Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One story house or two?

I have noticed that while I LOVE two story houses, if I have a household of four or more, it is a bit of a challenge to play in a house that is multiple stories. For one thing, all my sims seem to have amnesia when it comes to where they are supposed to sleep. And bathrooms upstairs always seem to (maybe just in my mind) need to be repaired with more frequency.

Does anyone that does play with multiple levels have any tips or tricks? I have spent my sim time this weekend reconstructing houses to be sprawling ranches!!!

Comments

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I build a lot of large houses, even when I start out to build a small one, I rarely use them. Right now I have a 5 story build going on with 2 of those levels below ground. If I use it, it will only have 1 sim living there.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    I try to stick to one story unless I have to have 2. I recently tried having a basement bedroom and it was pretty interesting, maybe try that?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    WhimsyMoonWhimsyMoon Posts: 120 Member
    I have seen some pretty amazing basement builds....I will have to give it a try. I love building but haven't done a basement yet for some reason!
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    Stick to single story bungalows.

When toddlers do arrive it is going to be a nightmare to get them up and down stairs.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I am currently working on a large, 5 bedroom home, all on one floor. I've heard so many people say the same thing, that a multi floor home is tricky with a large family, so I've decided to give it a go.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Mine are normally 2 Story houses I've only built a a Mansion, A cathedral and a Apartment that was 3 or more. Never really built less than 2... oh wait that's not true, My family mausoleum and vault/crypt underneath my cemetery
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I usually play a large family(6-8 Sims at all times) and have basement, main floor, and second floor in my houses. I haven't had any problems with it in my game play.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2015
    I start in bungalows and I find I work okay with two-story houses if they aren't also big and on a big lot. But the more "square footage" I have, the more I feel like I'm playing "Find the object to interact with" and the less I feel like I'm playing "Sims". Fortunately, getting Sims to be Rich and Successful and Have All The Things tends not to a gameplay focus for me. But now and then when I put a family in the "right" house I'm reminded that the right house for my Sims isn't always the right house for my Simming.

That said, I haven't found that I have more bugs when I'm playing larger houses.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    copygirl29copygirl29 Posts: 68 Member
    I'm right with you. Two stories are just so much effort. I've tried them out, but I find I spend most of my time on one floor and they're a lot easier to handle. It's almost impossible to stay on one floor once you've got kids though and I suspect once there's more outdoor content, I'll need to move up to take full advantage.

Mind you, I used to love having swimming pools on the top floor with all round windows, so you could see the swimmers. I'll have to give that a go in TS4.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I hate large one story houses in this game. I don't like moving my camera all willy-nilly. I usually create a compact home with essentials on the first floor and bedrooms on the second. Large skilling items will go on the third floor or in the basement. It's easier to page up and down than move the camera all over the place (for me). I do build bigger houses, too, but I generally like starter sized houses.

This is one of my industrial builds so not the best example, but it shows how I like to use open spaces so that small homes aren't so cramped. I think this is built on a 20x15 lot.

04-13-15_4-53%C2%A0PM-2.png

04-13-15_4-55%C2%A0PM-3.png

04-13-15_4-55%C2%A0PM.png

04-13-15_4-54%C2%A0PM.png

04-13-15_4-56%C2%A0PM.png
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    It's quite cute!
    Reminds me of what I used to call "lofts".
    And making it so much harder to not go for the CC again!
    (did so much CC for Sims 2 & 3, that I was taking a break, & keeping it updated drives me insane...but..I am reeaaallly starting to miss it!) :s
  • Options
    It's quite cute!
    Reminds me of what I used to call "lofts".
    And making it so much harder to not go for the CC again!
    (did so much CC for Sims 2 & 3, that I was taking a break, & keeping it updated drives me insane...but..I am reeaaallly starting to miss it!) :s

Thanks! Since I originally built this, I got rid of 80% of my CC. I seriously hate updating for patches. But there are certain things I just can't live without...like that round table. We seriously need more round tables in this game. LOL
  • Options
    This was supposed to be a small house, I got a little carried away (there is also a 2 story basement).

05-03-15_3-27nbspPM_zps92ltruby.png
  • Options
    This is one of my favorite family builds. A large, open living space on the first floor, and three bedrooms upstairs.
    04-23-15_9-12nbspPM_zpshfttzhy6.png
    But since I usually only play single Sims, I like to make wee little homes like this one.
    04-29-15_6-40nbspPM_zpsrtvncerv.png
  • Options
    Piperbird1 wrote: »
    This is one of my favorite family builds. A large, open living space on the first floor, and three bedrooms upstairs.
    04-23-15_9-12nbspPM_zpshfttzhy6.png
    But since I usually only play single Sims, I like to make wee little homes like this one.
    04-29-15_6-40nbspPM_zpsrtvncerv.png

Is that a pool behind the house? Is this on the gallery? Both questions apply to the first house.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Is that a pool behind the house? Is this on the gallery? Both questions apply to the first house.

Yes, to both. Here is a pic of the back of the house. It is on the gallery under Piperbird. I've actually since disconnected the pool from the house in my game. There was just something about it I did not really like.
    04-23-15_9-13nbspPM_zpsrbupasp0.png

Edit for terrible spelling.
  • Options
    OMGoodness!All you that shared pictures!!! Now I want to go build. Beautiful houses! Thanks so much for sharing!
    If I try another multi-level....I like the idea of certain floors having a specific use.
  • Options
    MurglemurgleMurglemurgle Posts: 245 Member
    Hi Whimsy,

Umm let me think.. first of all, know the layout of your house, so you have a better chance to know where they might be hiding. I do prefer compact houses, enough room for them to walk but not that much that it would be wasted (while you're scrolling around).

If you have mom and dad and they enjoy their time together (wink wink) try to have their room with no tv or pc or something that might attract the kids.. at the very least have the best tv/pc, wathever in a special room. I have a house with a family room, my kid usually can work at the pc, watch tv, do his homework, listen to the radio or play with the toys I have in that room, yet I also have a playroom, where I have the doll house, their violin and their desk where they can draw. I have the violin in that special room so the sound doesn't bother anyone else :P and they don't get stressed because they are still learning to play.

Always have full bathrooms, that way you know that if someone needs a wash, they can do it in any of the bathrooms. I usually have one bathroom at the entrance of the house, but I also have another one at the back of the house (near the pool) and 2 bathrooms upstairs.

Have your cook make group meals for the whole family, so your kids will always have good food to eat by breakfast or dinner time.

You can have a nice and formal dining room, but a small dining area in the kitchen helps you to manage the time (they will eat faster and waste less time going back and forth from the dining room to the kitchen). If you downloaded a house from the gallery take your time exploring it, again, know the layout, bring your sims and see how they interact with the house: are they washing the dishes in the sink of the kitchen or are they going to the bathroom upstairs? that might mean that the sink of the bathroom is directly over the dining area and makes the sims think that the sink at the bathroom is the closest (so you would have to move that sink or the bathroom or the kitchen's sink). Maybe you find out that the house looks so pretty but you have to move the mouse a lot around the house and that can be tiresome. If you build the house -this can be tricky- but try to have the same orientation thru all the house.

Tell your sims where you want them to sleep, at least my families always pick the same bed that I told them to use, but it seems that napping is a different thing.. so I just not let them nap, or direct them to nap at their bed (I'm always vigilant x.x )

Errr... sorry for the awful english >.< ..
  • Options
    Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I hate large one story houses in this game. I don't like moving my camera all willy-nilly. I usually create a compact home with essentials on the first floor and bedrooms on the second. Large skilling items will go on the third floor or in the basement. It's easier to page up and down than move the camera all over the place (for me). I do build bigger houses, too, but I generally like starter sized houses.

This is one of my industrial builds so not the best example, but it shows how I like to use open spaces so that small homes aren't so cramped. I think this is built on a 20x15 lot.

04-13-15_4-53%C2%A0PM-2.png

I agree. I hate moving my camera everywhere. I actually find it harder to navigate.

And I love that exterior. Great job!
  • Options
    Hi Whimsy,

Umm let me think.. first of all, know the layout of your house, so you have a better chance to know where they might be hiding. I do prefer compact houses, enough room for them to walk but not that much that it would be wasted (while you're scrolling around).

If you have mom and dad and they enjoy their time together (wink wink) try to have their room with no tv or pc or something that might attract the kids.. at the very least have the best tv/pc, wathever in a special room. I have a house with a family room, my kid usually can work at the pc, watch tv, do his homework, listen to the radio or play with the toys I have in that room, yet I also have a playroom, where I have the doll house, their violin and their desk where they can draw. I have the violin in that special room so the sound doesn't bother anyone else :P and they don't get stressed because they are still learning to play.

Always have full bathrooms, that way you know that if someone needs a wash, they can do it in any of the bathrooms. I usually have one bathroom at the entrance of the house, but I also have another one at the back of the house (near the pool) and 2 bathrooms upstairs.

Have your cook make group meals for the whole family, so your kids will always have good food to eat by breakfast or dinner time.

You can have a nice and formal dining room, but a small dining area in the kitchen helps you to manage the time (they will eat faster and waste less time going back and forth from the dining room to the kitchen). If you downloaded a house from the gallery take your time exploring it, again, know the layout, bring your sims and see how they interact with the house: are they washing the dishes in the sink of the kitchen or are they going to the bathroom upstairs? that might mean that the sink of the bathroom is directly over the dining area and makes the sims think that the sink at the bathroom is the closest (so you would have to move that sink or the bathroom or the kitchen's sink). Maybe you find out that the house looks so pretty but you have to move the mouse a lot around the house and that can be tiresome. If you build the house -this can be tricky- but try to have the same orientation thru all the house.

Tell your sims where you want them to sleep, at least my families always pick the same bed that I told them to use, but it seems that napping is a different thing.. so I just not let them nap, or direct them to nap at their bed (I'm always vigilant x.x )

First off, you English is wonderful! Thank you so much for the ideas! Especially the cooking ahead, complete bathrooms, no TV in mom and dad's room. For some reason, when mom and dad are having "time together" at least one child will need a book, or to watch the TV in THAT room!
    Napping does seem to cause all the problems as far as everyone ending up in the wrong bed. Thank you again!
  • Options
    WhimsyMoon wrote: »
    Hi Whimsy,

First off, you English is wonderful! Thank you so much for the ideas! Especially the cooking ahead, complete bathrooms, no TV in mom and dad's room. For some reason, when mom and dad are having "time together" at least one child will need a book, or to watch the TV in THAT room!
    Napping does seem to cause all the problems as far as everyone ending up in the wrong bed. Thank you again!

As a builder, I always want to make the houses as aesthetically pleasing as possible. However, in The Sims, practicality rules. I keep bedrooms bare. A bed, desk, and dresser is pretty much it. In the sims, you generally don't want to give them alone time, you want them to be social and spend time with friends and family. So even though it can be drab, I put a lot of emphasis on the common rooms and very little on the rooms that are basically just for sleeping. @Murglemurgle has some great tips.

Thanks! @Shadecaster101
  • Options
    ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    WhimsyMoon wrote: »
    I have noticed that while I LOVE two story houses, if I have a household of four or more, it is a bit of a challenge to play in a house that is multiple stories. For one thing, all my sims seem to have amnesia when it comes to where they are supposed to sleep. And bathrooms upstairs always seem to (maybe just in my mind) need to be repaired with more frequency.

Does anyone that does play with multiple levels have any tips or tricks? I have spent my sim time this weekend reconstructing houses to be sprawling ranches!!!

Most of the time I play single story homes as well, have since I started playing Sims. Flipping back and forth from bottom floor to next floor bugs me and it is a pain to keep track of who and what is going on where.
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    I have made and downloaded some small 2 story homes, I put a basement in one. Only use a med size two story for my family of 8. I like to use both 1 story and 2 story homes.though... Sometimes a 2 story Leaves more room in the yard for plants and things.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've been working on adding basements to some of the houses I've downloaded and some of the EA originals. I wish I'd saved my Streamlet Single rebuild; not only did I manage to squeeze in stairs for the basement, I expanded the kitchen and added a master bedroom (I moved the family out when they had their first child). I was able to add stairs to Parkshore though (the two-story house next door to the Goths) and I also not only added a basement to the house where the Spencer-Lewis-Kim family lived (I moved them into a different house because I wanted theirs for my scientist and his family), I also added stairs to the roof where I was able to put the family telescope and rocket ship. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    musicislife416musicislife416 Posts: 159 Member
    I find it easier with a ranch style house. I can see all of my sims that way.
    tumblr_ngzxfipZLO1u3tigco1_500.gif