? It's not in the normal Ask a Guru section. I remember reading it but didn't get to finish.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/833375/ask-a-guru-tuesday-may-19-11am-noon-pst-closed/p1

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/833375/ask-a-guru-tuesday-may-19-11am-noon-pst-closed/p1

Lol! Thanks! I found it right after I asked the question. Sorry! :D
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options

1 upper

;)
  • Options

1 upper

;)

o:)

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top