Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GTW Careers seriously boring and repetitive

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    cherrypop wrote: »
    You can decline to "join" and you won't have to follow your sim to work

One of the job requirements in the medical career is to chat with 2 patients . How do I do that without following my sim to work?

On the day you don't follow your Sim to work, there are no job requirements. You get average performance.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Phuxion wrote: »
    > @Mstybl95 said:
    > You do know that they develop the first and second EPs while the base game is still in development, right?

No, they don't.

They might be doing pre-production work on the first expansion while the base game is in development, but they aren't doing any hard coding, scripting, R&D testing, etc, while the base game is in development. Their scripters, programmers, etc, would all be working on the base game.

During certification is when development on things like DLC and EPs begin.

>That they were assuming TS4 would sell while they were developing it because it hadn't even been released, yet?

Yeah what an oddity that someone developing a game would think that there game would sell right?

>Apparently, you seem to be the blind and ignorant one in this argument.

Except that of the two of us I'm the only one who's actually worked in game development and it's clear that you don't know what you're talking about.

>They had plenty of time to develop this system.

Uhm no they didn't. This game started out as an online/MMO type game, which I'm sure is yet another thing that you're completely clueless about.

At a certain point in the game's production the budget and development time were significantly reduced and the game was scaled back in size and scope.

>They had plenty of time to go back over it and think about how it works and put more thought and logic into it.

Again, no they didn't.

During development you get locked into certain decisions early on that you simply can't go back and change months later in the development process.

It's a result of poor planning or lack of foresight, not the BS reason(s) you're spewing.

>You know why they didn't? Because this game is designed for people to only play with 1 sim or 1 family. So everything in the world around you doesn't matter.

Yeah, it's almost like it started out production as a MMO type game where the player would only control one sim/family. Weird huh?

>It is plumming ridiculous that sims I create that own a store and have not hired anyone else are not working at their stores when I visit with a different family.

It's expected really, not ridiculous.

What about the base game that you were disappointed with made you think that you'd be satisfied with the EP?

>The game assigns some random pooled worker. How hard is it to add a few lines of code --if owned will be there--.

Harder than you think.

>It's not that complicated

Says the person who's never coded a video game.

>it just requires a little forethought and logic.

Yes, and had they planned this stuff out when the game base game started production then they wouldn't have this problem, but then again according to you based on nothing but your own conspiracy theories Get To Work was in full on production alongside the base game.

>The careers...don't even get me started. Instead of task, task, task, they could have made them their own mini games. This is a freaking simulation people. I would have loved to have the opportunity to set up and run my own hospital or doctor's office. I would have loved an actual disease system that spread through the world with some logic. They could have introduced a criminal system with the detective career and allowed us to solve actual crime happening in the world.

Yeah if EA gave them more time and money and hadn't scaled the game back from what it originally was that stuff might have been possible at one point, but it isn't any longer.

>It's just absurd that a simulation game doesn't actually simulate anything. What they need to do is hire some developers with some simulation experience because this team fails at it bad.

These games don't have the mass appeal they once had. Between the release of The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 there are way more outlets out there for entertainment constantly vying for people's attention and smaller/simpler games like Minecraft, Facebook games, Phone games, etc, can now easily give people exactly what they want in short bursts rather than having to sit down and invest in anything.

Simulation games are archaic now days and only appeal a niche audience, not mention the fact that when games like Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto keep adding more and more simulation elements to their games that are focused purely on simulation seem tame in comparison.

The modern gaming age passed by The Sims basically. It's less relevant now. The Sims will always have amazing potential but it generally never has and probably never will allow the types of freedoms people can find in other games now days. The Sims will always be more restrictive than games like Skyrim or GTA or whatever and that doesn't have anything to do with violence or combat but more that in something like Skyrim you can get married, have kids, build house, have a business, etc, but you can also leave that stuff at any moment and explore a cave or do a quest (that doesn't involve combat) for someone or numerous other things and on top of that the modding community for Skyrim is huge and constantly creating insane content of different types, sizes, and varieties.

You also have MMOs and games like Second Life that people have as alternatives to get invested in as well.

The problems of this game aren't a result of the development team. It doesn't matter who you hire to work on it because they're never going to be able to deliver the game you're asking for especially when EA handles things the way that they do.

You don't know me or my credentials. And it isn't ok to be rude and call anyone names. Stop acting like an elitist jerk. kthnxbai

Besides, anyone who has been part of this community for a long time knows what's up. The devs have explained their development cycle many times over the years. Google is your friend, kid. So just because it doesn't align with the cycle of the indie game you worked on, doesn't mean it is false.
  • Options
    PhuxionPhuxion Posts: 67 Member
    edited April 2015
    > @Mstybl95 said:
    > You don't know me or my credentials.

I know that you've never worked for a video game studio or else you wouldn't be stating the flat out lies you keep saying, but then again prove me wrong. Pretty sure you can't.

>And it isn't ok to be rude and call anyone names. Stop acting like an elitist jerk. kthnxbai

But it's okay when you do it? Nice hypocritical attitude you've got there.

Also it's kind of silly to put "kthnxbai" in a post mid way through and then continuing on.

> Besides, anyone who has been part of this community for a long time knows what's up.

Apparently not you.

>The devs have explained their development cycle many times over the years.

But they've never stated that "they develop the first and second EPs while the base game is still in development" That is a flat out lie told by you. It's not something that was ever stated by any of the devs.

The situation was/is exactly like I described it earlier. They're never in full on production of an EP while the base game is in development. They might do some pre-vis stuff or pre-production artwork, but it's nothing remotely close to what you're inferring or lying about.

>Google is your friend, kid.

Then you should easily be able to provide a link of something that proves you're not lying.

>So just because it doesn't align with the cycle of the indie game you worked on, doesn't mean it is false.

An indie dev cycle is nothing like what I described. Indie games generally don't tend to have things like milestones in their production pipeline.

There are people like Jeff Green who used to work for GFW who eventually went to join the Sims Team before leaving EA and joining Pop Cap and is now a consultant. He's publicly spoken about what it was like, not to mention if you actually were in the industry and went to events like E3, GDC, Gamescom, etc, you could actually easily talk to developers and learn a lot about how video games work rather than making constant assumptions and stating your opinions as facts or lies like you do.

All you're doing now is lashing out because I made you look bad. You of course don't admit that you're wrong about anything, you instead try to make the situation about me but all your doing is further proving my point about what it is I'm saying.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited April 2015

On the day you don't follow your Sim to work, there are no job requirements. You get average performance.

I mean it's there in the requirements like gain charisma to level 2, etc. It's not a task that appears like when you're with them at work. I don't have to do this?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    CommanderKeenCommanderKeen Posts: 614 Member
    All you're doing now is lashing out because I made you look bad.

Or... because you are being so hostile? Maybe? Listen, if I, the guy who gets the most "How rude!" responses on the forum, thinks you are being rude, well, that's saying a lot. :) Perhaps you should go back to lurking for a bit, eh?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    > @CommanderKeen said:
    > Or... because you are being so hostile? Maybe?

I was meeting hostility with hostility. I simply went beyond what would've been expected of my response and often times people don't know how to deal with that which was demonstrated here. It's not really surprising though.

The majority of people who post on video game forums aren't going to know how game development actually works, however they have no problems making assumptions, stating their opinions as facts, or lying about why things are they way they are. When somebody comes a long and actually points out the faults in what they're saying the original poster either admits they are wrong, argues, lashes out, or doesn't respond. When said person goes the argument route they generally can't actually make a proper argument because everything they've said has been shot down or shown to be incorrect and simply turns to lashing out. The only other options they have are either to admit they're wrong, which obviously didn't happen here, or not respond.

>Listen, if I, the guy who gets the most "How rude!" responses on the forum, thinks you are being rude, well, that's saying a lot.

Not really. It only implies that you have a certain level of arrogance about yourself that you feel the need to state that and dictate to others how to behave.

>Perhaps you should go back to lurking for a bit, eh?

Why, because you all of a sudden feel intimidated? Scared that I'll take over your precious "how rude" status that for whatever dumb reason you feel so proud of? Why did you even respond in the first place? What did you add to any of this?Maybe you're just the type of person who feels his opinion needs to be heard regardless if it's something that needs to be said or not simply because it was a thought that made it's way through that shallow brain of yours.
  • Options
    CommanderKeenCommanderKeen Posts: 614 Member
    You're funny. :p
  • Options
    > @CommanderKeen said:
    > You're funny.

I know, and that's my arrogance showing. >:)
  • Options
    PurplebutterflyPurplebutterfly Posts: 158 Member

One of the job requirements in the medical career is to chat with 2 patients . How do I do that without following my sim to work?

Can you get promoted without EVER joining the sim for work for the active careers? I've never seen a promotion happen while performance was average.
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member

All you're doing now is lashing out because I made you look bad. You of course don't admit that you're wrong about anything, you instead try to make the situation about me but all your doing is further proving my point about what it is I'm saying.

Funny, only person I've seen in this thread who looks bad is you. By your third post you were calling people greedy and ignorant simply because they weren't listening to your "expertise". Yeah, you're a keeper.
  • Options

Can you get promoted without EVER joining the sim for work for the active careers? I've never seen a promotion happen while performance was average.

I'm curious about this as well. The couple of times I let them go alone I didn't see a noticeable movement in the meter. How much longer does it take to get promotions if you NEVER follow them in?
  • Options
    mortia wrote: »

I'm curious about this as well. The couple of times I let them go alone I didn't see a noticeable movement in the meter. How much longer does it take to get promotions if you NEVER follow them in?

I'm also wondering this. The meter doesn't move when I don't join them. In one instance, I was pretty sure it actually went down.
  • Options
    Funny, only person I've seen in this thread who looks bad is you. By your third post you were calling people greedy and ignorant simply because they weren't listening to your "expertise". Yeah, you're a keeper.

Anybody arguing with anybody on a video game forum looks bad. Don't try to spin it as if there's some moral high ground, or like there's a prize of respect to won. I also liked the part where you avoided mentioning how others acted after I said those things, and that's part of my point, ie that they, you, me, etc, are nothing special. You/him/her/it can try to act like your the better person, or that you're doing good, but really you're no different than I am or else you wouldn't have even responded.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Anybody arguing with anybody on a video game forum looks bad. Don't try to spin it as if there's some moral high ground, or like there's a prize of respect to won. I also liked the part where you avoided mentioning how others acted after I said those things, and that's part of my point, ie that they, you, me, etc, are nothing special. You/him/her/it can try to act like your the better person, or that you're doing good, but really you're no different than I am or else you wouldn't have even responded.

OH MY GOD! As someone who's been called rude on several occasions, I have to admit that you're also arguing, making everything that you've said nothing but hypocrisy.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    OH MY GOD! As someone who's been called rude on several occasions, I have to admit that you're also arguing, making everything that you've said nothing but hypocrisy.

I was including myself in that statement. I'm being self critical and critical of others as well in that response. Thanks for noticing and getting the message completely wrong though.
  • Options

I was including myself in that statement. I'm being self critical and critical of others as well in that response. Thanks for noticing and getting the message completely wrong though.

Haha. You remind me of the engergizer bunny.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Eh...put him/her on ignore. Problem solved.

I have done the doctor career without ever following the sim and there was never a promotion until I bit the bullet and went. Then I was promoted on the first day.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

I have done the doctor career without ever following the sim and there was never a promotion until I bit the bullet and went. Then I was promoted on the first day.

This is what I'm getting at. I have not been promoted unless I actually followed them. What really irks me is that a guru personally told me in a post a while back that I would not need to follow my sim to work if I didn't want to. I guess they just failed to mention, "At your own risk."
  • Options
    Haha. You remind me of the engergizer bunny.

I'm just happy to see that you're admitting you were wrong.
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

This is what I'm getting at. I have not been promoted unless I actually followed them. What really irks me is that a guru personally told me in a post a while back that I would not need to follow my sim to work if I didn't want to. I guess they just failed to mention, "At your own risk."

That's a problem then, because I got tired of following them after about a Sim week and opted to spend time with my other Sims at home. I was also under the impression that I could just leave them be and that they would progress as any non-active career would. That's a big bummer if that's not the case.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    My scientist got promoted while I was at work with my doctor today. So...it does happen, but i don't know how it works. I go to work with her every other day/week depending on how I feel when the box pops up.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    People be saying, "you don't need to do this" and "you don't need to follow that"

Come on! If you're not going to do anything, then why play it? How is your sim gonna move on and improve? Those are, believe it or not, the only tasks that the game will ever going to give you if you want your sim to succeed.

What very invalid points. Are you guys even trying? Can y'all hear yourselves right now? I need a dose of common sense here asap
  • Options
    tkwolftkwolf Posts: 362 Member
    For an expansion, 5 careers would have been good. (Aside from baking and retail). Business and Modeling would have been great addition as careers.
    INTRODUCING.....TA DA DA DAAAAAA
    SIMS 4! STAR WARS!
    BU7XCq7.jpg
  • Options
    Jimil wrote: »
    People be saying, "you don't need to do this" and "you don't need to follow that"

Come on! If you're not going to do anything, then why play it? How is your sim gonna move on and improve? Those are, believe it or not, the only tasks that the game will ever going to give you if you want your sim to succeed.

What very invalid points. Are you guys even trying? Can y'all hear yourselves right now? I need a dose of common sense here asap

There are parts of the careers that serve no purpose. For instance in the Detective career there's never any need to go out on patrol. You advance in the career by solving cases, but all you do on patrol is break up fights and issue citations, neither of which contribute to solving a case, not to mention that while on patrol those two events happen so infrequently that's easy to eat up your work day standing/walking around waiting for those events to occur. Even within the game's own limitations it would've made more sense to just combine the Patrol/Crime Scene/APB instances into a single large area instance that allows you to discover clues, talk to witnesses, break up fights, issue citations, and arrest a suspect all within a single screen/load/instance/area/map.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I am confused a bit. Every day my sim goes to work it's something new. I don't feel like it's repetitive at all. I will admit though, I am not at the top of their career. I actually feel like this brings a lot more depth to the game and I'm loving it.