Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Good ways to display your collections ?

LoneOnyxStardustLoneOnyxStardust Posts: 397 Member
So i was thinking of creating a collection room in the basement of my lot after discovering half the gems and elements don't fit on the shelves i was a little stumped as to how to best display my collections and still have the room look good.

How do you display your collections? Have you any tips?
Check out my gallery Origin ID LoneOnyxStardust

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,996 Member
    I put the frogs and insects on the ground, the anime on shelves, crystals on tables floors, counters etc, the small crystals, metals etc. can go on shelves. Fossils go on the floor , counters, and tables.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,651 Member
    If you have GTW, they have this glass tank things you can put stuff in but I takes up some space and I think you can only put 3 items in it. Not too sure though. I didn't really play around with it that much but if I'm not wrong, I could only put 3 items. Maybe you could put coffee tables near the walls.
    Or you could use the move objects cheat to 'place' them on shelves by pressing '9' to move them up.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    @Orangemittens has created some great mods for this. Empty bookcases that you can put stuff in, ability to put stuff on top of fridges, wall cabinets etc. Brilliant stuff. Just look for original posts by orangemittens in this thread:

http://www.sims4studio.com/board/15/custom-content-links

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    edited May 2015
    @Orangemittens has created some great mods for this. Empty bookcases that you can put stuff in, ability to put stuff on top of fridges, wall cabinets etc. Brilliant stuff. Just look for original posts by orangemittens in this thread:

http://www.sims4studio.com/board/15/custom-content-links

Thanks for the link. Until now, every lot in my game has one of their entire basement levels dedicated to collections. They really do take up an awful lot of room.

And to the OP, if you don't want to add mods, I find that large (3 tiles) dining tables are best for the items with big footprints, like frogs and fossils as you can place 5 items on them. Fishing bowl and insects however only fit 4, while you can place 3 of them on the 2 tile tables, so they work just as well.

For metals and crystals I often use the console table with a shelf under. They hold 3 big ones on top, and 4 small ones on the lower shelf. Then I hang the space prints on the walls over them.
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    If you have GTW, they have this glass tank things you can put stuff in but I takes up some space and I think you can only put 3 items in it. Not too sure though. I didn't really play around with it that much but if I'm not wrong, I could only put 3 items. Maybe you could put coffee tables near the walls.
    Or you could use the move objects cheat to 'place' them on shelves by pressing '9' to move them up.

ahh thank you the glass tank proved very useful with MOO on i could often place more than 3 items in a tank

so i made a mock up room with most collectibles ( i like to put the pictures and microscope slides and eggs elsewhere) I also added in the gnomes because why not ^^

05_11_15_1_20__pm_by_lone_onyx_stardust-d8sz384.png
    05_11_15_1_21__pm_2_by_lone_onyx_stardust-d8sz38v.png
    05_11_15_1_20__pm_3_by_lone_onyx_stardust-d8sz38g.png

• Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    I am usually totally anti-gnome, but I like what you did with them there :)
  • Options
    TriX0099 wrote: »
    I am usually totally anti-gnome, but I like what you did with them there :)

I'm not fond of them either I mean I wouldent have them sitting around the garden. I think they look kind of at home beside the doll things

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @LoneOnyxStardust
    That room looks great thank you for the great ideas :smiley:
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

ahh thank you the glass tank proved very useful with MOO on i could often place more than 3 items in a tank

so i made a mock up room with most collectibles ( i like to put the pictures and microscope slides and eggs elsewhere) I also added in the gnomes because why not ^^

That is cool. I think my scientist Grandma will use the other half of her lower basement like this.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited May 2015
    I use a combination of wall shelves and the industrial shelves from GTW. It really helps with saving space. Objects on the floor move with the display unit if/when you want to move it too.

CollectionDisplays.jpg
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    You can also stack tables using the MOO cheat.
    mkykpl.png
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    Shaobun wrote: »
    mkykpl.png

ooh great tip i never thought of that ! :)

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Shaobun wrote: »
    mkykpl.png

That is sweet.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,380 Member
    @Shaobun, what a great idea, thanks! :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited May 2015
    ooh great tip i never thought of that ! :)
    That is sweet.
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    @Shaobun, what a great idea, thanks! :)

Thank you! :D<3

Just a bit of extra info for people: I have things displayed behind windows in that image, the problem with that is you can't actually view them because they're in a separate room. But stacking tables works nicely because the slots are still the same whether the table is on the ground or not. The tables in @LoneOnyxStardust room (which is amazing btw!) would probably look better than the ones I used because the legs are so straight and have a constant width.
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    I really like the windows. I never tell my Sims to go "view" a lot of their stuff anyway, plus that setup feels like a museum display and would make great decor!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I put the frogs and insects on the ground, the anime on shelves, crystals on tables floors, counters etc, the small crystals, metals etc. can go on shelves. Fossils go on the floor , counters, and tables.

You mean "My Sims" trophies, it's not anime it's characters from an old kid style sims game.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I have a crystal room in my basement. I'm using move objects and creating a clash of all of the diamonds, emeralds, ruby, sapphire, and all the rest.

05_11_15_8_27__am_by_mphattyboi-d8szyo1.png

as for the rest of the collectables, I kept some of the mysims trophies like the pizza chef is in my kitchen Buddy is on my nightstand. The wood working Dragon Sculpture I made is on my Mantle. my easter eggs are in the household inventory.

I haven't been to space yet nor have I been frog hunting, and I don't like fishing.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    Wow, these are excellent! I don't usually bother displaying but maybe a handful of collected items. I need to remember to get one of those element racks. I usually will just scatter them around the house as decor (like a space rock table centerpiece) especially if they give off handy auras.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm gonna have to bookmark this thread everyone is so creative, I collect on all my sims eventually so thank you :smiley:
    @kremesch73 I love this kind of rustic look.. this is for my ghosts maybe..
    @Shaobun This would fit with my scientists the best, more modern look
    @masongamer Great for basement, that would be a good basement for the Goths.. could be really fancy.

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    therealghostrider135therealghostrider135 Posts: 23 New Member
    edited May 2015
    I like how some of you have things on display, I also went down the basement route myself, Well for the most part I did,

I have the easter eggs on display above the TV in the living room, Elements on the board in the basement lab along with the microscope prints and lab equipment.

And in the lower basement the My Sims trophies on shelves, Insects in display cases, Not got the rest of my partial collections done as yet but getting there slowly, I will get some screens later if the forum allows me to post them.

Also bookmarked this thread so I can use it to copy ideas, I mean for reference ;)
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member

Are those bookshelves in the game? I've never seen them.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited May 2015
    Oh I love what you all have done with the collectibles. :)
    Excellent way to decorate the science facility.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options

Are those bookshelves in the game? I've never seen them.

The ones with the frogs? No they're cc

• Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I don't have a specific room to store my collectibles but i tried to place them in a way to make them look nice in the house.
    13_5_2015_22_51.png
    13_5_2015_22_52.png
    13_5_2015_22_52_2.png

Even though gnomes aren't collectibles i bought every single one of them and made a garden for them:
    13_5_2015_22_54.png
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top